Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Digital Cameras > Sigma / Foveon Cameras

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

I See The Sigma SD Quattro H Has Landed.
Old 02-06-2017   #1
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Keith is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,561
I See The Sigma SD Quattro H Has Landed.

That kind of sneaked in under the radar while I wasn't paying attention and I'm not seeing much fan fare about the camera anywhere. I also can't help but note that it is fifty percent dearer than it's sibling so there has to be more to it than just the larger sensor surely?

I'm still very tempted but although it's only a twelve hundred dollar (US) camera at B & H it's an eighteen hundred dollar camera here in Oz and it is available at the same outlet I bought my Merrills ... C. R. Kennedy.

I sort of made up my mind that if I allowed myself one piece of photographic gear last year or this year it was going to be this camera and the price is about what I expected. Is anyone else seriously interested in this camera or do you see it as too little too late?
__________________
---------------------------
flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2017   #2
jsrockit
Moderator
 
jsrockit's Avatar
 
jsrockit is offline
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Santiago, Chile
Age: 45
Posts: 19,749
They seem cool enough, but to me they are too much of a pain in the ass to deal with. I'll stick to other brands.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2017   #3
jarski
Registered User
 
jarski's Avatar
 
jarski is offline
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,538
Interested. The fact that it shoots DNG (old Sigma raw is still there too) is a nice bonus. AF is still slow compared to competition, interwebs know.
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2017   #4
Samouraï
Registered User
 
Samouraï's Avatar
 
Samouraï is offline
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
They seem cool enough, but to me they are too much of a pain in the ass to deal with. I'll stick to other brands.
What a useless comment. Stick to the other boards if that's all you have to say about Sigma's Foveon cameras.

I'm personally dying to hear some forum member reviews about this new SD camera. Anyone grabbing the -H? The Dp0 is still my most regularly used camera. Though I honestly believe the SD Quattro cameras are "too little, too late." The DP Quattros have been around for ages. They should have skipped the Quattro sensor and launched the next lineup of SD cameras with a new sensor tech. And I honestly can't believe that they're loaded with Micro-USB 3.0 port instead of USB Type-C.

It's not as if Sigma isn't a huge success with their third party lenses...they can probably afford to keep the Foveon dream alive and on the bleeding edge.
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2017   #5
defconfunk
n00b
 
defconfunk's Avatar
 
defconfunk is offline
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 281
I love the idea of one of these. For me the lens mount is the issue - specifically getting used Sigma SA lenses seems to be nigh impossible, and I'm cheap.

If it was me (and had the EM1 mk2 not come out, it might very well have been me - the introductory offer with the 30mm F1.4 has got to be one of the best bargains in recent camera releases), I'd get the smaller sensor, just because then I can use the APS-C Sigma lenses as well, giving me the focal ranges I'm used to.

I'd love to see some sort of comparison between the two versions, but like you said, fanfare is limited and proper reviews (by people who understand the dis/advantages of Foveon) of the APS-C model are few and far between.
__________________
I have a camera. I enjoy pushing the big button.
http://mattkrull.tumblr.com
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2017   #6
Spanik
Registered User
 
Spanik is offline
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,425
Well I was kind of looking out to the new sd's but the aps-c one in 1:1:1 format isn't much pixels and for the -H you need full frame lenses. And the sigma ff lenses don't tick my boxes. So I stay with the dp's.
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2017   #7
Ong
Registered User
 
Ong is offline
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 182
Had a look at one whilst I was in Japan a month or so ago.
It's a hard toss up to be quite honest. The APS-C variant will have access to the majority of sigma's lens lineup since (correct me if I'm wrong) for most part Sigma's hasn't released any FF SA mount lenses.
On the other hand, the APS-H is a larger sensor and both the APS-C and APS-H are the same size externally from what I can recall...
Really a hard call this one.
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2017   #8
Sym101
Registered User
 
Sym101 is offline
Join Date: May 2013
Location: On a little red dot
Posts: 75
I wonder if these new mirrorless Sigma interchangeable lens cameras will work well with M-mount lenses, if adapters were made for it. I'd be really interested in them if they were.

I'm just imagining how M lenses on foveon sensors will turn out.
__________________
"Life is like a photograph, we develop from the negatives" - anonymous
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2017   #9
Samouraï
Registered User
 
Samouraï's Avatar
 
Samouraï is offline
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sym101 View Post
I wonder if these new mirrorless Sigma interchangeable lens cameras will work well with M-mount lenses, if adapters were made for it. I'd be really interested in them if they were.

