Old 03-29-2018   #721
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

UNIROLLER UPDATE: I replaced the O-rings on the rollers with fresh ones. I work in a nuclear research lab so I have a supply.

I unmounted the internal switch to get rid of the binding that stalled the motor. Pretty much loosened two screws and secured with some tie-wraps after insulating with electrical tape.

The JOBO 3013 seems to been made for use with the Uniroller. Every lazy slacker should get a Uniroller. I'm good to go.

Cal

Old 03-30-2018   #722
Jake Mongey

Hate to say it guys but im going to be out of the 70mm Game for the foreseeable future. Both my nikon FE and hasselblad El cameras need replacing due to bad luck and Ive had to sell all my 70mm Gear (The tank sold in 3 mins so theres certainly people wanting to shoot it)

Once I have a hasselblad again I do plan to come back but it will be back to square one - my logic was that there is no point being able to develop film I cannot shoot

Old 03-30-2018   #723
wjlapier

That's a bummer, Jake. FWIW, I have a Hasselblad 70mm back you can have if you decide to build a Hasselblad kit. I got it cheap but decided i'm sticking with my Mamiya RB kit. Recently, I used my RB 70mm back on a Mamiya Universal and that pretty much sealed it for me.

Old 03-30-2018   #724
Jake Mongey

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjlapier View Post
That's a bummer, Jake. FWIW, I have a Hasselblad 70mm back you can have if you decide to build a Hasselblad kit. I got it cheap but decided i'm sticking with my Mamiya RB kit. Recently, I used my RB 70mm back on a Mamiya Universal and that pretty much sealed it for me.
Wow thats so kind! Im going to be replacing the hasselblad body as I have the lenses etc already but its just a matter of replacing the body! Although its expensive! Ill certainly take you up on that offer though when the time comes!

Its a bummer having to get rid of the tank though
However as Nokton has said in another thread I could run 220 lengths in the meantime!

Old 04-05-2018   #725
Nokton48

Yes Jake if you have a roll of 70mm (I'd suggest Rollei 400s) and an A70 you can run 220 lengths in a Patterson or JOBO tank.

Hope you are able to come back!

Old 04-05-2018   #726
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Jake,

All the best. Come back soon.

Cal

Old 04-26-2018   #727
Nokton48

Hmmmmm Not much photo activity over the last three weeks. Goran was nice enough to sell me another Graflex RH50 for $25 including shipping from British Columbia. I got it today and it's another beauty..... I will convert this one also from Graflex XL, to 4x5 Graphmatic. Very simple and easy to do. This will let me shoot two kinds of 6x7cm 70mm simultaneously, in my Plaubel Makiflexes. Which is a good thing for me.

Goran once told me he compared 120 versus 70mm Ilford prices, they were about the same. To me the advantage for 70mm users is the photo firepower.

https://www.ilfordphoto.com/wp/wp-co...cipants-sb.pdf

Also Ilford has started their 2018 ULF Program, the deadline for ordering is May 25 2018. I called my local Ilford Dealer (Midwest Photo) and they quoted me $173.56 for fifty feet of fresh 70mm type II perfed HP5+. This year I will order at least a few. Orders paid up front, no cancellation possible. Delivery in Fall 2018.

Who else here is ordering 70mm Ilford HP5+????

Graflex RH50 70mm Backs by Nokton48, on Flickr

New back (unmodified) on the left, modified back on the right. Very easy to do.

Old 04-26-2018   #728
wjlapier

$170 something for 50ft. Compared to ~$90 for the Rollei 400 for 100ft. Why buy the Ilford for almost double the price and half the length?

Old 04-28-2018   #729
Kai-san
Filmwaster

Personally I would have preferred Pan F. But you would probably have to buy large quantities to get the price down to a sensible level.

