Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Fuji X Series > Fuji X-100 Series

Fuji X-100 Series This forum is for fans of the rangefinder retrostyled Fuji X Series of digital cameras.

the next big thing in street photography?
Old 02-07-2011   #1
back alley
IMAGES

the next big thing in street photography?

seems like the perfect camera for about 90% or more of what a street shooter needs/wants.

small, quiet & quick, classic looking, 35mm fov...

now, where do i get 1200 smackers?

Old 02-07-2011   #2
kxl
Social Documentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
now, where do i get 1200 smackers?
Bye-bye RD1's ???

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence. ― Sebastiao Salgado

Old 02-07-2011   #3
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

It would seem that way wouldn't it. It seems to have pretty well everything that the hard core street shooter wants in a camera that comes in at a sixth of the price of an M9 ... with no lens!

Old 02-07-2011   #4
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxl View Post
Bye-bye RD1's ???
no, i don't see myself selling them...but maybe my g1 and 20/1.7...

the x100 would be great as an everyday camera and a weekend tagalong with the rd1, or something small and light for those lazy afternoons...

Old 02-07-2011   #5
back alley
IMAGES

i might sell a lens too...

lots of time to obsess...

Old 02-07-2011   #6
fotomeow
name under my name

it looks like a great shooter for a 35mm angle lens.
I have been using my M8 with CV 28/1.9 to fill the 35mm slot, along with the RD1s with the 50 "lux to round of the 75mm slot. (for a 35mm/75mm combo).

I could use the x100 for the 35mm slot, and use the M8 with CV 15mm to get a wider angle at 20mm, for a trio of choices: 20mm, 35mm, and 75 mm ....... let the dreams continue....

Galleria RFF
[size=1]old stuff, new stuff, stuff that works and stuff that doesn't.

Old 02-07-2011   #7
jky

Yeah... perfect for street. Seems like a homerun for sure.

Old 02-07-2011   #8
migtex
Don't eXchange Freedom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
It would seem that way wouldn't it. It seems to have pretty well everything that the hard core street shooter wants in a camera that comes in at a sixth of the price of an M9 ... with no lens!
hmmm some Nikon RF's for sale....
It's hard! Dumb good and trusty +50 year old cameras for a shinning new kid on the block.. just because the emotional can not cope with the it...

And then it will fell short of expectations (happens all the time right?!)... but drolling like a mad man...
Well, a Man got to do what a Man got to do.... resist (his own) temptation .... or not.....
Camera FUN? <click>

Old 02-07-2011   #9
_larky

Have any of the testers done any street stuff with it, apart from taking pictures of empty streets that is?

Old 02-08-2011   #10
jsrockit

I think it comes down to true AF performance or how well the manual focus is implemented as to if it will be a great digital street camera. I'm excited... I wish I could pre-order in the US at somewhere outside of the NYC area.

Old 02-08-2011   #11
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
I think it comes down to true AF performance or how well the manual focus is implemented as to if it will be a great digital street camera. I'm excited... I wish I could pre-order in the US at somewhere outside of the NYC area.
You can. Precision camera, one of the RFF sponsors is doing pre orders with and without a deposit.

Old 02-08-2011   #12
_larky

I just hope that, when on manual focus ,the lens will stay focussed and not have to pop into position, take the shot, then pop back.

Old 02-08-2011   #13
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by videogamemaker View Post
You can. Precision camera, one of the RFF sponsors is doing pre orders with and without a deposit.
Damn... they don't show up in google when looking where to buy an X100. I signed up for no deposit version since that was the only one they'd let you do online.

Old 02-08-2011   #14
tapesonthefloor

Quote:
Originally Posted by _larky View Post
I just hope that, when on manual focus ,the lens will stay focussed and not have to pop into position, take the shot, then pop back.
This is a really good question. Skipping the time spent moving the lens into place is one of the major benefits of using MF on an AF camera. When this thing is in MF mode, I expect the shutter response to be basically instant.

Old 02-08-2011   #15
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

They got you too, Joe?

Old 02-08-2011   #16
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapesonthefloor View Post
This is a really good question. Skipping the time spent moving the lens into place is one of the major benefits of using MF on an AF camera. When this thing is in MF mode, I expect the shutter response to be basically instant.
They say in the brochure that if in OVF mode, shutter lag is .1 seconds. I doubt very seriously that if in MF mode the lens will need to move, why would it?

Old 02-08-2011   #17
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfox View Post
They got you too, Joe?
perhaps...it really seems like an ideal modern street camera.

Old 02-08-2011   #18
jsrockit

It sure does look ideal... how are they going to f it up? It is inevitable isn't it?