I'm just imagining how M lenses on foveon sensors will turn out.
https://petapixel.com/2013/04/02/sig...eica-m-lenses/

I don't know how you'd be able to get M lenses working with an SA camera. Further, I'd imagine that a telecentric exit light path would perform better due to the nature of the stacked foveon sensor design, so only longer Leica lenses might perform more appropriately. Think of the thick sensor glass on the A7 cameras and how that hindered M-lens performance. That's probably the reason that the DP0's 14mm/4 lens is so large. Though the DP1's 19mm lens is tiny, so don't quote me on this reasoning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ong View Post
Had a look at one whilst I was in Japan a month or so ago.
It's a hard toss up to be quite honest. The APS-C variant will have access to the majority of sigma's lens lineup since (correct me if I'm wrong) for most part Sigma's hasn't released any FF SA mount lenses.
On the other hand, the APS-H is a larger sensor and both the APS-C and APS-H are the same size externally from what I can recall...
Really a hard call this one.
Sigma releases all of full-frame their lenses in an SA-mount variant. So the famous 35, 55, that new and amazing 85, the upcoming fast 135, the upcoming fast 14, whatever zooms they have on the market. Sigma has a really great full-frame SA lineup. I'd bet the 18-35/1.8 fits the APS-H sensor in the new SDQ-H, as it was pretty close to fitting full-frame sensors at most focal lengths, I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanik View Post
Well I was kind of looking out to the new sd's but the aps-c one in 1:1:1 format isn't much pixels and for the -H you need full frame lenses. And the sigma ff lenses don't tick my boxes. So I stay with the dp's.
How about the upcoming 14mm/1.8 on the SDQ-H? Fast DP0Q replacement, how cool will that be? I can't see it performing better than the 14mm/4 that is in the DP0 right now, but I'm excited for the results. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._8_dg_hsm.html
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2017   #10
redsky
Registered User
 
redsky's Avatar
 
redsky is offline
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samouraï View Post
What a useless comment. Stick to the other boards if that's all you have to say about Sigma's Foveon cameras.
Are we indulging in censorship now? I think his comment was actually valid, since dealing with Sigma raw *is* a hassle.

Your fanboy comment, on the other hand, doesn't contribute to anything, so maybe you should stick to other boards...
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2017   #11
Gregm61
Registered User
 
Gregm61 is offline
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky View Post
Are we indulging in censorship now? I think his comment was actually valid, since dealing with Sigma raw *is* a hassle.

Your fanboy comment, on the other hand, doesn't contribute to anything, so maybe you should stick to other boards...
Sticking to Sigma-related boards means talking to yourself.... a lot, LOL...
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2017   #12
Samouraï
Registered User
 
Samouraï's Avatar
 
Samouraï is offline
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky View Post
Are we indulging in censorship now? I think his comment was actually valid, since dealing with Sigma raw *is* a hassle.

Your fanboy comment, on the other hand, doesn't contribute to anything, so maybe you should stick to other boards...
Here's what I quoted:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
They seem cool enough, but to me they are too much of a pain in the ass to deal with. I'll stick to other brands.
This is a non-argument: so Sigma Foveon cameras are niche, specialty cameras that don't handle like a Canon 5D MkII. And they can be a "pain in the ass" at times, sure. I think we're all aware of that, don't you? The poster has apparently never used a Foveon camera and left an inane comment.

What do you mean when you say that this comment is valid? Break it down for me.
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2017   #13
benlees
Registered User
 
benlees is offline
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Age: 47
Posts: 1,487
I'm not sure Sigma Raw files are a pain the a$$ to deal with. Just use the supplied software, then export. It's one extra step. If you're using a foveon camera then you are used to working slow anyhow.
__________________
flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2017   #14
Ong
Registered User
 
Ong is offline
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samouraï View Post

Sigma releases all of full-frame their lenses in an SA-mount variant. So the famous 35, 55, that new and amazing 85, the upcoming fast 135, the upcoming fast 14, whatever zooms they have on the market. Sigma has a really great full-frame SA lineup. I'd bet the 18-35/1.8 fits the APS-H sensor in the new SDQ-H, as it was pretty close to fitting full-frame sensors at most focal lengths, I believe.
Fair enough. It's often hard enough to find SA mount lenses in Australia, let alone trying to find a FF SA mount lens so it's not often you see one in the wild or available for sale. (Almost unicorn like sadly)
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2017   #15
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Keith is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregm61 View Post
Sticking to Sigma-related boards means talking to yourself.... a lot, LOL...


Lol ..... yes!
__________________
---------------------------
flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2017   #16
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Keith is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,561
And I have to agree with Samourai's comment about jsrockit's remark ... it's a little like jumping into a digital thread and letting everyone know that digital sucks and you'll stick to film!

It doesn't add a thing and just pisses the people off in the thread who genuinely endorse the product being discussed.
__________________
---------------------------
flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2017   #17
jarski
Registered User
 
jarski's Avatar
 
jarski is offline
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky View Post
Sigma raw *is* a hassle.
Maybe *was* is more accurate (referring to DNG).

