Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Fuji X Series > Fuji X-100 Series

Fuji X-100 Series This forum is for fans of the rangefinder retrostyled Fuji X Series of digital cameras.

View Poll Results: The new Fuji ... are you buying new or will you wait and buy a used one later on?
I want it now so will buy new. 48 58.54%
I'll wait and pick up a used one and save some money. 34 41.46%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

The new Fuji ... are you buying new or will you wait and buy a used one later on?
Old 02-01-2011   #1
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

The new Fuji ... are you buying new or will you wait and buy a used one later on?

Not wanting to be left out of the 'starting an X100 thread brigade' I thought I'd ask this question.

It'll be an expensive camera in Oz I supect and as much as I like the look and potential of it, if I do get one, I'll be waiting until a used example crops up at a good price that would come into Australia under our $1000.00 import tax threshold.

That could be up to a year down the track of course but in the meantime I have numerous toys to keep me occupied!

Old 02-01-2011   #2
dazedgonebye

I'm toying with the idea of buying one to replace most of my 35mm work. It would be my digital hexar af...though I could not bear to sell the film camera.

I guess if it proves out, I might buy one before a used copy becomes available.

How's that for a wishy-washy non-answer?

"And I know now that the cure for my childhood was not to be looked after, as I once believed; it was to look after someone else." ~Philip Norman

Photography Blog
Flickr
Twitter

Old 02-01-2011   #3
back alley
IMAGES

oh keith...i have now officially lost faith in all humanity...

Old 02-01-2011   #4
NickTrop

This is a really cool camera, reasonably priced imo. (At least in the US...) However, I'm of the belief that, when it comes to digital:

- small sensor digicam output = small sensor digicam output
- APSC output = APSC output
- FF output = FF output

What this means, is that manufacturer, form factor - whatever, doesn't matter much and won't improve your photography. If the sensor size is the same in a $150 compact digicam, IQ will be practically the same in a near $400 digicam. The image quality of the Fuji will be virtually the same ballpark as my Nikon DSLR - both APSC. As much as I think this is a way cool camera, and I'm sure that it will take fine pics... there's simply no compelling reason for me to purchase one. Coolness factor and form factor simply isn't enough.

Old 02-01-2011   #5
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
oh keith...i have now officially lost faith in all humanity...

Sorry Joe ... the devil made me do it!

Old 02-01-2011   #6
dazedgonebye

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTrop View Post
This is a really cool camera, reasonably priced imo. (At least in the US...) However, I'm of the belief that, when it comes to digital:

- FF output = FF output

What this means, is that manufacturer, form factor - whatever, doesn't matter much and won't improve your photography. If the sensor size is the same in a $150 compact digicam, IQ will be practically the same in a near $400 digicam. The image quality of the Fuji will be virtually the same ballpark as my Nikon DSLR - both APSC. As much as I think this is a way cool camera, and I'm sure that it will take fine pics... there's simply no compelling reason for me to purchase one. Coolness factor and form factor simply isn't enough.
I might not have a compelling/logical reason for this...but I would not carry even a small DSLR with me all of the time. I would be comfortable carrying the x100.

"And I know now that the cure for my childhood was not to be looked after, as I once believed; it was to look after someone else." ~Philip Norman

Photography Blog
Flickr
Twitter

Old 02-01-2011   #7
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazedgonebye View Post
I might not have a compelling/logical reason for this...but I would not carry even a small DSLR with me all of the time. I would be comfortable carrying the x100.
Yep, same here. Put a 100 deposit already.

Old 02-01-2011   #8
NickTrop

Dazed... I don't carry my DSLR around with me all the time either. But I do carry a camera with me at all times. It's either a Fuji Finepix F20 or an infrared converted Nikon Coolpix, depending on mood, lighting conditions. Both are equiped with a mirror Flipbac for shooting from the hip. Both fit into a small leather carrying case that I clip to my belt. Anything larger than these that does not have a retractable lens? Wouldn't fit in to a for-true and for-real "carry with me all the time" camera. This includes the D5000 or the Fuji or any of the micro 4/3 or that hideous Sony with the tiny body and the laughably large lens... These cameras are all too big.

