"Tabloid" brand processing chemicals
Old 05-24-2019   #1
iphoenix

"Tabloid" brand processing chemicals

I've found a film/plate processing kit which I believe may be from the 1920s (or thereabouts). It contains (aside from Kosmos Novex, Kodak Velox VF1, Kodak Nepera Gaslight, Ilford Selo contact and Agfa Brovira Siltex papers) a number of full and part full bottles of "Tabloid" chemical tablets, etc.

As only one is labelled with its' chemical name (potassium ferricyanide), I ask if anyone can tell me what the others may be:

- Photographic Desentiser
- Chromium Intensifier
- Sepia Toning tablets (bleacher no. 1)
- Scaloids Green Toning No. 1
- Ditto No. 2
- Kodak Concentrated Glazing Solution.

There is additionally a package containing 2 bottles, labelled Metol-Quinol Developer.

I'd also like to know if any of these chemicals (if sealed) might still be usable?

David

Old 05-25-2019   #2
Freakscene
Deregistered user

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphoenix View Post
I ask if anyone can tell me what the others may be:
- Photographic Desentiser
- Chromium Intensifier
- Sepia Toning tablets (bleacher no. 1)
- Scaloids Green Toning No. 1
- Ditto No. 2
- Kodak Concentrated Glazing Solution.

There is additionally a package containing 2 bottles, labelled Metol-Quinol Developer.
The desensitizer is probably ferrous oxalate. It allows you to develop under brighter light by inspection, but does not totally desensitize (i.e. fix) silver.

Chromium intensifier is typically based on potassium dichromate.

Sepia toning bleach is based on potassium ferricyanide.

Green toner is typically based on ferric ammonium citrate.

The glaze used prior to world war two was a protein complex made from bile harvested from cattle (seriously!).

The metol-quinol developer might be similar to D76. Metol was discovered as a developing agent in 1891, and quinones had been known as developers since the very early days of negative-positive processes. Metol and quinones are synergistic developers, with the metol developing and regenerating the quinones.

Anything that can oxidise probably will have done so over 90+ years. The chemicals would be vastly more valuable and useful as historical artifacts than as chemistry.

Marty

Old 05-25-2019   #3
iphoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakscene View Post
Anything that can oxidise probably will have done so over 90+ years. The chemicals would be vastly more valuable and useful as historical artifacts than as chemistry.
Thank you Marty; You've been a great help, especially with the above quote. I'll be keeping the kit intact now.

Regards,
David