Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica Screw Mount Copies

Leica Screw Mount Copies Classic Leica Copy forum as listed in the book 300 Leica Copies, including but not limited to Nicca, Leotax, Honor, Canon etc. At one time there was a major part of the camera industry just trying to make a lower cost copy/dirivitive of the original Leica.

Jupiter 3 or Jupiter 8?
Old 05-16-2019   #1
CharlesDAMorgan

Jupiter 3 or Jupiter 8?

Looking to do a bit of experimenting with soviet glass. Of the two Jupiter 3s which do you prefer and why, just interested to see if there is a noticeable difference.

Cheers!

Apart from that have a Rolleiflex 3.5F, the odd Minolta XD7, Hasselblad 500cm, a Topcon Super D and an Intrepid 5x4 large format (not the half of it but I am clearing them out, honest).

I do all my own black and white developing at home.

Old 05-16-2019   #2
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesDAMorgan View Post
Looking to do a bit of experimenting with soviet glass. Of the two Jupiter 3s which do you prefer and why, just interested to see if there is a noticeable difference.

Cheers!
They all differ, even within the same type.

No two of my J-3s draw the same, each has its own bokeh signature.
The early 1960s ones seem sharper at full bore than the latest black J-3s but the colour saturation in photos is better on these late made black J-3s.
But all that could be just from my sample of lenses.

The J-8s also vary, some are duds and not sharp, many are just average and some are equal to the finest Zeiss Sonnar f2 lenses, year of manufacture makes no difference to these variances .

If you do not need the speed and there is less chance to need shimming and want lower cost the J-8s are fine, as both lenses draw very similarly at the medium aperture settings.

Old 05-16-2019   #3
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

J8 is just neutral lens. With two choices. White, which could be from fifties and black, which are up to nineties. Blacks have more modern rendering and easy to shim.
J3 is character lens at f1.5 and also better lens at f5.6. After trying of all pre-asph Crons, 1.5 Norton, Planar ... I prefer J3. Black version also exist, but it is next to white elephant.
I'm fine with J3 from fifties. It is very good on bw films and OK on digital M.
But I know how to shim them. If it is not shim, then soft stories are made.

Old 05-16-2019   #4
WJJ3

I had a Jupiter-8 for a while, and was quite happy with the images from that lens. It was a 62xxxxx lens from the KMZ factory. I really don't care for the design of mount on these lenses though, and ended up moving it along. I don't like that the mount surface that screws onto the camera (or adapter) is thin, and has another ring there that doesn't contact the camera...

Flickr

Old 05-16-2019   #5
xayraa33

As forum member Kim Coxon can attest, the very last made black J-3 lenses are difficult to fully correct with shimming and back lens element movement correction, as the back lens element block is glued in on these, versus being in threaded bezels of the earlier J-3s.

With these very pretty and late made black J-3 lenses one could be stuck with a more expensive to buy J-3 lens that can never be made sharp at full bore to use on Leica standard type cameras.

Old 05-16-2019   #6
CharlesDAMorgan

So earlier rather than late for J3s - any date onwards to avoid?

Shimming is to get the correct lens register for the L39 right I assume.

Thanks all, very helpful!

Apart from that have a Rolleiflex 3.5F, the odd Minolta XD7, Hasselblad 500cm, a Topcon Super D and an Intrepid 5x4 large format (not the half of it but I am clearing them out, honest).

Old 05-16-2019   #7
xayraa33

Quote:
So earlier rather than late for J3s - any date onwards to avoid?

Shimming is to get the correct lens register for the L39 right I assume.

Thanks all, very helpful!
The very early J-3s are more for collectors, made in late 1940s early 1950s, expensive to buy now, and some might have Zeiss parts/glass to varying degrees combined with FSU made glass/parts. Lens hacker supreme Brian Sweeney did not think these were the best overall, a mixed bag.

Personally I found the early 1960s (JFK era) ones to be the best and fairly consistent in quality, although early 1970s aluminum finish J-3s are very good too. Avoid the final made early to mid 1980s black finish ones, can't really shim them properly, or to be more accurate.. cannot adjust the back lenses grouping like in the older J-3s, although sellers ask top dollar for them because they are not common and pretty and in good shape.