The Fuji, while nice, simply is too big for this purpose. It looks to be the size of the Fujica Compact Deluxe fixed lens rangefinder. Nice to handle, nice size... But no practical advantage over a compact DSLR - a little smaller and lighter but "meh" so what... Still too big to be pocketable. Still to big to be a camera you carry with you, literally, all the time...

Old 02-01-2011   #9
Quash

New. I like the carry around factor + large sensor. I'll keep my D90 and SB900 for indoors/home. But, 35 mm carry around will mean I'll have my camera with me much more often. The price is about the same as the body of the D7000 or the D90 when introduced. So, the price is high for me but not unfair. Don't like that it does not ship with the adapter for filter and lens hood, though. Think that's cheap. With a fixed lens, I'll be getting a good filter. Especially if I'm dropping the sucker in my cargo pants pocket all the time with lens cap. I've made a deal with myself that I will not treat this camera with kids gloves. It will be used and have the nicks to prove it.

Old 02-01-2011   #10
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

Quote:
Still to big to be a camera you carry with you, literally, all the time...
We'll see, because that's exactly what I'm planning to do. There really isn't any other digital camera with a good sized sensor and a viewfinder this size with a fast 35mm equiv lens.

Old 02-01-2011   #11
bgb

I think the price new will be too much here in little New Zealand so I will be waiting to hear if it's as good as we all hope.
Might even try to import one if the reviews are wonderful.
Might I add that I'm getting sick of waiting ...give us the camera Fuji !

Old 02-01-2011   #12
NickTrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by videogamemaker View Post
We'll see, because that's exactly what I'm planning to do. There really isn't any other digital camera with a good sized sensor and a viewfinder this size with a fast 35mm equiv lens.
Samsung NX 10 with pancake lens... But for the price difference I'd go with the Fuji... I get what you're saying, and your intentions may be good? And I don't mean to dissuade you...

However, anything bigger than a Minox, or an XA, or a little modern compact digicam with a retractable lens? It will soon not be a "with you all the time camera..." It's too big. After the "new toy" novelty wears off, you'll use it as much as your DSLR. It will get use, but it won't be on your person at all times.

In order to do this, the camera has to be so small and light you are not conscious of it, forget it's there. And taking it with you wherever you go is as "subconscious" as grabbing your keys or your cell phone.

This will be your everyday camera for a few weeks at best...

Betchya...

In my case, I grab the case and attach it to my belt when I get dressed in the morning. I forget it's there, not aware of it. And yes, that means I had to swallow my pride, "give in" to digital, and shoot with a very "uncool" soccer mom silver small sensor digicam or Nikon "Coolpix".

There's a reason why similarly sized film cameras stay on my bureau every morning and used for "events" and when I feel like shooting them... It's the same reason so-called "compact" rangefinders got trounced by point-n-shoots...

Nobody carried a Yashica GX, Oly RC, or even a Trip with them at all times... It's why the XA was a break trhough. And people didn't always have a camera with them until the plastic fantastics came out - with all their concessions, in the 80's...

We've been down this road before... decades ago.

Last edited by NickTrop : 02-01-2011 at 16:16.

Old 02-01-2011   #13
Paddy C
Unused film collector

I was sure I was going to buy one but have come to realize that what I really want is something small with interchangeable lenses.

The EPL2 is looking very good right now.

I know the X100 will be very nice and I'm sure the image quality is going to be great, but it doesn't solve the problems I want it to solve.

Of course wait until I see the samples and then pull out the credit card.

Old 02-01-2011   #14
jarski

least while I still own M8, no need rushing.

Old 02-01-2011   #15
ruby.monkey

At the moment I'm not planning to buy one at all.

Old 02-01-2011   #16
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby.monkey View Post
At the moment I'm not planning to buy one at all.

Nor was I based on what it's going to cost but then thought that maybe a year down the track when everyone's sick of it and Nikon and Canon have broken out of their stupors to offer something different as well ... it may be a bargain.

Or not of course!

Actually ... if Nikon in particular do ever offer something technically similar to the X100 but styled like a slightly smaller S3 the feeding frenzy the Fuji has created may seem insignificant by comparison. Fuji's deliberate move to market a retro design and the general reaction it's received certainly won't have been missed by the big two!

