Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Fuji X Series > Fuji X-100 Series

Fuji X-100 Series This forum is for fans of the rangefinder retrostyled Fuji X Series of digital cameras.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Viewfinder examples
Old 02-02-2011   #1
ochong
Registered User
 
ochong is offline
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 43
Viewfinder examples

The @FujiGuys have posted some more viewfinder examples.

These should be somewhat representative of the OPTICAL view finder.





This was posted yesterday, but it's accuracy is questionable compared to the one's above. My guess is this is either a mockup of the ELECTRONIC view finder or the LCD display.

Last edited by ochong : 02-02-2011 at 06:33.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011   #2
Quash
Registered User
 
Quash is offline
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 31
I just don't know why I would ever need to flip to the electronic viewfinder if I have all these options to overlay in the optical viewfinder. Live histogram in OVF? Awesome.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011   #3
GSNfan
-
 
GSNfan is offline
Join Date: Dec 2010
Age: 39
Posts: 644
How they did get all that info projected on the OVF, do we have that sort of technology?
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011   #4
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer
 
videogamemaker is offline
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Reykjavik, Iceland
Posts: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSNfan View Post
How they did get all that info projected on the OVF, do we have that sort of technology?
Ummm, not to be offensive, but have you been paying attention at all? That is THE DEFINITIVE technology of the X100, being able to project info on the OVF, or cover the opposite side with a physical shutter to turn it into an EVF completely.

Seriously, just check the finepix website, they do a great job of explaining the hybrid viewfinder. Yes, they can project anything they want onto the OVF. A nintendo emulator, a real time histogram, photos of your grandma, anything.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011   #5
ruby.monkey
Registered User
 
ruby.monkey is offline
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Garden of England
Age: 49
Posts: 4,553
Look up heads-up displays.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011   #6
tic
Registered User
 
tic's Avatar
 
tic is offline
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 143
Awsome!
...
__________________
Leica IIIf + Summitar 50/2; Leica M2 + CV 15/4.5, ZM 35/2, Summicron 50/2, Elmarit 90/2.8
FED 5B + Orion-15 28/6, Jupiter-12 35/2.8, Industar-61 55/2.8, Jupiter-11 135/4
Contax IIIa + CV 21/4, Biogon 35/2.8, Sonnar 50/1.5, Jupiter-9 85/2, Jupiter-11 135/4
Super Ikonta IV (6x6); Rollei XF35; Canonet QL17 G-III

RFF Gallery, flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011   #7
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer
 
videogamemaker is offline
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Reykjavik, Iceland
Posts: 289
I don't quite get the 3rd image, the "focus distance index". The other 3 are referring to things being displayed inside the white framing square, but this third one doesn't seem to be talking about the green square, which is in the other 3 as well. Is it just referring to the bottom blue distance scale that is also present in all 4 images?
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011   #8
GSNfan
-
 
GSNfan is offline
Join Date: Dec 2010
Age: 39
Posts: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by videogamemaker View Post
Ummm, not to be offensive, but have you been paying attention at all? That is THE DEFINITIVE technology of the X100, being able to project info on the OVF, or cover the opposite side with a physical shutter to turn it into an EVF completely.

Seriously, just check the finepix website, they do a great job of explaining the hybrid viewfinder. Yes, they can project anything they want onto the OVF. A nintendo emulator, a real time histogram, photos of your grandma, anything.
What I was trying to say is how they can project all that info onto the OVF which is transparent glass? Yes, I know by closing the VF shutter the EVE is projected on its, but AFTER closing the shutter, not in transparent mode.

I think even your grandma would agree that you're taking this X100 thing too seriously.

