Old 05-30-2018   #761
gorbas

I just run my first test of 35mm Maco Eagle AQS (expired on 03/2014) film in Rodinal 1:50. That film is really 50-100ei at most! Very low base fog! Not sure how this emulsion relate to current 70mm Rollei 400, but somebody in Maco was super optimistic.

Old 05-30-2018   #762
Freakscene
Deregistered user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
I looked yo the data sheet for Rollie 400S, and the base is 100 um or 0.1 mm, so basically the base thickness between the two films is the same.

I imagine a film cut would hurt like a mo-fo.

I promise to be careful. Loading 400S into 120 and 220 reels did take some extra care. Just had to work slowly.
The thin Estar used in this material is differently difficult to the thin polyester used for Aviphot.

We will send positive thoughts. Keep any cuts clean until they heal.

Marty

Old 05-31-2018   #763
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakscene View Post
The thin Estar used in this material is differently difficult to the thin polyester used for Aviphot.

Marty
Marty,

Thanks again for the warning and safety hazard.

There seems to be an element of danger present kinda like machining titanium instead of steel.

Cal

Old 06-04-2018   #764
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

If anyone is looking for a JOBO 3035 tank and JOBO 3075 reel PM me and I'll forward you some contact info. This is a hard to locate item.

Also available is an unopened 70mm Porta 160, exp. 2003 and an opened Fuji CDUII bulk roll.

Cal

Old 06-04-2018   #765
Arden3

On the Watson 70 bulk loader, the countdown from 6 to 0 is for each cassette. I've only used the metal core index and only on 100' rolls. When you load in a fresh 100' (and doing the math of 6 x 15ft) you'll notice the indicator is above 6. I usually spool off that 10ft into a cassette and use it as a experimental roll. Then on the next cassette, when it goes from 6 on the indicator to 5, that's another 15 feet loaded in. You can count the turns on the crank too. I don't know how to account for 150' rolls, with a thinner base. Some feel the indicator arm can scratch the film and remove it (plugging the hole). I have 2 of these bulk loaders, one the spring broke on, so I have to manually move it over from time to time to check on the indicator. I guess that could be a way to not scratch the film, move it out of the way for a few dozen cranks, move it back left to check. But I haven't seen any proof that it does/can.

Last edited by Arden3 : 06-04-2018 at 11:47. Reason: typo

Old 06-04-2018   #766
Kai-san
Filmwaster

Thanks Arden3, that's very useful info. I purchased mine with film in it, and the counter was on 6. I have loaded a cassette by counting turns in order to get approx. ten 6x7 frames for testing. And the counter is now slightly below 6. It did not occur to me that it counts the number of cassettes as 6 multiplied by 15 is 90, and the rolls come in 100ft.

Old 06-04-2018   #767
Arden3

Would anyone be willing to share what they are using for developing formulations?

I’ve been doing stand developing on my Kindermann tanks. In part because of the volume of 2 liters (1980ml water, 20 HC110) and because my Kindermann is super leaky when inverted. Plus, it takes a bit to pour in and empty 2 liters of fluid. So, I worry about timing critical development. I do a pre soak at 68 degrees while I cool my dilution then pour it in, invert for thirty seconds. Put the whole tank on ice for 60 minutes. Rinse, fix as usual.

What are you folks doing? Anyone doing C-41 or E6? I guess 2 liters would chemicals would get exhausted pretty fast at a 6 rolls of 120 rate? Anyone extending their color chemicals to get more 15’ color rolls done?

Old 06-05-2018   #768
Nokton48

I've been using ADOX Borax MQ (with replenisher) which I mix myself. I got the idea from TomA, it's a D76 derivative, with slightly decreased suphite. It's great with my Kodak 70mm Surveillance film, which I similar to the old original Tri-X.

Yes it takes over a mnute to drain my 70mm Kindermann. Luckily mine is water tight.

ADOX Borax MQ, Kodak Plus-X Aerographic 2402 (I think!) Hasselblad 500 C/M 60mm Distagon A70 film magazine.

