Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Clubs, Critique, RFF Projects, Salon > RFF Photo Projects

RFF Photo Projects This is the place for keeping track of the Range Finder Forum (RFF) photo projects.

got it
Old 06-13-2013   #41
ampguy

got it

just the photo, until after the voting, then if you choose, you can provide details, location, context. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiwasoyokaze View Post
the one with living things with be my first preference. did you also want a short blurb accompanying the photo? or let the picture speak for itself?

Old 06-13-2013   #42
ampguy

I've viewed some of the early submissions on a private flickr acct. and I think voters will be very pleased with the amount of detail visible in these images. Have viewed in mobile and standard new flickr site, on ipod, kindle fire, nexus 7, pc's macbook air and chromebooks at 1440x900, 1376 x 768, 1280x1024.

I think with original file size mode, and better displays, we are nearing the ability to see print quality on displays, yet the bandwidth friendly interface of flickr will by default send a low res image, so no one will automatically get a multi-MB download, if they are say on a limited or paid service, and may be fine with the small image to review.

Old 06-13-2013   #43
Michael Da Re

I just picked up a Pen Mini as an easy carry camera so I'm in if it's not too late. I'll use my Zuiko 50mm on it.

excellent
Old 06-13-2013   #44
ampguy

excellent

plenty of time, the deadline is still ~July 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Da Re View Post
I just picked up a Pen Mini as an easy carry camera so I'm in if it's not too late. I'll use my Zuiko 50mm on it.

Old 06-15-2013   #45
ampguy

how is everyone with moving the project up for version 1, while keeping v2 on for 7/1?

Since only a handful of us are participating so far, if you're good with doing a mini v1 project ready to vote in a day or two, let me know. Feel free to submit 2 or 3 images.

Old 06-15-2013   #46
Harry Caul

I vote to stick with the original plan. I'm guessing most people (myself included) haven't submitted yet because we know we still have time left to make great images. No need to hurry things along...

My $0.02.

Thanks Harry
Old 06-16-2013   #47
ampguy

Thanks Harry

Good feedback. So is everyone else planning to participate, OK with a couple more weeks, or is there an alpha team ready to to try an early pre v1 quick voting cycle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Caul View Post
I vote to stick with the original plan. I'm guessing most people (myself included) haven't submitted yet because we know we still have time left to make great images. No need to hurry things along...

My $0.02.

Old 06-18-2013   #48
ampguy

more great images are coming in. Better sooner than later. Weather predictions indicate harsh lighting and big UV storms between now and July 1. Better to take your images now

Old 06-25-2013   #49
ampguy

less than a week left. feel free to submit 2 images, but identify which one is your preferred image, if we need to reduce to a single image per person.

Old 06-29-2013   #50
ampguy

Couple of days left to submit your m43 bw OOC images. Go ahead and submit 2 if you like.

Old 06-29-2013   #51
ampguy

OK, getting more submissions, make sure they are large, 1600 MIN on long side, preferably just Out of Camera JPG.

Thanks, we'll start voting July 2.

Old 07-01-2013   #52
ampguy

OK, we have 10 images. We're ready to start voting (which is open to ALL) which will end in a week (7/9).

The link to the images is on flickr, here: http://flickr.com/gp/kittyslate/hx1S9w/

Please post your results in this thread, rating each image from 1 to 5. If any of the images are yours, just rate them a 3. The photographers can comment on their images, and identify which ones are theirs, the titles, and context, gear info., etc. after the voting period (1 week) is over.

So results for voting posts should be like this:

1: x
2: x
3: x
4: x
5: x
6: x
7: x
8: x
9: x
10: x

where x is 1 to 5.

Vote as many 1s or 5s as you like, and on any criteria that you, the voter prefers. Keep in mind that these were all taken in bw mode on m43 cameras, and have no post processing. The images are large, feel free to view them in the large and original modes to see high levels of detail in each of the images. Get used to the new flickr interface. If you don't like the ken burns slideshow effect, you can manually step through them. View them large!

Thanks for submitting, and thanks for voting!

Old 07-02-2013   #53
ampguy

OK, I'll go first:

1: 3
2: 3
3: 4
4: 4
5: 3
6: 4
7: 3
8: 4
9: 3
10: 2

Old 07-02-2013   #54
Harry Caul

3: 3
4: 3
5: 3
7: 2
8: 4
9: 2

Old 07-02-2013   #55
Michael Da Re

1: 4
3: 2
5: 4
8: 3

Old 07-02-2013   #56
seakayaker1

1: 4
2: 5
3: 3
4: 2
5: 5
6: 3
7: 4
8: 2

Life is Grand! ~~~ Dan
M Monochrom ~ M-P (240), M6 TTL & MP ~ Mamiya 7 II ~ GF1 ~ K5IIs
~ Rolleiflex f3.5 with Carl Zeiss 75mm Planar (type 4) ~
The hardest part of starting a new project is starting it ~ Keith Carter
Flickr Sets: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Old 07-02-2013   #57
kdemas
ʎlʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp sƃuıɥʇ ǝǝS

Here are mine. Good luck to all that participated!