Btw, what technology they used to photograph the viewfinder, or this is just a photos of the back LCD, which is the same as the EVF?
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011   #9
ochong
Registered User
 
ochong is offline
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by videogamemaker View Post
I don't quite get the 3rd image, the "focus distance index". The other 3 are referring to things being displayed inside the white framing square, but this third one doesn't seem to be talking about the green square, which is in the other 3 as well. Is it just referring to the bottom blue distance scale that is also present in all 4 images?
Yes I think this is simply highlighting the blue distance scale by showing a focus point selected off center. The red marker is sitting over the 1 meter mark which I can imagine is the distance the dog is away. The white area should be the depth of field.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011   #10
ochong
Registered User
 
ochong is offline
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSNfan View Post
Btw, what technology they used to photograph the viewfinder, or this is just a photos of the back LCD, which is the same as the EVF?
These are mockup images that are representative of the information that is provided in the viewfinder. They are not photographed from the actual viewfinder.

The @FujiGuys did mention that they will put up a video looking through the viewfinder. We'll have to wait and see.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011   #11
ruby.monkey
Registered User
 
ruby.monkey is offline
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Garden of England
Age: 49
Posts: 4,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSNfan View Post
What I was trying to say is how they can project all that info onto the OVF which is transparent glass? Yes, I know by closing the VF shutter the EVE is projected on its, but AFTER closing the shutter, not in transparent mode.

I think even your grandma would agree that you're taking this X100 thing too seriously.

Btw, what technology they used to photograph the viewfinder, or this is just a photos of the back LCD, which is the same as the EVF?
dpreview has a diagram of the finder's wobbly bits.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011   #12
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer
 
videogamemaker is offline
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Reykjavik, Iceland
Posts: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSNfan View Post
What I was trying to say is how they can project all that info onto the OVF which is transparent glass? Yes, I know by closing the VF shutter the EVE is projected on its, but AFTER closing the shutter, not in transparent mode.

I think even your grandma would agree that you're taking this X100 thing too seriously.

Btw, what technology they used to photograph the viewfinder, or this is just a photos of the back LCD, which is the same as the EVF?
I would just think someone who has proclaimed so many times how the x100 isn't worth buying, would actually know about the camera.

http://www.finepix-x100.com/sites/al...ewfinder-5.jpg

They talk about this every chance they get. Just click that image and it should all be made clear. It's a prism. It cannot be made fully opaque without the shutter closed, but it can project white very easily (that's how the frame lines are shown).
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011   #13
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives
 
shadowfox's Avatar
 
shadowfox is offline
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 8,801
How do they account for parallax which gets worse the closer the subject is?
If I focus on the face, that's not what the lens really "sees."
__________________
Have a good light,
Will


  Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011   #14
GSNfan
-
 
GSNfan is offline
Join Date: Dec 2010
Age: 39
Posts: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by videogamemaker View Post
I would just think someone who has proclaimed so many times how the x100 isn't worth buying, would actually know about the camera.

http://www.finepix-x100.com/sites/al...ewfinder-5.jpg

They talk about this every chance they get. Just click that image and it should all be made clear. It's a prism. It cannot be made fully opaque without the shutter closed, but it can project white very easily (that's how the frame lines are shown).
Exactly, it cannot be absolutely opaque unless the VF finder shutter closes, this is also I guess what that Norwegian guy meant by "double vision".

So, these images are NOT of the OVF as the OT put it up there in caps.

Last edited by Doug : 02-02-2011 at 18:23. Reason: "You X100 people need to chill and don't take us for suckers."
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011   #15
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer
 
videogamemaker is offline
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Reykjavik, Iceland
Posts: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfox View Post
How do they account for parallax which gets worse the closer the subject is?
If I focus on the face, that's not what the lens really "sees."
It's parallax corrected. They move the frame line as you focus the lens (since it has an electrical connection, it knows the distance focus)


Quote:
Originally Posted by GSNfan View Post
Exactly, it cannot be absolutely opaque unless the VF finder shutter closes, this is also I guess what that Norwegian guy meant by "double vision".

So, these images are NOT of the OVF as the OT put it up there in caps.


You X100 people need to chill...
If you project pure white, you'll see it. There is even example videos from Gizmodo showing it. Any white pixels in the OVF are being projected onto this prism. Maybe they aren't 100% opaque, but for all visual intents and purposes they are.

Hahah, dude, you're the one who keeps posting in this subforum, despite saying like 8x that you aren't going to buy one. If you haven't read the feature list (this is the top one in every single press release) then you don't understand the camera. That makes you just as much a "you x100 people" as anyone else, since none of us have one.

