What do you think of Kodak Color Plus?
Old 03-20-2019   #1
kxl
Social Documentary

What do you think of Kodak Color Plus?

Do you like that 1980’s look? What are your thoughts compared to Kodak Gold? I’ve shot Gold but have only seen online images taken with Color Plus — seems like a nice ‘complementary’ film.

Your thoughts?

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence.” ― Sebastiao Salgado

Old 03-20-2019   #2
brbo

Muddy colours, not a fan.

Old 03-20-2019   #3
mpaniagua

I like it for certain scenes. It really has a "Vintage" color, so to speak. Like it for my family portraits and stuff. Not for landscape though.

Some of my examples:

All of them
Color Plus 200
Olympys OM4 50 f/1.4

Regards

Marcelo

Old 03-20-2019   #4
mpaniagua

Also, it is quite cheap

Old 03-20-2019   #5
kxl
Social Documentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaniagua View Post
Also, it is quite cheap
That’s a plus in my book

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence.” ― Sebastiao Salgado

Old 03-20-2019   #6
charjohncarter

I use a lot of Kodak Gold 100, and I would say the colors are like Portra 160 NC. Not as good as Portra just somewhat like it. They certainly are not vibrant like Portra VC or Ektar 100. Kodak Gold 100 is normal/neutral color with good skin tones.

I've used Kodak Color Plus but I don't remember it well.

Kodak Gold 100 by John Carter, on Flickr

Kodak Gold 100 by John Carter, on Flickr

Old 03-20-2019   #7
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

I like all Kodak last more less affordable C-41 films. Plus, Gold and Ultramax.
They give film look. For something perfect in color I have digital cameras for sometime now .

Old 03-20-2019   #8
skucera

Twenty years ago I worked with a color scientist who had been one of Kodak's principal color scientists. He worked on Color Plus and Gold films, and worked on the committees that settled on the color balance for these films. He described it as "the typical Kodak look" with warm colors for skin colors and a "natural" color balance. That started a whole conversation about regional preferences for color rendition, such as Europeans preferring paler, cooler skin tones; Japanese preferred fuller skin tones for their slightly darker skin, and richer colors. All this rang a bell in my experience. It was a little three minute conversation in the lunch room that really resonated.

In 1997-1998, I borrowed a Kodak DC-120, only the second digital camera I'd used. (First was an Apple QuickTake 100, which was a fun toy in comparison to the Kodak.) Even though Ed didn't work on that camera, it too had the typical "Kodak" color rendition character, just like their color films.

I just wish that Kodak could bring back Kodachrome.... I know, everyone says that, but Kodak Alaris is probably the only company on earth who has the chemicals on file. I can hope, though....

Scott
1969 Canon New Canonet QL17-L
1976 Konica Autoreflex T3n
1977 Canon 110ED 20
1979 Minox 35 GL
1979 Olympus XA
1980 Pentax Auto 110
1987 Polaroid Spectra
1996 Canon EOS Elan IIe

Old 03-20-2019   #9
bayernfan

is color plus 200 in stock at any major retailer? i've been looking for some...

Old 03-20-2019   #10
kxl
Social Documentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by skucera View Post
Twenty years ago I worked with a color scientist who had been one of Kodak's principal color scientists. He worked on Color Plus and Gold films, and worked on the committees that settled on the color balance for these films. He described it as "the typical Kodak look" with warm colors for skin colors and a "natural" color balance. That started a whole conversation about regional preferences for color rendition, such as Europeans preferring paler, cooler skin tones; Japanese preferred fuller skin tones for their slightly darker skin, and richer colors. All this rang a bell in my experience. It was a little three minute conversation in the lunch room that really resonated.

In 1997-1998, I borrowed a Kodak DC-120, only the second digital camera I'd used. (First was an Apple QuickTake 100, which was a fun toy in comparison to the Kodak.) Even though Ed didn't work on that camera, it too had the typical "Kodak" color rendition character, just like their color films.

I just wish that Kodak could bring back Kodachrome.... I know, everyone says that, but Kodak Alaris is probably the only company on earth who has the chemicals on file. I can hope, though....

