Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Old 02-12-2019   #81
John Lawrence

I've always been a big supporter of Flickr, but I'm currently finding it very difficult to use because of the problems (as mentioned above).

Weren't they also supposed to get rid of the Yahoo login?

John

flickr view count lack of clarity and inconsistencies
Old 02-12-2019   #82
kuuan
loves old lenses

flickr view count lack of clarity and inconsistencies

as a paying "Pro" flickr user I have access to statistics. I admit that I do check out how many views my stream or new photos are or have been receiving regularly and I rather like it if the numbers are high

However a few years ago the way views are counted must have changed. Suddenly they had jumped to, I would guess, 3 or 4 times of that earlier. After a short while it must have been changed again to remain, again just a guess from numbers observed, to about double of what it used to be originally. Originally I had presumed that view count simply means how many times a photo is clicked on, gets chosen to be viewed. After these changes I don't know what flickr actually is counting and I believe flickr does not explain that anywhere neither. Or does it??

Another inconsistency, as seen in the screenshots below, is that in the "stats" the number of views of a newly uploaded photo of "today" is double the number of views is says it has received "all time". .. Hm..confusing.. ( opening this single photo the number coincides with the number of views it says has received "all time" )

flickr viewcount inconsistencies by andreas, on Flickr

Old 02-12-2019   #83
Taipei-metro

hi Kuuan

i am with a pro account for 9 yrs, i found the view count is not instantaneous, all time view could be views before today, could be 'we'll show you the updated count when the time comes', you Don't know

every time they got slow, they're doing something 'fishy' behind the scene, change lay-out or add the fees, i used to pay $4.75/3 mon, didn't respond to anything, now they're charging $49.95 automatically on my Visa, me just too lazy to check out other options...

i saw a documentary(PBS, US) about the designers of fighter jets do not know how to pilot a war plane...

this one was invited to 'explorer' few days ago, w 5,626 view and 46 fav...and i'm not that sure, not my 'better ones'...

Los Angeles County, feb 2019

a taipei-metro photo

Old 02-12-2019   #84
kuuan
loves old lenses

Hi Taipei-metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipei-metro View Post
hi Kuuan

i am with a pro account for 9 yrs, i found the view count is not instantaneous, all time view could be views before today, could be 'we'll show you the updated count when the time comes', you Don't know
right. But sure doesn't make sense that the viewcount of "today" is double of that of "all time", specially since it's during the same day it got uploaded to flickr ( my sample shown above only shows 1 photo. If I upload 10 photos at once it will be the same for all: number of today's views is double of that of the "all time views"

Quote:
every time they got slow, they're doing something 'fishy' behind the scene, change lay-out or add the fees, i used to pay $4.75/3 mon, didn't respond to anything, now they're charging $49.95 automatically on my Visa, me just too lazy to check out other options...
oops, have been a paying member since before there was the option of a free account and yearly rates had been paid automatically. I have no idea what they have been charging me, must check that!

Quote:
i saw a documentary(PBS, US) about the designers of fighter jets do not know how to pilot a war plane...
tssss...at least some camera makers don't do the same, though sometimes I wonder

Quote:
this one was invited to 'explorer' few days ago, w 5,626 view and 46 fav...and i'm not that sure, not my 'better ones'...
Los Angeles County, feb 2019
a taipei-metro photo
hm..right. it's not one of your better or great ones. But then who knows, may well be that still many people really do like it ..

Old 04-12-2019   #85
olifaunt

OK, so Flickr has just been going from bad to worse lately.

This is all of fast internet connections: I can't catch up with people I follow because images don't load. Paging thru on a mobile device has been practically impossible for a long time now. You get the first few and then just black images... On a browser, the "load more" button more often than not does nothing. You have to refresh the whole page and then laboriously page down from the start and try to find where you were again.

I have come to post less because there are less views and less feedback. I've noticed less posts overall from people I follow, so it seems like many of us are getting the same message from this.