Old 05-16-2019   #8
valdas

I have a black J-3 from seventies and the focus is OK on my Bessa R2a via cheap adapter.

Old 05-16-2019   #9
CharlesDAMorgan

I found a 50s Jupiter 3 on Ebay with M adapter, so have ordered that. I'll check focus on my Sony and on my M3 (a few frames remaining) and hope it's fine.

Thanks to all for the advice, it is much appreciated!

Old 05-16-2019   #10
rfaspen

My 1957 J-3 gives me the results I expected from this lens. It was shimmed by a fellow RFF member at some point. Of course its a fast Sonnar, but I only need to remember to "lean in" about 5cm when shooting wide open and close.

My 1960's J-8 is a perfectly fine lens but not remarkable in any way. Consequently, I fine myself passing over the lens in favor of one of the many (too many?) other 50's in my lens closet. I think the J-8 makes a good lens for an economy setup, or for those times when you anticipate potential risk to your equipment -- in that case the J-8 is nearly ideal because its performance is rather good. Same comments apply to my 1970's J-8. I never had one of the more recent black ones. Some people say they're quite good (as opposed to the recent black J-3).

Old 05-16-2019   #11
SteveM(PA)
Poser

I thoroughly enjoyed my time with J8s and J3s ... I VASTLY preferred the J3 ... that big beautiful front element ... so much cheaper than a Summilux (was my reasoning).

This is a tiny file from my iiifrdst/J3 ...

Olympus XA, Fed 3B, Zorki 4K
"The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness."
-P. G. Wodehouse

Old 05-17-2019   #12
CharlesDAMorgan

That's really lovely Steve - and very reminiscent of a Summilux!

Old 05-17-2019   #13
retinax

How is the J-3 distortion-wise? The J-8 has a bit of pincushion distortion which can be annoying for someone who, like me, likes architecture and placing horizons near the edge of the frame.

Old 05-17-2019   #14
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by retinax View Post
How is the J-3 distortion-wise? The J-8 has a bit of pincushion distortion which can be annoying for someone who, like me, likes architecture and placing horizons near the edge of the frame.
Check here:
https://www.rangefinderforum.com/for...d.php?t=123588

Old 05-17-2019   #15
retinax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Thanks. Looks similar, some pincushion distortion. Great, less GAS.

Old 05-17-2019   #16
raid
Dad Photographer

Both lenses are good overall, but I prefer the J3. I like the rendering from J3’s from the 1950’s. My lenses were shimmed. My old 50mm lens comparisons had several J3 lenses in the pack. RFF members misled them to me for the comparisons. The three J3's used in my comparisons did not behave exactly the same way. This has been already discussed here by others. When shimmed appropriately, a J3 is not inferior to a Zeiss 5cm 1.5. Same goes for J8 and Zeiss 5cm/2. The Zeiss lenses are harder to find in ltm, and they cost a lot. I also have a "transition lens" (ZK) that supposedly has Zeiss glass but was put together in FSU. Sometimes it is best not to take such lenses apart to figure out if it is a genuine ZK or a false one. Just shim the lens and use it. I own a 5cm/2 ltm with Zeiss glass and a Leica lens barrel. I was informed that this lens is one out of 200 lenses that was sent to Sweden in return for iron ore. The history part is interesting to me. If you already have a Contax-LTM adapter, get Contax mount Zeiss lenses. They are cheaper. The J3 come in ltm without the need to use such an adapter. This is good.

J-3: from a very old lens comparison project

I used a 1938 Zeiss Sonnar 50/1.5 with a M 4/3 camera here:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 05-17-2019   #17
CharlesDAMorgan

Thanks Raid - very interesting to hear the Swedes used counter-trade to get the ore shipments paid for.

These are lovely lenses and I'm really looking forward to getting mine. It's a LTM screwmount with M adapter but I can easily test focus on the A7 etc.

Old 05-17-2019   #18
CharlesDAMorgan

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but is there the same need to shim if using the lens on say a Zorki or a Fed rather than a Leica? I suspect the answer is of the how long is a piece of string type, but who knows!

Old 05-17-2019   #19
xayraa33

Quote:
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but is there the same need to shim if using the lens on say a Zorki or a Fed rather than a Leica? I suspect the answer is of the how long is a piece of string type, but who knows!
Yes, it is like the" how long is a piece of string" type answer.