And no, what the Norwegian guy meant by double vision, is that the OVF with elect feature was permanently enabled in his version. It tried to project an EVF feed without closing the shutter. So he was seeing the OVF and the EVF at once, and they don't overlap correctly since they are at different magnifications and percentage of fov.

Last edited by Doug : 02-02-2011 at 18:24. Reason: quote: "... and don't take us for suckers."
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011   #16
ochong
Registered User
 
ochong is offline
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSNfan View Post
Exactly, it cannot be absolutely opaque unless the VF finder shutter closes, this is also I guess what that Norwegian guy meant by "double vision".

So, these images are NOT of the OVF as the OT put it up there in caps.


You X100 people need to chill...
These are representative of the OVF... I don't know how else you want this said. lol

Last edited by Doug : 02-02-2011 at 18:25. Reason: quote: "... and don't take us for suckers."
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011   #17
GSNfan
-
 
GSNfan is offline
Join Date: Dec 2010
Age: 39
Posts: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by videogamemaker View Post
It's parallax corrected. They move the frame line as you focus the lens (since it has an electrical connection, it knows the distance focus)




If you project pure white, you'll see it. There is even example videos from Gizmodo showing it. Any white pixels in the OVF are being projected onto this prism. Maybe they aren't 100% opaque, but for all visual intents and purposes they are.

Hahah, dude, you're the one who keeps posting in this subforum, despite saying like 8x that you aren't going to buy one. If you haven't read the feature list (this is the top one in every single press release) then you don't understand the camera. That makes you just as much a "you x100 people" as anyone else, since none of us have one.
Even if you go to a camera store they don't ask you before hand to commit to a purchase before you can ask questions, so this subforum is also not Fuji's little shot in RFF, this is where this camera is discussed. I, like many who who take photos are interested in camera and camera technology, that does not mean we'll buy every camera that is released.

Anyway, I was a sure buyer at first and since then my interest has simply decreased because the more info is put out there the more this camera seems to be over-ambitious and too good to be true... Not to mention the fact that all these X100 internet ambassadors are also doing a terrible job by being too aggressive and fanboyish.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011   #18
Ranchu
-
 
Ranchu is offline
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,695
Cool finder. So that's why people are so exited, I see now! Anybody know if the finder frame covers the entire chip?
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011   #19
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer
 
videogamemaker is offline
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Reykjavik, Iceland
Posts: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSNfan View Post
Even if you go to a camera store they don't ask you before hand to commit to a purchase before you can ask questions, so this subforum is also not Fuji's little shot in RFF, this is where this camera is discussed. I, like many who who take photos are interested in camera and camera technology, that does not mean we'll buy every camera that is released.

Anyway, I was a sure buyer at first and since then my interest has simply decreased because the more info is put out there the more this camera seems to be over-ambitious and too good to be true... Not to mention the fact that all these X100 internet ambassadors are also doing a terrible job by being too aggressive and fanboyish.
If you tell the salesman 5x in the 15 minutes you are asking questions that "I'm not going to buy it, it's not worth it" They probably won't keep answering your questions unless they are a best buy wage slave. An actual shop owner certainly wouldn't without the patience of a saint. Also if you keep telling them there is no way their facts are correct, they will probably also stop.

Mods? Can I get a name change to "X100 internet ambassador"?
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011   #20
jsrockit
Moderator
 
jsrockit's Avatar
 
jsrockit is online now
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Santiago, Chile
Age: 45
Posts: 19,744
I can't wait for this camera to solve all of my issues and if you don't agree... I will destroy you!
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011   #21
TMP
Registered User
 
TMP is offline
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: London
Posts: 20
Given its battery:

1. The EVF or even EVF's overlays on the OVF will consume a looot of battery…
2. The AF will never be as fast as the Olympus E-Px series or Panasonic GF1… Although, if it is as good as the Ricoh GR D III, that would already be something.

