Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Gearing up for a 1 Cam 1 Lens 1 Year Challenge
Old 05-14-2019   #1
B-9
Devin Bro

Gearing up for a 1 Cam 1 Lens 1 Year Challenge

Always wanted to do this but I have always been too much of a gear head to stay locked down.

Life has a way of changing your outlook and circumstances.

I look at all these cameras, the little pieces parts, and the cases... the cases of ****.. it’s exhausting.

Time for a change!

So here I am. What kind of advice would you give on starting a project like this?

I’ve already picked the camera, the lens, and the film. Everything else is being liquidated in hopes of maintaining concentration.

10 years with RFF pouring over gear has left me with a incredible depth of knowledge on cameras and process. No regrets here! Thanks everyone for being the great people you are! What a seriously awesome community we have here!

Oh no Marie Kondo got me!

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 05-14-2019   #2
B-9
Devin Bro

I know there has been more than a few of us who have done this over the years.

Any tips and tricks to keeping motivated and free of the urge to search gear!?

Old 05-14-2019   #3
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-9 View Post
I know there has been more than a few of us who have done this over the years.

Any tips and tricks to keeping motivated and free of the urge to search gear!?
Deven,

It takes a lot of courage and commitment. Kudos to you for a new beginning. I have a hard time with beginnings and endings because of unresolved grief. Pretty much I fall apart from uncertainty.

So the camera, lens and film I would be interested in that you picked. I would want to know why.

One trick I do is make the camera special, or lens, or both special. A mystical story of divine intervention, or legendary tale kind of is self reinforcing. The problem for me is that many of my cameras have stories, legend and have become mythical. LOL.

As I approach retirement I also think long-long term. Why not make the rig a forever camera and go beyond a year.

I don't want remorse, but my old Wetzlar M6 has wear and tear I put on it. In a way that camera has become part of me. It is also my first Leica. Lens 35/1.8 Nikkor in LTM.

The F3P I own once was a real press camera that was owned by the newspaper "Newsday." I bought it right after Operation Desert Storm right after it had been completely overhauled. This is the camera I have owned the longest. For a lens I would use my Noct-Nikkor that I got at B&H as a miss pricing. $2.7K for a $3.5K lens.

If I had to restrict to only one camera I think it would be this baby Linhof Tech IV I bought for $800.00 that was sold as a kit with mucho accessories that included a Zeiss 100/2.8 Planar that had a lens separation that the seller was very upfront about. I kinda knew about the risk involved by having John at Focal Point attempt a repair.

Many said an element could shatter due to the dissimilar formulations and the heat involved required to separate the glued elements. Even if the repair failed I still would have to pay for the attempt as if fully repaired. The risk was mine.

So for $250.00 I got a pristine/perfect 100 Planar that could sell for $2K. Pretty much I won the lottery. Know that John at Focal Point soon retired there soon after. Understand the Tech IV and all the extras were worth the $800.00 alone.

So your rig better have a cool story to give that camera some "Mojo."

BTW my film for 120 would be Tri-X: if I had to do 135 Kodak 5222.

If I had to indulge myself the three above that I own and have a "history" with are the one's I would keep. Truth be told really practical and all I need. All the rest is a bonus.

Cal

Old 05-14-2019   #4
B-9
Devin Bro

Pretty basic kit but,

Camera:
Nikon F100 + 50/1.4D

Film:
Portra 400

The Story:
When I was much younger and the F100 could be got new at Ritz Camera (Remember those? Eek) I always lusted after it. So badass looking in the glass case. The guys at the counter would always let you fondle the display. I’ve never actually owned one after all these years. I’m a true F5 lover but it’s big for a do everything go everywhere for a year or more camera. The 50/1.4D because it is both affordable and classic. Portra 400 because it’s generally versatile, good skin tones, and C41 is cheap to develop. I’ve always leaned on Black and white films... guess I’m ready to see the world in color for a change? Eh I’ll prolly cheat tho and shoot a few rolls of Pan F 50 here and there mostly because I have it.

The F100 would be new to me. That should keep it interesting for a while atleast.