Old 05-06-2019   #86
olifaunt

So my feed is gone: "It doesn't look like you follow anyone with photos."

Anyone else have this? I follow more than 1000 people!!!!!!

Old 05-06-2019   #87
Russell W. Barnes

I had this for the last two days but it seems to have sorted itself out now (as from about 18:00 UK time).

Old 05-06-2019   #88
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Definitely had issues with it the last two days ... couldn't access my photo stream this morning at all. If I see that bad panda one more time today I'll shoot and skin it! lol

Old 05-06-2019   #89
peterm1

My access to Flickr has been very poor the last few days too. Pages not loading or only partially loading for the most part. And if I did succeed in opening an image that took forever too then the little link symbols to copy the URL link for bulletin boards was not showing up so I could not post an images to RFF which was extraordinarily frustrating. But as of late yesterday it seems to have improved.

While on the subject of sites not performing well, I have also had some issues with RFF. Mostly when uploading a post to a thread - the thing sits and thinks, and thinks, and thinks, and thinks telling me it is uploading. Eventually it does load mostly but it takes an eternity. I have however lost a couple of posts which never loaded successfully.

Old 05-06-2019   #90
Erik van Straten

Not only the past days; a few months here. There now is an obvious difference in sharpness between "portrait" and "landscape" pictures. The "portrait" pictures are totally unsharp. I don't know how they do it, but they get it done.

Erik.

Old 05-06-2019   #91
Ste_S

I'm not sure what SmugMug's plan is for Flickr, but at the moment they seem to want to drive their user base away via price increases and software/network issues.
It's not a good sign when they should be doing their best to attract new users.

Old 05-07-2019   #92
robert blu
quiet photographer

No problem here, crossing fingers.

But I only have a little more than 100 photos and 50/60 followers/followings.
Could the problems you are experiencing be related to the number of photos ? Just curious.

robert

https://www.flickr.com/people/[email protected]/

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 05-07-2019   #93
Out to Lunch

Perhaps regional hick-ups? Flickr works perfectly fine in Vietnam.
Quote:
Weren't they also supposed to get rid of the Yahoo login?
Flickr contacted me a while back asking me to confirm my login preferences and so I suppose that has been taken taken care off.

Old 05-07-2019   #94
Highway 61
Revisited

Free account since in 2012 with now 1,000 photos (shot 1980-2018) sorted by albums and folders, all scanned negatives, all uploaded as 800x600 (for 135) or 800x800 (for MF) Jpegs weighting just under 300KB.

I don't need the PRO account. I can live with the terrible feeling that the huge masses of worldwide anonymous strangers can't admire my artistic work. The pills the doctor gave me work great.

No changes noticed, no "sharpness" problem detected so far.

Password changed as per flickr requested me to do so once upon a login last week, so I now log in without Yahoo.

Old 05-07-2019   #95
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Could the problems you are experiencing be related to the number of photos ? Just curious.
I don't think so, since I have many more pics than that on Flickr. I am a 'Pro' i.e. paying member but I don't know if that has any effect on Flickr's performance. Cheers, Peter

Old 05-07-2019   #96
olifaunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste_S View Post
I'm not sure what SmugMug's plan is for Flickr, but at the moment they seem to want to drive their user base away via price increases and software/network issues.
Maybe one of those "buy the competition then kill it" business practices.

Old 05-07-2019   #97
olifaunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert blu View Post
No problem here, crossing fingers.

But I only have a little more than 100 photos and 50/60 followers/followings.
No, I have under 100 photos. I just use it as a portfolio of my best stuff.

Old 05-07-2019   #98
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

The page won't even open this morning ... they really need to get their act together!

Old 05-07-2019   #99
peterm1

This morning (08 May Australia) it is once again running like crap.

Old 05-07-2019   #100
Bingley

I have a pro account and have noticed in recent days substantial delays in loading my photostream.