Old 05-03-2018   #730
gorbas

Hi Guys, finally I had some free time to try Maco Ort25c slitted from 70mm to 120. I exposed it in Rolleiflex 3.5F at 12iso and processed in Rodinal 1:100 at 20C, 8min with 2 tank rotation per minute. My first test was at 10min and it was too much. Next one will be more like 7min. I used incident light measurement. Scanned with Nikon 8000. Absolutely minimal corrections in LR.
There are many speculations of origin of this film on Internet, like: EFKE R14, FilmoTec aka ORWO NP-15 or Agfa Gevaert. But who knows? Prewash water was deep blue/purple similar to old ORWO NP15 if i remember correctly. Glossy side of negative is more eggshell shine and film is curly and springy.
So far I'm happy with this results. Less development and maybe 10iso will do magic. Interestingly it render blue skies quite well, way better than I expected from ORTHO emulsion.
Dan told me that is still availabile in 70mm unperforated version directly from Maco. Also it's nice to be rolled to 616 or 116 format if you have backing paper and rolls.
Link to the pictures is:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/?

Old 05-03-2018   #731
Nokton48

Here is the 70mm unperforated Maco 25, 85 Euros for 15 meters. That includes VAT, which they would remove if you are not in the European Union.

https://www.macodirect.de/en/film/bl...m-unperforated

Old 05-03-2018   #732
gorbas

Dan, That is not bad price!
As I said earlier, when I'm out of my 70mm stock I do not have any intention to buy ULF 70mm film run from Ilford but I will be glad to buy their regular 120 films.
Now I need to try this Maco 25 in A70 and Rollei 400 with red and IR filters. Also Jukka send me 2 full cassettes of some sort of Kodak Aerocon 70mm film I need to figure out

Old 05-03-2018   #733
Nokton48

Jukka and I bought the 500 foot rolls of the Plus-X Aerorecon 3404 film. It's quite thin base, (don't kink it!) but super cheap.
Behaves like good 'ole Plus-X.

500 feet was 80 US Bucks.

70mm Aerial Films - Various by Nokton48, on Flickr

Old 05-03-2018   #734
gorbas

Plus-X Aerorecon 3404 film - Great! Well, it was deal of the century!
It's on very thin base. How do you treat it speed and processing wise? I'm familiar with 2405 Double X and I treat it at ei100.
I handle all of my 70mm in total darkness. My first roll of 2405 had severe light leak from both ends. I suspect cassette was worn out but ever since I never bring film in cassette to light.
Also just before his passing Tom A give me 2-35mm cassettes with some sort of Aerocon
film he got from Japan and he joked how i will mention him while loading reels. It's time to do it

Old 05-16-2018   #735
Kai-san
Filmwaster

I have been shopping around for a few 70mm accessories lately, it takes a bit of patience to find these things. First I came across 14 Kodak 70mm film cassettes for 105 Euros, that's 7,5 Euros a piece. I've been paying more than the double for those earlier.
And then a Watson 70mm bulk film loader turned up on ebay. That one did cost quite a bit more, but I managed to secure it. It's got film in it, the label on the outside says Ektachrome 200 Professional. The seller did not know what was in it, so I will cut off a bit and develop it in Rodinal 1:100. But if it's slide film I suppose I will get nothing?
I have tried to find a user manual for the Watson, but no luck so far. There are two counters, one says 'wooden core', the other is named 'metal core'. I assume one is for the bulk roll and the other for the cassette? Both counters go from 0 to 6, a bit confusing. I'd be happy if anyone here could help me out.

Old 05-20-2018   #736
gorbas

Nice collection of cassettes Kai! They look mint?
Sorry I don't use bulk loader, just wooden stick to measure length of film.
Somebody in this group must have the same loader?
Dan, where are you? You have everything!?

Old 05-21-2018   #737
Kai-san
Filmwaster

Thanks Gorbas! The cassettes look very nice, but I believe they have been used; five of them are missing the metal clip to hold the film end. But a bit of masking tape will be good enough. I'm sure somebody else must have the same loader, there could not have been that many models made for 70mm.

