Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Why your wife should have her Leica!
Old 03-31-2009   #1
simplethings

Why your wife should have her Leica!

Some of you may already know my situation. If you don't, I basically ordered an M6 with a 35 1.4 pre-ASPH Summilux without even asking or telling my husband. Oy. He has known that I've wanted an M6 for quite sometime, but I figured I had a hard enough time loading the film so I could wait awhile and just get later.

I basically got it to use as a tool for my personal projects. I'm a grad. student and have been working on projects on the side while trying to earn a living with a small photography business.

Anyhow, if you guys could list reasons for why I should be able to keep my Leica gear that would be great!!! I have no idea how I'm going to tell him -- or if I even should. This is so unlike me. I normally ask/tell him about big purchases (anything over $100). I rarely spend money on clothes, handbags (unless it's a camera bag), but he recently let me drop $5,000 on camera equipment since I sold everything off at one point.

Any suggestions, supporting arguments would be GREAT! :-D Thanks guys!

Old 03-31-2009   #2
ferider

Your camera will be indispensable for B&W baby photos a few months from now.

Cheers,

Roland.

Old 03-31-2009   #3
K5HJ

Believe me, if my wife bought an M6, I would be tickled. But, with a Summilux!

Alas, that could never happen.

I have to admit though, I would use it more than she.

Old 03-31-2009   #4
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

Two reasons:

Life is short
You are worth it

Happiness is APX100 and Rodinal 1:100

A bunch o cameras. Does it really matter?
And NOW ... Fuji X-Pro1 w/ 18-55, 18/2 & adapted Zuikos and Hexanons
http://zuikoholic.tumblr.com
https://www.instagram.com/e.r.dunbar/
http://weedram.blogspot.com

Old 03-31-2009   #5
maddoc
... likes film.

Simply convince him with some great shots from the first roll

flickr
pBase

Old 03-31-2009   #6
LeicaMSeattle

That's great, just do it! However did you know that Leica has a educator and student pricing for their equipment as long as you can fulfill their criteria. It'll save you some money.

Here's the link: http://www.freestylephoto.biz/pdf/leicastudent.pdf

Old 03-31-2009   #7
climbing_vine
-

I'd say you don't need to justify it as long as it wasn't his money and you didn't go into debt that he's responsible for. Or use money that could have paid off debt that you're both in.

Old 03-31-2009   #8
simplethings

Quote:
Originally Posted by climbing_vine View Post
I'd say you don't need to justify it as long as it wasn't his money and you didn't go into debt that he's responsible for. Or use money that could have paid off debt that you're both in.
That's a great point. He works full-time and I'm a graduate student + teaching assistant with a full tuition waiver and a monthly stipend that allows me to assist financially. We have no debt and are actually great with our finances. This purchase was very selfish of me (and goes directly against the dynamics of our relationship).

He does, however, know that I have wanted an M6 for the past 5 years... so, maybe that'll help. *eek*. It's not "just a camera" to me... it's a tool worth investing in, but I just made the mistake of clicking "order" without talking to him about it. Then again if I DID talk to him about it he would say "no" because he thinks it's quite idiotic to have an OLD FILM CAMERA. I've tried to talk to him about the craftsmanship and he understands it, but he doesn't really understand the craft that I am involved with. So there it is.

He'll find out one way or another... I just hope that I can pull it off in a way that makes it comical and lighthearted. Maybe get him drunk off his ass and throw myself on him and tell him "I'll do anything you want... if you let me get a Leica someday". And maybe he'll "yes, of course" -- and BAM -- there's the Leica! hahaha...

Old 03-31-2009   #9
David William White

Can earn enough revenue from your 'small photography business' to warrant this investment? Should be no problem, in that case. And good for you.

But that's not it, is it?

You will have to keep your mouth shut when he wants to buy that vintage MG.

Old 03-31-2009   #10
mknawabi
photographeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplethings View Post
That's a great point. He works full-time and I'm a graduate student + teaching assistant with a full tuition waiver and a monthly stipend that allows me to assist financially. We have no debt and are actually great with our finances. This purchase was very selfish of me (and goes directly against the dynamics of our relationship).