Last edited by TMP : 02-02-2011 at 08:47.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011   #22
jsrockit
Moderator
 
jsrockit's Avatar
 
jsrockit is online now
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Santiago, Chile
Age: 45
Posts: 19,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMP View Post
2. The AF will never be as fast as the Olympus E-Px series or Panasonic GF1… Although, if it is as good as the Ricoh GR D III, that would already be something.
Can you explain why?
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011   #23
tocalosh
Registered User
 
tocalosh is offline
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 57
Some different images and information, google translate works ok

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/r...4.html?ref=rss
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011   #24
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer
 
videogamemaker is offline
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Reykjavik, Iceland
Posts: 289
Wow, that is a cool link, thanks tocalosh.

Check out this one: http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/img/dc...l/118.jpg.html Auto ISO, and it looks like the line for 800 is where you set the maximum ISO it can pick in auto iso. A feature that wasn't confirmed before, but I was very interested in.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011   #25
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer
 
videogamemaker is offline
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Reykjavik, Iceland
Posts: 289
http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/img/dc...l/035.jpg.html

Here is an actual shot through the optical viewfinder, showing how opaque the projected info is.

That packaging is pretty nice looking.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011   #26
Sparrow
Registered User
 
Sparrow's Avatar
 
Sparrow is offline
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Perfidious Albion
Age: 67
Posts: 12,451
Wow, cluttered or what?
__________________
Regards Stewart

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015



You’re only young once, but one can always be immature.

flickr stuff
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011   #27
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer
 
videogamemaker is offline
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Reykjavik, Iceland
Posts: 289
That's with lots of extras turned on. Here is the more minimal version. Not sure if you can turn off everything but the frameline, but it does use an ambient light sensor to dim or brighten the display so it's not retina burning.

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/img/dc...l/034.jpg.html
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011   #28
Sparrow
Registered User
 
Sparrow's Avatar
 
Sparrow is offline
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Perfidious Albion
Age: 67
Posts: 12,451
... still not an M2 is it?
__________________
Regards Stewart

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015



You’re only young once, but one can always be immature.

flickr stuff
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011   #29
jsrockit
Moderator
 
jsrockit's Avatar
 
jsrockit is online now
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Santiago, Chile
Age: 45
Posts: 19,744
Sparrow, did you really expect it to be like an M2? It's a digital camera...
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011   #30
Sparrow
Registered User
 
Sparrow's Avatar
 
Sparrow is offline
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Perfidious Albion
Age: 67
Posts: 12,451
... I thought this was a wish list, and somebody would be reporting back to Fuji marketing
__________________
Regards Stewart

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015



You’re only young once, but one can always be immature.

flickr stuff
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011   #31
Steve_F
Registered User
 
Steve_F's Avatar
 
Steve_F is offline
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hampshire, UK
Age: 53
Posts: 453
I just want a vf with framelines and meter guide.. That's it. My M6TTL tells me everything I need to know.

Steve.
__________________
www.stephenfell.net

'Thoughts & Scribbles' Blog



"You look at a colour image, but read a black & white one"

"Personal Development Through Image Construction"

M6 TTL Black, M6TTL Chrome, 35/2 Summicron ASPH, 50/2 Summicron

Nikon FM3A, Mamiya RZ67 Pro II
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011   #32
jsrockit
Moderator
 
jsrockit's Avatar
 
jsrockit is online now
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Santiago, Chile
Age: 45
Posts: 19,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_F View Post
I just want a vf with framelines and meter guide.. That's it. My M6TTL tells me everything I need to know.

Steve.
Unfortuantely, it just isn't going to happen with a semi-pro digital (electronic) camera.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011   #33
Sparrow
Registered User
 
Sparrow's Avatar
 
Sparrow is offline
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Perfidious Albion
Age: 67
Posts: 12,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_F View Post
I just want a vf with framelines and meter guide.. That's it. My M6TTL tells me everything I need to know.

Steve.
... could we drop meter?
__________________
Regards Stewart

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015



You’re only young once, but one can always be immature.

flickr stuff
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011   #34
Steve_F
Registered User
 
Steve_F's Avatar
 
Steve_F is offline
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hampshire, UK
Age: 53
Posts: 453
Ok. How about an option to turn everything off in the finder except the framelines?