Hope we get some user experiences here in RFF as well.
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2017   #18
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Keith is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,561
I've been tempted to try Iridient's software for foveon raws ... it's strange that they only do it for mac! Currently I convert to tif in SPP then across to LR ... they never require a huge amount of work though!
__________________
---------------------------
flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2017   #19
shawn
Registered User
 
shawn is offline
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I've been tempted to try Iridient's software for foveon raws ... it's strange that they only do it for mac! Currently I convert to tif in SPP then across to LR ... they never require a huge amount of work though!
Iridient only works for Merrill and earlier RAWs though. Works well for them (and is much faster than SPP) but it doesn't support Quattro raw files other than the DNG (which is already processed).

Shawn
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2017   #20
shawn
Registered User
 
shawn is offline
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sym101 View Post
I wonder if these new mirrorless Sigma interchangeable lens cameras will work well with M-mount lenses, if adapters were made for it. I'd be really interested in them if they were.

I'm just imagining how M lenses on foveon sensors will turn out.
Won't be able to. While the mirrorless Sigma is mirrorless they kept the flange distance from their SLRs so that they didn't have to create a new line of lenses. The SA mount has a flange distance of 44mm. M mount is 27.8mm. Unless the adapter allowed the lens to mount inside the camera you can't make this work without having additional optics in between.

Shawn
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2017   #21
jarski
Registered User
 
jarski's Avatar
 
jarski is offline
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,538
DPreview has been testing Sigma's new DNG RAW. link.

sounds good! (except the humongous file sizes)
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2017   #22
Benjamin Marks
Registered User
 
Benjamin Marks is offline
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vermont
Posts: 2,651
Girls, girls. You are both pretty. Now on with our regularly scheduled programming.
__________________
Benjamin’s Gallery
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2017   #23
michaelwj
----------------
 
michaelwj's Avatar
 
michaelwj is offline
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brisbane AUS
Posts: 2,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
And I have to agree with Samourai's comment about jsrockit's remark ... it's a little like jumping into a digital thread and letting everyone know that digital sucks and you'll stick to film!

It doesn't add a thing and just pisses the people off in the thread who genuinely endorse the product being discussed.
I hear film is the original stacked sensor, so it is obviously much better than this digital rubbish.

You're welcome.

(Once again I have nothing of substance to contribute)
__________________
Cheers,
Michael
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2017   #24
Eric T
Registered User
 
Eric T is offline
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 746
I am very keen on the Sigma Quattro SD H. I have it in my shopping cart at two places!
I am thinking of coupling it with the 24-105 Art lens. But I just can't push the "Place this order" button.
There is just too little about this camera online. Some posts rave about how much better it is than the SD1 Merrill, others say the IQ is no better or a little worse.
Any thoughts?
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2017   #25
fireblade
Vincenzo.
 
fireblade's Avatar
 
fireblade is offline
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric T View Post
I am very keen on the Sigma Quattro SD H. I have it in my shopping cart at two places!
I am thinking of coupling it with the 24-105 Art lens. But I just can't push the "Place this order" button.
There is just too little about this camera online. Some posts rave about how much better it is than the SD1 Merrill, others say the IQ is no better or a little worse.
Any thoughts?
https://www.ephotozine.com/article/s...h-review-30496
__________________
Vincenzo

"No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film."
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2017   #26
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Keith is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade View Post

These reviews pretty much tell us stuff that we already know if we understand Sigma's cameras. That is more positive than some I've read though.

And I'm with EricT ... I keep going back and hovering over the buy button but can't quite do it yet!
__________________
---------------------------
flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2017   #27
Eric T
Registered User
 
Eric T is offline
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
These reviews pretty much tell us stuff that we already know if we understand Sigma's cameras. That is more positive than some I've read though.

And I'm with EricT ... I keep going back and hovering over the buy button but can't quite do it yet!
Keith - whichever one of us bites first should let the other know and share impressions. I still like the SD1 even with all of its quirks. I even like the jpgs out of the SD1.
I also like the slightly larger sensor on the Quattro SD H.
__________________
Eric Triplett in sunny Florida
These days I shoot mostly with Sony A7Riii, Sigma Quattro SD H, Panasonic G9, Panasonic GH-5.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2017   #28
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Keith is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric T View Post
Keith - whichever one of us bites first should let the other know and share impressions. I still like the SD1 even with all of its quirks. I even like the jpgs out of the SD1.
I also like the slightly larger sensor on the Quattro SD H.

Me too ... I was always OK with the crop factor of my M8 (also 1.3) and with this body I would already have quite a good range of lenses straight up because of owning the SD1m like you.