He does, however, know that I have wanted an M6 for the past 5 years... so, maybe that'll help. *eek*. It's not "just a camera" to me... it's a tool worth investing in, but I just made the mistake of clicking "order" without talking to him about it. Then again if I DID talk to him about it he would say "no" because he thinks it's quite idiotic to have an OLD FILM CAMERA. I've tried to talk to him about the craftsmanship and he understands it, but he doesn't really understand the craft that I am involved with. So there it is.

He'll find out one way or another... I just hope that I can pull it off in a way that makes it comical and lighthearted. Maybe get him drunk off his ass and throw myself on him and tell him "I'll do anything you want... if you let me get a Leica someday". And maybe he'll "yes, of course" -- and BAM -- there's the Leica! hahaha...
If my wife bought an M6 i'd jump her!

edit: in a very good way

Old 03-31-2009   #11
reagan
hey, they're only Zorkis

Quote:
... and throw myself on him and tell him "I'll do anything you want... if you let me get a Leica someday". And maybe he'll "yes, of course" -- and BAM -- there's the Leica! hahaha...
I hate to be a downer, but the truth is, just about all of us here have used that approach. It just doesn't seem to work that well. It's pretty much the norm here just to hide the thing under the bed 'til we get the guts to 'fess up.

But back to topic - "Why [my] wife should have her Leica" - Because she asks for little, puts up with a lot and deserves everything she wants.

Old 03-31-2009   #12
KM-25

It's easier than you think in a good relationship. I mean, what is that...a couple grand? You can blow that on going out, food and drinks / tips in no time. But that M6 and 35, that is a friend for life, he will see it in your photos.

And when you become really successful, it just becomes negligible. For my 40th, I got a mint chrome M3, this birthday, a decent reading copy of "The Decisive Moment". My family and my girlfriend know that photography is more than a passion or a job for me, it is who I am, my life. It just gets easier.

And to keep things good, I just make a nice photo of my lady once and awhile...:-)

Old 03-31-2009   #13
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

A wife is as entitled to a Leica as anyone is to a midlife crisis.

When I got my first, my wife looked at me and said "Is that a Leica?"

"Yes," I replied, "and also my little, red sports car."

I have four now... She knows it's my midlife crisis and, apparently, she has no problem with it.
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide

Old 03-31-2009   #14
Michael Da Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknawabi View Post
If my wife bought an M6 i'd jump her!

edit: in a very good way
If my wife even knew what an M6 was I'd jump her in the same good way!!

Old 03-31-2009   #15
KM-25

My girlfriend lost track of all my gear, some 13 cameras and 27 lenses, 3,000 rolls of film, gyro, U/W housing, climbing gear, avalanche gear, snowboards, packs, all that work stuff.

But she did *not* understand the 100+ H.P. added to my Toyota truck with a supercharger...

Old 03-31-2009   #16
Jason Sprenger

"Hey, I impulsively bought that stupid camera and lens that I really wanted, but I feel it might be a problem. You know, we should talk about how we're going handle this kind of spending."

It's likely that he has 'stupid' interests too, e.g. hunting, boats, sports etc. which while not shared are accepted... or not.

Accepting the reality of each others "stupid" spending, it may be useful to work around it. For instance, determine a percentage of your money as communal and divide the rest equally so each of you are free to spend it on "stupid" things on your own.

Might be better than trying to be clever.

Old 03-31-2009   #17
mooge

really depends on your relation with your husband, doesn't it?

you could justify it with that Leica-praise we're all familiar with... but I think some good photographs will be better justification, if that's what you want.

good luck anyway...
cheers.

Old 03-31-2009   #18
climbing_vine
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Sprenger View Post
"Hey, I impulsively bought that stupid camera and lens that I really wanted, but I feel it might be a problem. You know, we should talk about how we're going handle this kind of spending."