FS: Zeiss-ZM Planar 50 plus hood, Pentax MX, Voigtlander Ultron 40/2.0 SLII in Pentax K-mount, Takumar 100/2.8 and 35/3.5 lenses: See my ads in Classifieds

M3, M2, R2A, IIIc, IVSB2, & T, and assorted LTM & M lenses
Minolta XD11, Pentax ME Super, and assorted MD Rokkor and Takumar lenses, Rolleicord III, Rolleicord Vb, Rolleiflex Automat MX-EVS

My Flickr
My Gallery

Old 05-07-2019   #101
Erik van Straten

I've had some severe difficulties with Flickr today ... this is going on for some time now.

Erik.

Old 05-07-2019   #102
wwfloyd

I pretty much do not update my Android apps -- "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." But, yesterday, I had to update Flickr, in order to log in with my new Flickr (not Yahoo) login. As I suspected, the old app version just was not set up for the Flickr login. So... the new version of the app does not have access to Stats, which I do enjoy looking at, occasionally.

Yes, Flickr, generally, has been pretty spotty, for a few months.

Old 05-13-2019   #103
olifaunt

The app loads only some photos in the stream, the other stay blank and reloading makes no difference, so I can’t see pics of people I follow and vice versa.

Some variant of the stream being down has been happening for many months and is getting worse. It is discouraging me and many others from posting photos. They are either really trying to destroy this as a social medium or maybe coming from Smugmug they just don’t understand social media.

Who’s still happy Smugmug took over? I just knew this would happen.

Old 05-13-2019   #104
charjohncarter

Again, yes: slow, blurry images sometimes. But the search engine on RFF is not any better.

Old 05-13-2019   #105
peterm1

Yes it is once more behaving like sh*t for me - mainly partially loading pages then giving up - effectively making it impossible to use Flickr. Its reminds me of and is almost like rolling blackouts with electricity supply when demand exceeds supply due to poor infrastructure and blackouts are programmed across different geographic areas on a regular rolling basis rather than the infrastructure being upgraded to fix the problem. In this case there are not many options here - either Flickr's servers are not coping with demand or its bandwidth is insufficient- either will cause a chokepoint. In either event it is up to SmugMug to fix it if they want to keep their business intact. Though as others have said they may not as it competes with their main platform. So maybe this is their plan - buy the opposition, kill it by letting it wither on the vine, and entice the membership to come to your existing alternative platform............................

I have been a pro member ever since Flickr brought in pro membership. Last year they doubled the annual fee (despite the previous owners promising never to do so, which of course is no longer enforceable). I can wear an increased fee if the service is good but under the present ownership the service has declined to the point where I am beginning to look at alternative hosting sites - something I would never have countenanced before.

Sad but if SmugMug are not interested the neither am I. (And my new supplier of hosting WILL NOT be SmugMug for obvious reasons as it seems they are responsible either buy their actions or by their inaction for this issue.

Old 05-13-2019   #106
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterm1 View Post
Yes it is once more behaving like sh*t for me - mainly partially loading pages then giving up - effectively making it impossible to use Flickr. Its reminds me of and is almost like rolling blackouts with electricity supply when demand exceeds supply due to poor infrastructure and blackouts are programmed across different geographic areas on a regular rolling basis rather than the infrastructure being upgraded to fix the problem. In this case there are not many options here - either Flickr's servers are not coping with demand or its bandwidth is insufficient- either will cause a chokepoint. In either event it is up to SmugMug to fix it if they want to keep their business intact. Though as others have said they may not as it competes with their main platform. So maybe this is their plan - buy the opposition, kill it by letting it wither on the vine, and entice the membership to come to your existing alternative platform............................

I have been a pro member ever since Flickr brought in pro membership. Last year they doubled the annual fee (despite the previous owners promising never to do so, which of course is no longer enforceable). I can wear an increased fee if the service is good but under the present ownership the service has declined to the point where I am beginning to look at alternative hosting sites - something I would never have countenanced before.

