Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Roger Hicks -- Author of The Rangefinder Book

Roger Hicks -- Author of The Rangefinder Book

Roger Hicks is a well known photographic writer, author of The Rangefinder Book, over three dozen other photographic books, and a frequent contributor to Shutterbug and Amateur Photographer. Unusually in today's photographic world, most of his camera reviews are film cameras, especially rangefinders. See www.rogerandfrances.com for further background (Frances is his wife Frances Schultz, acknowledged darkroom addict and fellow Shutterbug contributor) .

I wish I'd never sold my...
Old 05-31-2011   #1
Roger Hicks

I wish I'd never sold my...

... doesn't matter what. Two questions. First, why did you sell it? Second, why don't you replace it?

For me, the answers have almost always been first, I needed the money, and second, to be honest, I don't miss it that much. Occasionally, it's true, the second answer is that price is now so high that I can't afford it, or I simply can't find it; but even then, I can't help feeling that if I liked it that much, I'd find the money, or find the lens (or whatever).

What are your answers?

Cheers,

R.

Old 05-31-2011   #2
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Black Konica Hexar AF.
Sold it to buy my first M2.
Now I have 2 Leica film bodies and 2 digitals, so I don't really need another film camera.

Phil Forrest

Old 05-31-2011   #3
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

M6 Classic 0.85 & M-Hexanon 50mm 1.2

Sold for money and not buying it back because of money. It brought me good cash and I really needed that, but I keep being sad about it...

I write vintage gear reviews on www.johanniels.com |

flickr | instagram |

Old 05-31-2011   #4
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_F_NM View Post
Black Konica Hexar AF.
Sold it to buy my first M2.
Now I have 2 Leica film bodies and 2 digitals, so I don't really need another film camera.

Phil Forrest
Dear Phil,

Exactly. Neither need nor really want all that much. The nostalgia is in effect separate from the camera.

Cheers,

R.

Old 05-31-2011   #5
benlees

Minolta Autocord. Has a lovely lens on it. However, 1/30th was inconsistent and PC was corroded. My cameras don't have to be pretty but I prefer everything works. The prices have really gone up more than my desire to replace it.

Old 05-31-2011   #6
SimonSawSunlight
userabuser

luckily, I never sold anything that I seriously regret selling so far.

Old 05-31-2011   #7
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlees View Post
Minolta Autocord. Has a lovely lens on it. However, 1/30th was inconsistent and PC was corroded. My cameras don't have to be pretty but I prefer everything works. The prices have really gone up more than my desire to replace it.
Beautifully phrased!

Cheers,

R.

Old 05-31-2011   #8
retnull

Konica-M 90 / 2.8.

I now have another 90mm that I love, and use, even more. BUT I took two images I really like with the Konica. So if I'm emotionally attached to the images, I'm emotionally attached to the lens. Do I know that the Konica is the reason I like these two images? NO, it was probably just the right shot at the right time. Yet the lens gets all the credit...

Old 05-31-2011   #9
andredossantos

My old Contax G1 with 45mm Planar.

I sold it as I was saving up for something or other I can't remember. In the end, I got so little for it at the time that thinking back I kick myself for not just keeping it. Mostly, I miss the lens. I always seemed to get great shots with it (this is most definitely a statistical aberration which distorts my memory and emotions, but nonetheless...).

Currently, prices are so inflated that it's just not worth it. Maybe in the future I'll get another.

Website

Flickr

Old 05-31-2011   #10
Mackinaw
Think Different

I wish I never sold my first 35m camera, a Canon FTb bought brand new back in 1971. That's the camera which really got me interested in photography.

Jim B.

My RFF Gallery:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 05-31-2011   #11
Nikon Bob
camera hunter & gatherer

Lots of things-divorce-been there done that why do it again.

Bob

Old 05-31-2011   #12
Roberto V.
Le surrčalisme, c'est moi

Mamiya 7 with 65mm lens.
Sold it to buy a screwmount leica kit.
Will probably buy one again after I get a couple of Leica M lenses.
I have owned a Hasselblad SWC/M, and I actually liked the Mamiya even more! It's one of my favorite cameras that I've used.

flickr
My RFF gallery

Last edited by Roberto V. : 05-31-2011 at 14:43.

Old 05-31-2011   #13
shimokita
白黒

Had a camera stolen and only sold one over the years. About 25 years on I did replace the one that was stolen and it ended up being the only one I ever sold. It wasn't as good as I remembered ;-) and my eyes are not as good as they use to be.

I was able to sell it for what I paid, so no loss except for a few rolls of out-of-focus images.

Did move on from a few cameras that were left with family and friends but other than that I tend to keep what I buy...

