Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Fuji X Series > Fuji X-100 Series

Fuji X-100 Series This forum is for fans of the rangefinder retrostyled Fuji X Series of digital cameras.

Website update: mechanical design
Old 02-08-2011   #1
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

Website update: mechanical design

http://www.finepix-x100.com/en/story/mechanical

Some interesting info. Clicks on the knobs are not with a ball bearing, but with indented washers. I could see that being more durable actually.

Focus ring marks will definitely be useless, from the site:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujifilm
Positioned on the inner side of the focus ring, two light-sensitive sensors read the signals generated by an alternating pattern of reflective and non-reflective surfaces. Using the signal data, the direction and amount of focus ring movement is determined and transmitted to the lens to adjust the focus. (Photo-reflector focus detection).
It's reading of 0/1/0/1, there is no absolute data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujifilm
In order to assure the premium quality level of the X100, we have manufactured almost all key parts in Japan.

Old 02-08-2011   #2
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

Also the "quick on" mode explained.

Quick “ON” Mode

After powering OFF the FinePix X100, it enters a sleep state for up to 20 minutes. If the power is turned ON during this time, the FinePix X100 wakes in 0.7 sec (compared with a cold start time of 2.2 sec.) and is ready for you to frame and capture the moment.

Old 02-08-2011   #3
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

Unboxing videos from fujiguys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX7Ekht2dAs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRiQuOhzMiw

The 2nd one is a very boring overview of every button. Like I thought, the jog dial will adjust the Fn commands like ISO, etc.

Wow. Just finished, and these guys are the definition of awkward. The grey haired one reminds me of a real life boss from the Office (american version by Steve Carell). I appreciate the hands on look and the small bits of info, but you'd think there would be smoother operators to be had as the public face of the company in North America.

Last edited by videogamemaker : 02-08-2011 at 01:04.

Old 02-08-2011   #4
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I'll be very relieved when this camera is in the shops and in people's hands so Tweedledum and Tweedledee (AKA 'The Fuji Guys') can go back to whatever it was they were doing before all this insanity started ... and let You Tube continue with the normal freaks!

Perhaps that should be Tweetledum and Tweetledee?

Old 02-08-2011   #5
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I'll be very relieved when this camera is in the shops and in people's hands so Tweedledum and Tweedledee (AKA 'The Fuji Guys') can go back to whatever it was they were doing before all this insanity started ... and let You Tube continue with the normal freaks!

Perhaps that should be Tweetledum and Tweetledee?
Honestly.

I wish them the best, but I won't be seeking them out for any info after I get my x100 in hand. I'll probably delete my twitter also, or at least unfollow them and not log in very often.

Old 02-08-2011   #6
gavinlg

Those guys are pretty frustrating. The camera has so many cool things that I want to know more about and they barely show the details of anything.

Old 02-08-2011   #7
Arjay
Time Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdigital View Post
Those guys are pretty frustrating. The camera has so many cool things that I want to know more about and they barely show the details of anything.
Well, since these guys are from marketing, and are not very technical, we can't expect them to be capable of guessing our questions.

Maybe it would be a good idea if we'd open up a dedicated new thread where we'd collect all our questions to them, and then tweet them a link to our collection of questions?

My RFF Gallery, My Flickr, My Ipernity, all presenting different bodies of work

Old 02-08-2011   #8
Arjay
Time Traveller

I looked through the new page of the Fuji X10 site, and I discovered that there's a new video available

Either you follow the link in msg #1 and go to the bottom left, or you click this link for a larger view. No substantially new info, but a nice visual to get your GAS attack going .

My RFF Gallery, My Flickr, My Ipernity, all presenting different bodies of work

Old 02-08-2011   #9
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
I looked through the new page of the Fuji X10 site, and I discovered that there's a new video available

Either you follow the link in msg #1 and go to the bottom left, or you click this link for a larger view. No substantially new info, but a nice visual to get your GAS attack going .
Nice, thanks for that.

Two interesting things I noticed from the spec sheet (from the "announcement thread by Precision Camera)

Shutter speed (with mechanical shutter) *1/4000sec at F8 or smaller aperture, 1/1,000 at f2

Good thing for that ND filter. I am guessing this is because since the shutter is immediately behind the aperture, that at f/8 and smaller the aperture is small enough that the shutter totally obscures it faster than when it is wide open. Not necessarily a bad thing, but something people need to be aware of, I think.

Also battery life is now announced as approximately 300 frames. I think I'll probably buy a 2nd battery, for longer trips, but 300 seems quite good.

Old 02-08-2011   #10
gavinlg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
Well, since these guys are from marketing, and are not very technical, we can't expect them to be capable of guessing our questions.

