Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Frank Jackson on Street Photography

Frank Jackson on Street Photography I am happy and excited to announce a new RFF forum on Street Photography mentored by Frank Jackson, one of the best producers of analog B/W prints I have ever seen. His shows include the Open Shutter Gallery, Heriard-Cimino Gallery, and Ogden Museum of Southern Art. His images are in the collections of Smithsonian Ogden Museum of Southern Art, California Afro American Museum and Xavier University New Orleans LA. He has worked for or has been featured with Visa Card, Xerox, UCLA, Eric Owen Moss, Architect, Hasselblad Forum (cover),Gordon Parks, Muhammed Ali, Million Man March Wash. DC, Lionel Hampton, jazz legion photographer , 1995-2002, Stevie Wonder, B+W Magazine (British version) twice, Rangefinder Magazine, Dahon Bicycles, Arelli Wheels, Real Product Design, Automobile Club of Southern California. Frank's online images are at fotographz.500px.com and fotographzfrankjackson.tumblr.com . "While on this diverse photographic journey…I have to say during this whole time my love for fine art black and white photography kept growing. I always found time to shoot in different cities and my own personal work…this has sustained me through some very tough times. As of 2012, with the help of a very good friend I maintain a state-of-the-art dream darkroom. The darkroom helps greatly in the on-going practice of understanding “the light”, being able to process film and print drives me to keep my digital photography “organic”. I’m curious visually and shooting what’s, what on the street feeds this curiosity. Everyday I walk out my front door to “see” the world with a digital camera, a film camera, the “cup” and an open mind (mostly).

Old 02-08-2015   #41
craygc

Old 02-08-2015   #42
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTuomey View Post
Gabriel, that last one struck me as very Sander-like, meaning that as high praise of course.
Why, merci bien.

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.
Together we can combat bandwidth waste (and image scrolling).

My Flickr | (one of) My Portfolio

Old 02-08-2015   #43
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
... and what about colour? (...)
... is colour allowed?

Soitenly, most def'n'tly.

It makes ordering a tad bit more difficult, though (which is why I didn't put much thought in the sequence here). There's also the highly-distractable crowd, who find it more difficult to see when it's not in B&W, which is why it's "safer" to go with B&W.

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.
Together we can combat bandwidth waste (and image scrolling).

My Flickr | (one of) My Portfolio

Old 02-08-2015   #44
julio1fer

Two that I like.

Old 02-08-2015   #45
gb hill

As discussed in the other thread the term street photography is quite a generic term. Can it also include photos taken around a lake?

Old 02-08-2015   #46
BLKRCAT
99% Film

What is street to me?

I like something that tells a story.

Take risks, get close

Even with characters who may be unpredictable.

Perfect legs

And not being afraid to try new things

Something like that anyways...

Old 02-08-2015   #47
kxl
Social Documentary

I am working on a long-term, multi-year 'street photography' project called "Hope and Resiliency in the Face of Poverty in the Philippines." The project will be segmented into several series of images -- each series with its own unique theme.

I'm going back to the Philippines next month to capture more images. Unfortunately, I will only get to stay a few days.

These images are part of the theme: 'Mothers and Daughters of Alaminos, Pangasinan.'

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence.” ― Sebastiao Salgado

Old 02-08-2015   #48
sreed2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotographz View Post
What makes a Street Photograph good to you? (theory)

Will you post to this thread a Street Photograph you've taken? (practice)

Let's find the definitions "in the doing" (practice)

cheers
Frank
When I see what I consider a good street photograph, I find that the composition is pleasant and complete within the frame (usually), and that there is a bit of mystery as to what is happening. There's enough mystery to bring curiosity, so that I hope by examining the picture more the mystery will be solved. I'm not too good at producing those kinds of pictures, but here's one I took that comes close.

Uptown Dallas Crosswalk
by sreed2006, on Flickr

My favorite question is "What does this button do?"

Old 02-08-2015   #49
OurManInTangier
An Undesirable

I've been trying to think of what makes a good street photograph in my eyes and I've utterly failed to pinpoint it down to one, or even two or three things. Form, Light, Composition, Emotion, Questions, Recognition...or lack of. It seems, to me, like a good street photograph can (and perhaps should) have any of so many attributes.

At the moment it would seem the only answer I honestly have is that a good street photograph makes me either (or more honestly still, both) wish that I had had the opportunity to take it or simply make me want to put the book down/turn off the computer/leave the gallery and pick up my camera.

Apologies for the same old same old, just whats handily linkable from my photobucket

| SLP: Work website

Old 02-08-2015   #50
OurManInTangier
An Undesirable

Oh, and welcome to RFF Frank, looking forward to your input here.

| SLP: Work website

Old 02-08-2015   #51
rhl-oregon
Cameras Guitars Wonders

I prefer inclusive to exclusive definitions, though the wag in me thinks that all things being equal, street photography probably ought to involve something concrete, whether it's up close and personal...