Casey
Nikon F3HP, AI'ed Nikkor-H 28 f/3.5, & Nikkor-P 10.5cm f/2.5
Nikon F3P, AI-S 20 f/2.8, 35 f/1.4, 50 f1.2, & 85 f/1.4
Fuji X100T, 23mm f/2 fixed lens
Mamiya RB67, K/L 90 f/3.5 L
Nikon Coolscan V ED & Epson GT-X830

Old 05-31-2011   #14
paulfish4570

Winchester Model 12 field grade 16-gauge shotgun with original Polychoke, manufactured in 1917.
My word, i could hit with that beautiful machine.
sold it when i was in college to buy a zenit slr and couple of lenses. what a mistake, in effect trading one of the finest examples of firearms industrial art in the world for camera kit that immediately set about frustrating me.
no need to replace the shotgun. my father-in-law a few years ago gave me a world war II military police riot version of the winchester model 12. it's in 12 gauge and is all business.

Old 05-31-2011   #15
sdotkling
Sent through the ether

This is easy: My M2 with 35mm Summicron and 90mm Tele-Elmarit. Sold it 35 years ago to pay the rent. Times were tough, and I got terribly ripped-off by a grandfatherly man in New York. "The lenses are a disaster!" he said. "Fungus! I'll give you $200 for the two, and another $250 for the camera." Never having heard of fungus before, I caved, feeling guilty about my sloppy camera-storing habits. It wasn't until years later that I looked at the perfectly good final photos I had taken with the lenses, and realized I had been had. The end of youth, the beginning of cynicism.

Old 05-31-2011   #16
oldoc
oldoc

M7.
No question about it.
I loved that camera...

Leica M10P and assorted stuff.

My Images:
www.pbase.com/meephoto

Old 05-31-2011   #17
wjlapier

1989. Sold my Rolex Submariner for $600 to a pawnshop. I bought the watch a year earlier and pawned it once for money. Got it out of pawn before it's time was up and decided to sell it because I needed money. Back in those days I was carefree with money and never considered saving. Now it's kinda funny. I spend +$5000 for an ala carte M7, but think +$5000 for a watch is too expensive.

Old 05-31-2011   #18
charjohncarter

My '53 MG TD, my '68 Triumph Bonnevilles (two of them), but all cameras sold I have no regrets.

Old 05-31-2011   #19
siracusa

I sold a handmade classical guitar to pay a fee instalment during my M.A. year and got but a fraction of its value. Having been through that I've never truly regretted selling anything since. For a while I missed a summicron r that had seen much better days & which I sold to get one in better condition. The replacement was never as good & I eventually sold all my r gear. More likely to regret purchases than sales - such as a CV 21/4 I just got to try ultra-wide again; immediately realised it's the wrong focal length for me.

Old 05-31-2011   #20
jbielikowski
call me Jan

RB67 Pro SD, I was too greedy to buy a strap for 30$ so I sold it.

Old 05-31-2011   #21
back alley
IMAGES

sold lots of gear
bought lots of gear
tried and kept some

no regrets really...

Old 05-31-2011   #22
TXForester

Olympus OM-1. Sold to get an OM-2. Later I regretted it and picked up an OM-1.

Old 05-31-2011   #23
Spyro

Νοthing really Roger... I've sold some expensive gear but never looked back. My test is infallible: if it's been sitting on the shelf for more than 6 months it's dead money and it has to go. Even if it's very cheap it still has to go to make room for books.

Old 05-31-2011   #24
kdemas
ʎlʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp sƃuıɥʇ ǝǝS

My couple regrets include my Contax N Digitals and the related 85/1.4 N Zeiss lens. I miss the NDs as they have/had massive pixels that created a very unique look. The 85mm in N mount was a re-worked version of the 85/1.4 in C/Y mount and it was probably my favorite lens I have ever owned, very unique signature.

Why did I sell them... I wasn't using them that much and was concerned their prices would fall through the floor. They didn't. Oh well, live and learn!

Kent

PS- Also regret selling my black S3 2000 Nikon but that is purely due to the fact it is the most beautiful camera I've owned, nothing to do with actually making pictures.

Old 05-31-2011   #25
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Camera gear? ... not really!

My copy of 'A Hard day's Night' autographed by all the The Beatles during their tour of NZ in the sixties! I've mentioned this one before ... it still haunts me. LOL

Old 05-31-2011   #26
tgon

My M4 IPSC race gun (rifle) & 12 gauge shotgun
sometimes i miss them, but at least i don't need a permit to carry my cameras

Old 05-31-2011   #27
Pfreddee

On a little different note, I've never sold any of my gear. Nobody wants it!

I did trade a MF camera that I wasn't using for store credit at our local real camera shop, though. But I don't miss it.

With best regards.

Stephen

Old 05-31-2011   #28
ruby.monkey

I've never sold anything. I've traded away a few cameras and given away more, but the only one I regret letting go was my Pentax SL - and that only because I later found a 50mm f/1.4 SMC-Takumar, 50mm f/4 Marco-Takumar, and 35mm f/2 Super-Takumar sitting in the bottom of my box'o'bits and in need of a mount (manual-everything lenses on my Pentax K20D having lost their appeal by this time).