Old 02-08-2011   #19
tapesonthefloor

Quote:
They say in the brochure that if in OVF mode, shutter lag is .1 seconds. I doubt very seriously that if in MF mode the lens will need to move, why would it?
I think larky was originally worried that the lens might have a "resting" position, and that the lens would only narrow down to the selected focus point once the shutter is triggered.

But if that was the case you wouldn't see the effects of your focusing in the EVF, and that's insane, so I withdraw my question.

Last edited by tapesonthefloor : 02-08-2011 at 11:54.

Old 02-08-2011   #20
mwooten
light user

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
perhaps...it really seems like an ideal modern street camera.
I've been thinking the same way.

blog: atomicspa.com

Old 02-08-2011   #21
Pickett Wilson

And, besides. As the promotional video says:

"X100...the Professionals Choice."

Who wouldn't want to be a Pro?

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...0&ppuser=28005

Old 02-08-2011   #22
Frank Petronio
-

I might sell the G1/20mm but I might keep it around for longer manual focus lenses. Or just use my wife's Nikon dslr when I need it.

I like the G1 a lot but the Fuji promises several stops of high ISO goodness and most likely better dynamic range... If Pany had introduced a nice, fast AF portrait lens I'd be locked in and might even upgrade to the GH2 or next G3, but otherwise the X100 makes the (nice) G1/20mm package redundant and a lot easier to rationalize unloading.

$400 for a G1/20mm in March I fear.... peanuts for what it can do too, so maybe keep it for backup for a while longer?

Old 02-08-2011   #23
Juan Valdenebro
Truth is beauty

The camera seems great for street. If its AF works well and it's easy to be sure about the focused point, it can be one of the best tools for color right now. I'd get one because my only other digital camera is a lot bigger.

Cheers,

Juan

Old 02-08-2011   #24
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Version Two View Post
I might sell the G1/20mm but I might keep it around for longer manual focus lenses. Or just use my wife's Nikon dslr when I need it.

I like the G1 a lot but the Fuji promises several stops of high ISO goodness and most likely better dynamic range... If Pany had introduced a nice, fast AF portrait lens I'd be locked in and might even upgrade to the GH2 or next G3, but otherwise the X100 makes the (nice) G1/20mm package redundant and a lot easier to rationalize unloading.

$400 for a G1/20mm in March I fear.... peanuts for what it can do too, so maybe keep it for backup for a while longer?
i use the same kit mostly for lazy shooting and taking shots of the rd1. i don't really need it and having the x100 would make it a bit redundent. i think the g1 is a great kit but i could live without it.

Old 02-08-2011   #25
Spyro

Quote:
This is also my worry (probably unsubstantiated, but I've been burned before with the Nikon 35ti and a Contax G). Trying to work out what the lens does in this video, it seems that it goes back and forth for no reason. It does it very quickly but still, why cant it go straight to the focus distance and stay there, like a Hexar AF would do for example? I hope this doesnt indicate that it will need to do the same even when manually prefocused. Probably not, we'll find out when we get in our hands. I've preordered

Old 02-08-2011   #26
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
This is also my worry (probably unsubstantiated, but I've been burned before with the Nikon 35ti and a Contax G). Trying to work out what the lens does in this video, it seems that it goes back and forth for no reason. It does it very quickly but still, why cant it go straight to the focus distance and stay there, like a Hexar AF would do for example? I hope this doesnt indicate that it will need to do the same even when manually prefocused. Probably not, we'll find out when we get in our hands. I've preordered
To me, that looks like it's autofocusing (sounds like there is a beep after it's done moving, AF confirm). Which is what makes me so excited, because that's nice and fast for contrast based AF. There is a video by the fujiguys as well, that shows no lens movement, just aperture engagement then shutter.

Old 02-08-2011   #27
Spyro

out of curiosity, have you seen a hexar af autofocus?

Old 02-08-2011   #28
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

Yes, back when I was researching cameras that might have inspired the X100, but I went and watched a youtube of it again to refresh my memory. I'm assuming it doesn't do that lens movement when AF is turned off? (can it be turned off?)

That said, never in person, why do you ask?

Old 02-08-2011   #29
hausen

Mine is supposed to arrive 2nd week of March here in NZ. It seems like it will be the perfect everyday carry around camera for me.

Far too many cameras & lenses!

