Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Photo Books / Mags / Articles / Blogs

Photo Books / Mags / Articles / Blogs This is the place to talk about Photo Books, Photography Magazines, Photography Articles, as well as specialized Photo booksellers. Some books are a lot better than others, so it really does make a difference which ones you buy!

Old 02-25-2019   #2361
Mcary

Andreas Feininger New York in the Forties and Karsh A Biography in Images.

Old 03-21-2019   #2362
lawrence

Masahisa Fukase - ISBN 978-2-36511-202-4
This is a monograph of the work of one of the most original photographers of post-war Japan, published in 2018 by Editions Xavier Barral. I've long been a fan of his 'Ravens' series and this book gathers together many of his diverse projects into one place. If you like photography that defies rules or categorisation it's highly recommended.

Old 03-21-2019   #2363
lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1966 View Post
The Minds Eye (Cartier Bresson)
IMHO a good example of why some photographers are better off sticking to photography, no matter how great their photographs.

Old 03-21-2019   #2364
markjwyatt

The Manual of Photography, Ralph E. Jacobson, 7th ed. (1978); formerly The Ilford Manual of Photography.

Old 03-21-2019   #2365
Dogman

I always seem to have a book or two on order. The most recent I've read being "The Scotch Whisky Book" by Tom Bruce-Gardyne. But that's off topic so....

Most recent photo book, "Nude" by Ralph Gibson. It's good but kinda overwhelming...too much of a good thing. There's only so much flesh you can take page after page.

Old 03-21-2019   #2366
shimokita
白黒

Werner Herzog - A Guide for the Perplexed" conversations with Paul Cronin... with a lot of relevance for still photographers. The book is dedicated to "the Last Lion", Amos Vogel... so I took a look at "Film as a Subversive Art" (linked below - running time 56 minutes) by the same Paul Cronin as I was interested in the history of Vogel and Cinema 16...

https://vimeo.com/20313500/

Old 03-26-2019   #2367
lynnb

Beauty in Photography - Essays in Defense of Traditional Values, Robert Adams (Aperture) ISBN 978-0-89381-368-0. Reprint.
The Mind's Eye (Lawrence if I'd seen your comment I might not have bothered! Hmmm..)
Flickr

Old 03-26-2019   #2368
robert blu
quiet photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
This is a monograph of the work of one of the most original photographers of post-war Japan, published in 2018 by Editions Xavier Barral. I've long been a fan of his 'Ravens' series and this book gathers together many of his diverse projects into one place. If you like photography that defies rules or categorisation it's highly recommended.
I just visited a Fukase exhibitions a few days ago. Photos from "Ravens" were included. A strong work very interesting. I do not own books from him but for sure I ll buy one. You are right, highly recommended.
robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 03-26-2019   #2369
fireblade
Vincenzo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert blu View Post
I just visited a Fukase exhibitions a few days ago. Photos from "Ravens" were included. A strong work very interesting. I do not own books from him but for sure I ll buy one. You are right, highly recommended.
robert
Quote:
I have his Afterword special edition. The only guy who can shoot cats and i love it. Would have loved to have a drink with the guy...guessing he was a unique nutter

"No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film."

Old 03-27-2019   #2370
Richard G

Holga, Michael Kenna. The front cover photo of a white bird, wingtips blurred, over a dark river surface is magical. Kenna is a a very contemplative and patient photographer, lugging Hasselbalds through the snow. He's taken a Holga along as well and the book is made of his many shots with the cheap camera, the images full of the character due to the Holga's imperfections.

Old 03-27-2019   #2371
mconnealy

I recently got around to reading Beaumont Newhall's autobiography and his history of photography. The autobiography was a sad story, I thought. His history is worth reading because of the pivotal role he played as a curator, but it is flawed in important ways that I explored in a post on my blog. I would be interested in recommendations for other views of photography's history.

