Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > DIYS Modifications

DIYS Modifications DIYS aka Do It Yourself Projects - mostly gear modifications

The Rasterbator for Large Wall Prints
Old 10-28-2016   #1
Steve M.

The Rasterbator for Large Wall Prints

I found this while searching on the web for a DIY art projector (see bottom link below for my version, which works great to project small, black outline tracings that are made on sandwich bags onto large canvases).

The Rasterbator is a fun way to just print some stuff out mural size. I like it because this way you can get an idea of what something actually looks like in a big wall size before thinking about doing it professionally. I'll bet that if you printed out each section on good inkjet paper and dry mounted each one onto foam board w/ spray adhesive, you could knock out a big piece in no time, and it should look pretty darned good. The interface is a little clunky, but hey, it's free, and it does all the math for you. Pretty neat.

http://rasterbator.net/

http://s1241.photobucket.com/user/st...ojector?sort=3

Old 10-28-2016   #2
Talus
pan sin sal

I saw this in a magazine about 10 years back and always thought it was absurdly cool. Never got around to making a print though. Print something and show us!

Old 10-28-2016   #3
f16sunshine

Thanks for the link. I forgot about this.

Old 10-28-2016   #4
Steve M.

I will probably not be inkjet printing anytime soon as I went back to painting and block printing (which is why I needed an art projector to blow up my small sketches to trace onto canvases). All my photos are darkroom printed at home on fiber anyway, but this scheme is so easy I might print some artwork up w/ the Rasterbator and see if there's any interest in an interior decorating sort of deal. You could print on clear Mylar, glue to tiles, and coat w/ a clear polyurethane for kitchens or bathrooms if you made each individual part of the image tile size.

I did just now blow up the little sketch I showed in my DIY art projector which uses a cell phone flashlight as a light source, and it worked really well. Saved myself about $50-$75 for a Tracer projector. Here it is below, along w/ attachments of my projector because the photobucket website that has my online images is down again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0195.jpg (30.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg small DSCF0193.jpg (39.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg small DSCF0190.jpg (36.5 KB, 16 views)