Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > RFF Polls

View Poll Results: Do you also use a DSLR?
Nikon 171 48.31%
Canon 130 36.72%
Sony 14 3.95%
Pentax 29 8.19%
Olympus 25 7.06%
Other 21 5.93%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 354. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-12-2012   #41
Doug

Yes, Pentax K100D and K20D due to legacy lenses and a long time Pentax user. And a Leica for the easier smoother user interface, exquisite quality, and I have lenses that work on it. DSLRs for long lenses, landscapes, closeups, but not used as much as RFs.

Old 12-12-2012   #42
kshapero
Press the Shutter

Well we are no different than the general public; 85% use Nikon or Canon. One telling difference though is the preponderance of Nikon over Canon. I attribute that to our old fashioness when in the old days, Nikon eat Canon for lunch and dinner. But of course no more.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 12-12-2012   #43
Iestrada

A Sony 850. It's the only way I can keep using my stash of Minolta AF lenses. Not complaining at all, it is a wonderful camera.

Old 12-12-2012   #44
Dwig

Nope, I haven't owned DSLR.

I migrated up the evolutionary tree of the premium fixed lens digital cameras until the appearance of the mirrorless system cameras, acquiring a Pany G-1 back when they were the current model.

Old 12-12-2012   #45
ray*j*gun

Yes, D90 sports and stuff for the internet that needs to be fast. I still use film mostly.

Old 12-12-2012   #46
filmtwit
Desperate but not serious

Canon, finally upgraded my 5 year old 50d or a used 60d as I needed video capacity.
Once I'm working again I'm likely to jump up either a D6 or the D5mkIII

The Flickr Stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/filmtwit/

The Blog (Boring Sidney, Boring)
http://jeffthomasallen.blogspot.com/

Old 12-12-2012   #47
Balto

Own a 5d, but it hasn't been used in 3-4 months...

leica for daily stuff, mamiya rz67 for more important things

Old 12-12-2012   #48
pvdhaar
Zoom with your feet!

D90 for flash and astrophotography.

Peter

My Hexländer Gallery

Old 12-12-2012   #49
jwicaksana
Jakarta, Indonesia

5D classic, which is great for off camera flash work, to accept many different lens via an adapter, and the noise in high ISO is very grain like to my eyes. I love it.

Jonathan

MOXS Photography

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jwicaksana

Old 12-12-2012   #50
dct

Though I'm more inclined to RFs as my daily photographing tool, I still use my Minolta Vectis SLR equipment for macro and long range work, as well as multi-flash gun setups. Until lately I considered a digital SLR system the way to go, after finishing my last APS roll for the actual system.
Meanwhile the mirror less systems had emerged and they offer in a more compact - and a few also in a RF styled - body the capabilities for the photographing work outside the typical RF domain. Indeed even the new Leica M-240 can be used for macro and zoom photography!
I changed my mind. My analog SLR will be the last reflex I own. My new digital investment will be in one of the mirror less systems.

Old 12-12-2012   #51
leicapixie

i don't use a DSLR. Small point and shoot digital only! Film still shot on Leica M, Nikon-F,Pentax K and Canon systems. I scan the film. Came close to adding either a Canon EOS or Nikon with the lower prices..
I prefer the smaller cameras..

Old 12-13-2012   #52
Sid836

I have and I use most a Nikon D90. It is bulky for sure, but a good picture taker. I love my Oly 35RC more, but too much shooting film can through my budget out of bounds.

Old 12-13-2012   #53
Snapper_uk

None of the above.

That's why I'm RFF.

Old 12-13-2012   #54
x-ray

Nikon D800. Superior dynamic range, long glass, micro lenses and close focus, tilt shift lenses, faster and better buffer if needed, auto focus and exposure when needed and better high ISO. The only reason I use my M9 is Performance of fast glass wide open. If I could get glass as fast and that performed as well on my Nikon wide open I would ditch the M9. I don't dislike the M9 but it's just not in the same class as the D800. Leica is all about the fast glass IMO.

Old 12-13-2012   #55
jschrader

D700, manual focus mostly 35mm. For wildlife photography (i.e. kids+family )

Old 12-13-2012   #56
menthel
Not very good...

Canon 7D. I got into photography with a canon camera and it is quite hard to fit a 600mm lens and partake in wildlife photography with my rangefinders!

Old 12-13-2012   #57
mfogiel

No. Nothing digital, we are gentlemen here...