Old 03-27-2019   #2372
lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnb View Post
The Mind's Eye (Lawrence if I'd seen your comment I might not have bothered! Hmmm..)
Well, Lynn, there's no need to take my word for it now, let's hear what you think when you've read it

Old 03-27-2019   #2373
lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
The only guy who can shoot cats and i love it. Would have loved to have a drink with the guy...guessing he was a unique nutter
Agreed about the cat photography. The breadth of his photography is simply incredible, no doubt being a third generation photographer helped.

American Witness by RJ Smith
Old 04-03-2019   #2374
lawrence

American Witness by RJ Smith

American Witness by RJ Smith, The Art and Life of Robert Frank (ISBN 978 0306 823367)

An unauthorised biography that I've only just started reading but so far so good.

Old 04-03-2019   #2375
mconnealy

On Dorothea Lange, an essay by George P. Elliott in the MOMA book, Dorothea Lange, which accompanied the exhibit shortly after the photographer's death.
Elliott's essay is the best thing I've ever read on a photographer's way of seeing and on photography in general. The book includes all the exhibit pictures and provides some insights into Szarkowski's efforts to put together a major museum exhibit.
Examples of the out of print book tend to be pricey, though I found mine with a bit of good luck in a local thrift store for fifty cents. The complete book is available on line as a pdf file at the MOMA site.

Old 04-03-2019   #2376
Mark A. Fisher

The American Monument - Lee Friedlander
The Democratic Forest - William Eggleston
Election Eve - William Eggleston
NATHAN LYONS: In Pursuit of Magic - Jamie Allen, Lisa Hostetler, Jessica S. McDonald

Old 04-07-2019   #2377
capitalK
Warrior Poet :P

Bought a copy of Bruno Barbey's 'The Italians' at the local thrift shop.

Old 04-07-2019   #2378
maddoc
... likes film.

"The Mechanical Retina at my Fingertips", a selection of 600 BW photos taken 1991 ~ 1992 by Suda Issei with a Minox. Very interesting work.

flickr
pBase

Old 04-07-2019   #2379
Taipei-metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoc View Post
"The Mechanical Retina at my Fingertips", a selection of 600 BW photos taken 1991 ~ 1992 by Suda Issei with a Minox. Very interesting work.
Suda Issei 須田一政, One of my admired and favorite photographer died last month, age 78(Apr 1940- Mar 2019),
i had my 2nd photo show years back in Taipei, an old photographer gentleman, lean to me and said...'Suda Issei' (referring to my photos), of course i was shocked and honored...until today,
Such a great photographer Suda Issei Senpai please rip

Old 05-22-2019   #2380
filmtwit
Desperate but not serious

Delany, Janet "South of Market." (London) Mack (2013) Hardbound 1st edition. 79p. ISBN-10: 1907946381

The Flickr Stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/filmtwit/

The Blog (Boring Sidney, Boring)
http://jeffthomasallen.blogspot.com/

Old 05-22-2019   #2381
Archiver

I haven't bought a photography book for a while, but was given Vivian Maier - The Color Works for Christmas. I had no idea she had such a large body of colour work, and it looks like most of it is Kodachrome. I highly recommend this book, at the very least for the gorgeous colours from a time we usually see in black and white.

Old 05-23-2019   #2382
Dogman

I recently discovered Louis Stettner and I've ordered several of his books. Sadly I've been completely ignorant of his work until now. He died a few years ago at age 93. "Traveling Light" is a recent publication accompanying an exhibition of his photographs.

Also worth mentioning is the new Lee Friedlander book "Signs". If you like Friedlander you will certainly enjoy this book. Well printed, large format.

Old 05-23-2019   #2383
Out to Lunch

Vivian Maier - The Color Works, a taste here. Very nice images from a time gone by.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Vivian+Mai...ages&ia=images

Old 05-23-2019   #2384
Mcary

Elliott Erwitt Museum Watching found in a local second hand book store this past weekend.

Old 05-23-2019   #2385
stonecutter

I have acquired several Roger Hicks books in the last month or so. I find that I really like his writing style and viewpoint.

Bruce

Leica M2,M4-2,M3,M5,IIIG,IIIF, Hexar RF, Mamiya 7, Nikon F100,F6,D300(IR),D40(IR),D600++ , Zeiss, Voigtlanders and many others.