It's likely that he has 'stupid' interests too, e.g. hunting, boats, sports etc. which while not shared are accepted... or not.

Accepting the reality of each others "stupid" spending, it may be useful to work around it. For instance, determine a percentage of your money as communal and divide the rest equally so each of you are free to spend it on "stupid" things on your own.

Might be better than trying to be clever.
Yep. That's how we do it. I don't complain when she uses her money on yet another bento box, she doesn't complain when I use mine on yet another broken camera. Or beer. Generally the latter leading to the former.

Old 03-31-2009   #19
chris00nj
Young Luddite

Say it's transferring a liquid asset (cash) into a non-depreciating fixed asset (a Leica). If you decide that you don't want the Leica anymore, you can sell it for at least 95% of what you paid. Therefore, you really only spent about $250 (5% of $5K)

It's not a pair of shoes or a fancy purse that wears and instantly depreciates to nothing. It's not a DSLR that will be worth 1/10th the value in 5 years.

You can have the same M6 for decades. I use a M3 my grandfather got in the mid 1960s.

Flickr

Blog

Old 03-31-2009   #20
simplethings

Alright, I'm gping to tell him after dinner. I think KM25 and I share something in common.. I feel much like how he does and having said that I will also use the example from chris00nj! Wish me luck!

Old 03-31-2009   #21
Thardy

Quote:
Alright, I'm gping to tell him after dinner. I think KM25 and I share something in common.. I feel much like how he does and having said that I will also use the example from chris00nj! Wish me luck!
Good Luck!

I guess you got over the issue of film loading

Flickr

Tumblr

Last edited by Thardy : 03-31-2009 at 19:42.

Old 03-31-2009   #22
Al Kaplan

If all else fails tell him that you're packing your bags, moving to Miami, and you're going to become the step-mother of Al's brood of Leicas.

My Gallery

Old 03-31-2009   #23
Pablito
coco frío

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris00nj View Post
Say it's transferring a liquid asset (cash) into a non-depreciating fixed asset (a Leica). If you decide that you don't want the Leica anymore, you can sell it for at least 95% of what you paid.
No, no, this is totally lame. Besides cameras are depreciating "assets" - even Leicas. The M6 that was $1200 a year ago is now $900. Just check the history of the classifieds here. Only the truly rare collector cameras might be considered investments.

By the way, the M6 was the perfect choice for sheer useability. I hope it was the M6 classic. And film loading very easy and reliable if you follow Leica's instructions. DO NOT wind on until you close the camera and put on the baseplate.

Last edited by Pablito : 03-31-2009 at 19:48.

Old 03-31-2009   #24
simplethings

Yes, it's a M6 classic and it has a black dot... Hmm

Old 03-31-2009   #25
chris00nj
Young Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablito View Post
No, no, this is totally lame. Besides cameras are depreciating "assets" - even Leicas. The M6 that was $1200 a year ago is now $900. Just check the history of the classifieds here. Only the truly rare collector cameras might be considered investments....
I never said they were an investment. They would bean investment if you are using them to sell photos, but the actual camera isn't an investment. It is a fixed asset though. She could sell it. I've changed my mind on camera gear or have upgraded, selling the original for near what I paid for it.

Leicas do depreciate but in comparison to any other consumer product, they depreciate extremely slowly. What did a Leica M3 cost in 1966? $300? It'll sell for about $700 today. We've had a lot of inflation since then ($300 in 1966 is equivalent to about $1900 today), but what other consumer product (not a collectable item) from back then carries as much value?

As for the M6, don't forget to factor in the fact that there has been a wee recession since a year ago.

Flickr

Blog

Last edited by chris00nj : 03-31-2009 at 20:20.

Old 03-31-2009   #26
Merkin
For the Weekend

There are a couple of points I would mention.

The first is that buying one leica and one lens, and using them for five to ten years will actually, even with the cost of film, save money compared to chasing the digital cutting edge. I would guess that you spent somewhere between two and three grand. Over five or ten years, one would spend much more than that if they fell in to the DSLR trap, so you made a wise choice.

