Leica Goggle lenses protection?
Old 05-01-2018   #1
Alex1416

Leica Goggle lenses protection?

Hello everyone!

I recently purchased some goggles lenses. One beautiful, mint, Summaron 35mm f2.8, and a decent Summicron DR.

I sent the Summaron to get CLA'd by Youxin Ye and just received it back and it is gorgeous! Now my problem is that the goggles are in such pristine condition, I'm afraid of using them and carrying them around. 2 of my camera bags only fit the camera body with a normal lens, so i would need to have the lens detached and attach when necessary which is inconvenient since i like to carry a quick single set up for the day. This is not a problem with the DR since the goggle detach easily.

My only other bag, is a small Ape Case, classic camera bag for any occasion. However, the interior is Nylon i think (shiny thread). The camera fits fine in this bag with lens and goggles attached. However, the camera would be moving around in there, potentially rubbing the goggles against the interior walls. The goggle are near perfect at the moment. I would hate to start getting scratch marks on the glass of the goggles.

I have tried quick searching online for some kind of covers don't seem to find anything. Did Leica ever make any covers for the goggles? My Summaron lens came with a special leather lens case. However it is bulky, and again defeats the purpose of having a single set up for the day.

Any ideas from anyone with experience with goggled lenses?
The only thing that comes to mind for me is to just wrap the camera in a microfiber cloth when inside the camera bag?
Any other ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Old 05-01-2018   #2
Freakscene
Deregistered user

Why not get a COONH or 14627 for the DR goggles?

There is also a case for the goggled Summaron:
http://vintagerangefindercamera.info...es-and-case-2/
but I can't remember the code.

Marty

Old 05-01-2018   #3
Alex1416

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakscene View Post
Why not get a COONH or 14627 for the DR goggles?

There is also a case for the goggled Summaron:
http://vintagerangefindercamera.info...es-and-case-2/
but I can't remember the code.

Marty
Thanks for the reply Marty!

Ill check out that COONH for the DR! Thanks for that.

And on the Summaron, i have that case for it. But i usually carry my camera with lens set up for the day. So that when needed, i just pull out the camera and shoot. Carrying the case on the side would make it so that the lens won't be used as much as i'd like, since i would have the camera set up with another lens. I was hoping to find something to protect the goggles so that i can have the lens attached to the camera all day, everyday, until i find the need to change lens for the occasion.

Old 05-03-2018   #4
leicapixie

There were ever-ready cases that housed the goggles.
Use a soft case by Benser..
Sadly i scratched one badly that later was stolen..
The "goggles" have a problem of the RF image not always 'lining' up!
My Summicron and now Summaron have same fault.
Enjoy and stop worrying.