I am keeping a box of camera related stuff. Mostly the jewels from my Kodak display nothing I really use. Pack it up tight and throw it in storage. My display cases have already been claimed so it’s time.

Old 05-14-2019   #5
madNbad

Thirty four years ago I packed whatever belonging would fit in the trunk of a 1973 Dodge Dart, drove three thousand miles to a city I had never been to and started a new life. Best decision I ever made. More than once I've cleared out all the gear and used just one camera. Last time was a M6 TTL and a 35 Summicron for about four years. It's easy to be distracted by new gear. Just one more gadget, or a lens or whatever till the next thing. Good luck and much success with the upcoming changes. Having just one camera makes it much easier to decide what to take.

Old 05-14-2019   #6
CharlesDAMorgan

For four years all I had was an Olympus OM2n and a Zuiko 50mm f1.8. The lack of choice never stopped me taking bad photographs with which I was inordinately happy!

Apart from that have a Rolleiflex 3.5F, the odd Minolta XD7, Hasselblad 500cm, a Topcon Super D and an Intrepid 5x4 large format (not the half of it but I am clearing them out, honest).

I do all my own black and white developing at home.

Old 05-14-2019   #7
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Deven,

Did you ever consider the F6?

I hope this does not come across as dissing the F100, but you mentioned the F5 and that it is too bulky and heavy.

To be fair I just want you to consider which might be the better camera for you. Cost should not be an issue because you intend on having just one camera.

I would look into both and make a careful decision.

I'm nearing retirement. About 9 years ago "Maggie" and I downsized to move into a one bedroom in Madhattan. Pretty much a fresh start that was liberating.

Our neighborhood was too poor in Long Island City to have stoop sales, so basically I put all the stuff in my front yard in the rundown old rowhouse we rented with a "Free" sign, and every day everything got vacuumed up.

Gave all our furniture away. Some went to this girl, a college grad, who was homeless, yet working at Public Storage, saving up to get her own place. Called the Salvation Army for the rest of the furniture, but realize they are short staffed and it took about a month for them to come by. This was just after Hurricane Irene.

Pretty much we bought all new furniture and had it delivered when we moved in. Made us realize how lucky were are. Felt good helping others less fortunate. Sadly in NYC all you have to do is look around.

I use to be a pack rat. Some of my friends accused me of single handedly downsizing Grumman when I worked there after the end of the Cold War. I had lots of car parts and airplane hardware that I recycle to friends who owned houses, had kids, and race cars.

I don't have remorse, and it is really funny how dragging around all this stuff that remained more or less useless once gave me a sense of home and belonging. I had old clothes I saved just in case I had to do an oil change on a car, but realize I no longer own a car...

Currently have been living where I live now (one bedroom in Madhattan) for about 9 years. This is the longest I ever lived in one place, and that includes my childhood.

Downsizing and simplifying my life has been the best healing and I have no remorse. Plan on starting a blog about bikes, cameras, and guitars.

All the best.

Cal

Old 05-14-2019   #8
B-9
Devin Bro

Looking forward to your Blog Cal!

Thinking about starting one myself. Prolly be more woodworking than anything. I am actively restoring a house, reclaiming a carriage barn, and preparing our house for a remodel.

Hoping to have this current house ready to flip by mid June and mine ready next May.

The carriage barn is a pet project of mine. I hope to re-assemble it as a cottage on a friends property and maybe get rid of the old motor home. We got a bitching new tent that slings over the Jeep and one of those fold out inflating camp beds. Should be a blast!

Old 05-14-2019   #9
MCTuomey

I have accumulation syndrome, so have nothing but admiration for your plan, Devin. I don't know Nikon gear so can't comment on body choice. I guess I'd favor small and simple, fwiw. Anyway, good luck on the plan and on your property DIYs, bravo!

My Flickr

Old 05-14-2019   #10
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-9 View Post
Looking forward to your Blog Cal!

Thinking about starting one myself. Prolly be more woodworking than anything. I am actively restoring a house, reclaiming a carriage barn, and preparing our house for a remodel.