Scott
Thanks for sharing - fascinating story. I do like Kodak colors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayernfan View Post
is color plus 200 in stock at any major retailer? i've been looking for some...
Amazon (US) has it. And so does Adorama. Also, Freestyle just started carrying it.

https://www.freestylephoto.biz/search?q=color+plus

Old 03-20-2019   #11
telenous

Colorplus is everywhere here, so I buy it from time to time but not if I can avoid it, as I find both Fujicolor 200 (which is also cheaper) and Kodak Gold 200 better. Colorplus has a 70's look about it, dating it before Gold 200, itself film technology behind the various Portras and Ektar. I can see, however, how it may be used in a "special effects" way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charjohncarter View Post
I use a lot of Kodak Gold 100, and I would say the colors are like Portra 160 NC. Not as good as Portra just somewhat like it. They certainly are not vibrant like Portra VC or Ektar 100. Kodak Gold 100 is normal/neutral color with good skin tones.
Is Gold 100 still around? Where can you find it? I tried it for a bit before it vanished locally and thought it was even nicer than Gold 200. For my taste, it compared well with Ektar 100 too, altough Gold 100 was quite cheaper.

flickr
instagram

Old 03-20-2019   #12
zuiko85

From what I can tell the price difference between Gold 200 and Color Plus is miniscule at best. B&H doesn't carry it at all and amazon and wallymart prices for it are close (or higher) than you would pay for Gold 200. Cheapest price for Color Plus seems to be Walmart ordering for 10 , 24 exp. rolls at $3.13 a roll. B&H has 3 packs of gold 200, 24 exp. at $8.39 or $2.80 a roll.

So what's the big deal.

Old 03-21-2019   #13
Ste_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuiko85 View Post
From what I can tell the price difference between Gold 200 and Color Plus is miniscule at best. B&H doesn't carry it at all and amazon and wallymart prices for it are close (or higher) than you would pay for Gold 200. Cheapest price for Color Plus seems to be Walmart ordering for 10 , 24 exp. rolls at $3.13 a roll. B&H has 3 packs of gold 200, 24 exp. at $8.39 or $2.80 a roll.

So what's the big deal.
Indeed, I'd rather shoot Gold for not much more money.
Mostly though it's Ultramax 400, Superia 400 or Lomo 800 in the low light UK for me at the moment.

Old 03-21-2019   #14
charjohncarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by telenous View Post
Is Gold 100 still around? Where can you find it? I tried it for a bit before it vanished locally and thought it was even nicer than Gold 200. For my taste, it compared well with Ektar 100 too, altough Gold 100 was quite cheaper.
I don't think it is around anymore. The last time I bought a brick I had to get 200. Like you I like 100 better.

Old 03-21-2019   #15
mpaniagua

Not sure if it is expired film or not but:

http://www.ultrafineonline.com/koga100coprf.html

To be hones never tried Gold 100 much. Usually went for kodak pro image 100 back on the days. It has a color palette similar to Color Plus.

Regards

Marcelo

Old 03-21-2019   #16
mconnealy

I like Color Plus 200. I've been using it for a while since Fuji 200 is no longer available locally. I process in Unicolor C-41.

Morning at the Museum by Mike Connealy, on Flickr

Trinity's Shadow by Mike Connealy, on Flickr

mask by Mike Connealy, on Flickr

the hat by Mike Connealy, on Flickr

Old 03-21-2019   #17
kxl
Social Documentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by mconnealy View Post
I like Color Plus 200. I've been using it for a while since Fuji 200 is no longer available locally. I process in Unicolor C-41.

Morning at the Museum by Mike Connealy, on Flickr

Trinity's Shadow by Mike Connealy, on Flickr

mask by Mike Connealy, on Flickr

the hat by Mike Connealy, on Flickr
I especially like that last image (“the hat”).

Old 03-21-2019   #18
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

Good when sunny.

flickr(abandoned)

About Film Cameras

Old 03-21-2019   #19
BlackXList

I don't get along with it at all unless I way overexpose it.

Muddy, too grainy for a 200iso film, and just everything comes back disappointing.

I've enjoyed some expired (only a year or so) at 50, but unless I really overexpose like that, it's a no from me.

Generally like Gold a lot, if that's not available and I'm looking for super cheap stock I'll take the Fuji C200 over ColorPlus every time