Old 05-21-2018   #738
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

The Ilford ULF deadline is the 25th. Ultrafine Online sent me a discount for orders over $1K. PM me with your e-mail and I'll forward it. Time to load up the truck.

Cal

Old 05-21-2018   #739
gorbas

Kai, you will not use all your cassettes in the same time. You can swap that metal ring from one spindle to another. At first I was just lightly taping my film to spindle but in one moment I just imagined sticky tape traveling over my big exposed shutter of Hasselblad FCW2000 and decided that from NOW I'm using only metal ring to secure film to spindle. No tape at all near that shutter
Goran

Old 05-22-2018   #740
Kai-san
Filmwaster

Good advice Goran, I'll keep that in mind. By the way I see that Linhof and Hasselblad cassettes have got a slit in the spool to keep the film fixed, that's possibly even better than the clip.

Old 05-22-2018   #741
Nokton48

Kai,
So you got a good supply of the silver spring clips there, and that is a very good price for all of it.

I had a 70mm Bulk loader but I sold it on. Now I load 70mm by hand.

0-6 film counter is very odd. Not sure on this one. Obviously not feet or meters??? Useful? Yes Very.............

Old 05-23-2018   #742
Nokton48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
The Ilford ULF deadline is the 25th. Ultrafine Online sent me a discount for orders over $1K. PM me with your e-mail and I'll forward it. Time to load up the truck.

Cal

Cal,
That is only two days away.
Midwest Photo is my local Ilford dealer.
This year I think I will place an order.
Thanks for the heads up.
-Dan

EDIT: Had a change off heart. I will wait.

Old 05-26-2018   #743
Freakscene
Deregistered user

https://www.fotoimpex.de/shopen/film...d-x-215-m.html

I think my heart just stopped. I don't have anything to shoot 70mm.

Marty

Old 05-26-2018   #744
Nokton48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakscene View Post

I think my heart just stopped. I don't have anything to shoot 70mm.

Marty

Since this is a 700 foot roll, it may be on a VERY thin base. Plus-X Aerorecon is that way.
What an amazing find! Thanks for sharing.

$2 a twelve exposure roll for 6x6cm Panatomic-X. Hmmmmmmmm...

Panatomic-x 70mm Aerographic by Nokton48, on Flickr

Old 05-26-2018   #745
Freakscene
Deregistered user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
Since this is a 700 foot roll, it may be on a VERY thin base. Plus-X Aerorecon is that way.
What an amazing find! Thanks for sharing.

$2 a twelve exposure roll for 6x6cm Panatomic-X. Hmmmmmmmm...
0.1 mm base: https://www.kodak.com/uploadedFiles/...oup/ti1172.pdf
I’ve handled lots of it and it’s feasible but tricky. It is a lot easier with a machine set up for it.

But FXP at that price . . . astounding.

Marty

Last edited by Freakscene : 05-26-2018 at 18:32. Reason: spelling fix, and removing excess self-loathing

Old 05-27-2018   #746
Nokton48

Whoooo Baby, this is really tempting. So by my calculations, for approximately $744.95 USA Dollars, I would have a 215 meter roll of 70mm Type II 70mm Panatomic-X Aerographic. This will yield 3,526 6x6cm exposures, not counting leader. That's roughly 293 rolls of 12 exposure. That's a net cost of $2.54 per 12 exposures, not counting leader and wastage. So basically a no money price per roll, as Cal will put it.

Marty, Do you think this is type II perforated? They say it is. I may buy a roll.

Old 05-27-2018   #747
Freakscene
Deregistered user

Quote:
Marty, Do you think this is type II perforated? They say it is. I may buy a roll.
It sure looks like it. Fotoimpex are trustworthy and responsive. Send them an email to check. If I was even vaguely able to get set up quickly for 70mm I'd be all over this. It's an almost absurd bargain.

Let us know how you go.