Kodak 70mm Surveillance Test ADOX Borax MQ by Nokton48, on Flickr

Old 06-05-2018   #769
Nokton48

001 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Legacy Mic-X from Freestyle is current go-to. Easy to mix replenisher, if you use it frequently (don't let it oxidize from inactivity) and it will last forever. My last gallon lasted me FIVE YEARS before I had to dump it. And it gets better as it "seasons"

My development times are -extremely long- with this stuff, like thirty-five minutes in stock solution. But that is an advantage when using the 70mm Kindermann. And it is cheap $10 gallon from Freestyle.

Old 06-05-2018   #770
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
I've been using ADOX Borax MQ (with replenisher) which I mix myself. I got the idea from TomA, it's a D76 derivative, with slightly decreased suphite. It's great with my Kodak 70mm Surveillance film, which I similar to the old original Tri-X.

Yes it takes over a mnute to drain my 70mm Kindermann. Luckily mine is water tight.

ADOX Borax MQ, 70mm WL Kodak Surveuillance Film.

Kodak 70mm Surveillance Test ADOX Borax MQ by Nokton48, on Flickr
Dan,

Looks great. My intent was to mix ADOX MQ as a one shot.

My JOBO 3013 can fit three 15 foot reels and I can use a Kodak hard rubber tank with lid as a light safe for the loaded reels. My intent is to pre- fill the JOBO with developer and in darkness drop in the reels as pouring six liters of developer is not practical. This JOBO loaded with three reels and six liters of developer will be a monster tank for inversion, but pretty much will be like developing 18 rolls of 120.

The water stop bath and the fixing can tolerate the long pour times I figure.

Know that I work in a research lab and I have access to HPLC grade chemically pure water (Just H2O) that measures 18 megaohm resistivity. I use this most chemically active water to mix my chemistry and for my stop bath. This water is so pure that it will erode living tissue so it is not safe to drink.

Plan "B" is my Slacker's Brew, meaning Diafine. I have four 3 1/2 gallon Kodak hard rubber dip and dunk tanks. One of these tanks has holes drilled for use as a wash tank, so I need just one more. My testing of Rollie 400S suggests 125 ISO for overcast, and 160 ISO for high contrast sun.

I used 4+4 in an inversion tank for my initial testing using Rollie 400S in 120 as short test rolls, but this time (one extra minute) is for denser negatives for wet printing and also because I only invert twice a minute instead of the recommended three (basically I slightly underdevelope due to lower aggitation). I'm not sure yet of the time and aggitation using dip and dunk, but it seems like doing one reel at a time is like 6 rolls of 120 in a monster inversion tank.

Plan C is Rollie 400S in Rodinal, but initial tests suggest only 80 ISO. I use 50:1 dillution, and I would use the three reel JOBO 3013 as an inversion tank.

The Diafine gets reused and also gets better with use (increased mids) as it gets "seasoned." The ADOX MQ is cheap enough for me to use as a one shot, but there is a replenisher if you want to be mucho cheap. Rodinal, especially muy diluted is a cheap one shot.

BTW I like all these developers and the negatives made. The ADOX in Dan's negatives have a punchy tonality. The Diafine negatives I make are like HDR film with smooth roll off in the highlights, enhanced shadow detail, with a vast midrange of a larger format.

Pretty much the time and aggitation is what I use to dial in the mids because the enhanced shadow detail and the smooth fluffy rolloff in the highlights is what Diafine organically produces. Understand that the highlights kinda are like in stand development because the Part "A" gets exhausted. Diafine provides a profound compensating effect. When in doubt overexpose.

Rodinal 50:1 also has a compensating effect. Rollie 400S is really not a 400 ISO film (they lied) and Rodinal with slow speed films is kinda wonderful. You loose some film speed. Oh-well.

Know that I make negatives that are for wet printing so I like some density.

OFF TOPIC: I just secured a 6x9 Super Rolliex (120) that will fit my baby Linhof's. I also have a 6x7 Super rolliex (120); a 645 CINE for over 120 exposures (70mm); and a 6x7 CINE for 60 exposures (70mm).

