620 film still in old camera
Old 03-12-2019   #1
Steve Ruddy

620 film still in old camera

I would like to develop some old Kodak 620 film I found in my Dad's Kodak Junior Six-20 Series II. It has green wrapping paper but nio indication of film type. I was going to develop it using HC110 Dev 1:31, Any suggestions on amount of development time?

Old 03-12-2019   #2
css9450

Probably Super-XX Panchromatic or some similar. I actually have an unexposed roll of it (in 120 size) but although I've searched high and low, I've never seen any processing recommendations. I wonder if at the end of the roll there is a label or any other instruction? Absent that, can you stand-develop it? I do that with anything I don't know the "normal" processing times for (Ansco, Kodacolor-X, old Verichrome -not Pan, etc). I use Rodinal 1:100 for an hour but many people prefer HC-110 because it gives less fogging.

Old 03-12-2019   #3
Mark J

I seem to remember that the red backing paper was Verichrome Pan, yellow for Plus-x and green for Tri-x on Kodak. Others might have other thoughts on Kodak and other manufacturers. Good luck. In high school, a camera from a friend's dad had pictures from WWII. Great finds. The images will probably show, however you develop it. Then correct in darkroom or post processing.

Old 03-12-2019   #4
leicapixie

I have had no success with old roll films.
The best but still too fogged was done in cold water about 40F...
I have some more, thinking of using weak developer, cut off piece about 1+ exp.
Might try by inspection in extremely dim green light.
Roll fim not taped at end..
Google as much as possible.

Old 03-12-2019   #5
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

HC-110 is a great choice for processing ancient rolls. I've processed many old rolls of 620 exposed up to fifty years ago or even longer, perhaps—often with excellent results. Much depends on the type of film of course. And also storage conditions. (For sheer longevity of a latent image Verichrome Pan has no peer. It's resistance to fading verges on miraculous. For all the rolls of it I've developed only one failed to produce images—that, from a camera residing above a fireplace for decades.)

I would first do your best to determine the film type if possible. Post some images of the roll and its binding—perhaps someone will recognise it. And be reasonably generous with development once you have a basic reference time.
Cheers
Brett

Old 03-12-2019   #6
Freakscene
Deregistered user

As Brett said, use HC110. Very active, least fog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
Probably Super-XX Panchromatic or some similar. I actually have an unexposed roll of it (in 120 size) but although I've searched high and low, I've never seen any processing recommendations.
The 1945 Kodak Films book says 20 minutes in D-76, 20 minutes in Microdol, and 23 minutes in DK-20, all at 68 degrees Fahrenheit. The same times are on the datasheet for the 1950s bulk roll of Super-XX I have in my freezer.

Marty

Old 03-13-2019   #7
sepiareverb
genius and moron

I would use HC-110b at 62-64 degrees to reduce fog.

Old 03-13-2019   #8
css9450

When I get home tonight, I'll post a photo of a couple very old rolls which maybe might help aid with identification.

Old 03-13-2019   #9
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcophilus Harrisii View Post
For sheer longevity of a latent image Verichrome Pan has no peer. It's resistance to fading verges on miraculous.

Most definitely! I developed this roll of Verichrome Pan a few days ago. I bet its from the late-50s.

Old 03-13-2019   #10
Timmyjoe

Last year I found some Kodak Super-XX film that had expired in 1941. Shot a frame with it, and stand processed it in Rodinal. Here's the resultant image:

Even though the film had expired nearly 80 years ago, the image was put on the film just hours before I developed it. Your film is probably not as old, but the images were put on there probably a long time ago, so your results may be different.

Good luck with it and let us know how it turns out.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 03-13-2019   #11
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
When I get home tonight, I'll post a photo of a couple very old rolls which maybe might help aid with identification.
This is what I am picturing when I read "green wrapper". Its Super-XX Panchromatic. It is interesting also because it says "Brownie" on both the backing paper and on the spool.