2: 4
5: 5
8: 3

Old 07-02-2013   #58
kknox

1:3
2:3
3:3
4:2
5:3
6:3
7:4
8:3
9:2
10:2

Old 07-03-2013   #59
Michael Da Re

I'm beginning to think nobody really cares. I wonder why that is?

??
Old 07-04-2013   #60
ampguy

??

Michael, I don't understand? We have several submissions, several voters so far, and several days more to go? Can you explain further?

If you're referring to the # of viewers, to the # of voters, I think it's OK. It's one thing to click and view something, another to get a pen or pencil out and actually think about 10 images. I think our ratio is OK. We still have several days to go for some more voters.

Quote:
I'm beginning to think nobody really cares. I wonder why that is?

Old 07-04-2013   #61
pjmacd

Here are my ratings. I found this thread too late to participate as a photographer.

5: 2
8: 5

Thanks
Old 07-04-2013   #62
ampguy

Thanks

If there's interest, I'd be pleased to run this again in a few months or so. But anyone can run projects here. I'd participate in one like this again.

There will probably be some good feedback after the voting is over on 7/9 and folks discuss their images, rules, presentation, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmacd View Post
Here are my ratings. I found this thread too late to participate as a photographer.

5: 2
8: 5

Old 07-04-2013   #63
Michael Da Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampguy View Post
Michael, I don't understand? We have several submissions, several voters so far, and several days more to go? Can you explain further?

If you're referring to the # of viewers, to the # of voters, I think it's OK. It's one thing to click and view something, another to get a pen or pencil out and actually think about 10 images. I think our ratio is OK. We still have several days to go for some more voters.
I've noticed that if a thread gets pushed far enough to the back people tend to forget about it. Just my way of keeping it in the present.

ok, got it
Old 07-04-2013   #64
ampguy

ok, got it

we could also insert a lively discussion topic in here that would keep this on or near page 1.

Like what do you think of that new digital stuff vs film??

Quote:
I've noticed that if a thread gets pushed far enough to the back people tend to forget about it. Just my way of keeping it in the present.

Thats interesting about the file byte size////
Old 07-04-2013   #65
kuzano

Thats interesting about the file byte size////

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampguy View Post
The EPL-1, like almost all stuff from Olympus had a lot of interesting features. One is the huge jpg file sizes, for 10MP, way larger than say the M8's JPGs, and even some DSLRs with same # of MP.
That would be an appropriate attrubute of the increases sharpness from the weaker AA filter.

I was doing some testing on focus effect on file size. It turned out that two imqges taken with all the same settings for digital with one in focus and one out of focus (intentioanally) would result in the file that was in focus, would always be sharper than the same image capture out of focus... with the result that the sharply focused file always resulting in more bytes. From then on, when I had two images the same, i chose the larger byte size as the sharper in focus.

That was before the intro and advent of the E-PL1 with the weaker AA filter, thereby proving the reason for the E-PL1 images being higher Mb size. Weaker AA filter, sharper image, better focus overall, result ..... larger file byte size.

Thanks for pulling that together for me.

interesting
Old 07-06-2013   #66
ampguy

interesting

I'll have to do some tests like you did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzano View Post
That would be an appropriate attrubute of the increases sharpness from the weaker AA filter.

I was doing some testing on focus effect on file size. It turned out that two imqges taken with all the same settings for digital with one in focus and one out of focus (intentioanally) would result in the file that was in focus, would always be sharper than the same image capture out of focus... with the result that the sharply focused file always resulting in more bytes. From then on, when I had two images the same, i chose the larger byte size as the sharper in focus.

That was before the intro and advent of the E-PL1 with the weaker AA filter, thereby proving the reason for the E-PL1 images being higher Mb size. Weaker AA filter, sharper image, better focus overall, result ..... larger file byte size.

Thanks for pulling that together for me.

Old 07-06-2013   #67
kknox

No one wants to vote?

Voting is going OK
Old 07-07-2013   #68
ampguy

Voting is going OK

and we've got a couple more days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kknox View Post
No one wants to vote?

