Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Repair / Camera Care

Repair / Camera Care This is a good place to discuss the care and repair of your photo gear. You can share Do-It-Yourself repair and maintenance, as well as your recommendations for pro repairs. This new forum was created 4/1/07. PLEASE title your thread wisely, so others searching for a certain make of camera or repair person can find your thread easily!

M2 seals replacement - quote seems unreasonable
Old 03-18-2019   #1
nickthetasmaniac

M2 seals replacement - quote seems unreasonable

Hi all, this is specifically for the Australian members.

Iíve just recieved a quote from Camera Clinic to replace the seals on my M2 - $466...

Is this reasonable? It seems very high compared to work Iíve had done previously, but Iíve never used Camera Clinic before.

Thanks, Nick

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 03-18-2019   #2
kangaroo2012

Hi Nick,
I have used Camera Clinic and found the quality of their work impeccable.
I guess you pay for what you get.
There are not many People capable or willing to service Leicas now. I am in Sydney and have no reliable service men, or women.
Cheers
Kangaroo2012

Old 03-18-2019   #3
kangaroo2012

Is Robert Walsh in Hobart still doing Leica service?

Old 03-18-2019   #4
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Where is more than two light seals. One is main, seals the light at curtain edges.
Sold as one piece.

Old 03-18-2019   #5
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangaroo2012 View Post
Is Robert Walsh in Hobart still doing Leica service?
Is that the same ĎWalshí as Walch Optics? If so they still operate but only do very basic servicing.

Old 03-18-2019   #6
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangaroo2012 View Post
I guess you pay for what you get.

I'm a firm believer in this, but the quote is about 50% the cost of a 'new' M2, just to replace the seals. Seems awfully close to price gouging...

In context, this is significantly more than what I paid a year ago to have the VF prism re-silvered (a much more complex job).

Old 03-18-2019   #7
lynnb

Nick, have you tried Jorge?
http://europeancameraservice.com/
Flickr

Old 03-18-2019   #8
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnb View Post
Nick, have you tried Jorge?
http://europeancameraservice.com/

Yep I contacted him and he said he had a significant backlog of work. I'll keep him in mind in future.

Old 03-18-2019   #9
richardHaw
junk scavenger

thats a lot of money for some seals
http://www.richardhaw.com

Old 03-18-2019   #10
peterm1

You could try Ron Pinksterboer at Twin City Camera House in Adelaide. I have been doing business with him for 20 years or more. Ron is the store owner and an old time trained camera tech who still does that work whenever he can just because he enjoys it. His work is excellent, his service good and his prices are reasonable. You could at least ask him to provide either an estimate or a quote.

Ron is pictured in the following article. (which, however, is more about the telescope part of his business). https://www.insideimaging.com.au/201...ng-the-market/

Old 03-18-2019   #11
Beemermark

Your M2 is more than half of a century old. The light seals are wore out. I'm guessing a lot more than just the seals are wore out, need lubricated, adjusted, etc. The $466 is for more than just replacing two seals.

While on the high side the price is not out of line for a Leica qualified technician in the US.

Old 03-18-2019   #12
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterm1 View Post
You could try Ron Pinksterboer at Twin City Camera House in Adelaide. I have been doing business with him for 20 years or more. Ron is the store owner and an old time trained camera tech who still does that work whenever he can just because he enjoys it. His work is excellent, his service good and his prices are reasonable. You could at least ask him to provide either an estimate or a quote.

Ron is pictured in the following article. (which, however, is more about the telescope part of his business). https://www.insideimaging.com.au/201...ng-the-market/

Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 03-18-2019   #13
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemermark View Post
Your M2 is more than half of a century old. The light seals are wore out. I'm guessing a lot more than just the seals are wore out, need lubricated, adjusted, etc. The $466 is for more than just replacing two seals.

While on the high side the price is not out of line for a Leica qualified technician in the US.

No actually, the quote is just for the seals, not a CLA. The camera was serviced about 18 months ago. The current repair quote is for a specific light leak that has emerged in the last 6 months (as discussed below).

https://rangefinderforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=166544

Old 03-18-2019   #14
Huss

C'mon people, that price is crazy.