This is too cool. With only two lenses I get many different FOV's by changing formats. I can also do sheet film: 2 1/4 X3 1/4 using Graphmatics; and 6.5x9 using Linhof double sided holders.

Cal

Aerial films incl. 70mm documentation
Old 06-05-2018   #771
europanorama

Aerial films incl. 70mm documentation

Quote:
Here is an interesting article on Kodak Aerial Films I found on the internet;

https://www.asprs.org/wp-content/upl...ec_695-699.pdf
i have a large documention-prospectus about Kodak Aerial films. also about the Agfa Aviphots. where no prints i have pdfs.
3DSTEREO-Aeropanoramas
Marspanoramas in 3DSTEREO
under reconstruction

Old 06-05-2018   #772
europanorama

Quote:
If anyone is looking for a JOBO 3035 tank and JOBO 3075 reel PM me and I'll forward you some contact info. This is a hard to locate item.

Also available is an unopened 70mm Porta 160, exp. 2003 and an opened Fuji CDUII bulk roll.

Cal
you mean the 5m-developping-system? i have listed it somewhere else. has a loader. i have it complete, not yet used. it uses 1lt chemistry.
3DSTEREO-Aeropanoramas
under reconstruction

Old 06-05-2018   #773
europanorama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakscene View Post

Marty
PEO is thinnest Avipan 0.06mm i have some. 200S
3DSTEREO-Aeropanoramas
under reconstruction

Old 06-05-2018   #774
europanorama

Quote:
Hmmmmm Not much photo activity over the last three weeks. Goran was nice enough to sell me another Graflex RH50 for $25 including shipping from British Columbia. I got it today and it's another beauty..... I will convert this one also from Graflex XL, to 4x5 Graphmatic. Very simple and easy to do. This will let me shoot two kinds of 6x7cm 70mm simultaneously, in my Plaubel Makiflexes. Which is a good thing for me.

Goran once told me he compared 120 versus 70mm Ilford prices, they were about the same. To me the advantage for 70mm users is the photo firepower.

https://www.ilfordphoto.com/wp/wp-co...cipants-sb.pdf

Also Ilford has started their 2018 ULF Program, the deadline for ordering is May 25 2018. I called my local Ilford Dealer (Midwest Photo) and they quoted me $173.56 for fifty feet of fresh 70mm type II perfed HP5+. This year I will order at least a few. Orders paid up front, no cancellation possible. Delivery in Fall 2018.

Who else here is ordering 70mm Ilford HP5+????

Graflex RH50 70mm Backs by Nokton48, on Flickr

New back (unmodified) on the left, modified back on the right. Very easy to do.
Nothing to be modified, simply removing the XL-frame on the left. i have both. I have an idea for 61.5mm film(cut down 70mm) loading in Kodak-70mm cartridges. prototype was working. Am i right counter can be zeroed on RH-50, so very long rolls can be mounted. Technical Pan was available in 6.1m length. i could load 6,5m of Vericolor HC. with PEO 0.06mm even much more can be loaded. Holgamods promised 3Dprinting it cheaply. If anyone in the USA could send Randy Smith two Kodak 70mm-cartridges and some cut 70mm-film. is there a tool to wind film spools manually in 70mm cartridges? i promised him Linhof container but i cannot give mine and hard to get. maybe he is allowed to reprint.
3DSTEREO-Aeropanoramas
under reconstruction

Old 06-05-2018   #775
europanorama

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjlapier View Post
Nice!

I need to find another way to use reels and a tank. The Patterson reels seize up when I load the film ( something to do with the bearing I'm sure )--again, I wonder how 220 can be loaded in these reels. Maybe I'll have to buy a Nikor reel and tank and learn how to load SS reels. I ruined a few photos since the film wasn't loaded properly on the Patterson reel.

BTW, awesome to acquire the Trix400 in 70mm. I'm about to buy two more spools of the Rollei 400 and stop there for a while--lol.

