Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Fuji X Series > Fuji X-100 Series

Fuji X-100 Series This forum is for fans of the rangefinder retrostyled Fuji X Series of digital cameras.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

the next big thing in street photography?
Old 02-07-2011   #1
back alley
IMAGES
 
back alley's Avatar
 
back alley is offline
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: true north strong & free
Posts: 49,140
the next big thing in street photography?

seems like the perfect camera for about 90% or more of what a street shooter needs/wants.

small, quiet & quick, classic looking, 35mm fov...

now, where do i get 1200 smackers?
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2011   #2
kxl
Social Documentary
 
kxl's Avatar
 
kxl is offline
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sunny SoCal
Posts: 2,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
now, where do i get 1200 smackers?
Bye-bye RD1's ???
__________________
Keith
My Flickr Albums
RFF feedback


"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence. ― Sebastiao Salgado
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2011   #3
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Keith is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,577
It would seem that way wouldn't it. It seems to have pretty well everything that the hard core street shooter wants in a camera that comes in at a sixth of the price of an M9 ... with no lens!
__________________
---------------------------
flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2011   #4
back alley
IMAGES
 
back alley's Avatar
 
back alley is offline
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: true north strong & free
Posts: 49,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by kxl View Post
Bye-bye RD1's ???
no, i don't see myself selling them...but maybe my g1 and 20/1.7...

the x100 would be great as an everyday camera and a weekend tagalong with the rd1, or something small and light for those lazy afternoons...
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2011   #5
back alley
IMAGES
 
back alley's Avatar
 
back alley is offline
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: true north strong & free
Posts: 49,140
i might sell a lens too...

lots of time to obsess...
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2011   #6
fotomeow
name under my name
 
fotomeow's Avatar
 
fotomeow is offline
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Posts: 771
it looks like a great shooter for a 35mm angle lens.
I have been using my M8 with CV 28/1.9 to fill the 35mm slot, along with the RD1s with the 50 "lux to round of the 75mm slot. (for a 35mm/75mm combo).

I could use the x100 for the 35mm slot, and use the M8 with CV 15mm to get a wider angle at 20mm, for a trio of choices: 20mm, 35mm, and 75 mm ....... let the dreams continue....
__________________
--> Gary G

Galleria RFF
[size=1]old stuff, new stuff, stuff that works and stuff that doesn't.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2011   #7
jky
Registered User
 
jky is offline
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Flamescity Canada
Posts: 1,436
Yeah... perfect for street. Seems like a homerun for sure.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2011   #8
migtex
Don't eXchange Freedom!
 
migtex's Avatar
 
migtex is offline
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cartaxo, Portugal
Age: 58
Posts: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
It would seem that way wouldn't it. It seems to have pretty well everything that the hard core street shooter wants in a camera that comes in at a sixth of the price of an M9 ... with no lens!
hmmm some Nikon RF's for sale....
It's hard! Dumb good and trusty +50 year old cameras for a shinning new kid on the block.. just because the emotional can not cope with the it...

And then it will fell short of expectations (happens all the time right?!)... but drolling like a mad man...
Well, a Man got to do what a Man got to do.... resist (his own) temptation .... or not.....
__________________
Too many ニコン F's to list... less ニコン D's.... and some ニコン S's and a Bessa R2S NHS!!
My RFF Gallery, My Flickr Gallery, my Olhares.com
Do you Like
Camera FUN? <click>

  Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2011   #9
_larky
Registered User
 
_larky's Avatar
 
_larky is offline
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 631
Have any of the testers done any street stuff with it, apart from taking pictures of empty streets that is?
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2011   #10
jsrockit
Moderator
 
jsrockit's Avatar
 
jsrockit is online now
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Santiago, Chile
Age: 46
Posts: 19,809
I think it comes down to true AF performance or how well the manual focus is implemented as to if it will be a great digital street camera. I'm excited... I wish I could pre-order in the US at somewhere outside of the NYC area.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2011   #11
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer
 
videogamemaker is offline
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Reykjavik, Iceland
Posts: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
I think it comes down to true AF performance or how well the manual focus is implemented as to if it will be a great digital street camera. I'm excited... I wish I could pre-order in the US at somewhere outside of the NYC area.
You can. Precision camera, one of the RFF sponsors is doing pre orders with and without a deposit.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2011   #12
_larky
Registered User
 
