Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Fuji X Series > Fuji X-100 Series

Fuji X-100 Series This forum is for fans of the rangefinder retrostyled Fuji X Series of digital cameras.

Old 02-03-2011   #41
Frankie
Speaking Frankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sol33 View Post
()

Sure that's great. When you focus while you look through the viewfinder, this should be even better than a SLR!

But sometimes it is nice to set up the camera without raising it to your eye to avoid raising attention. (Think Cartier-Bresson) The X100 should be ideal for this, because you can set aperture and exposure time without looking at the viewfinder or LCD. The problem is that you cannot scale focus the camera without raising it to your eye. The philosophy of the X100 seems to be that all essential Adjustments should be directly accessible without the need to stare at the LCD or the finder. That's why I wonder why they didn't care about manual focusing.

I could live without a DOF scale, but distance markers would be quite helpful. Maybe it will be possible to plug something on the focus ring?
There has been numerous images from multiple sources showing the FD+DoF scale in the LCD. So do it the discrete way...naturally in MF mode. Then set AE-C and shoot, use AEL if necessary.

Marking the focus ring has also been discussed at length. No one knows just yet what is the default ring position upon switching to MF.

One poster believe the ring will be "as is, where is"; if so, aim camera at infinity before switching will do that trick.

I believe the camera might reset itself to the last setting used, just like in start-up...if so, ring marking will work.

A third poster believes there might be click stops in the ring...

No one yet knows for sure.

Old 02-03-2011   #42
M4streetshooter
Tourist Thru Life

The lens needs 1/2 stop clicks....
The viewfinders seem to see a real different view.
The Japanese site shows both finders.
The OVF should be very close to the EVF. On that site, it shows a very big difference in view. I'm talking Framelines.. Not outside the box.

There has to be a way for the dials to read the same as the menu.
If you set -1/3 on the dial... The menu should show that...
If you set -1/3 on the menu... what happens to the dial...?

Old 02-03-2011   #43
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4streetshooter View Post
The lens needs 1/2 stop clicks....
The viewfinders seem to see a real different view.
The Japanese site shows both finders.
The OVF should be very close to the EVF. On that site, it shows a very big difference in view. I'm talking Framelines.. Not outside the box.

There has to be a way for the dials to read the same as the menu.
If you set -1/3 on the dial... The menu should show that...
If you set -1/3 on the menu... what happens to the dial...?
Where do you see it being possible to set exp comp in the menu? I doubt it will be possible. Menu diving would never be as intuitive as using the dial.

The EVF doesn't use a framing guide at all. It shows the 100% view.

I wouldn't put much stock in the differences between the EVF and OVF views in this website (if that's what you mean) because the tripod could easily have been moved between shots. That said, switching between the two could be very jarring depending on the implementation. Let's hope it's smooth for most people.

Old 02-04-2011   #44
Soeren

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxmd View Post
And so would be cutting the price to about $20, and handing out free busty girlfriends with the cameras (or alternatively muscular boyfriends for those who so desire).
Hmm Then I can't afford the running costs

Old 02-04-2011   #45
user237428934
User deletion pending

ISO 100.000 without noise.
1.0 lens because everbody knows that you have unlimited dof with a crop sensor and a normal aperture.
50 MP so that you have enough pixels to crop.

This thread wasn't meant serious, was it?

Old 02-09-2011   #46
Arjay
Time Traveller

Thank god the X100 brochure now answers most questions and queries discussed in this thread.

As to AF in a street photography environment, I think it is acceptable having to take a peek on the monitor every now and then, as long as one isn't forced to check settings in the viewfinder. But that still leaves two questions unanswered:
  1. Is it possible to disable/enable the monitor using a mechanical control element on the camera's exterior?
  2. When using AF w/o putting the camera to the eye, is there any external element that can provide focus confirmation other than a conspicuous beep? It might e.g. make sense to use the camera busy/file storage LED in a special blinking sequence to provide an optical focus confirmation.

My RFF Gallery, My Flickr, My Ipernity, all presenting different bodies of work

Old 02-09-2011   #47
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
[*] When using AF w/o putting the camera to the eye, is there any external element that can provide focus confirmation other than a conspicuous beep?[/list]
Wouldn't there be the usual colored box / boxes on the screen that will confirm the focus point like most other digital cameras?

Old 02-09-2011   #48
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablito View Post
remove the flash and shed the "retro" styling.
I can agree about the retro styling. I don't need that. But I should think the flash expands and enhances the camera's versatility. I appreciate having a flash on my D-Lux Leicas, and on my D300.