Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film

Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film Discuss Image processing -- traditional darkoom or digital lightroom here. Notice there are subcategories to narrow down subject matter. .

Print washing woes.
Old 12-28-2018   #1
jmpgino

Print washing woes.

I am getting sick of print washing using a pool pump to circulate the water. And I refuse to pay hundreds of $ís for a print washer that only has $50 of plastic glued up.
So I am thinking of making my own, I can Tig weld so stainless steel construction would be easy. Aluminum would be a good idea but itís very pricey at the moment. Next obvious option is perspex or something like that and somehow gluing it together.
So has anyone made one or something similar that works and would share their setup please. Print washers seem to be the only old photographic tool that has not come down in price.
So come on chaps, help an aging man out please.

Old 12-28-2018   #2
Dogman

Maybe see if you can find a used Kodak tray siphon? I used one of those for years before getting one of those archival $$$$ washers and I swear the tray siphon worked as well or better for a lot less money. It just required regular attention whereas the costly washer required no attention at all.

Old 12-28-2018   #3
Bill Clark

Fiber or RC?

I wash in tray. 8x10 in 8x10 tray and so on. I have extra trays to use. I only wash a couple at a time. I don’t let water run continuously, rather change it a few times. I use two trays as I continue to process, moving the washed prints to a second tray.

Large prints, 16x20 and larger I only do 1 print at a time.

Info to maybe help:

https://www.ilfordphoto.com/wp/wp-co...Wash-Water.pdf

It’s not a strict time number or changes of water for me. It seems to work just fine. Maybe it’s because I only use RC paper now.

Old 12-28-2018   #4
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

How huge are the prints?
For Letter, 8x10 no needs for any washy washer.

Old 12-28-2018   #5
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Watch craigslist for a free/cheap darkroom?

Old 12-28-2018   #6
Freakscene
Deregistered user

Are you washing RC or FB paper?

https://www.fotoimpex.com/darkroom/d...nd-larger.html

Or a Kodak tray siphon.

Marty

Old 12-28-2018   #7
Deardorff38

I use Bruce Barnbaum's method of two trays and changing water. No print washer....no siphon. up to 20x24" prints

Old 12-28-2018   #8
brucetaylor

Agree, the big $ “archival” washers are nice but the Kodak siphon and a couple of trays work fine, just takes more attention. I finally got one of those plexiglass washers. Kept an alert on CL, took about a year and got one for $100. They do turn up once in awhile.

Old 12-29-2018   #9
Erik van Straten

When using FB paper, washing is very important, at least half an hour in running water (that can be a very thin trickle) of about 20 degrees C. Washing the prints in ice cold water is useless.

Rinse well is important for the shelf life of the prints.

Erik.

Old 12-29-2018   #10
newsgrunt

I'd strongly suggest ponying up and getting a good print washer vs manual fill/dumps (which works but there's your time...) I'd be looking at the Ecowash type print washer (from Freestyle). Incredibly spendy but same principle as Summitek washers. Guess you can keep an eye out for a used Nova washer over there.

Old 12-29-2018   #11
FujiLove

There’s also the Paterson tray washers, with a hose to connect to a tap and drain the other end. I used one for ages before I switch to a vertical washer to save space. Worked fine for me for RC and FB. They go for peanuts on eBay, and are often included when people sell off whole darkroom kits. Think that’s where mine came from.

Like this: https://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/print...6/13754_p.html