_larky's Avatar
 
_larky is offline
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 631
I just hope that, when on manual focus ,the lens will stay focussed and not have to pop into position, take the shot, then pop back.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2011   #13
jsrockit
Moderator
 
jsrockit's Avatar
 
jsrockit is online now
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Santiago, Chile
Age: 46
Posts: 19,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by videogamemaker View Post
You can. Precision camera, one of the RFF sponsors is doing pre orders with and without a deposit.
Damn... they don't show up in google when looking where to buy an X100. I signed up for no deposit version since that was the only one they'd let you do online.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2011   #14
tapesonthefloor
Registered User
 
tapesonthefloor's Avatar
 
tapesonthefloor is offline
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by _larky View Post
I just hope that, when on manual focus ,the lens will stay focussed and not have to pop into position, take the shot, then pop back.
This is a really good question. Skipping the time spent moving the lens into place is one of the major benefits of using MF on an AF camera. When this thing is in MF mode, I expect the shutter response to be basically instant.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2011   #15
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives
 
shadowfox's Avatar
 
shadowfox is offline
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 8,801
They got you too, Joe?
__________________
Have a good light,
Will


  Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2011   #16
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer
 
videogamemaker is offline
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Reykjavik, Iceland
Posts: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapesonthefloor View Post
This is a really good question. Skipping the time spent moving the lens into place is one of the major benefits of using MF on an AF camera. When this thing is in MF mode, I expect the shutter response to be basically instant.
They say in the brochure that if in OVF mode, shutter lag is .1 seconds. I doubt very seriously that if in MF mode the lens will need to move, why would it?
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2011   #17
back alley
IMAGES
 
back alley's Avatar
 
back alley is offline
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: true north strong & free
Posts: 49,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfox View Post
They got you too, Joe?
perhaps...it really seems like an ideal modern street camera.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2011   #18
jsrockit
Moderator
 
jsrockit's Avatar
 
jsrockit is online now
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Santiago, Chile
Age: 46
Posts: 19,809
It sure does look ideal... how are they going to f it up? It is inevitable isn't it?
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2011   #19
tapesonthefloor
Registered User
 
tapesonthefloor's Avatar
 
tapesonthefloor is offline
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by videogamemaker View Post
They say in the brochure that if in OVF mode, shutter lag is .1 seconds. I doubt very seriously that if in MF mode the lens will need to move, why would it?
I think larky was originally worried that the lens might have a "resting" position, and that the lens would only narrow down to the selected focus point once the shutter is triggered.

But if that was the case you wouldn't see the effects of your focusing in the EVF, and that's insane, so I withdraw my question.

Last edited by tapesonthefloor : 02-08-2011 at 11:54.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2011   #20
mwooten
light user
 
mwooten's Avatar
 
mwooten is offline
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: greenville sc, usa
Posts: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
perhaps...it really seems like an ideal modern street camera.
I've been thinking the same way.
__________________
rff gallery

blog: atomicspa.com


  Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2011   #21
Pickett Wilson
Registered User
 
Pickett Wilson's Avatar
 
Pickett Wilson is offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,848
And, besides. As the promotional video says:

"X100...the Professionals Choice."

Who wouldn't want to be a Pro?
__________________
______________________________________________
"There is something rather sad about a truckload of caviar"

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...0&ppuser=28005
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2011   #22
Frank Petronio
-
 
Frank Petronio's Avatar
 
Frank Petronio is offline
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Rochester, NY, USA
Posts: 1,869
I might sell the G1/20mm but I might keep it around for longer manual focus lenses. Or just use my wife's Nikon dslr when I need it.

I like the G1 a lot but the Fuji promises several stops of high ISO goodness and most likely better dynamic range... If Pany had introduced a nice, fast AF portrait lens I'd be locked in and might even upgrade to the GH2 or next G3, but otherwise the X100 makes the (nice) G1/20mm package redundant and a lot easier to rationalize unloading.

$400 for a G1/20mm in March I fear.... peanuts for what it can do too, so maybe keep it for backup for a while longer?
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2011   #23
Juan Valdenebro
Truth is beauty
 
Juan Valdenebro's Avatar
 
Juan Valdenebro is offline
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Barcelona and Colombia
Age: 47
Posts: 4,354
The camera seems great for street. If its AF works well and it's easy to be sure about the focused point, it can be one of the best tools for color right now. I'd get one because my only other digital camera is a lot bigger.

Cheers,

Juan
__________________
F i l m means fun!
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2011   #24
back alley
IMAGES
 
back alley's Avatar
 
back alley is offline
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: true north strong & free
Posts: 49,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Version Two View Post
I might sell the G1/20mm but I might keep it around for longer manual focus lenses. Or just use my wife's Nikon dslr when I need it.

I like the G1 a lot but the Fuji promises several stops of high ISO goodness and most likely better dynamic range... If Pany had introduced a nice, fast AF portrait lens I'd be locked in and might even upgrade to the GH2 or next G3, but otherwise the X100 makes the (nice) G1/20mm package redundant and a lot easier to rationalize unloading.