Last edited by Keith : 02-01-2011 at 17:05.

Old 02-01-2011   #17
ZeissFan

I'll wait until it hits Goodwill.

Old 02-01-2011   #18
Frank Petronio
-

I succumbed and pre-ordered since it hit all my buttons, I actually prefer EVFs and Fuji's implementation looks promising. And I have never had a bad Fuji camera, from the early Digilux model to the 6x9s, so I am hoping glitches will be minimal. And while my Pany G1/20mm is great, my 2008 "Camera of the Year" is looking rather ancient these days, especially at noisey ISOs over 640. The DP Review preview, with its comments about feel and build quality, tipped me over the edge.

That said, it is hard to over-estimate the camera industry's ability not to listen to its customers.

At least by pre-ordering, I will get one earlier and if I hate it, I can still flip it for near full price. But if wait for everyone to get theirs first, and it is popular, then I may likely be waiting until Fall before I'll be able to get one.

Nikon is going to have to really hit one out of the park to get me to wait.

Old 02-01-2011   #19
gavinlg

I'm going to wait and see what olympus/panasonic have up their sleeves with their rumored pro-m4/3 cameras (due pretty soon actually) and also Nikon with their rumored pro mirrorless.

To be honest I have little faith in Olympus/Panasonic to bring out something as functionally good as the x100 - they always have great ideas and then stuff them up by bringing out mainly consumer orientated marketing dictated crap (slow zooms and poor user interfaces). The nikon is an unknown quantity but it will be interesting either way.

I'll buy the x100 new though.

Old 02-01-2011   #20
wlewisiii
StayAtHome Dad & Photog

~5 or more years old? Yeah, then maybe.

edit: I just want to add that while I find it somewhat interesting, it's way overpriced for me.

Playing and learning daily with: 4x5 Crown Graphic, Leica IIIf w/ 50/2 Summitar, Nikon F2 Photomic w/ 50/1.4 & Olympus E-PL1.

"Some people are 'the glass is half full' types. Some people are 'the glass is half empty' types. I'm a 'the glass is full of radioactive waste and I just drank half of it' type. And I'm still thirsty." -- Bill Mattocks

Old 02-01-2011   #21
bwcolor

I'm trying to decide on new or used, M10, X200, or X2... or maybe a GXR MKII. It is such a difficult decision.

Old 02-01-2011   #22
tbarker13
shooter of stuff

If I get one, it will be from an unhappy/unsatisfied beta tester.
I want to see these things in action - and lots of images from them - before I'll even consider making a purchase.

Old 02-01-2011   #23
f16sunshine

It's a lovely concept and form factor for sure. I can't see how it will work for me as a "normalish" shooter. I have an m8 and had long owned an rd1. Every time I tried to shoot a 25-28mm the subject isolation was not what I wanted. Combine that with percpective distortion at close range... Deal breaker. A 23mm f2 cropped to a 35mm just is not appealing even though I love the concept in every other way. Long winded way of saying. Good luck fuji but, pass.

Old 02-01-2011   #24
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

I'll consider it when it's about $400 and if there's nothing more interesting at that time

Seriously, it'll produce digital images just like digital images from any other digital cameras with similar sensor specs. That's not challenging anyone's assumption, just my take.

Old 02-01-2011   #25
tokek

the lack of a mortgage says what the heck where else can I waste my money

Old 02-01-2011   #26
Leica All Day

I have no plans of buying one.....I am happy with what I have now......

that said, I am interested to play around with one and see how cool they are....

cheers, michael

Old 02-01-2011   #27
andredossantos

Wake me up when Fuji makes a digital G690BL

Website

Flickr

Old 02-01-2011   #28
cgiff

Quote:
Samsung NX 10 with pancake lens... But for the price difference I'd go with the Fuji... I get what you're saying, and your intentions may be good? And I don't mean to dissuade you...

However, anything bigger than a Minox, or an XA, or a little modern compact digicam with a retractable lens? It will soon not be a "with you all the time camera..." It's too big. After the "new toy" novelty wears off, you'll use it as much as your DSLR. It will get use, but it won't be on your person at all times.