The tale has a happy ending, though - a £10 punt on eBay provided me with a tidy Fujica ST-705. Now I just have to avoid the temptation to use this as an excuse to buy more M42-mount lenses.

Old 05-31-2011   #29
Jani_from_Finland

My ol' OM zuiko 18/3.5 and the rest of the bunch..
The Rolleiflex 3.5F White face... for 420 €.
Zeiss (HBL) 50/4 for 100 € ...
M6 with the 50/2 Dual something (that close-focus version with the glasses) for 600 €

Old 05-31-2011   #30
radiocemetery

I regret selling my 1966 Ducati Diana Mk3. Although it was a rational decision to sell, being rational isn't always rewarding, it is only being rational.

Old 05-31-2011   #31
John Robertson

Werra 3 + 35 and 100 mm lenses.
Purma Plus; Bessa R2; Bessa T;Fed2; Foca Standard x 2!!; Focasport 11 ;Fed Zarya ; AKW Arette 1c; Werramatic; Leica CL; ; Horizont 202; Olympus Trip35; Leica Mini3; Ilford Advocate: The Fed 2; Purma Plus and Ilford Advocate have been with me since they were new. (that makes me old )

Also other assorted junk (Digital camera )

Flikr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 05-31-2011   #32
SciAggie

My enlarger, darkroom timer and light. I never thought I would use it again - then I bought into M cameras... I haven't replaced it as I am not quite ready to rebuild a darkroom; I'm just frustrated I have to replace what I already had and liked.

http://strickspics.zenfolio.com
RFF Gallery

Old 05-31-2011   #33
barnwulf

I haven't regretted selling anything yet. I am thinking of selling my M4 and I am not so sure I should do it. I have three other very nice Leicas to use. Jim

Old 05-31-2011   #34
f16sunshine

My soul for a woman. She's gone of course. I'm getting bits of my soul back now. It still looks the same. I doubt she has held up as well

Old 05-31-2011   #35
Eric T

Sold a single stroke M3 once. Big mistake.

Old 05-31-2011   #36
Dave Jenkins
Loose Canon

Pentax 6x7 with 105 and 45mm lenses. I've been going through many years of photographs recently and have realized that I had a higher percentage of keepers with that camera than any other. I sold it in a mad rush to digital, but would buy another with the same lenses plus the 200mm if I could afford it.

My newest book, Backroads and Byways of Georgia is available now wherever books are sold.
Georgia: A Backroads Portrait http://blur.by/1gg1SMt is awaiting publication.
My best-selling book (28,000+ copies) is Rock City Barns: A Passing Era.
My web site: davidbjenkins.com

Old 05-31-2011   #37
aaron.tam

My Mamiya 7 with the 80mm lens for rent

flickr & [url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/aarontam/"][color=RoyalBlue]

Old 05-31-2011   #38
Bobbo

My Nikon F and F2. I was moving out after a nasty breakup and offered up my Nikons to a guy at my epic yard sale. Sure, the meters in both were toast, and I got more than I paid for them, but still. Thinking of getting an F with a plain prism (cheaper than an F2 with same).

The FM I spent $3 on at KEH (an As-is I tore apart and fixed) netted $75 at the same sale. I do not miss that, hehe. The broken Canonet 17 G-III I sold for $50 made me happy, too. The couple crudely AI'd lenses that went with the cameras are not missed.

I only kept an old Ricoh my mom gave me, my F3 and an FM I bought on vacation. Only kept the F3 because it had a meter, and I had just bought the FM 2 months before and felt it hadn't had a good enough shake. Thinking about ditching the F3 and FM shortly (Don't need the meter, and the finder's too small on the FM for my taste). I keep forgetting to take pics of the cameras for a classified sale .

Old 05-31-2011   #39
David Murphy

Wish I'd not sold any Leica M lens as they are now almost too expensive to replace!
Canon L1, Leotax S, Bessa R2C, Konica Autoreflex, Canon FX, Pentax Spotmatic, Minolta SRT-101, Nikon F, Exakta VX, Miranda Automex II, Leotax K3, Yashica Mat LM, Leotax S, Pen FT, Rollei 35S, Ricoh Singlex TLS, Kowa Six, Pentax K1000, Canonflex, Praktina, Voigtlander R2C

http://legacycamera.wordpress.com

51 ford pickup
Old 05-31-2011   #40
enasniearth

51 ford pickup

it was many years ago .
1951 ford pickup - flat head v8 with dual water pumps .
push button starter on the dash .
no matter how cold it was , or how long it sat ---- always started .
well i paid $350 . then in 1984 .
the prices are a bit more now /.