Old 05-23-2019   #2386
maddoc
... likes film.

"Meine Erfahrung mit der Leica" written by Dr. Paul Wolff. I got an early copy of the book, still in good condition. The printing quality wasn`t up to today`s standards but there are many photos shown from the earliest days of the Leica including all technical details. Also his take on how to take photos, develop and print make up for an interesting read.

flickr
pBase

Old 06-17-2019   #2387
filmtwit
Desperate but not serious

Parke, Trent "Bedknobs and Broomsticks By Trent Parke (Bedknobs and Broomsticks, Volume 1)". Little Brown Mushroom; First Edition edition (2010). ISBN-10: 0615375502

The Flickr Stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/filmtwit/

The Blog (Boring Sidney, Boring)
http://jeffthomasallen.blogspot.com/

Old 06-17-2019   #2388
Ccoppola82

I bought every Sam Abell book I could find. I watched his YouTube B&H lecture and really appreciated everything he had to say.

Instagram
Coppola_Art

Old 06-19-2019   #2389
lawrence

Quote:
American Witness by RJ Smith, The Art and Life of Robert Frank (ISBN 978 0306 823367)

An unauthorised biography that I've only just started reading but so far so good.
Just to say that I finished it and it's excellent, far better than expected. If you're a Frank fan this book is essential.

Old 06-19-2019   #2390
blan01

Central Park
Bruce Davidson

Old 06-19-2019   #2391
Michael Markey

Smile

Quote:
Just to say that I finished it and it's excellent, far better than expected. If you're a Frank fan this book is essential.
That`s good to know I`ll reconsider .
I was put off by a bad review …. on Amazon.

" I like Robert Frank’s photographs. After reading the book, I don’t particularly like him. His life is easily summed up: Trying hard not to try. In the end, all photographs are simply graphic images. Intent doesn’t matter ".

It gets worse .

PS I`ve reconsidered and ordered.

Old 08-15-2019   #2392
Michael Markey

Photography and The American Road Trip : The Open Road .
David Campany (Aperture).

Jim Marshall : Show Me The Picture .

Old 08-15-2019   #2393
PRJ
Another Day in Paradise

I've been running across some good books lately at used bood stores.

American Landscapes, MoMA, 1981
Ansel Adams, Friends of Photography, 1984
Imogen Cunningham, A Portrait, 1979

All three are good.

The doozie of late though was finding Michael Kenna : Night Walk by Friends of Photography, 1988. The work predates his shift to the Hasselblad, before he eschewed the graininess of the 35mm format for the smooth tones of medium format. Frankly, I think this is his best work. The images have an atmosphere that is special and the rectangle gives the images a dynamic that his square work lacks. I am not a huge fan of his because he seems to repeat himself these days, but the work in this book really breathes. Totally worth tracking down and it looks like it goes for pretty cheap on Amazon....

Old 08-15-2019   #2394
Deardorff38

Don McCullin, "Unreasonable Behaviour"

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2395
petronius

Moriyama Daido: How I take photographs
Moriyama Daido: Record #24
It is the first Record issue I ever held in hand and I will definitely get more.
Both books showed me again Moriyamas obsession in taking photos and the fact that the complete body of work is more important than the single picture. In my opinion his books work best by going fast through the pages and repeat this process over and over.

My Rollei 35 tumblr

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2396
Dogman

"The Beautiful Mysterious: The Extraordinary Gaze of William Eggleston". Photos from the collection of the University of Mississippi. Quite a bit of stuff I had not seen before with a lot of discussion that's not too overly art babble.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2397
kshapero
Press the Shutter

2019 Oris Watch catalog.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2398
Deardorff38

Don McCullin "Unreasonable Behaviour"

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2399
robert blu
quiet photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by petronius View Post
Moriyama Daido: Record #24

In my opinion his books work best by going fast through the pages and repeat this process over and over.
Interesting thought about the way to go through Daido's books, I never thought in that way!

Record will be for sure something special ! But many issues are quite expensive !

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2400
petronius

I found the prices at artbooksonline.eu quite reasonable - at least for the non-signed copies.

My Rollei 35 tumblr