Stupidly, I looked at a Hasselblad again. While I can carry my RB67 around just fine I'm wondering about a smaller lighter solution. I thought about the Mamiya Universal with the Graflok back adapter for the Mamiya 70mm back. I have the Universal and the back fits but it's hard to see the viewfinder with that big back sticking out. I'll probably stick with the RB for a while--the glass is so good.

Even more stupidly, I've been looking at Linhofs!

Anyway, I'm having fun and to me that's what it's all about.
you must rinse the reels with dishwashing fluid. a lot of discussions about this patterson-problem online.
3DSTEREO-Aeropanoramas
under reconstruction

Old 06-05-2018   #776
europanorama

Quote:
Spools Beatty Coleman Transet #2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

These are the spools out of Transet 70mm Back #2. The original Beatty one is marked "ANSCO, BINGHAMTON, NEW YORK, MADE IN USA". The yellow one is a generic 70mm plastic inner 70mm film core, which will work as a takeup spool ok. It has a slot and the film can be taped to it in the dark.

My plan with this is to shoot 20 exposures and then unload it in the dark onto a 220 JOBO reel for Mutitank 6 rotary development.
I have a lot of specifications also for 70mm-spools- from ilford and kodak. pls specifiy data of these Transet-spools. I have the Longroll 4x5-70mm back from Korona where only the rigth spools are matching. i dont trust this approx. 6x9-back regarding flatness. 240 images depending thickness.
3DSTEREO-Aeropanoramas
under reconstruction

Old 06-05-2018   #777
europanorama

Quote:
Sounds and looks like you are getting there! Excellent news.
I was surprised how quickly the 70mm Rollei 400s arrived from Germany.

Nikor made a film loading machine, too. See here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikor-Film-...53.m1438.l2649
Linhof also a darkroom-loader for 126 and 70mm films. I have one. someone sold multiple ones very cheaply. it seems a speculator bought all of them- maybe 10 or 6 were left. at least 10 years ago in germany.
one would only need it for 70mm when longer than 100feet/30,5m are involved. otherwise the Alden 70mm loader is the way to go.
3DSTEREO-Aeropanoramas
under reconstruction

Old 06-05-2018   #778
europanorama

Quote:
I bought this pack of 70mm Sleeves from B&H seven or eight years ago. Must have been new old stock.

vueall neg pages by Nokton48, on Flickr

Vue All 70mm neg sleeves in a thousand foot roll.

Vue All 70mm Sleeves 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Vue All 70mm Sleeves 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr
I have these. the producer had huge problem with taping it. for long roundshot-panoramas best way is cutting one side for easy access. i was using a weight to let the long film slipping in... big pain gone when one side is open. seitz told not rolling panoramic films....not feasable for me.
3DSTEREO-Aeropanoramas
under reconstruction

Old 06-05-2018   #779
europanorama

Quote:
The Graflex back was modified with a NPC Polaroid mount for the RB67. I didn't know what I bought until I read about folks using Graflex backs on the RB67. I bought the back for the cassette inside and maybe shooting 70mm in a Graflex camera. I didn't even pay attention to the mount. A little research and I finally realized it was a modified job and the mount was from a NPC Polaroid back. Aside from the leatherette peeling off it's in great shape and like you said it can pull unperforated ( and perforated ) film through it. I'll finish the roll tomorrow and see how well the modification worked.

I think what I might start doing is fill a cassette with film and use the counter to count off 12 shots at a time.