Old 07-08-2013   #69
ampguy

Today is the last day for voting. If you have the time and interest, please review the 10 photos here, and submit your votes here. Thanks!

http://flickr.com/gp/kittyslate/hx1S9w/

Old 07-08-2013   #70
ampguy

A few more voters could break a tie or two, however, here is another novel idea to add to the voting:

Since we're on the honor system here, and the photographers are anonymous, unless they want to identify their images after the results are provided tomorrow, anyone can vote again.

By voting again, I don't mean looking back at your first set of results and copying/pasting, but looking at the images, and voting again *without* looking back at your initial voting info. I would be very surprised if anyone voted exactly the same.

In any case, I will post the results sometime tomorrow, and will provide them with unique voters, and if applicable with duplicate vote data.

Old 07-08-2013   #71
ampguy

Here are my 2nd vote results. Last time I looked at them in original size, with the incredible detail, and now I will look at them on a different device, and a fit to screen size:

1. 3
2. 4
3. 4
4. 3
5. 3
6. 3
7. 3
8. 4
9. 3
10. 3

Old 07-09-2013   #72
ampguy

OK, here are the results! All of the scores were added up and averaged (I did not include my '2nd votes').

The winning image is #6

2nd place is a tie with images #2 and #5

3rd place is #8

Congratulations to all who submitted images, and thanks to everyone who voted.

I will leave the images up for another week or so.

I took the images of the old cars in the parade, which came in near the end of the voting range. The images were taken from the sidewalk area, well past sundown, with an EPL1 and Hexanon 57/1.4 at ISO 3200.

Old 07-09-2013   #73
kknox

I shot image #6. I used my G5, with a Leica DG Summilux 25 1.4 lens. The camera was set at Monochrome 400asa, at F3.2 1/500.

Thanks it was fun

Old 07-09-2013   #74
seakayaker1

Thanks for running the contest and to all the folks who submitted a photograph. If I saw the thread in time I would have added a photograph but did enjoy looking at the photographs that were submitted and voted.

Life is Grand! ~~~ Dan
M Monochrom ~ M-P (240), M6 TTL & MP ~ Mamiya 7 II ~ GF1 ~ K5IIs
~ Rolleiflex f3.5 with Carl Zeiss 75mm Planar (type 4) ~
The hardest part of starting a new project is starting it ~ Keith Carter
Flickr Sets: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Old 07-09-2013   #75
Michael Da Re

#8 was mine. I used a Pen Mini w/Zuiko 35mm 2.8 on a tripod. Iso 200 f11 at 1/25 sec shutter speed. I enjoyed participating. Hopefully we do it again, but maybe this time we could make it more interesting by having everyone shoot a certain theme.

Old 07-10-2013   #76
kaiwasoyokaze
Half Frame Goodness

thanks all for participating and for voting. i tried voting many times, but it's definitely harder than participating. I tried voting and had my scores posted in the reply box many times but couldn't make up my mind to press the submit button!

http://soyokazekaiwa.tumblr.com/
Monologue in Busan

I agree
Old 07-10-2013   #77
ampguy

I agree

It is also hard for me to vote on images, and even to select the best of my own. I will often look at captures at another time, and wonder why I didn't select or print some, instead of others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiwasoyokaze View Post
thanks all for participating and for voting. i tried voting many times, but it's definitely harder than participating. I tried voting and had my scores posted in the reply box many times but couldn't make up my mind to press the submit button!

Old 07-11-2013   #78
Harry Caul

Thanks ampguy for organizing this!

Looks like I tied with myself for second

#2: Fine Art Upskirt
My first thought when seeing this candid party pic was, "damn, I wish my wife hadn't been holding the fork!" and I initially ruled it out. However, I found myself coming back to it over and over as the fork grew on me. I ended up like the unsettling, borderline sinister element it adds.

#5: Sweet Dreams
A shot of my printmaker friend sleeping in his art studio late at night. He is resting his head on a board he dries his screens on and he is flanked by self portrait nude paintings from the person he shares the space with.

In case anyone cares, here were the other five I was picking from for the month. I wasn't sure if the kid photos would be appreciated here on RFF so I had ruled those out. However looking back, I really love that last one... a nice "decisive moment shot" with the faces of concern on the adults juxtaposed with my daughters excitement! Then again, I also love the strong "X" lines of the POV pool jump as well. Or the serene pool scene about to be upended with a flip. Gah, I'm terrible with selection and editing of my own work!

Old 07-11-2013   #79
ampguy

Thanks for participating Harry, and Congratulations on places #2 AND #3!

The first image reminds me of a pac man monster! 2nd image looks like Mario (or Luigi?)!

The last few images that you didn't submit, definitely are decisive moments!