In order to do this, the camera has to be so small and light you are not conscious of it, forget it's there. And taking it with you wherever you go is as "subconscious" as grabbing your keys or your cell phone.

This will be your everyday camera for a few weeks at best...

Betchya...

In my case, I grab the case and attach it to my belt when I get dressed in the morning. I forget it's there, not aware of it. And yes, that means I had to swallow my pride, "give in" to digital, and shoot with a very "uncool" soccer mom silver small sensor digicam or Nikon "Coolpix".

There's a reason why similarly sized film cameras stay on my bureau every morning and used for "events" and when I feel like shooting them... It's the same reason so-called "compact" rangefinders got trounced by point-n-shoots...

Nobody carried a Yashica GX, Oly RC, or even a Trip with them at all times... It's why the XA was a break trhough. And people didn't always have a camera with them until the plastic fantastics came out - with all their concessions, in the 80's...

When I was commuting in Manhattan, I carried a D300 (and then D700) with me every day.

I then carried my Mamiya 7 with me... every day.

Now I carry either an OM-1 or Canonet with me every day.

The X100 will gladly step in. I love film, but for the convenience of a digital carry-everywhere camera, I'll make due. It'll be the convenience processing the digital files I used to get, with the convenience of carrying the small, old film cameras.

So yeah, I'll probably be buying one.

Old 02-02-2011   #29
fotomeow
name under my name

In and of itself, its a great camera. Finally, an updated dig RF-type fixed 35 with manual focus, a minimum of APS-C size chip, with nice retro looks and some manual operation (EV+/-, SS to 4000, f stop).
At the least i will investigate at the local dealer, but I'm pretty happy with my combo now:
an M8 with a CV Ultron Asph 28/1.9 and an RD1s with a Lux 50mm; so b/w them I have a 35mm/75mm set up. I could use the Fuji fixed 35mm to replace the M8/CV 28mm combo, but I would probably lose some of the feel and consistency that I have with the M8/RD1s combo.
One cool feature are the "film types" you can have on the Fuji: select Provia, Velvia, or Astia film effects. Cool!

Galleria RFF
[size=1]old stuff, new stuff, stuff that works and stuff that doesn't.

Old 02-02-2011   #30
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

How about not buying it at all? I own some fifty fixed lens cameras, and consistently fail to use more than two of them (and these both take medium format film, where the bulk and weight savings of a fixed lens camera are far more significant). I'd rather get rid of some 47 than get yet another...

Old 02-02-2011   #31
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

Quote:

The Nx 10 and 100 both have underwhelming sensors, and the 20mm is a 2.8. From the sample images the Fuji looks to have at least a 2 if not 3 stop advantage in light gathering abilities, and here in Reykjavik where half the year is dark, I need that. I think both of them are quite ugly, not that it matters much, but a little it does, and they are similar price range.

I borrowed a friend's canon S90, the ultimate pocket camera at the moment. Tiny tiny, raw, decent lens and sensor (for a compact) and while it was always in my pocket, I rarely used it because the image quality was just so far below what I want to work with in the digital dark room and eventually print (for the subjects I like to shoot, that is). So while I'll jump all over the first large sensor truly pocket camera, I think we're a few years off from that.

Well, like you said, we'll have to wait and see. I have carried cameras too large for a pants pocket, needing a coat pocket with me every day, before I got addicted to DSLRs and the image quality they bring. I also know a friend that does take his Trip with him everywhere he goes.

Old 02-02-2011   #32
Arjay
Time Traveller

Ever since I started using rangefinder cameras with a selection of lenses, I grew fond of the 35mm FOV, so yes, the X100 does look like a very attractive offering. I often use my Hexar RF w/ 35mm or my Hexar AF in an easy to carry miniature messenger bag, so the x100 could very well be my everyday camera.

Having used various digital cameras over the last ten years, I have learnt to never buy a new digital camera immediately upon product launch, because the first firmware will be almost invariably buggy.

I'll buy new, but only after the first firmware update has been published.

I'm already preparing a list of gear that I will sell to finance the purchase, and I'm confident it will provide the necessary funds.