Thanks for the heads up on the roll of protective sleeve.
The 70mm back for the rolleiflex 6xxx is a Mamyia RB 67/70-conversion. very hard if ever to get.
3DSTEREO-Aeropanoramas
under reconstruction

Old 06-05-2018   #780
europanorama

Quote:
DSC05910 by Nokton48, on Flickr

My Graflex Rapid Vance 70mm film holder arrived today. It took about an hour or so to convert from Graflex XL, to 4x5 Grafloc mount, and to clean it up and restore it, including new foam inside, which disintegrated into powder when I touched it. So this would fit a 4x5 Speeder or anything that takes a 4x5 Grafloc back.
where to get that foam? on one its gone. i have both versions. if with
XL-frame just remove it to get 4x5, am i right?
3DSTEREO-Aeropanoramas
under reconstruction

Old 06-05-2018   #781
europanorama

Quote:
Michael,

I'm Nokton48, not Nokton24. And I am NOT Trevor Allin, he is over at the Kiev forum. Over on the Kiev forum I am HASSYDAN.

That 3D design is not mine. As mentioned above ^^, you can use an old Efke 25 35mm film can bottom, and cut the bottom part off of it. It will tightly hold the JOBO 2502 reel column together. Them simply carefully glue it together. I have no need for anything from Holgamod.

SEE the Efke 25 film can holding the reel together? No cost at all!

70mm 2502 Jobo Reel by Nokton48, on Flickr

Jobo 2502 70mm Reel Modification by Nokton48, on Flickr
Can you pls explain what and how you had stick together the left/bottom end of the reels?
3DSTEREO-Aeropanoramas
under reconstruction

Old 06-05-2018   #782
europanorama

Quote:
70mm tri-x unperfed by Nokton48, on Flickr

Unperfed Tri-x 70mm, this was in date when I put it in the freezer. This will go in my Graflex RH50, or my Beatty Coleman 70mm Transet back.
Or when modified with the "rubber wheel" it will go in my Hasselblad A70s.

I'm going to load 20 6x7cm exposures in my Graflex RH50 to get started. This way I can process that roll on a JOBO reel, along with a load of 35mm Eastman XX 5222.
i could load 172cm of 70mm film in official Jobo 2517 reel. in 220-jobo 175cm, am i right? I used testtank 2820(for max 10 x20cm prints. Jobo 2500-special 70mm reelcombo will work, is watertight. didnt develop with the solution 2500.
3DSTEREO-Aeropanoramas
under reconstruction

Old 06-05-2018   #783
europanorama

Quote:
I just secured/won on EBAY the 70mm bulk loader that is depicted in the Linhof literature. This loader best seves me because I own two Nikor 15 foot reels and this loader will allow helping me spool film on a development reel as well as spool cassettes.

I am so pleased that Kodak hard rubber tanks will be modular for 8x10 and my Nikor rack of 135/120/220 reels, as well as my three 70mm fifteen footers.

Cal
its a kindermann. must check if its equivalent to the one Linhof has made. but have no access to the litterature a the moment. maybe i will find the bulkloader, made for both 126 and 70mm.
3DSTEREO-Aeropanoramas
under reconstruction

Old 06-06-2018   #784
europanorama

Quote:
Hi There Kai-San,

The NDT reels are rather large, I just measured across one of them. They are 6 3/8" in diameter, and 3 1/4" in height. You will need a really large print drum to hold it. But it is doable.

Here is a 70mm NDT reel, on the left is a SS 120 reel for comparison, and on the right, a JOBO 120/220 reel.

NDT Reel vs 120 reel size comparison by Nokton48, on Flickr

It's also possible to make something out of stainless steel. See photo above left:

OMG OMG OMG!!! Look what Dad got me as a gift!!!! Nikor 70mm developing tank!!! These things are IMPOSSIBLE to find!!! #70mm #ilovefim #ishootfilm #mediumformat #nikor #film #family #dad #developing #winning #work #chemistry #116 #616 #yes by Stone, on Flickr

Europanorama (Micheal) made this 70mm daylight tank by cutting down a 20x24 Chromega Print drum. He says he has used it for years and it works great. As I recall I think he uses this with a JOBO 70mm reel. Now THOSE are really hard to find.