Maybe it would be a good idea if we'd open up a dedicated new thread where we'd collect all our questions to them, and then tweet them a link to our collection of questions?
They should give one to Steve Huff or Jeff Ascough or something... a real photographer with a great personality and huge online following that will be able to take amazing photos - hearing marketing dudes talk about the most basic of features in detail is sooo boring.

Old 02-08-2011   #11
jsrockit

You mean this takes photos... I thought we were only supposed to be in awe of its outer beauty...

In all seriousness... do you guys really expect this to be a lemon in the IQ department?

Old 02-08-2011   #12
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
You mean this takes photos... I thought we were only supposed to be in awe of its outer beauty...

In all seriousness... do you guys really expect this to be a lemon in the IQ department?
Nope, otherwise I wouldn't have already put down a 100 dollar deposit. I am just curious. If I could already take delivery, I wouldn't care, I'd be out taking photos. But I want to see just how good it is at iso 6400, and how well it can do with extreme contrast (dynamic range).

I'm sure it will be good. I'm hopeful it will be amazing. I want to know just how amazing.

Old 02-08-2011   #13
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

X100 brochure for download: http://www.fujifilm.ca/shared/bin/Brochure_X100_EN.pdf

Old 02-08-2011   #14
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

Interesting. You can adjust aperture and shutter in 1/3 stops with the jog dial:

X100 lets you easily set exposure in 1EV steps with the Aperture
Ring and Shutter Dial, but for more detailed adjustment in 1/3 EV
steps, you can use the Command Lever to fine tune the aperture
setting and the Command Dial to adjust shutter speed.

Old 02-08-2011   #15
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

Also auto ISO information:

ISO Auto automatically adjusts the ISO within a range of ISO200 to
ISO3200 when it is not possible to get an appropriate exposure.
With this control, you can freely set an ISO Auto sensitivity ceiling
up to ISO3200 and a minimum shutter speed down to 1/4 sec.,
highly useful as a safeguard against unintentional high-sensitivity
shots and blurring caused by camera shake.

Old 02-08-2011   #16
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

Whoah! Double battery life if using the OVF:

OVF Power Save Mode

If you turn this mode on when using the optical viewfinder, the
power saving system is activated, doubling the maximum number of
images per full charge from 300 in normal operation. It is ideal for
getting the most of your battery capacity and getting a few more
valuable shots out of your charge.
��Maximum shots in the case of a fully charged NP-95 lithium battery pack, based on the CIPA
(Camera & Imaging Products Association) test standard.

Auto focus has an "auto selection" mode. Probably chooses based on motion, that could be really cool. And the live view magnification automatically zooms in on the area you have the AF point set to. very nice.

Last edited by videogamemaker : 02-08-2011 at 08:01.

Old 02-08-2011   #17
Frankie
Speaking Frankly

Despite many contrary opinions, the <Fn> button can indeed recall 11 functions, while using the jog dial for multiple choices where appropriate [and NOT only controlling flash commander mode]. Included in the 11 function choices is a "custom setting".

I am satisfied that I can make the X100 do what I want and even what I don't need. Time to leave RFF, read reviews when available, seek to handle a real camera and buy one.

The Fuji X100 is indeed my [one-camera/lens] ideal.

Old 02-08-2011   #18
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
Despite many contrary opinions, the <Fn> button can indeed recall 11 functions, while using the jog dial for multiple choices where appropriate [and NOT only controlling flash commander mode]. Included in the 11 function choices is a "custom setting".

I am satisfied that I can make the X100 do what I want and even what I don't need. Time to leave RFF, read reviews when available, seek to handle a real camera and buy one.

The Fuji X100 is indeed my [one-camera/lens] ideal.
I don't remember anyone ever saying Fn wouldn't be assignable to more than just ISO.

I do remember saying the focus ring wouldn't hold absolute position, and snap to zone focusing not being a feature, and the jog dial controlling the Fn button and now being confirmed right by all these accounts.

Old 02-08-2011   #19
ochong

Quote:
Originally Posted by videogamemaker View Post
I don't remember anyone ever saying Fn wouldn't be assignable to more than just ISO.

I do remember saying the focus ring wouldn't hold absolute position, and snap to zone focusing not being a feature, and the jog dial controlling the Fn button and now being confirmed right by all these accounts.
I could imagine if you hold the Fn button and then use the jog dial you might be able to switch between the different functions... but this is purely my imagination, I have no proof of this being possible.

Old 02-08-2011   #20
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ochong View Post
I could imagine if you hold the Fn button and then use the jog dial you might be able to switch between the different functions... but this is purely my imagination, I have no proof of this being possible.
From the menu screens on the japanese website, it looks like you program what the Fn button controls deep in the menu. Then when you press the Fn button the jog dial will then alter that setting up or down (assuming it is a value change. DOF preview probably just needs the Fn button press)

Out of the box, press Fn then the jog dial alters ISO up and down.
If you prefer, dig into the menu, find the Fn setting, change it to White Balance. Now when you press Fn, the jog dial will alter WB through the various presets.