I go by the individual lens, some need shimming and a few that actually work fine the way you get them.

Some work great on FSU cameras and Leica the way they come.

Some need shimming to work well on Leica, or cameras with a Leica standard like Nicca/Tower or Canon LTM cameras.

Some need shimming to work well on any camera.

FSU gear can be unpredictable that way, you can never tell.

I had a very late made LTM J-9 lens in black and in new condition that was so out shimming wise from the factory, that you could never get it to focus on any FSU LTM camera or on a Leica or a Canon LTM camera the way it came.

Old 05-17-2019   #20
CharlesDAMorgan

Thanks xayraa - that at least saves me from going down the FSU camera wormhole, if just for now!

Old 05-17-2019   #21
Toreno

Currently, I really love my J-3 (1960), just arrived 2 days ago. Very light, small, soft wide open but have a pleasing effect and character.

http://www.sovietcams.com/index.php?-1123596578

Old 05-17-2019   #22
tbhv55

Quote:
that at least saves me from going down the FSU camera wormhole, if just for now!

Oh, go on, Charles - you know it'd be fun!

Old 05-17-2019   #23
CharlesDAMorgan

That's what I'm worried about. With their prices you can go from 0-60 in well under Lada times...

I must test out the four cameras I have not so far used, I must use all my cameras more often, HELP, they're breeding!

Old 05-17-2019   #24
tbhv55

Quote:
That's what I'm worried about. With their prices you can go from 0-60 in well under Lada times...

I must test out the four cameras I have not so far used, I must use all my cameras more often, HELP, they're breeding!

Tell me about it! I recently told a photographer friend that I wouldn't be buying any more camera equipment this year. Well, since I said that, I've added two film cameras. (one FSU )

Old 05-17-2019   #25
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
You would have to, if it will be necessary. I don't know anything about string type, but FSU collimation and following standards is not something written on the rock.

Old 05-17-2019   #26
CharlesDAMorgan

Received and understood Ko.Fe!

Now to do my research on shimming.

Old 05-17-2019   #27
CharlesDAMorgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbhv55 View Post
Tell me about it! I recently told a photographer friend that I wouldn't be buying any more camera equipment this year. Well, since I said that, I've added two film cameras. (one FSU )
Oh dear, I have been weak.

Old 05-18-2019   #28
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Received and understood Ko.Fe!

Now to do my research on shimming.

I used one manual from Brian Sweeny, but could find it anymore.
Basically with J3 you need to remove entire lens block from focus assembly and on lens block you will see shimming ring. I'm using it as template and cutting additional from paper. Most of the times I need to add one.
Only tricky part is to shift focus scale ring after it. It requires drilling three new locations to where three holding screws will screw in.
Those three screws are extremely small...

Old 05-18-2019   #29
goamules

It's hard to believe I bought my J3 eight years ago. I was lucky, I had a camera friend who lived in Moscow. I asked him to find me a good one. He let me "audition" 3 or 4 different J3 lenses he had on hand. He sent me high quality photos taken at different stops, and I chose a 1956 one. The prices at that time were $100, which we thought were getting up there from their $25 days a few years before. I still have the J3, and it did not need shimming on my Canon P.

Old 05-18-2019   #30
CharlesDAMorgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
I used one manual from Brian Sweeny, but could find it anymore.
Basically with J3 you need to remove entire lens block from focus assembly and on lens block you will see shimming ring. I'm using it as template and cutting additional from paper. Most of the times I need to add one.
Only tricky part is to shift focus scale ring after it. It requires drilling three new locations to where three holding screws will screw in.
Those three screws are extremely small...
I've found Brian's guide https://rangefinderforum.com/forums/...4&postcount=15.

My cunning plan is to have a very skilled friend who is insanely capable of dealing with tiny screws to do the job. He doesn't know this yet, but he owes me...

Old 05-18-2019   #31
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
I've found Brian's guide https://rangefinderforum.com/forums/...4&postcount=15.

My cunning plan is to have a very skilled friend who is insanely capable of dealing with tiny screws to do the job. He doesn't know this yet, but he owes me...
First link is hijacked now. Here is direct one to the manual I used:
http://pentax-manuals.com/repairs/j3service.pdf

Old 05-18-2019   #32
IIIg

Your chances of finding a useable J8 are quite a bit better than a useable J3.

