Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Olympus RF

Olympus RF This forum is for the Olympus rangefinders.

Filter question for 35SP
Old 06-01-2019   #1
doctormirabilis

Filter question for 35SP

I’ve a 35SP in very good condition. Like shooting it, would like to try using filters though. If nothing else then just for the learning experience. For B/W shots of ”general” stuff and people.

I found a few filters at my dad’s place, that I thought I’d try. One orange and one green. I can’t make out what the filter factor is though. See the enclosed photo.

The orange one is by Carl Zeiss (Jena) and has 01 / M49 written along the rim. They’re both 49mm filters btw. I’d say the orange looks fairly dark for an orange, but that’s just based on having seen product photos of other orange filters online.

The green one is by Rollei (perhaps made for an old Rolleiflex camera?) Certainly looks quite dark and has Rollei / Germany / Grün / E49 written on it. There are no manuals etc. to consult.

I tried measuring them on my 35SP by just holding them up to block the light meter but I got the exact same reading with filter on as I did without. Maybe I’m missing something, but shouldn’t the meter react to that (it does work)? I can see the EV scale turning green etc. so I know the filter is covering it. But yeah, no luck there in determining how much light is cut.

Anyone able to assist here? Obviously I would love to see if these filters are of any use to me before I drop any dough on other ones. Thanks again.

https://ibb.co/2PVTWWJ

Old 06-01-2019   #2
Solinar
Analog Preferred

The orange filter should be a 2X filter factor. If your camera is loaded with 100 ISO film, set the meter dial to ISO 25.

Sorry, but I'm not able to comment on the green filter. Have fun.

35mm Gear Bessa R, Leica II, - IIIg, - M2
Just for fun 35mm Gear a Kodak Retina II, Retina IIa, a Rollei 35 S, plus an Oly 35RD and XA
Modern Medium Format Fuji GW 690III
Vintage MF Folders a Voigtländer Perkeo II and Bessa II, 2 of them - a ZI Mess Ikonta 524/2 - plus an Agfa Super Isolette & a Record III
Digital a D300 and a D700 with some primes - still going over a decade later

"Who spilled the Dektol on the bathroom carpet?"

Old 06-16-2019   #3
thornhill

It looks very much like a Wratten #11 yellow-green. Try 2 stops.

An 11 is probably my most used filter,