Hoping to have this current house ready to flip by mid June and mine ready next May.

The carriage barn is a pet project of mine. I hope to re-assemble it as a cottage on a friends property and maybe get rid of the old motor home. We got a bitching new tent that slings over the Jeep and one of those fold out inflating camp beds. Should be a blast!
Devin,

Did lots of construction work. Roofs, sheetrock. Even built out a loft in SoHo. Always had to do repairs and be a handyman.

Never a home owner.

Great to move forward. Seems pretty seamless for you. In fact one day I hope to have a place to call home. I have been moving around so much that I could say I'm kinda homeless in a ways.

One reason I was able to let go of pretty much all these reminders of my past so I had a sense of "home" is photography. I now realize that after the housing crisis it created a lot of uncertainty for me, and it was then when I got serious about shooting as much as I could. Some months for an entire season 150 rolls a month.

I now realize the reason why I was so obsessed is that I wanted to somehow record a sense of home despite that likely one day I will have to leave NYC because I most likely will be forced to leave. I'm not wealthy enough...

Cal

Old 05-14-2019   #11
zuiko85

One way to simplify the whole ‘what lens’ thing is to use a fixed lens camera. That stops the temptation to slip another lens in a pocket. Of course you have already picked a set up but I have found self limitation useful so I cannot back out too easy.

Old 05-14-2019   #12
dourbalistar

If you're getting rid of gear.... shouldn't it be gearing down?

I really ought to do some gearing down of my own. Too much G.A.S. and now I need to F.A.R.T. (Free And Re-sell/Trade).

flickr

Old 05-14-2019   #13
B-9
Devin Bro

Yesssss! F.A.R.T

You got something there...

Old 05-14-2019   #14
BillBingham2

Never done it, though it sounds fun.

I'd say a Nikon S2 & a 50/1.4, an Olympus OM-1 and an 85/2, a Bessa L with a CV Snap-Shot 25/4, or a Nikon F2 with a 28/2.8 AIs.

Anyone of those four will provide great times and challenge you to create better images.

I don't have the cash for the film or time right now or I'd join you.

B2 (;->

Old 05-14-2019   #15
B-9
Devin Bro

Cal, have not considered the F6.

Really only one reason.

I can't afford it. lol

Mostly because I have been selling and instead of saving been paying on bills outside of my camera hobby as well as finishing up loose ends on some other projects.

I could probably find one under 900$ and use bill me later.... hmm sounds involved and I'm not big on payments. But if someone wanted to get rid of theirs on a monthly payment arrangement you might catch me in a good mood

Old 05-14-2019   #16
jawarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by dourbalistar View Post
If you're getting rid of gear.... shouldn't it be gearing down?

I really ought to do some gearing down of my own. Too much G.A.S. and now I need to F.A.R.T. (Free And Re-sell/Trade).
Only the guy that started the pun thread could have come up with that.

:-)

Old 05-14-2019   #17
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

Make sure to pick a camera that will last at least a year!
If it doesn't you will have to buy more gear.

Old 05-14-2019   #18
B-9
Devin Bro

I hope a good condition F100 would last more than a few years.

But your right. Possibilities. Should be cheap enough to replace.

Old 05-14-2019   #19
wjlapier

I would but I have several cameras I really like to use and don't want to sell them or NOT use them. But, if I did it would be either my Leica R7 and 35 Elmarit III or newly CLA'd Canon F1 with FL 35mm f/2.5 lens. Both great kits and excellent lenses. Then it would be Portra 160 for film. I can't do it for a year though since I have four really nice TLRs I love to shoot. Even if chose one of the TLRs I would miss the R7/F1 kits.

Count me out...

Old 05-14-2019   #20
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I think the F100 and 50mm f1.4 lens are both excellent choices. I don't really see that there is anything an F6 would add to the equation personally ... especially considering the self imposed lens restriction.

Old 05-14-2019   #21
Timmyjoe

I'm with you on the "too much" gear B-9. Suffering from the same issue. Not sure if I could sell so much of it off though.