...as here with Mr Dinkelkamp pulling on his shoe in the midst of his life story

or a bit more distanced in social witness...

...as with Conrad on the 6th day of his hunger strike for shelter with the Occupy organizers in the background of the federal building. Still personal in its narrative...

...yet if it's a public, civic space, room to witness factions impersonally at work

...or representatives of a cohort or demographic group

Despite the wag in me associating "street" photography with concrete, sidewalk, plaza, architected/urbanized space, the work I like best exemplifies 1/candor (on the part of the photographer at least) and 2/subjective gesture, by which I do not mean "a pose," but an action or a repose that reveals character.

http://rhl.photography

Old 02-08-2015   #52
back alley
IMAGES

late to the party...i missed this thread yesterday!
this is what it looks like in my neighbourhood right now...

this is where i work...

this is my heritage...italian ladies sitting and chatting...the only thing missing is the hands flying in the air...

to me, street is pretty much anything outside my front door...i grew up in nyc and loved walking throughout the neighbourhood alone or with friends...started to carry a camera when i was about 19...now at 64 i still do.

Old 02-08-2015   #53
froyd

Frank- welcome to RFF. Glad to have the benefit of your insights.

The brackets I put around street photography fall very much along the lines of what RichardG wrote in the fourth post: "I see street as lots of things. Shapes and Theatre are the two categories I often think of." To that I would add a feeling of spontaneity or feeling of a moment that's candid.

Several on this thread have written that they know street photography when they see it. I would like to ask the group if the following image qualifies as street photography.

1024) {this.width=1024;this.alt='Click here to see a large version';}" onmouseover="if(this.alt) this.style.cursor='pointer';" onclick="if(this.alt) window.open('http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffgallery/gallery/6408/U6408I1423436297.SEQ.0.jpg');" border="0">

I recently made a print of this image for a show at a local gallery and it was interesting hearing how many people classified as street, whereas I'm not sure exactly what it is. The image started as a pin-up"ish" environmental portrait. Something staged. Very much anti-street. But then, after a few frames, the busboy started walking in and out of the nearby restaurant and in the frame above he stopped to look toward the curious scene on the sidewalk, and in doing so, he made the picture come together. His reaction is genuine and spontaneous. a bit of street theater as Richard wrote...but it's only half the story.

Curious to hear everyone's thoughts about the street/not street question, though I'll admit I'm not overly concerned about how to classify the image, which I like regardless.

Old 02-08-2015   #54
DNG
Film Friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotographz View Post

1) What makes a Street Photograph good to you? (theory)

2) Will you post to this thread a Street Photograph you've taken? (practice)

3) Let's find the definitions "in the doing" (practice)

cheers
Frank
1) For me, the subject must be interesting to look at, it can be an out of place expression, or jester, or something that makes you think what they may be thinking of. Sometimes it can be an inopportune or embarrassing moment for a little Photo Comedy (#3)

2) Images for #1

2014 Classic Street Photography by Peter Arbib STREET, on Flickr

2015 Classic Street Photography by Peter Arbib STREET, on Flickr

2013 Classic Street Photography by Peter Arbib STREET, on Flickr

Nikon: F2, EM, Konica: FS-1, TC,

Nikkor: 24mm f/2.8 Ais, 28mm f/3.5 Ai, 35mm f/2 O N/Ai 50mm f/1.4 S N/Ai, 105mm f/2.5 P N/Ai
Hexanon: 28mm f/3.5 AR, 40mm f/1.8 AR, 57mm f/1.2 AR

Old 02-08-2015   #55
Michael Da Re

From what I've noticed so far you can ask 20 people their definition of "Street Photography" and receive 20 different answers. This leaves me believing that there are no absolute rules governing the genre. Whatever you feel the genre should be is what it should be for you...run with it. There are a lot of wonderful photos here, but I notice quite a few people apologize for what they post. If your photos are what you consider to be "Street" then be proud of that. Here are a few of mine (no apologies)

Old 02-08-2015   #56
KarlG

For me, what makes a good street photograph is a balance between composition, interesting layers, the capture of a moment or moments within the frame & something which tells a story at the same time.

Here are a few of my street shots:

1024) {this.width=1024;this.alt='Click here to see a large version';}" onmouseover="if(this.alt) this.style.cursor='pointer';" onclick="if(this.alt) window.open('https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7543/15906401295_25dcb1f5cb_b.jpg');" border="0"> 1024) {this.width=1024;this.alt='Click here to see a large version';}" onmouseover="if(this.alt) this.style.cursor='pointer';" onclick="if(this.alt) window.open('https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7543/15906401295_25dcb1f5cb_b.jpg');" border="0">

1024) {this.width=1024;this.alt='Click here to see a large version';}" onmouseover="if(this.alt) this.style.cursor='pointer';" onclick="if(this.alt) window.open('https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7472/15888231121_1b47e58864_b.jpg');" border="0"> 1024) {this.width=1024;this.alt='Click here to see a large version';}" onmouseover="if(this.alt) this.style.cursor='pointer';" onclick="if(this.alt) window.open('https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7472/15888231121_1b47e58864_b.jpg');" border="0">