Homemade 70mm tank by Nokton48, on Flickr

Also JOBO makes the #3063 20x24 print drum and that can be cut down, and should also work. An inversion cap is available for that one.
I-europanorama-not EUROPANORAMA.. didnt make any tank.....but there are messages outside this forum of others having done.
3DSTEREO-Aeropanoramas
under reconstruction

Old 06-06-2018   #785
europanorama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai-san View Post
Jobo has a foot pump for this purpose, but it probably costs more than 7 dollars.
Talking about pumps, I've seen that the Mamiya back can be supplied with a suction bulb to create a vacuum inside, does anybody know the purpose of this? Contax made some cameras with vacuum backs to keep the film flat, but I do not know if this is the case here.
Contax did make ONE camera with vaccum. RTS III. i had one and killed it during first filmloading. had to be repaired. never pull film out of the III!gear will be damaged. SOLD it. but will buy again one day. has built-in flashmeter also as only SRL.
3DSTEREO-Aeropanoramas
under reconstruction

Old 06-06-2018   #786
europanorama

Quote:
It sucks the film down really flat. I would get one if I were you. When doing aerial photography I think the film gets drawn outwards when you put the camera out the plane window. The pump helps with that.

Europanorama knows about this one
This is the problem with Hasselblad A12, maybe other 120/220-backs:
When film is loaded on the ground, darkslide-slit must be covered with tape, otherwise terrible unsharp zones. Wheather conditions were normal. and not very high during shooting from a winged-airplane. good i didnt mess another shooting where window couldnt be opened enough. i used 35mm Contax then and also not Mamiya Press. slit was simply too narrow.
I only was informed about that by Hasselblad Goeteborg AFTER i sold my HB ELX-60mm-kit in favor of a Contax RTS III-body.
would do the same with 70mm-back A70-taping darkslide-slit. dont have body yet again.
3DSTEREO-Aeropanoramas
under reconstruction

Old 06-06-2018   #787
europanorama

Quote:
Heads up! JOBO 70mm tank on Ebay Germany.
Not affiliated with the seller

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JOBO-Filmen...53.m1438.l2649

JOBO 70mm Tank & Reel 5 by Nokton48, on Flickr
Not complete, loader id lacking. see my other older message listing the parts with partsnumbers. have no access at the moment to the sheet. will scan one day.
3DSTEREO-Aeropanoramas
under reconstruction

Old 06-06-2018   #788
Freakscene
Deregistered user

Quote:
Originally Posted by europanorama View Post
Contax did make ONE camera with vaccum. RTS III. i had one and killed it during first filmloading. had to be repaired. never pull film out of the III!gear will be damaged. SOLD it. but will buy again one day. has built-in flashmeter also as only SRL.
The Contax 645 also has vacuum backs (but no 70mm back). My RTSIII still works. Amazing viewfinder apart from the blue LED readout which is hard to see in bright light. I tested it but never found the vacuum back made any difference in that 135 camera, but it really helped with 220 film in the 645.

Marty

Old 06-06-2018   #789
europanorama

Quote:
Wjlapier,

I chose glassine pages, I used to use Hasselblad and Paterson Glassine pages so I thought I would try these. You could also choose vinyl, like the VueAll and Printfile 70mm pages. Acetate also available, those are for transparencies, really.

These are oversize 120 pages; the overall page dimension is 10 1/4" x 12 3/16".
The 70mm film fits with plenty of room to spare; the individual strip openings are 2 14/16" x 9 7/16". I can fit three of four 6x6cm strips in these pages. These pages are big enough to accommodate 6x7cm, and even 6x9cm, I believe.

Glad I found these with Jakes help.
i am using acetate sleeves for my 6x12 -widelux 1500 negatives. they will stay inside for contact-printing. only must take care with cutting where and how much. will show one day.
3DSTEREO-Aeropanoramas
under reconstruction

Old 06-06-2018   #790
europanorama

Quote:
Nice!

I need to find another way to use reels and a tank. The Patterson reels seize up when I load the film ( something to do with the bearing I'm sure )--again, I wonder how 220 can be loaded in these reels. Maybe I'll have to buy a Nikor reel and tank and learn how to load SS reels. I ruined a few photos since the film wasn't loaded properly on the Patterson reel.

