Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Nikon Historical Society

Nikon Historical Society -- hosted by the founding member Bob Rotoloni and members of the society. The NHS, based the US, has a worldwide membership. Our "Nikon Journal," published four times a year, concentrates on the history of Japanese photo equipment from the perspective of the Nikon Camera Company. The Nikon Journal often includes Nikon information not published anywhere else in the world. This forum provides an opportunity for conversation between collectors and users of classic film Nikons. See forum “stickies” for more information about the Society. If you are a serious Nikon Collector, you MUST be a NHS member. Join at http://www.nikonhistoricalsociety.com/!

Sammy Davis, Jr. and his Nikon SP
Old 02-26-2012   #1
kkdanamatt

Last month, I saw this 8x10 photo framed and behind glass hanging in a fast food restaurant in Las Vegas. It was in an awkward spot, so I had difficulty photographing it without having a lot of visible reflections.

I think it's a Nikon SP with a 35mm f/1.8 Nikkor that Sammy Davis, Jr. is using. He's photographing Eddie Fisher and his new (slightly used, but still in fine condition) bride, Elizabeth Taylor.

Sammy, Jerry Lewis, Roddy McDowall, and Dennis Hopper were pretty good actors/photographers from that era.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nikon SP small.jpg (168.6 KB, 202 views)

Old 02-26-2012   #2
gb hill

You need to grab a copy of this book. It tells all about Sammy's love for nikon SP's.
http://www.amazon.com/Photo-Sammy-Da...44&sr=1-2');

Old 02-26-2012   #3
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

Greg beat me to it. I looked at that book in my local Borders some time ago, and the text and interviews with Sammy Davis Jr are way too familiar: they do sound a lot like the current GAS complaints frequently heard in this forum.

All in all, SDJr admitted to being something of a gear-maniac. He'd buy any new camera and gizmo produced in Germany and Japan as soon as he learned about it. Hence his passion for Rolleiflexes and Nikon rangefinders.

Yul Brynner, however, was a Leica M man. There's a book of his photographs compiled by his daughter. Brynner even mixed black bodies with silver lenses!! Imagine...
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide

Old 02-26-2012   #4
porktaco

lol slightly used

M digital, M film, X digital.

More photos at my flickr, some of which is friends & family only. Please feel free to message me to become a flickr friend.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/