Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Nikon Historical Society

Nikon Historical Society -- hosted by the founding member Bob Rotoloni and members of the society. The NHS, based the US, has a worldwide membership. Our "Nikon Journal," published four times a year, concentrates on the history of Japanese photo equipment from the perspective of the Nikon Camera Company. The Nikon Journal often includes Nikon information not published anywhere else in the world. This forum provides an opportunity for conversation between collectors and users of classic film Nikons. See forum “stickies” for more information about the Society. If you are a serious Nikon Collector, you MUST be a NHS member. Join at http://www.nikonhistoricalsociety.com/!

A minor low speed question
Old 10-15-2013   #1
M Currie

A minor low speed question

I have a variety of F's, all but one relatively late, FTn era. I have one, however, a 65~ vintage plain viewer one, which I bought, amazingly enough, from a local camera store's junk bin for five dollars. It works well, though it needed its prism tightened, and it is, of course, a little brassed, a little dented, and the shutter curtain is a little wrinkled, though it actually looks pretty good.

My question is that alone among my F's when I use low shutter speeds, I can hear the timer running past the point where the shutter closes. It seems that the speeds are all right, but I'm unused to hearing the timer overrun the shutter. Is this normal? Might it be something that was changed as the run continued? Should I worry (not that I will very much)?

Old 11-07-2013   #2
davidphillip

This has to do with the adjustment of the "slow speed governor" (Nikon's phrase), not with the vintage. I have a 1st production batch camera which doesn't do that, and later ones which do. Doesn't affect the function - just makes it sound like a Leica!

Old 11-09-2013   #3
M Currie

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidphillip View Post
This has to do with the adjustment of the "slow speed governor" (Nikon's phrase), not with the vintage. I have a 1st production batch camera which doesn't do that, and later ones which do. Doesn't affect the function - just makes it sound like a Leica!
Thanks. It seems from use that it makes no difference, but I've only shot it with fairly wide latitude print film, so it's good to double check.