Let's not try to rationalize this, it is absolutely nuts charging $466 to replace light seals.
FYI that is about $330 US.

Old 03-18-2019   #15
splitimageview

They don’t really want the work. But they will do it if you are ok with the quote.

Old 03-18-2019   #16
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitimageview View Post
They donít really want the work. But they will do it if you are ok with the quote.

Yeah, except they also charge $120 for 'quote refusal'...

Old 03-18-2019   #17
teddy
Jose Morales

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthetasmaniac View Post
Yeah, except they also charge $120 for 'quote refusal'...
That's extortion - did they dismantle the camera already? They should "know" what to do and there's no need to charge $120. $50-60 is reasonable to check the camera. Have they used microscopes or something just to check it - I doubt it. I agree and visit Ron in Adelaide - or give him a call.

Did you agree to this price already? Have they got the camera? Are they allowed to charge this crazy price and hold you ransom by Australian Consumer Law?

Old 03-18-2019   #18
rfaspen

Hmm. The camera was "serviced" just 18 months ago, and now needs a $330USD service for "light seals"?

Seems wrong to me. I would expect an M2 CLA'd just 18 months ago by my favorite tech (Don Goldberg) to be ready for many more years (YEARS) of trouble-free operation. So, right off this seems wrong.

There are different light seals and baffles in the M2. Do we know which they intend to service (replace)?

I guess we just don't know all the details here, there may be more to this estimate than "light seals", and it might be for a reason. Still seems a high quote.

Can you check with another competent repair shop/technician??? I'd certainly like a second opinion

Old 03-18-2019   #19
rfaspen

Wait, what? $120 for quote refusal? Who are these people?

This is reminiscent of the folks who "fixed" my Rolleiflex. It went to the shop with a sticky shutter release (minor repair)-- came back as a paperweight. I was charged a full repair fee to have them return my permanently broken camera -- that they destroyed. I'll never use those "advanced" repair folks again....I obviously don't like paying someone else to brick my gear. I can do that myself thank you. I didn't even receive an apology, just demands that I had to pay to get my camera-shaped piece of trash back (I wasn't so sure I wanted it back, but they were not kind about that option).

This was another motivation for learning camera repair and investing in the necessary tools.

I trust very few technicians today: Don Goldberg and..... I'm thinking...

Old 03-18-2019   #20
Johngwill

Have you tried Yoshi at Nagami Camera Service ?www.http://nagamicamera.com.au
He was quite busy when I spoke to him last week as I sent my Canon P rangefinder to fix a faulty film counter and general service. He quoted me 6-8 weeks.

I don't know if Victor Plant is still in the repair business. He specialized in Leica and Rollei repairs. The only contact I have is a mobile number 0414 854 082.

What about Vintech Camera Service Centre in Melbourne (03) 9602 1820.

Good luck
John W.

Old 03-18-2019   #21
Davidhel

I wasn’t that impressed with camera clinic... but it was a few years ago. Try Vintech on Lonsdale Street. They do film and digital repairs - ask for Marty. Anything that I can’t do I take there - very fair with pricing and normally a 3 week turnaround

Instagram

Flickr

Old 03-19-2019   #22
Freakscene
Deregistered user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post

Let's not try to rationalize this, it is absolutely nuts charging $466 to replace light seals.
Crazy? Maybe, but it would also be $AU75-125+ to send it to an overseas repairer, because shipping and insurance costs here are very high. The going rate for almost everything in Australia is much higher than in the US.

Camera Clinic are the Leica certified repairer in Australia. But they don’t do everything themselves. Have they told you clearly if they will do it or if they plan to send it to Wetzlar? That might influence the price.

My view on these things is that I prefer to pay more for getting it done faster and properly without the risk of international transport. But only you can decide that for you.

Nick, I hope the M2 comes good so you can carry it to some more amazing places.

Marty

Old 03-19-2019   #23
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardHaw View Post
thats a lot of money for some seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post

I was shocked to see that price! But can you get out of that $120 estimate fee?