Had a thought. How many of these will have a red dot put on the front? Poor mans M9 fake.
__________________
www.stephenfell.net

'Thoughts & Scribbles' Blog



"You look at a colour image, but read a black & white one"

"Personal Development Through Image Construction"

M6 TTL Black, M6TTL Chrome, 35/2 Summicron ASPH, 50/2 Summicron

Nikon FM3A, Mamiya RZ67 Pro II
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011   #35
tapesonthefloor
Registered User
 
tapesonthefloor's Avatar
 
tapesonthefloor is offline
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSNfan View Post
Exactly, it cannot be absolutely opaque unless the VF finder shutter closes, this is also I guess what that Norwegian guy meant by "double vision".
I have to agree with vgm here, for a second.

Last edited by Doug : 02-02-2011 at 18:29. Reason: "I've actually considered saying something to you, GSNfan, on a number of occasions about how trolling the ex-hundred discuss
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011   #36
Frankie
Speaking Frankly
 
Frankie is offline
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Vancouver Canada
Posts: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSNfan View Post
How they did get all that info projected on the OVF, do we have that sort of technology?
Using prism to reflect light is a technology that was available way before you were born.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011   #37
TMP
Registered User
 
TMP is offline
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: London
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Can you explain why?
I based my statement after comparing the voltage of both batteries:

GF1: 7.x V
X100: 3.x V

While the battery of the X100 has to power one and only lens -- compared to the GF1 which has to power many, including zooms --, the GF1 with its 40mm kit lens is optically close to the X100's 35mm (i.e. in the number of elements and size).

Now, I am not a camera engineer so I am definitively out of my lane, yet, I'm pretty sure it's not going to be as fast as the GF1 nor its Pen counterparts. Time will tell.

Last edited by TMP : 02-02-2011 at 12:34.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011   #38
ampguy
Registered User
 
ampguy's Avatar
 
ampguy is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,021
does anyone know if all of the info can be turned off, except for the shooting area frame?
__________________
My photo blog

  Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011   #39
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer
 
videogamemaker is offline
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Reykjavik, Iceland
Posts: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMP View Post
I based my statement after comparing the voltage of both batteries:

GF1: 7.x V
X100: 3.x V

While the battery of the X100 has to power one and only lens -- compared to the GF1 which has to power many, including zooms --, the GF1 with its 40mm kit lens is optically close to the X100's 35mm (i.e. in the number of elements and size).

Now, I am not a camera engineer so I am definitively out of my lane, yet, I'm pretty sure it's not going to be as fast as the GF1 nor its Pen counterparts. Time will tell.
I really don't think battery voltage has much to do with it at all. Total number of shots, maybe, but AF speed is doubtful. Especially since several cameras now have improved their AF speed with firmware only, no battery upgrades, there is at least partially the implementation of technique and technology to do with AF speed, rather than raw electrical power.

I like the minimal view. I want to see all that info. I can especially see the DOF scale becoming like 2nd skin, getting used to judging distances and dialing it in fast. I don't want to take the camera away from my eye to see to change shutter speed or memorize how many clicks I was away from a certain aperture.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011   #40
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer
 
videogamemaker is offline
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Reykjavik, Iceland
Posts: 289
Couple more observations:

This shot looks like you can set ISO to auto, and the maximum ISO it should be allowed to go to, and the minimum shutter speed.

This shot looks like where you assign what the Fn button controls, and it looks like you have to pick one thing (in this image it's ISO)

Here is where you set the focus ring to work CW or CCW, and whether the AF/AE lock button should do both or just one. (I'm assuming). I like to use the AE button to lock focus, but for exposure to be determined at my recompose, so I like this.

This one is really cool, as it looks like what options you can set the Fn button to control. If auto ISO provides to be useful enough, one could easily use the Fn button for AF changes or the ND filter. I'm assuming this is what the fujiguys meant when they said you could use the Fn button then the jog dial to change the AF area.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:15.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.