Old 02-08-2011   #30
Spyro

just wanted to make sure you know what I'm benchmarking against
I think we have different priorities, for you AF speed is important which is fine. For me not so, for me it is way more important for the AF not to hunt under any circumstances (ie low light), because slow AF is predictable and therefore I can anticipate it and provide adequate time for it to focus, whereas hunting is undpredictable and therefore it costs me photos. It is also extremely important for AF not to stand in the way of MF, ie when I focus or prefocus and I press the shutter the lens must not move at all under any circumstances (I'm quite confident the x100 lens will not, just not 100% sure yet)

Old 02-08-2011   #31
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
just wanted to make sure you know what I'm benchmarking against
I think we have different priorities, for you AF speed is important which is fine. For me not so, for me it is way more important for the AF not to hunt under any circumstances (ie low light), because slow AF is predictable and therefore I can anticipate it and provide adequate time for it to focus, whereas hunting is undpredictable and therefore it costs me photos. It is also extremely important for AF not to stand in the way of MF, ie when I focus or prefocus and I press the shutter the lens must not move at all under any circumstances (I'm quite confident the x100 lens will not, just not 100% sure yet)
I think we're on the same page. I want to be able to manually focus when appropriate and not have the lens hunt, I was just saying that is what I think the lens movement in that video represents, AF hunting, and that were it in MF mode, you wouldn't have to wait at all for that.

(but I do want fast AF also)

Old 02-08-2011   #32
Bob Michaels
nobody special

It appears that "the next big thing in street photography" is not about street photography at all. It is about cameras to be used for street photography.

Does anyone else find there is a difference in "photography" and "cameras"? Or, am I just in the wrong place?

Old 02-08-2011   #33
ferider

Joe: you could spend the US 1200 for a week somewhere nice and do "street" with your RD1 ... just saying.

Old 02-08-2011   #34
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Michaels View Post
It appears that "the next big thing in street photography" is not about street photography at all. It is about cameras to be used for street photography.

Does anyone else find there is a difference in "photography" and "cameras"? Or, am I just in the wrong place?

I think Bob makes a valid point here ... the emphasis on street photography surrounding this camera is a little disturbing at times.

It's a digital camera with a 35mm field of view, auto focus and pleasing styling before it's anything else.

Old 02-08-2011   #35
Bob Michaels
nobody special

I guess I am in the wrong place as I have felt for many decades that the limits on my photography were my own talents and not those of the tools I had to work with.

Old 02-08-2011   #36
monochromejrnl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Michaels View Post

sadly, you probably in the wrong place if you're more interested in photography than cameras

it's amazing how so many RFF'ers are devoting to this one camera (despite a similar array of RFF'ers lamenting the Fuji's overwhelming marketing approach for this camera)... if nothing else - Fuji has succeeded in *****s in drawing attention to the X100

Given the price point, I suspect half the early adopters will love the camera and the other half will be disappointed when they realize this 'jesus camera' isn't going to help them make better images.
here is the dilemma and the strength of photography... it is the easiest medium in which to be competent, but it is the hardest medium in which to have a personal vision that is readily identifiable... Chuck Close

we search for truth, sometimes we find beauty - Lisette Model

Old 02-08-2011   #37
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferider View Post
Joe: you could spend the US 1200 for a week somewhere nice and do "street" with your RD1 ... just saying.
this is true...

Old 02-08-2011   #38
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I think Bob makes a valid point here ... the emphasis on street photography surrounding this camera is a little disturbing at times.

It's a digital camera with a 35mm field of view, auto focus and pleasing styling before it's anything else.
my main area of interest when it comes to photography is 'street shooting'...whatever that is...so naturally for me, any camera i use will be viewed from that specific viewpoint.

Old 02-08-2011   #39
Arjay
Time Traveller

There's some misunderstanding. :

The thread title should read 'The next big thing for street photography' instead of 'The next big thing in street photography'.

We're clearly not talking about trends in street photography, just about tools for street photography.

Actually, I don't expect to shoot better pictures using this camera. Rather, I expect to find a faster route to image files (dig. camera instead of shooting film, spending half a night processing and then spending half an evening scanning).

I am intrigued about this camera, as it promises the usability and user interface of an analog camera, while delivering digital image files. For someone who uses a hybrid/digital workflow for his postprocessing, this isn't trivial at all. I enjoy shooting a lot more than standing in my bathroom, shaking tanks to the rhythm of a timer clock and stuffing film strips into a slow scanner that makes odd noises and seems to take forever....

My RFF Gallery, My Flickr, My Ipernity, all presenting different bodies of work

Old 02-08-2011   #40
Juan Valdenebro
Truth is beauty

I think its AF will define the camera's future... For manual focus it's way below RD1 and Ms, but for AF, if it informs and gives security to the shooter, it could be great for low light color and for family/fun snaps. With a common AF, it would be just a common digicamera.

Cheers,

Juan