The F-100 is a nice camera, and the 50mm f1.4D is a nice lens, and they both should work nicely with the Portra 400. Good luck with the project, and be sure to post some work as the year progresses.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 05-14-2019   #22
KenR

For me the cameras that I keep are all different but all special. Itís kind of like having children - they each have special qualities yet you love them all. I might like this one for landscapes, that one for street photos and yet another for going to a museum.. I would have a hard time with just one for a year - thatís why I bought the others.

Old 05-14-2019   #23
B-9
Devin Bro

It’s almost the point, for me, to post more photos and less gear.

I’ve got a few scanners sitting around (Still got that Epson for you Bill! Lol whenever we get around to it)

My brother gave me a decent PC for the Holidays and I am reluctantly bonding with it. In exchange I’m looking at older photos and feeling out a digital post workflow of my own.

Growing! I like that.

Old 05-14-2019   #24
PRJ
Another Day in Paradise

I think I am about to have a massive F.A.R.T. myself. Tired of having all this stuff around.

About six months ago I bought a black Pentax Spotmatic with pristine 28,50,135 lenses. I forgot I even had it until yesterday. I swear cameras are like rabbits. You look away, and all of a sudden they have multiplied.

I do the one lens thing all the time. I just put one lens on the camera and go. Keeps it simple. If you work with what you've got, you won't miss out.

Old 05-14-2019   #25
B-9
Devin Bro

PRJ Right on! FART away buddy! I agree you don’t miss out when it’s all you’ve got. Keep It Super Simple.

Old 05-14-2019   #26
Hogarth Ferguson

I haven't done one camera and one lens for a year, but I did do one camera, one lens, and one film for a trip.

My wife and I went to Italy for a week last year, trips are normally where I bring a few cameras and films. This time, I wanted to try to limit myself, so I brought my 501c, 80mm, and berggerpancro 400, nothing else. I think, overall, it was a pretty good experience.

I have a friend who shoots a leica mp, that is all he shoots, all I've ever known him to shoot, he has really motivated me to try to pare down gear to a few cameras. I'd like to get to what I call the Tim Hetherington kit: Hasselblad and Rolleiflex.

Old 05-14-2019   #27
Richard G

The project is not really the one camera one lens. That is the point of departure for minimising the intrusion of gear into your response to what you see and what you photograph. The limitation is liberating and the practice with just one device leads to honing technique and realisation of your photographic vision. Only you can decide what to now do with that camera and lens. Elizabeth Roberts’ latest editorial in the British magazine Black and White is germane: look at your previous work and see what it really is that you look for in taking photographs. I always read her editorials, which she calls letters. They are like Haiku, brief, gentle and deep.

Old 05-14-2019   #28
farlymac
PF McFarland

At one point I had to sell off almost all my camera gear (everything from 16mm to 4x5, with some studio gear included), keeping only a Nikon N90s kit, a Yashica Electro 35 GTN, and my Father's old Argus CC.

I didn't feel liberated at all, it was more a restriction. A few years ago I started back into acquiring more gear, getting the stuff I always wanted to try out. If a different camera platform was bought, then I felt the need to kit it out so that no matter what I walked out the door with, I felt like I had the requisite amount of items to do the type of photography I was interested in that day.

But after a while I began to gravitate towards only a couple of platforms, thus a lot of the gear was just sitting around not getting used. So I'm now in the process of getting it ready for de-acquisition. It will happen later this year after I officially retire, so that it doesn't affect my disability standing before then.

But I'm not done with acquiring gear. The kits I'm keeping are not complete, so there are still a few lenses, and a body or two I want to get. There'll just be less good working gear lying around here not being used. And I could use the room.

The F100 is a fine camera, usually called a Baby F5 because of its feature set. Combined with the 50/1.4D you should get plenty of good images. I'll never get rid of mine. It'll be part of the Remainders after the next purge.

PF

Old 05-14-2019   #29
dourbalistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawarden View Post
Only the guy that started the pun thread could have come up with that.