Marty

Old 05-27-2018   #748
Prest_400
Multiformat

Panatomic-X? Seems like unearthed NOS, wouldn't it be?

OT but from the Aerial type films there was Aerochrome Infrared. Dean, the supplier, seemed to run out of it in 2014 but seems that he found some during the meantime. Tried a roll for the novelty, it's supposed to run out in about a year unless some old stock surfaces. Sad to lose some of these fun films.

The other day I virtually ran into a folk on IG that posted him having a Hassie A70 back but lacked the cassettes. I pointed him to this thread and the Rollei IR in 70mm fresh from Macodirect. Well, I made his day as he loves that film and IR.

Think he's still waiting on that roll and got some cassettes. Told that will do 220 sized loads manually on the darkroom and it seemed a great idea. 3€ a 120 roll equivalent makes me envious, just like the lengths for extended no-reload needs.

So, out of the forum I got someone into the 70mm club. I'll be stuck on 8exp 6x9 or quite a while unless I find a Hassie kit by happenstance.

Old 05-27-2018   #749
Nokton48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prest_400 View Post
Panatomic-X? Seems like unearthed NOS, wouldn't it be?

Nice going Prest400. Everybody knows 70mm is dead, right????

Yes I think New Old Stock, Expiration date is 2009. Those of us that crave Panatomic-X know this was the last year or so of FXP production. So, virtually just like it rolled off the Kodak lines, since it has been deep frozen. Some will find this to be the holy grail of film deals. Wonder how many rolls they have?

Search on Ebay and see what old old 120 FXP has sold for in the past. Whoa Baby. Stratospheric prices. Amazingly almost always still fine, being such a slow film.

Old 05-28-2018   #750
gorbas

A few years ago I bought 100' of 35mm Panatomic X expired in 1968. No idea how was stored? As good as its gets!
This 70mm offering is tempting!

Old 05-28-2018   #751
Nokton48

Quote:
Fotoimpex are trustworthy and responsive. Send them an email to check. If I was even vaguely able to get set up quickly for 70mm I'd be all over this. It's an almost absurd bargain. Marty

Yes I have bought from Fotoimpex many times. Like the B&H of Germany.

OK I have emailed them. Verifying that it is type II perforated, and asking how many rolls they have in stock.................

Old 05-28-2018   #752
Nokton48

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorbas View Post
A few years ago I bought 100' of 35mm Panatomic X expired in 1968. No idea how was stored? As good as its gets! This 70mm offering is tempting!
Hi Again Goran,

Yes it's tempting. I traded a Guy here on RFF a long roll of fresh Presto 1600, in exchange for a 1990 35mm 100' roll of FPX. I rolled it into eighteen 36 exp rolls, and it's in my deep freeze. TomA gave me some great ideas for handling it. One of my fave films for sure. Amazing tonality.

Would be freakin' awesome to have some of this in 70mm

Old 05-28-2018   #753
gorbas

Hi Dan, TomA and I had habit of sharing exotic emulsions. He got 5 rolls of that 100' roll of Panatomic X. It made him happy as kid in candy store. It's beautiful emulsion, I still have a few left.

Old 05-30-2018   #754
Nokton48

Goran,
I'm just as happy, Panatomic-X was always my favorite. TomA suggested Beutler "Leica" developer to me. It's cheap and very easy to make. Very high acutance. Adox MQ Borax would also be wonderful, I'm sure.

I am inquiring with Photoimpex, I have some questions regarding this 70mm Panatomic-X Aerorecon. As I mentioned I may buy a 700' roll. $2.50 per 12 exposures of 6x6 Panatomic-X is the deal of the century IMO. Panatomic-X on Ebay goes for upwards of $20 per 120 roll (sometimes more), and is sometimes very very old. This stuff is essentially fresh and like new, always frozen since manufacture. Like a time capsule waiting for me to open it

Cal,
look at this:

Old 05-30-2018   #755
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Goran,
I'm just as happy, Panatomic-X was always my favorite. TomA suggested Beutler "Leica" developer to me. It's cheap and very easy to make. Very high acutance. Adox MQ Borax would also be wonderful, I'm sure.