We are true pioneers Eric ... going where no RFFer has gone before! lol
__________________
---------------------------
flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2017   #29
jsrockit
Moderator
 
jsrockit's Avatar
 
jsrockit is offline
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Santiago, Chile
Age: 45
Posts: 19,749
DNG RAW is a welcome surprise.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2017   #30
Eric T
Registered User
 
Eric T is offline
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Me too ... I was always OK with the crop factor of my M8 (also 1.3) and with this body I would already have quite a good range of lenses straight up because of owning the SD1m like you.

We are true pioneers Eric ... going where no RFFer has gone before! lol
Keith - yes we have lenses but, as you know, our DC lenses will be cropped. Only DG lenses can take full advantage of the slightly larger sensor on the H. That is why I am thinking of getting the Sigma 24-105mm DG Art lens.
I did promise myself to not buy so much gear this year. But I am going to Yosemite National Park in California this summer so I really would like to see how the Quattro SD H does with such scenery.

And I agree with you. I too was very happy with the M8's 1.3 crop factor.
__________________
Eric Triplett in sunny Florida
These days I shoot mostly with Sony A7Riii, Sigma Quattro SD H, Panasonic G9, Panasonic GH-5.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2017   #31
f16sunshine
Moderator
 
f16sunshine's Avatar
 
f16sunshine is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Seattle
Age: 51
Posts: 6,258
I've never seen a print from a Foveon Camera.
__________________
Andy
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2017   #32
mjc
Registered User
 
mjc is offline
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I've been tempted to try Iridient's software for foveon raws ... it's strange that they only do it for mac! Currently I convert to tif in SPP then across to LR ... they never require a huge amount of work though!
Keith -- I think that its now available for Windows too. Or at least I recall some kind of batch conversion piece of software is available....
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2017   #33
giganova
Registered User
 
giganova is offline
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 1,323
Cool looking camera, with wait ... what? ... 45 Mpix!?
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2017   #34
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Keith is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,561
We need a couple of pics of this thing ...







__________________
---------------------------
flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2017   #35
giganova
Registered User
 
giganova is offline
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 1,323
Wow, is that thing really that big (with grip)?

  Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2017   #36
fireblade
Vincenzo.
 
fireblade's Avatar
 
fireblade is offline
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
These reviews pretty much tell us stuff that we already know if we understand Sigma's cameras. That is more positive than some I've read though.

And I'm with EricT ... I keep going back and hovering over the buy button but can't quite do it yet!
I believe i mentioned it sometime ago, when i get to Melbourne next, I'll probably click the buy button over the counter
__________________
Vincenzo

"No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film."
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2017   #37
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Keith is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
I believe i mentioned it sometime ago, when i get to Melbourne next, I'll probably click the buy button over the counter


C.R. Kennedy are currently quoting 'low stock' on the web site ... I sent them a message today to ask what their idea of low stock actually is and are they expecting another shipment.
__________________
---------------------------
flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2017   #38
Eric T
Registered User
 
Eric T is offline
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Me too ... I was always OK with the crop factor of my M8 (also 1.3) and with this body I would already have quite a good range of lenses straight up because of owning the SD1m like you.

We are true pioneers Eric ... going where no RFFer has gone before! lol
OK Keith - I placed the order tonight. I should have the Sigma Quattro SD H in a couple of days. I didn't buy any more lenses. I already have five DG lenses. So I'll let you know how it goes and I will take some H and SD1 comparison shots.
Now if I can only learn how to post photos on RFF without having them be so big!
All the best,
Eric
__________________
Eric Triplett in sunny Florida
These days I shoot mostly with Sony A7Riii, Sigma Quattro SD H, Panasonic G9, Panasonic GH-5.

Last edited by Eric T : 04-12-2017 at 16:42. Reason: spelling error
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2017   #39
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Keith is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric T View Post
OK Keith - I placed the order tonight. I should have the Sigma Quattro SD H in a couple of days. I didn't buy any more lenses. I already have five DG lenses. So I'll let you know how it goes and I will take some H and SD1 comparison shots.
Now if I can only learn how to post photos on RFF without having them be so big!
All the best,
Eric

Excellent Eric ... I'll look forward to your thoughts though I have to say I'm probably not far away myself. I have a rent bond refund coming in the next few days so I suspect that will be the decider. I'll probably sell something as well because the whole digital collection is becoming a little ridiculous now! This will be my fourth Sigma and I'd quite like to sell the SD1M if this H is the goods but the reallity is it's (the SD1m) probably not really worth much used.
__________________
---------------------------
flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2017   #40
gnuyork
Registered User
 
gnuyork is offline
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post
I've never seen a print from a Foveon Camera.
They are pretty special.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 17:27.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.