BTW, awesome to acquire the Trix400 in 70mm. I'm about to buy two more spools of the Rollei 400 and stop there for a while--lol.

Stupidly, I looked at a Hasselblad again. While I can carry my RB67 around just fine I'm wondering about a smaller lighter solution. I thought about the Mamiya Universal with the Graflok back adapter for the Mamiya 70mm back. I have the Universal and the back fits but it's hard to see the viewfinder with that big back sticking out. I'll probably stick with the RB for a while--the glass is so good.

Even more stupidly, I've been looking at Linhofs!

Anyway, I'm having fun and to me that's what it's all about.
there is a special loupe for 70mm-back-use if i dont err for the press. must dig out my prospectus, now not accessible.
3DSTEREO-Aeropanoramas
under reconstruction

Old 06-06-2018   #791
europanorama

Quote:
Michael (Europanorama) made this 70mm reel from a 120 SS reel and a wooden dowel. Or is it a 220 reel? I guess it would work with either.

70mm Film Reel Adaption by Nokton48, on Flickr
Why do you mention me? Never did anything special.
3DSTEREO-Aeropanoramas
under reconstruction

Old 06-06-2018   #792
europanorama

Quote:
If you guys don't mind, could you share your workflow from exposed film to your scan? Do you have a darkroom or do you use a bag like me?

Myself, I take the exposed film and do all the transfer from spool to reels in a changing bag. Same bag for years. I use Patterson reels--there is a photo somewhere in this thread that shows two different ways to use the Patterson reels. I use this one:

The way I have the reels set up it's almost using the whole reel tube so I use ~700ml of chems. So far, I'm pretty happy with this workflow.

I'm looking to get a slitter or make my own to cut down some of my Portra 400 to 120.

Scans are done on a Epson V500 using a modded 35mm film holder--that was a great mod idea from Dan I believe. Vuescan to finish the scan and PS to resize and sharpen as needed.
get the slitter from Fred at xkaes at aol dot com. mentioned 1 mio times everywhere. made in china world exclusive by Fred. cheap. google. any size can be made. e.g. i have two versions for perforated 70mm. one is cutting on both sides centered, leading to cut perforations, not good for machines. one is one side-cutting leaving one perforation-side untouched.
Holgamods Randy was thinking about a slitter-system. we only must convince him to start with 70mm. he had 61.5mm in mind. a core to spool-system would be worthwhile then.
3DSTEREO-Aeropanoramas
under reconstruction

Old 06-06-2018   #793
europanorama

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorbas View Post
Hi Guys, finally I had some free time to try Maco Ort25c slitted from 70mm to 120. I exposed it in Rolleiflex 3.5F at 12iso and processed in Rodinal 1:100 at 20C, 8min with 2 tank rotation per minute. My first test was at 10min and it was too much. Next one will be more like 7min. I used incident light measurement. Scanned with Nikon 8000. Absolutely minimal corrections in LR.
There are many speculations of origin of this film on Internet, like: EFKE R14, FilmoTec aka ORWO NP-15 or Agfa Gevaert. But who knows? Prewash water was deep blue/purple similar to old ORWO NP15 if i remember correctly. Glossy side of negative is more eggshell shine and film is curly and springy.
So far I'm happy with this results. Less development and maybe 10iso will do magic. Interestingly it render blue skies quite well, way better than I expected from ORTHO emulsion.
Dan told me that is still availabile in 70mm unperforated version directly from Maco. Also it's nice to be rolled to 616 or 116 format if you have backing paper and rolls.
Link to the pictures is:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/?
last ortho i used was from Agfa. decades ago.
3DSTEREO-Aeropanoramas
under reconstruction