:-)
The G.A.S. has to go somewhere. It's either F.A.R.T. or B.U.R.P. (Buy Used, Resell, Profit). But usually things go down, not up...

flickr

Old 05-16-2019   #30
B-9
Devin Bro

A little update,

I have had a string of successful sales on the big auction site!

Big step in the right direction.

Old 05-20-2019   #31
B-9
Devin Bro

Final update before I fully commit and start shooting. Next post will be photos hopefully!

I’ve totally flip flopped on the kit. Been kinda tough to find a F100 body. I am also more worried than ever about all the stupid little problems the camera is known for.

The prices seem inflated and conditions vary so wildly I’m not wasting time or money.

Instead I decided to further minimize cost and risk.

New kit same film. Canon EOS1 + 50/1.8 (MKI)

The body is purchased (49.99$ + 8.95$ postage)
The battery is coming (6.25$ + Free postage)
The lens was a steal (49.99$ + Free postage)
Total: 115.18$ USD

The whole kit cost less than a F100. Im ready to rock and roll.

Old 05-21-2019   #32
Kent
Finally at home...

I could never do that (unless I really had to).
For me it would have to be a 50mm lens.
Probably, my M and a 50.
Main Lenses: Leica, Nikkor, Voigtlšnder, 7artisans, Meyer, Sigma, Pentax, Tamron, Rokkor etc.
Click me...

Old 05-21-2019   #33
B-9
Devin Bro

Its gotta be a 50! right!

Can anyone say what the appropriate hood the for Canon 50/1.8 (MkI) is?

ES-62? ES-68? Canons hoods are a little confusing.

Old 05-21-2019   #34
steveyork

I wouldn't limit yourself to one camera and lens. That usually stems for a feeling too much gear. I's just use the gear for a year, and at the end of the year sell what you didn't use, what you really didn't like using, and what didn't really the good pics. Keep some variety though. Creative people get bored easily.

Old 05-21-2019   #35
B-9
Devin Bro

Good advice Steve!

Thanks a bunch.

Final breakdown:
Body 49.99$ + 8.95$ post
Lens 49.99$ + free post
Hood 14.10$ + free post
Batt. 6.25$ + free post
Total: 129.28$ USD

That’s stupid cheap.
Won’t be worried where I take this kit.

Old 05-24-2019   #36
B-9
Devin Bro

Waiting on the hood and battery still. (Double posted in “show me..slr”)

The body came with a D screen score!

I do not think I’ve ever looked through a cleaner viewfinder. The previous owner really took care to keep the mirror and screen free of dust and crud. Lucky me!

Unfortunately the lens panned out to be a little worst off. A few cleaning marks, dust, and of course the rubber coating on the focus ring is shedding. I spent what I wanted so I’m keeping it happily.

The correct hood I got from Roberts (Usedphotopro) and with a new battery I’m set.

Wish me luck!

Old 05-24-2019   #37
wjlapier

I didn't want to say anything about the F100 while you were looking, but it seems there is a piece of glass in the finder that finds it's way loose and it's a full CLA to get it back in place--so I was told be a Nikon tech.

I considered a Canon AF camera just to use the 85L

Old 05-24-2019   #38
B-9
Devin Bro

The diopter right? Just another nail in the coffin.

Can’t say I love Canons diopter adjustment (no zero mark) but I’ve got it set right finally and it’s impossible to move with the eyecup on.

Still it’s kind of a good looking camera for its time.

I wouldn’t mind renting a 50 or 85L for a weekend! Lol

Old 05-25-2019   #39
B-9
Devin Bro

Heading down to see Eddie Money tonight.

Going to do a little tailgating with the camera.

Having a good ol fashion cookout right now and I’ve nearly finished a roll already.

Best save a few frames for DTE. Loving my new kit.

Old 06-04-2019   #40
madNbad

Somehow I've stumbled aboard the Devin train for the one camera challenge. After unloading a bunch of equipment, at the moment this is the remaining camera. I did hang on to a Nikkor 45 GN so it's not totally one camera one lens. T-Max 400 is the film of choice and a big thanks to Huss for giving Butter Grip some exposure.

[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/2g8L3V8]Everythings' better with Butter