Sad but if SmugMug are not interested the neither am I. (And my new supplier of hosting WILL NOT be SmugMug for obvious reasons as it seems they are responsible either buy their actions or by their inaction for this issue.

Yes ... rubbish again today!

Old 05-13-2019   #107
ChipMcD

It was acting up earlier, but was responsive again just a minute ago. It's been so long since I looked. What other options besides Smugmug and Instagram, which I have but hate, are out there for displaying work that gets anywhere near the traffic of Flickr? There may be plenty of such outlets; I just don't know about them.

Old 05-13-2019   #108
Takkun
Ian M.

Honestly, I stopped using it several years ago and allowed my membership to lapse. The biggest thing was the 'infinite scroll' feature breaking, where pages seemed to stop corresponding to any meaningful order of images. It made finding something to share next to impossible. Very well could have been an issue at my end, but it seemed to be even worse on mobile. Similar issues abound when Yahoo took over Tumblr.

Doesn't sound like I'm missing out too much these days.

--
my infrequently updated blog
Finally on Instagram

Old 05-13-2019   #109
Greyscale

I cannot save photos to my Apple devices at all today.

My RFF Gallery

Old 05-13-2019   #110
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Upload is not working. *******s.

Old 05-13-2019   #111
farlymac
PF McFarland

I think they are making some heavy duty changes to the system, as it has been hanging sometimes depending on what Server Farm the images are coming from. Like first it was hanging on Farm 6, then Farm 9, and so on. Or it would load a photo for view, but the tool bar along the bottom would not go away.

Anyway, it's likely to clear up soon, though I hate to hear Upload isn't working for you Ko Fe. I haven't tried that since early this morning (it was fine then).

PF

Old 05-13-2019   #112
farlymac
PF McFarland

Just checked, and everything is running smooth now.

PF

Old 05-13-2019   #113
dourbalistar

Yesterday, I had errors with Organize. When trying to load the page, it returned: There was an error: TypeError: F.eb_add is not a function. Others seemed to have encountered the same error, but they seemed to have resolved it in fairly short order.

For whatever it's worth, there's an official Flickr system status page here:
https://status.flickr.net/

From this help thread:
https://www.flickr.com/help/forum/en...7708313747584/

flickr

Old 05-13-2019   #114
Ste_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipMcD View Post
It was acting up earlier, but was responsive again just a minute ago. It's been so long since I looked. What other options besides Smugmug and Instagram, which I have but hate, are out there for displaying work that gets anywhere near the traffic of Flickr? There may be plenty of such outlets; I just don't know about them.
Here you go

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...aring_websites

Instagram is the only game in town sadly. Making Instagram the shop window to your own website is probably the best you can do.

Old 05-14-2019   #115
Out to Lunch

As a satisfied Flickr user -no problems in Vietnam, I wonder if those who are experiences problems have notified Flickr/checked on the site what the cause of these problems may be?

Old 05-23-2019   #116
Highway 61
Revisited

They have listened to Keith's prayers and have just released a new model of sad panda today !

Old 05-23-2019   #117
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 61 View Post
They have listened to Keith's prayers and have just released a new model of sad panda today !

Down for maintenance ... yes I saw that just now!

Old 05-23-2019   #118
pesphoto

been down 24hours now, heck with it post em in the RFF gallery like I just did!

Old 05-23-2019   #119
olifaunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 61 View Post

They replaced it with a very low-rent graphic. This is probably not a good sign.

Old 05-23-2019   #120
peterm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Down for maintenance ... yes I saw that just now!
Yes the Flickr car is up on wooden blocks. The carburetter is off, the head is being stripped and the pistons will be replaced.

If it takes as long as when I last tried my hand at car repair it will be back up in ohhhhhh, I don't know, about three and half years.