Quality control on the J3's was evidently poor. Many of them require shimming to focus properly on a Barnack Leica.

My own experience with ten J8's (then used to be inexpensive) was that they were all useable when they reached me (silver and black bodies both). Only one of four J3's was anywhere near good focus. All of the bad J3's were quite sharp lenses after having been shimmed properly.

Old 05-18-2019   #33
raid
Dad Photographer

Brian Sweeney shimmed J-3 lenses for me. Thank you Brian.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 05-18-2019   #34
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIIg View Post
Your chances of finding a useable J8 are quite a bit better than a useable J3.

Quality control on the J3's was evidently poor. Many of them require shimming to focus properly on a Barnack Leica.

My own experience with ten J8's (then used to be inexpensive) was that they were all useable when they reached me (silver and black bodies both). Only one of four J3's was anywhere near good focus. All of the bad J3's were quite sharp lenses after having been shimmed properly.
You have odd description of bad and quality control. Sounds like total newbie in RF.

Old 05-19-2019   #35
David Hughes
David Hughes

The strange thing is that none of the old USSR made lenses were intended for the Leicas in any shape or form. And the J-3 and J-8 design was from CZ in the first place then modified to use with Zorki cameras. And Zoris were based on FEDs and FEDs were based on Leica II's. By "based on" I mean starting out like them but being modified along the way, sometimes for the better. (I'm thinking of take up spools, RF colouring and cable release arrangements and so on.)

A lot of people selling them on ebay etc say they are for Leica, FED and Zorki and when they don't work or the original design works the way it always did the makers get blamed.

Then there's the other factor, which is the age and condition of the camera bodies. I doubt if there's any normal (non-billionaire) user who has had the RF and the registration of all his FED, Zorki and Leica bodies adjusted and standardised and the same goes for the lenses.

Add in focus shift and you get a real dog's dinner...

Regards, David

Old 05-19-2019   #36
CharlesDAMorgan

Very sage David. It's also the case that many of the FSU cameras and lenses, being so inexpensive, will not have had the same care, attention and expense lavished upon them as more valuable things.

I'll await my lens with interest. I have, in my normal fashion, succumbed and bought a Zorki 3 from 1954. I am entirely certain that both lens and camera will have issues that need sorting. Neither set of issues will be in as serious need of sorting as my expenditure on things I don't need!

Old 05-19-2019   #37
valdas

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
The strange thing is that none of the old USSR made lenses were intended for the Leicas in any shape or form. And the J-3 and J-8 design was from CZ in the first place then modified to use with Zorki cameras. And Zoris were based on FEDs and FEDs were based on Leica II's. By "based on" I mean starting out like them but being modified along the way, sometimes for the better. (I'm thinking of take up spools, RF colouring and cable release arrangements and so on.)

A lot of people selling them on ebay etc say they are for Leica, FED and Zorki and when they don't work or the original design works the way it always did the makers get blamed.

Then there's the other factor, which is the age and condition of the camera bodies. I doubt if there's any normal (non-billionaire) user who has had the RF and the registration of all his FED, Zorki and Leica bodies adjusted and standardised and the same goes for the lenses.

Add in focus shift and you get a real dog's dinner...

Regards, David
The fact is that QC has never been a thing in FSU and many things did not properly work right of the box. Been there, seen it many times, including cameras...

Old 05-19-2019   #38
CharlesDAMorgan

That is certainly true too!

Old 05-19-2019   #39
NickTrop

Never had a Jupiter 8 or a Jupiter 3. Did have a Jupiter 9 for a spell. Smashing portrait lens. Didn't mind that delimiter ring -- thought it an interesting work-around. Sonnar design too! (Though I never thought Sonnars were "all that", really... Could never really see a difference from a plain ole planar...) But my favorite Jupiter was the Jupiter 2. It, along with that robot, got the Robinson family out of many a jam on distant planets!

Old 05-19-2019   #40
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by valdas View Post
The fact is that QC has never been a thing in FSU and many things did not properly work right of the box. Been there, seen it many times, including cameras...

Interesting but I'd like to know how many brand new cameras you have bought in the old USSR, make, models etc...

Regards, David