Old 02-08-2011   #21
tapesonthefloor

Heh, I like the progression of mock-ups:

They started by designing the digital Zeiss Ikon and ended up with the digital Hexar AF.

Old 02-08-2011   #22
ochong

Quote:
Originally Posted by videogamemaker View Post
From the menu screens on the japanese website, it looks like you program what the Fn button controls deep in the menu. Then when you press the Fn button the jog dial will then alter that setting up or down (assuming it is a value change. DOF preview probably just needs the Fn button press)

Out of the box, press Fn then the jog dial alters ISO up and down.
If you prefer, dig into the menu, find the Fn setting, change it to White Balance. Now when you press Fn, the jog dial will alter WB through the various presets.
Sorry I guess I should have said hold Fn + scroll wheel (whatever term for that wheel on the back). That being said, I believe you are correct that you have to assign the function in the menus and then use Fn + jog wheel to change whatever the assigned custom function is.

Old 02-08-2011   #23
DougFord
on the good foot

engineering change request

An additional selection 'Focus mode' should become available in the 'fn' menu only when the cameras dedicated focus switch is placed into the MF position.
Controlled by the jog dial and defaulting to the 'MF' setting (lens focus ring activated); followed by additional preset zone focusing distances, 1m, 2m 3m, 4m, inf and selectable via the jog dial.
This would allow standard MF via the lens focus ring as well as the ability to quickly choose AND LOCK a 'snap focus' distance.
Zone focusing with a free wheeling fly by wire lens ring will be prone to inadvertent changes.

the walk

Old 02-08-2011   #24
jsrockit

Can someone explain this?

Dynamic range can be expanded to prevent “blackout” or “washout” of the subject in high
contrast lighting and bring out the detail in shadow and highlights. In addition to automatic
optimization, the user can manually select 100%, 200% and 400% dynamic range. Capture
natural gradations from the brightest to the darkest parts of the image just as the eye sees
them.

What I'm not understanding is why you wouldn't want to expand dynamic range generally speaking... since digital cameras are known for their narrow dynamic range (unless going for silouhette effects). What is the downside to using the high dynamic range mode? or is this just a confusing way of explaining some lame HDR mode?

Old 02-08-2011   #25
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

Quote:
Can someone explain this?

Dynamic range can be expanded to prevent “blackout” or “washout” of the subject in high
contrast lighting and bring out the detail in shadow and highlights. In addition to automatic
optimization, the user can manually select 100%, 200% and 400% dynamic range. Capture
natural gradations from the brightest to the darkest parts of the image just as the eye sees
them.

What I'm not understanding is why you wouldn't want to expand dynamic range generally speaking... since digital cameras are known for their narrow dynamic range (unless going for silouhette effects). What is the downside to using the high dynamic range mode? or is this just a confusing way of explaining some lame HDR mode?
Yeah it’s a jpeg setting. Hold on I typed this out for another forum:

If it works like Sony and other’s implementations, it’s a jpeg only setting. It affects how the curves are implemented in making the jpeg. It does not make a single raw file have any more DR at any of these settings.

Here it is explained (sort of) for another fuji model. http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/...res/index.html

I could see it working one of two ways.

1. It takes multiple images, stacks them, and creates a jpeg only with more dynamic range than normal. There are a couple of cameras that can do this, and the sweep panorama mode of the x100 proves it has the ability to align images. Something newer cameras can do with hand held multiple exposures combined into 1 final jpeg with less blown highlights and less clipped shadows.

2. It takes one image, but uses a different curve to prioritize the extreme light differences. In a low contrast image this would result in a very flat image, but in a high contrast image, you can get properly exposed sky and shadows.

No matter which way it is, if past camera implementations are anything to go off, you’re only going to see these effects in Jpeg output, they don’t alter the raw files. With method 1, you would have the higher DR jpeg with multiple raws you could stack on your own the traditional way, and with method 2 you have one raw file to edit as you normally would. Either way the DR of a single raw image is up to the sensor’s capabilities, these settings won’t change it.

Old 02-08-2011   #26
bensyverson

Quote:
What is the downside to using the high dynamic range mode?
Probably noise. These modes usually work by underexposing the image and then boosting it with software—giving you more highlight range at the expense of shadow noise.

Old 02-08-2011   #27
jsrockit

So it is a lame HDR mode then... ok, I should have figured. Thanks.

Old 02-08-2011   #28
juan123

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapesonthefloor View Post
Heh, I like the progression of mock-ups:

The older three mockups (the larger ones) have a button next to the lens. What's this? It is not in the last two designs. Were they trying to have an interchangeable lens camera? Is it a DOF button?

Last edited by juan123 : 02-08-2011 at 18:46.

Old 02-09-2011   #29
jsrockit

Perhaps it was interchangeable lenses juan.