Old 12-13-2012   #58
peter_n
~

Not any more. I had a Fuji S5 Pro which is a Nikon D200 body with a Fuji sensor and firmware. Main lens was the amazing 17-55/2.8 DX and I also had three Nikkor primes. I bought the S5 for the dynamic range and JPEGs, and sold it because I got fed up with the bulk and weight. I did love the pictures I got from that camera though. Incredibly I sold it for more than I paid for it.

I replaced it with a Sony NEX for my color family snaps which is basically what I use color for, I'm still a B&W film shooter. I can use my Leica & Exakta lenses on the NEX so the package is small and the IQ from the NEX is excellent.

My RFF Gallery

Old 12-13-2012   #59
soultheworld

D700. for sports mainly. but since i got the M9 it just feels so heavy. i also have a nikon f3 with a 35 f2 which i love.

my FLICKR

Old 12-13-2012   #60
zuiko85

Yeah, an Olympus E-410. It was discontinued but new so I got it cheap and with adapters for OM and M42 mounts I can use real lenses. Don't use it much, mostly for family color snaps. Makes a dandy meter and I sometimes use it as a way to get my half frame negatives into file (my scanner broke).

Old 12-13-2012   #61
icebear

There's no option for me :
"No, I'm pure, no evil DSLR will come before my eye"

my gallery:http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...d=6650&showall

Old 12-13-2012   #62
daveleo
what?

Nikon D5100.
Good camera, good lenses, great price ($545 body only back a few months ago).

My only complaint about DSLR's is that they intimidate people when you point at them. The new, small mirrorless cameras don't rattle people so much, and the ones with APS sensors make very nice images.

Old 12-13-2012   #63
Michael Da Re

I use an Olympus E-410 with a 45 degree split focus screen and adapter for Zuiko lenses. I also have a Pentax K-r. Both cameras have outstanding IQ and the K-r has features that compete with some of the higher end dslr's. But what I love the most is their non-threatening nature because at 6'3" 280lbs I need as much help as I can get.

Michael

Old 12-14-2012   #64
Lund

I use a 5DII. With some good glass on it I find it a pleasure to use.

Old 12-14-2012   #65
honozooloo

I love my rangefinders, I love my Leicaflex, my Nikon FE, and my Hassy, but when it comes time to do most of my professional freelance work (which is often outdoors, at night, and can be in adverse weather)...my Canon 1D MKIV and a 1DS MK III will handle everything I can throw at them and then some, all without my having to worry about moisture or the occasional hard hit. Those bodies and three primes...24L, 35L, 50L...are pretty much my bread and butter. And while I love Leica...my local Canon Professional Services location is three blocks from my office and I never have to worry about being short a piece of gear because its off for some kind of maintenance. I've been sorely tempted to switch over to digital Ms for the higher IQ but Canon's professional support and the robustness of their gear is something that Leica simply can't match. Leica is a small company with different design priorities/philosophies, it just can't be helped.

The DSLRs aren't particularly "magic" to use, and their output isn't particularly "magic" to me either....ironically my favorite images taken with my Canon setup involves R-mount 50mm and 35mm Summicrons. Compared to manually-operated rangefinders my DSLRs don't even feel like I have to think at all use them (and I don't like that kind of user disconnect) but...they are durable, solid, reliable tools.

If cameras were like paintbrushes, 1-series DSLRs are autofeeding spray guns that will paint a whole house in like an hour. My DSLRs get the job done fast and with minimal fuss, in some respects they are so advanced they bore the **** out of me when I'm using them. My RF/traditional gear is more like a fine horsehair paintbrush. Skill is required to use them, and you have to do your own work but the results are so much more unique and "special".

Old 12-14-2012   #66
ChrisLivsey

Nikon D3 for long(er) glass, school rugby, when there is no light left (it really does almost see the black cat in the coal cellar and can definitely see our grey one), knocking in nails (not really but it is heavy enough and probably sturdy enough), when I want to pretend I'm a press photographer and finally to make me appreciate my M2s (even more) when I go back to them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/red_eyes_man/

Old 12-14-2012   #67
kshapero
Press the Shutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by honozooloo View Post
I love my rangefinders, I love my Leicaflex, my Nikon FE, and my Hassy, but when it comes time to do most of my professional freelance work (which is often outdoors, at night, and can be in adverse weather)...my Canon 1D MKIV and a 1DS MK III will handle everything I can throw at them and then some, all without my having to worry about moisture or the occasional hard hit. Those bodies and three primes...24L, 35L, 50L...are pretty much my bread and butter. And while I love Leica...my local Canon Professional Services location is three blocks from my office and I never have to worry about being short a piece of gear because its off for some kind of maintenance. I've been sorely tempted to switch over to digital Ms for the higher IQ but Canon's professional support and the robustness of their gear is something that Leica simply can't match. Leica is a small company with different design priorities/philosophies, it just can't be helped.