My RFF Gallery, My Flickr, My Ipernity, all presenting different bodies of work

Last edited by Arjay : 02-02-2011 at 01:09.

Old 02-02-2011   #33
damien.murphy
Damien

Quote:

- FF output = FF output

I agree re: output quality, but you disregard ergonomics - if you can't get the picture in the first place, it hardly matters what the ultimate image quality will be like.

Old 02-02-2011   #34
sper
-

People talk about how nice it is to buy new Leica gear. Well I had to buy my Bessa used. All the lenses too. The only cameras I bought new was my 5D2, and my Voigtlander 40mm Ultron f2.

THe Fuji X100 I want brand spanking new. I'm going to have to save for months to afford one though, but it'll be worth it (if I delivers on it's promises on release, obvi). Till then I picked up a GA645 for super cheap. That and my Ultron outfitted 5D2 will have to tide me over until I can get my hands on the X100. Thank god they're not making them in limited numbers!

Old 02-02-2011   #35
dreilly
Chillin' in Geneva

For me it depends on IQ. If it's high-iso capability is among the best of the APS-C bunch, that's one important point for the work I do. Second if autofocus speed. Doesn't need to match the D300/D700 3d focusing magic, but has to be quicker than my E-P1! If it meets those two goals I'll be very tempted.

For me carrying a camera with me all the time (in a bag of some sort) is just my habit. Size matters but not so much.

I however am also interested in a pro m4/3 camera that Olympus is rumored to be coming out with soon.

That should have a jump in high-iso performance and af speed as well for it to win my affection.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xenar/collections/

No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film. ~Robert Adams, Darkroom & Creative Camera Techniques, May 1995 (I suppose that should now read: "and have a full battery and an empty memory card." Though that sounds so dull.

Old 02-02-2011   #36
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreilly View Post
For me it depends on IQ. If it's high-iso capability is among the best of the APS-C bunch, that's one important point for the work I do. Second if autofocus speed. Doesn't need to match the D300/D700 3d focusing magic, but has to be quicker than my E-P1! If it meets those two goals I'll be very tempted.

For me carrying a camera with me all the time (in a bag of some sort) is just my habit. Size matters but not so much.

I however am also interested in a pro m4/3 camera that Olympus is rumored to be coming out with soon.

That should have a jump in high-iso performance and af speed as well for it to win my affection.
Example images have already been shown, and while they were jpeg only, it was really impressive iso 6400, regardless of sensor size. Blew the m4/3 stuff out of the water. Speaking of which, while there are some nice m4/3 lenses, and some ok bodies feature wise, none of the sensors are really that great at iso 1600 compared to the good crop sensors.

The only unknown at this point is AF speed.

As for cost, I just finished a nice freelance gig that could swing me an m9 body if I wanted, but going for the X100, a trip to mongolia and paying more on my house instead.

Old 02-02-2011   #37
jsrockit

It seems to be the camera I've been waiting for and I don't expect it to be any worse than any other camera I use... so yes, I will buy it new. I hate DSLRs, so I'm a sucker for nice compact cameras.

Old 02-02-2011   #38
Tompas
Wannabe Künstler

I'll wait for you guys to test it for me.

Old 02-02-2011   #39
CK Dexter Haven

I kinda agree with this. I sold my Canon S90 simply because it was 'only' capable of delivering the same types of pictures as all preceding P&S digitals. My lone issue with the X100 is that it's still a very wide angle lens attached to a medium sized sensor, and so DOF control will still be a bit limited. I'll wait to see what the first set of buyers can do with it before i'm really tempted.

I've looked for Leica M8+24mm images for inspiration, but the only ones that really demonstrate what i would want are the ones with the 24/1.4, and the Fuji's lens doesn't do 1.4. I would not like to have to shoot wide open all the time just to get foreground/background separation.

I'm not really looking at Image Quality. I'm interested in image QUALITY. I hope it's a smash, though, so they can get to work on a 50mm equivalent, and/or full frame. Or that a competitor is inspired by its success....

Quote:

- FF output = FF output

Old 02-02-2011   #40
GSNfan
-

I'm not going to buy any new digital camera until the second generation sensors hit the market.