$400 for a G1/20mm in March I fear.... peanuts for what it can do too, so maybe keep it for backup for a while longer?
i use the same kit mostly for lazy shooting and taking shots of the rd1. i don't really need it and having the x100 would make it a bit redundent. i think the g1 is a great kit but i could live without it.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2011   #25
Spyro
Registered User
 
Spyro is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Melbourne, VIC, Oz
Posts: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by videogamemaker View Post
They say in the brochure that if in OVF mode, shutter lag is .1 seconds. I doubt very seriously that if in MF mode the lens will need to move, why would it?
This is also my worry (probably unsubstantiated, but I've been burned before with the Nikon 35ti and a Contax G). Trying to work out what the lens does in this video, it seems that it goes back and forth for no reason. It does it very quickly but still, why cant it go straight to the focus distance and stay there, like a Hexar AF would do for example? I hope this doesnt indicate that it will need to do the same even when manually prefocused. Probably not, we'll find out when we get in our hands. I've preordered
__________________
Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2011   #26
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer
 
videogamemaker is offline
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Reykjavik, Iceland
Posts: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
This is also my worry (probably unsubstantiated, but I've been burned before with the Nikon 35ti and a Contax G). Trying to work out what the lens does in this video, it seems that it goes back and forth for no reason. It does it very quickly but still, why cant it go straight to the focus distance and stay there, like a Hexar AF would do for example? I hope this doesnt indicate that it will need to do the same even when manually prefocused. Probably not, we'll find out when we get in our hands. I've preordered
To me, that looks like it's autofocusing (sounds like there is a beep after it's done moving, AF confirm). Which is what makes me so excited, because that's nice and fast for contrast based AF. There is a video by the fujiguys as well, that shows no lens movement, just aperture engagement then shutter.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2011   #27
Spyro
Registered User
 
Spyro is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Melbourne, VIC, Oz
Posts: 919
out of curiosity, have you seen a hexar af autofocus?
__________________
Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2011   #28
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer
 
videogamemaker is offline
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Reykjavik, Iceland
Posts: 289
Yes, back when I was researching cameras that might have inspired the X100, but I went and watched a youtube of it again to refresh my memory. I'm assuming it doesn't do that lens movement when AF is turned off? (can it be turned off?)

That said, never in person, why do you ask?
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2011   #29
hausen
Registered User
 
hausen is offline
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Auckland
Posts: 910
Mine is supposed to arrive 2nd week of March here in NZ. It seems like it will be the perfect everyday carry around camera for me.
__________________
David
Auckland, NZ

Far too many cameras & lenses!
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2011   #30
Spyro
Registered User
 
Spyro is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Melbourne, VIC, Oz
Posts: 919
just wanted to make sure you know what I'm benchmarking against
I think we have different priorities, for you AF speed is important which is fine. For me not so, for me it is way more important for the AF not to hunt under any circumstances (ie low light), because slow AF is predictable and therefore I can anticipate it and provide adequate time for it to focus, whereas hunting is undpredictable and therefore it costs me photos. It is also extremely important for AF not to stand in the way of MF, ie when I focus or prefocus and I press the shutter the lens must not move at all under any circumstances (I'm quite confident the x100 lens will not, just not 100% sure yet)
__________________
Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2011   #31
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer
 
videogamemaker is offline
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Reykjavik, Iceland
Posts: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
just wanted to make sure you know what I'm benchmarking against
I think we have different priorities, for you AF speed is important which is fine. For me not so, for me it is way more important for the AF not to hunt under any circumstances (ie low light), because slow AF is predictable and therefore I can anticipate it and provide adequate time for it to focus, whereas hunting is undpredictable and therefore it costs me photos. It is also extremely important for AF not to stand in the way of MF, ie when I focus or prefocus and I press the shutter the lens must not move at all under any circumstances (I'm quite confident the x100 lens will not, just not 100% sure yet)
I think we're on the same page. I want to be able to manually focus when appropriate and not have the lens hunt, I was just saying that is what I think the lens movement in that video represents, AF hunting, and that were it in MF mode, you wouldn't have to wait at all for that.

(but I do want fast AF also)
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2011   #32
Bob Michaels
nobody special
 
Bob Michaels's Avatar
 
Bob Michaels is offline
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Apopka FL (USA)
Age: 75
Posts: 3,735
It appears that "the next big thing in street photography" is not about street photography at all. It is about cameras to be used for street photography.