The DSLRs aren't particularly "magic" to use, and their output isn't particularly "magic" to me either....ironically my favorite images taken with my Canon setup involves R-mount 50mm and 35mm Summicrons. Compared to manually-operated rangefinders my DSLRs don't even feel like I have to think at all use them (and I don't like that kind of user disconnect) but...they are durable, solid, reliable tools.

If cameras were like paintbrushes, 1-series DSLRs are autofeeding spray guns that will paint a whole house in like an hour. My DSLRs get the job done fast and with minimal fuss, in some respects they are so advanced they bore the **** out of me when I'm using them. My RF/traditional gear is more like a fine horsehair paintbrush. Skill is required to use them, and you have to do your own work but the results are so much more unique and "special".
Excellent rant that 100% agree with.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 12-14-2012   #68
malkmata

Only in my job, a 5D Mk III and mostly in the studio because it is required. My images are used in a layout about an hour after I shot them. For myself, mostly film.

Old 12-14-2012   #69
Range-rover

I'm using a Nikon D200, I know it's a older model but it's size is great, it fit's well in
the hands, great colors and what I really love about it, it's not a menu loaded camera
with things all over the place just direct to the point and that's what I like, but I have
to add that I have been using two Nikon Rangefinders, a S3 and S2 I just need my
film sometimes.

Range

Old 12-14-2012   #70
RichLavigne

5DmkIII's... I'm a professional wedding photographer.

Old 12-14-2012   #71
RichLavigne

Quote:
Originally Posted by honozooloo View Post

well said.

Old 12-14-2012   #72
Saul
fighting inertia

For my professional photography business a D700 with 85mm tilt-shift and 24-70mm f2.8 takes care of what's necessary without any whining. Quality, dependable, solid.

Just two
Old 12-14-2012   #73
randolph45

Just two

Just two a Canon 30D and just received this week a Canon 1Ds for its full frame sensor.I may replace the 30D with a 5D MK1 later.Not being a pro I won't use this stuff to it's
full potential,but it is great gear at the right price

Old 12-14-2012   #74
Bill Clark

Canon 20D first DSLR

Canon 5D Mark something

Canon 1D Mark something I think. It's big & heavy!

My first was the 20D. Camera has flicked its shutter over 100k and still works just fine!

Old 12-14-2012   #75
Tijmendal
Young photog

Canon 5Dc. Great camera for the price. And Canon takes MF glass whereas Nikon doesn't.

Old 12-14-2012   #76
imhere
Peter

I've recently purchased the D800 and I use the Fuji XPro 1 and film as well.

Old 12-14-2012   #77
wakarimasen

Canon 1D Mark IIn. Bought some time ago to replace a 40D which didn't feel fast enough to photograph my sons' football games. Taking 500 pictures at 8fps is an area where I feel digital is king.

Have recently wondered whether a Nikon D2XS might have been an adequate (if not better) choice, for the little extra 'reach' its' 1.5X crop factor provides.

Best regards,
RoyM

Old 12-15-2012   #78
ChrisLivsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tijmendal View Post
Canon 5Dc. Great camera for the price. And Canon takes MF glass whereas Nikon doesn't.
I suppose it depends on the MF glass but 'blad to Nikon:

http://www.adorama.com/CZHSNK.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/red_eyes_man/

Old 12-15-2012   #79
traveler_101
American abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshapero View Post
Many of us do use a DSLR. Which one do you use and why?
No, nay, nei. That should have been an option. It's an interesting question for me because I gravitated to Rangefinders in part as a result of my dislike of the DSLR--which I experienced only briefly. I had had a Canon manual SLR which I liked very much. Not so the DSLR--for a lot of reasons, starting with its hideous appearance. Many of you make your living shooting and I see why you use the DSLR.

Old 12-15-2012   #80
3rdtrick

Absolutely! I have a D800 and there are quite a few things that my M9 just won't do so I make use of both systems. My favorite 3 lens airshow kit is 35 Lux pre-A, 50 Lux ASPH and my 300 F4 AFS.
Pete