1024) {this.width=1024;this.alt='Click here to see a large version';}" onmouseover="if(this.alt) this.style.cursor='pointer';" onclick="if(this.alt) window.open('https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7557/15251738144_cf74dababf_o.jpg');" border="0"> 1024) {this.width=1024;this.alt='Click here to see a large version';}" onmouseover="if(this.alt) this.style.cursor='pointer';" onclick="if(this.alt) window.open('https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7557/15251738144_cf74dababf_o.jpg');" border="0">
Camera
LEICA M (Typ 240)

Focal Length
28mm

Aperture
f/4.8

Exposure
1/125s

ISO

1024) {this.width=1024;this.alt='Click here to see a large version';}" onmouseover="if(this.alt) this.style.cursor='pointer';" onclick="if(this.alt) window.open('https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7320/15857918244_d8f2c22885_o.jpg');" border="0"> 1024) {this.width=1024;this.alt='Click here to see a large version';}" onmouseover="if(this.alt) this.style.cursor='pointer';" onclick="if(this.alt) window.open('https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7320/15857918244_d8f2c22885_o.jpg');" border="0">
Camera
LEICA M (Typ 240)

Focal Length
28mm

Aperture
f/8

Exposure
1/750s

ISO

1024) {this.width=1024;this.alt='Click here to see a large version';}" onmouseover="if(this.alt) this.style.cursor='pointer';" onclick="if(this.alt) window.open('https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7488/15307650663_29a12ee095_b.jpg');" border="0"> 1024) {this.width=1024;this.alt='Click here to see a large version';}" onmouseover="if(this.alt) this.style.cursor='pointer';" onclick="if(this.alt) window.open('https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7488/15307650663_29a12ee095_b.jpg');" border="0">
Website | Flickr | Instagram

Old 02-09-2015   #57
Sparrow

^ ... those are refreshingly different to my old-world eyes, lovely stuff Karl

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015

You’re only young once, but one can always be immature.

flickr stuff

Old 02-10-2015   #58
shiro_kuro
Charles Bowen

When I watch old black and white movies and can pause the film at any point .. and see perfectly composed slices of life ... Akira Kurosawa for example ... For me the great street photographers do this with real life .... stopping the flow of life , capturing within a frame that very thing that cannot be described, gripping its viewer ... wether it's humor or sadness ,stillness or chaos ,anyway this is the best I can do describing it for myself .

I don't feel these two images are up to that level which I consider a great street photo ,non the less they are examples of situations that caught my eye while walking around with a camera .......

Old 02-11-2015   #59
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

KarlG,

great stuff. Not just because it's exotic and far away, but also composition, framing, focus, etc.

As said, refreshingly different, keep up that good work!

I write vintage gear reviews on www.johanniels.com |

flickr | instagram |

Old 02-11-2015   #60
DNG
Film Friendly

KarlG

Post 57, 1st image......Amazing View.... At first I thought is was from above, BUT NO.... a regular straight on viewpoint.... What a great illusion in the framing...

I do also like the others, all nicely framed, great timing, and the Color... yes, color is needed for these!

Nikon: F2, EM, Konica: FS-1, TC,

Nikkor: 24mm f/2.8 Ais, 28mm f/3.5 Ai, 35mm f/2 O N/Ai 50mm f/1.4 S N/Ai, 105mm f/2.5 P N/Ai
Hexanon: 28mm f/3.5 AR, 40mm f/1.8 AR, 57mm f/1.2 AR

Old 02-11-2015   #61
airfrogusmc

Welcome Frank and I can't say it any better than Bresson did...
"What reinforces the content of a photograph is the sense of rhythm – the relationship between shapes and values." - Henri Cartier-Bresson

"To me, photography is the simultaneous recognition, in a fraction of a second, of the significance of an event, as well as of a precise organisation of forms which give that event its proper expression."-Henry Cartier-Bresson

"....content cannot be separated from form. By form, I mean the rigorous organisation of the interplay of surfaces, lines and values. It is in this organisation alone that our conceptions and emotions become concrete and communicable. In photography, visual organisation can stem only from a developed instinct." - Henri Cartier-Bresson

Old 02-17-2015   #62
hexiplex

For me (street) photography is in large parts about intimacy. Seeing other peoples lives as if they were my own, as part of my own life. Being allowed into the reality of another person for however long it takes the shutter to pass over the sensor or the film used to capture their likeness. Maybe even for a quick chat afterwards.

Another poster wrote briefly on candor on the photographers end, and that is where I like to position myself these days. Being up front about myself, my camera and my intentions. To steal into peoples lives with a simple 'hello' and genuine interest, not only in how they look or will look when photographed - but an interest in them as people who I share public space with.

Then again, being unobtrusive is fun too...!