I am inquiring with Photoimpex, I have some questions regarding this 70mm Panatomic-X Aerorecon. As I mentioned I may buy a 700' roll. $2.50 per 12 exposures of 6x6 Panatomic-X is the deal of the century IMO. Panatomic-X on Ebay goes for upwards of $20 per 120 roll (sometimes more), and is sometimes very very old. This stuff is essentially fresh and like new, always frozen since manufacture. Like a time capsule waiting for me to open it

Cal,
look at this:

Dan,

Is this my dream come true? Does it get much better than this?

I have that ADOX PQ formula from that 5222 thread, and I have all the lab equiptment to mix my own developer.

Please keep me in the loop. I will likely load up the truck using the plastic card with the "Magic Numbers."

This film drew my interest, but most is very-very old. This is about as fresh as it gets. This is like having a time machine and going back and getting my favorite film and getting the way under $3.00 a roll equiv.

How crazy-good is this? Divine intervention?

Boy am I excited. Time to go really crazy. I'm so glad... I'm glad... I'm glad... I'm glad.

Cal

Old 05-30-2018   #756
Freakscene
Deregistered user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
Is this my dream come true? Does it get much better than this?

I have that ADOX PQ formula from that 5222 thread, and I have all the lab equiptment to mix my own developer.

Please keep me in the loop. I will likely load up the truck using the plastic card with the "Magic Numbers."

This film drew my interest, but most is very-very old. This is about as fresh as it gets. This is like having a time machine and going back and getting my favorite film and getting the way under $3.00 a roll equiv.

How crazy-good is this? Divine intervention?

Boy am I excited. Time to go really crazy. I'm so glad... I'm glad... I'm glad... I'm glad.
I thought the same thing when I found it Cal, but it might not quite be up to your expectations if you haven't handled film on a 0.1mm base before. But I am sure you can figure it out.

Marty

Old 05-30-2018   #757
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
I thought the same thing when I found it Cal, but it might not quite be up to your expectations if you haven't handled film on a 0.1mm base before. But I am sure you can figure it out.

Marty
Marty,

Would you know how it would compare to Rollie 400S in 120. This film has a thin base and I have worked with it in 120 lengths.

I think I have an advantage because I have two bulk loaders; one can handle Nikor reels; and the other Kinderman reels. These offer a third and fourth hand that hold the spool from the 70mm cassette as well as the 15 foot stainless steel reels.

For the price I will make it work for me.

Cal

Old 05-30-2018   #758
MrFujicaman

Cal, I bought 3-4 hundred feet of surplus aero film back in the late 1970's as it was cheap ($3.95 a roll) . The thing is you have to be careful loading it on the development reels as A) it being so thin, it can cause problems with some SS reels and Patersons. B) if you slip, this stuff will give the worst "paper cut" ever! Trust, me, I found out the hard way several times!

Old 05-30-2018   #759
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFujicaman View Post
Cal, I bought 3-4 hundred feet of surplus aero film back in the late 1970's as it was cheap ($3.95 a roll) . The thing is you have to be careful loading it on the development reels as A) it being so thin, it can cause problems with some SS reels and Patersons. B) if you slip, this stuff will give the worst "paper cut" ever! Trust, me, I found out the hard way several times!
MFM,

Thanks for the heads up.

Loading 15 foot reels sounds like a real challenge.

Cal

Old 05-30-2018   #760
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFujicaman View Post
MFM,

I looked yo the data sheet for Rollie 400S, and the base is 100 um or 0.1 mm, so basically the base thickness between the two films is the same.

I imagine a film cut would hurt like a mo-fo.

I promise to be careful. Loading 400S into 120 and 220 reels did take some extra care. Just had to work slowly.

Cal