Old 06-06-2018   #794
europanorama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai-san View Post
I have been shopping around for a few 70mm accessories lately, it takes a bit of patience to find these things. First I came across 14 Kodak 70mm film cassettes for 105 Euros, that's 7,5 Euros a piece. I've been paying more than the double for those earlier.
And then a Watson 70mm bulk film loader turned up on ebay. That one did cost quite a bit more, but I managed to secure it. It's got film in it, the label on the outside says Ektachrome 200 Professional. The seller did not know what was in it, so I will cut off a bit and develop it in Rodinal 1:100. But if it's slide film I suppose I will get nothing?
I have tried to find a user manual for the Watson, but no luck so far. There are two counters, one says 'wooden core', the other is named 'metal core'. I assume one is for the bulk roll and the other for the cassette? Both counters go from 0 to 6, a bit confusing. I'd be happy if anyone here could help me out.
pls show then i can compare with my Alden. depending the core one must use the tube. i have only a metallic one.but cannot tell by heart. its easy finding out. when the spool is wobbling there is action needed...
3DSTEREO-Aeropanoramas
under reconstruction

Old 06-06-2018   #795
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
you mean the 5m-developping-system? i have listed it somewhere else. has a loader. i have it complete, not yet used. it uses 1lt chemistry.
Michael,

A RFF'er PM'ed me. I have some links that show the item.

If I didn't have my JOBO 3013 and three 15 foot reels I would buy it. The JOBO's don't seem to leak.

I would still pre-fill and use a light safe for the loaded reel. Two liters is a long pour time.

Cal

Old 06-06-2018   #796
Nokton48

Quote:
where to get that foam? on one its gone. i have both versions. if with
XL-frame just remove it to get 4x5, am i right?
Micheal,

Ebay has the adhesive foam, used to position the cassettes. Get the right thickness of foam. To change the back from Graflex XL to 4x5 Graphmatic, simply remove the four XL frame screws, remove/clean off the light seal/gasket, and paint (touch up) with black Spray Krylon (with a small brush). Very very easy to do.

-Dan (Hassydan)

Graflex 70mm Interior Foam Restoration by Nokton48, on Flickr

Graflex 70mm Back Interior Foam Restoration. Everybody should have one or two of these. Runs unperfed 70mm!

Old 06-06-2018   #797
Nokton48

Quote:
Why do you mention me? Never did anything special.
Because you are clever!

Somebody with long metal tanks who shoots 70mm might want to make one of these

Old 06-06-2018   #798
Nokton48

Quote:
get the slitter from Fred at xkaes at aol dot com. mentioned 1 mio times everywhere. made in china world exclusive by Fred. cheap. google. any size can be made. e.g. i have two versions for perforated 70mm. one is cutting on both sides centered, leading to cut perforations, not good for machines. one is one side-cutting leaving one perforation-side untouched.
Holgamods Randy was thinking about a slitter-system. we only must convince him to start with 70mm. he had 61.5mm in mind. a core to spool-system would be worthwhile then.

Fred sells these on Ebay. I have one that cuts 35mm down to 16mm Minolta. Didn't know he made 70mm models; Maybe I should get one.

I have 120 rolls that are slitted-down 70mm Kodak High Speed Infared, and also 70mm Kodak Plus-X Aerographic 2402. Two beautiful films.

Old 06-06-2018   #799
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorbas View Post
I just run my first test of 35mm Maco Eagle AQS (expired on 03/2014) film in Rodinal 1:50. That film is really 50-100ei at most! Very low base fog! Not sure how this emulsion relate to current 70mm Rollei 400, but somebody in Maco was super optimistic.
I'd expect the effective speed to be a little lower with Rodinal, but not that much slower! But I think I would try it in DDX or TMax and see if that doesn't pep it up a bit!

Old 06-07-2018   #800
wjlapier

Quote:
Fred sells these on Ebay. I have one that cuts 35mm down to 16mm Minolta. Didn't know he made 70mm models; Maybe I should get one.

I have 120 rolls that are slitted-down 70mm Kodak High Speed Infared, and also 70mm Kodak Plus-X Aerographic 2402. Two beautiful films.
I have the 70mm>120 slitter with the two blades. Prelim test the cutting is easy. I don't have a darkroom so we'll see how it goes in the changing bag. I have plenty of 120 paper just need to get started on rolling some.