Does anyone else find there is a difference in "photography" and "cameras"? Or, am I just in the wrong place?
__________________
http://www.bobmichaels.org
internet forums appear to have an abundance of anonymous midgets prancing on stilts
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2011   #33
ferider
Registered User
 
ferider's Avatar
 
ferider is offline
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 11,250
Joe: you could spend the US 1200 for a week somewhere nice and do "street" with your RD1 ... just saying.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2011   #34
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Keith is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Michaels View Post
It appears that "the next big thing in street photography" is not about street photography at all. It is about cameras to be used for street photography.

Does anyone else find there is a difference in "photography" and "cameras"? Or, am I just in the wrong place?

I think Bob makes a valid point here ... the emphasis on street photography surrounding this camera is a little disturbing at times.

It's a digital camera with a 35mm field of view, auto focus and pleasing styling before it's anything else.
__________________
---------------------------
flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2011   #35
Bob Michaels
nobody special
 
Bob Michaels's Avatar
 
Bob Michaels is offline
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Apopka FL (USA)
Age: 75
Posts: 3,735
I guess I am in the wrong place as I have felt for many decades that the limits on my photography were my own talents and not those of the tools I had to work with.
__________________
http://www.bobmichaels.org
internet forums appear to have an abundance of anonymous midgets prancing on stilts
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2011   #36
monochromejrnl
Registered User
 
monochromejrnl is offline
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Toronto, ON Canada
Posts: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Michaels View Post
It appears that "the next big thing in street photography" is not about street photography at all. It is about cameras to be used for street photography.

Does anyone else find there is a difference in "photography" and "cameras"? Or, am I just in the wrong place?
sadly, you probably in the wrong place if you're more interested in photography than cameras

it's amazing how so many RFF'ers are devoting to this one camera (despite a similar array of RFF'ers lamenting the Fuji's overwhelming marketing approach for this camera)... if nothing else - Fuji has succeeded in *****s in drawing attention to the X100

Given the price point, I suspect half the early adopters will love the camera and the other half will be disappointed when they realize this 'jesus camera' isn't going to help them make better images.
__________________
here is the dilemma and the strength of photography... it is the easiest medium in which to be competent, but it is the hardest medium in which to have a personal vision that is readily identifiable... Chuck Close

we search for truth, sometimes we find beauty - Lisette Model
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2011   #37
back alley
IMAGES
 
back alley's Avatar
 
back alley is offline
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: true north strong & free
Posts: 49,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferider View Post
Joe: you could spend the US 1200 for a week somewhere nice and do "street" with your RD1 ... just saying.
this is true...
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2011   #38
back alley
IMAGES
 
back alley's Avatar
 
back alley is offline
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: true north strong & free
Posts: 49,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I think Bob makes a valid point here ... the emphasis on street photography surrounding this camera is a little disturbing at times.

It's a digital camera with a 35mm field of view, auto focus and pleasing styling before it's anything else.
my main area of interest when it comes to photography is 'street shooting'...whatever that is...so naturally for me, any camera i use will be viewed from that specific viewpoint.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2011   #39
Arjay
Time Traveller
 
Arjay's Avatar
 
Arjay is offline
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Munich, Germany
Age: 69
Posts: 798
There's some misunderstanding. :

The thread title should read 'The next big thing for street photography' instead of 'The next big thing in street photography'.

We're clearly not talking about trends in street photography, just about tools for street photography.

Actually, I don't expect to shoot better pictures using this camera. Rather, I expect to find a faster route to image files (dig. camera instead of shooting film, spending half a night processing and then spending half an evening scanning).

I am intrigued about this camera, as it promises the usability and user interface of an analog camera, while delivering digital image files. For someone who uses a hybrid/digital workflow for his postprocessing, this isn't trivial at all. I enjoy shooting a lot more than standing in my bathroom, shaking tanks to the rhythm of a timer clock and stuffing film strips into a slow scanner that makes odd noises and seems to take forever....
__________________
FujiFilm X100, Fuji X-Pro 1, Konica Hexar RF, Hexanon & CV glass & Nikon Coolscan V ... plus a big, bad DSLR

My RFF Gallery, My Flickr, My Ipernity, all presenting different bodies of work
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2011   #40
Juan Valdenebro
Truth is beauty
 
Juan Valdenebro's Avatar
 
Juan Valdenebro is offline
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Barcelona and Colombia
Age: 47
Posts: 4,354
I think its AF will define the camera's future... For manual focus it's way below RD1 and Ms, but for AF, if it informs and gives security to the shooter, it could be great for low light color and for family/fun snaps. With a common AF, it would be just a common digicamera.

Cheers,

Juan
__________________
F i l m means fun!
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 15:41.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.