Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Sony Alpha / NEX Mirrorless > Sony E Lenses / Adapted Lenses / Adapters / Images

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Prewar Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 50mm 1.5 - better coated alternatives?
Old 12-09-2018   #1
PeterP

Question Prewar Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 50mm 1.5 - better coated alternatives?

Hi folks,

I have a beautiful Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm 1.5 lens for Contax RF (non "T") that I use on a Sony A7 II. I love the lens, I love the way it renders, It's a very nice copy.

However, the one thing that makes me worry about this lens is flare. As this is an uncoated lens, it flares a lot. Not only classical sun flares, but practically every shot wide open has some nasty blueish flare across the frame.

There are coated variants of this Sonnar lens: the later coated war and post-war Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar "T" and the Zeiss Opton Sonnar "T". In theory, because of the cemented triplets in the CZJ Sonnar, there shouldn't be much of a difference with coatings.

Does anybody of you have a coated copy of this lens and could make a comparison with an uncoated copy?

Are there similar lenses that cope better with flare that you can recommend?

Thanks!