If you take care of the camera even halfway decently, you will be able to get most of your money back out of it. Buying something like a Leica is not like buying a car. It will not be worthless in ten years. In fact, it will last for the rest of your life. In that sense, it is like buying a pair of expensive hiking boots instead of a pair of walmart cheapies. My father, for instance, wears the same pair of Herman Survivor boots that he bought in the late sixties or early seventies. Buying a Leica is like buying a Rolex watch. My grandfather bought a stainless steel Rolex in Switzerland in the mid sixties. He just got it back from the third CLA it has ever had. With a CLA every 15 to 20 years, it will still be working when I leave it to my grandchildren.

A professional photographer is entitled, if they can afford it, to professional equipment.

If all else fails, tell him that he can use it to take nude photos of you. That is always a pretty solid 'nuclear option.'

Old 03-31-2009   #27
Pablito
coco frío

yeah, a "wee" recession!

I just wonder if the value of Leicas will hold as relatively steady as they've held over the past few years. I am a devoted Leica and film user, but even I find I need to use the DSLR more and more, the Leica less and less... And surely I'm not the only one. What will this do to the resale value of the cameras? Well, honestly, I don't care because I probably won't be looking to sell my Leicas but I could see values going down steadily over the next years.... the wee recession helping of course :-(

Old 03-31-2009   #28
BillBingham2

ST,

First off IMHO, you need to apologize for pulling the trigger for such a large purchase without asking. Wrong thing to do, even if it was perhaps the best camera ever made and a kick a55 lens.

That said, come up with a way to generate some funds to pay back some of the money spent. Write up a plan and stick to it.

As much as digital has come a long way but it's not there (again IMHO), yet. Your M6 with high quality scanning is better than any digital camera out there today. With the recession my hope is that the camera manufactures will focus on improving the image quality rather than just running the mega-pixel race. Only time will tell if consumers will think this is important or not, but I pray they will. You will need to find a pro shop that scans the film at a very high resolution (not your average Walgreens or Costco). There a few places around the US that do this and will send a DVD with your images on them.

You could have done worse, could have spent the same money on a few purses and shoes (three pair). I had and loved an M6, it's a great camera. You have a world class chuck of glass to capture the world with. Do not get another lens, it's all you need. Go out and make some GREAT pictures and enjoy life.

B2 (;->

Old 03-31-2009   #29
simplethings

The verdict is in.

Here's what happened:

After dinner I told him I had something I wanted him to read and gave him the laptop with the browser opened to this forum. I watched him from afar and he had a surprised smile and gasped a couple of times. He is in utter disbelief, but not quite upset... He said, "I can't stay mad at you for very long". Ahhhh, he loves me. I'm a lucky girl.

He wants everyone to know that my credit card is now being taken away and I will have to use cash-only. I'm relieved that my sudden GAS attack didn't result in permanent damage. He understands that the Leica isn't just something I decided I wanted out of the blue. The hubby is taking a shower right now and is "mulling things over" in his head. Trying to come to terms with it.

The forum actually helped in my opinion. I'm sure he was amused that I came up with a creative way to drop it on him and probably felt more at ease knowing there are guys who would actually WANT wives who buy gear. Haha... Thanks everyone for commenting. I'll be sure to post a photo of me and my M6 when it gets in.

See ya.

Last edited by simplethings : 04-01-2009 at 01:17.

Old 03-31-2009   #30
KM-25

Quote:
Tell him you are joining the Kodachrome Project...:-)

( See sig for details )

Old 03-31-2009   #31
Al Kaplan

Yup, you are a lucky girl for sure. Enjoy your new Leica and your understanding loving husband.

My Gallery

Old 03-31-2009   #32
BillBingham2

Very good sight. He's a very lucky man.

B2 (;->

Old 03-31-2009   #33
pachuco
El ****

As a married and often in trouble husband, you should have just said nothing and when he did notice the M6 just look at him and say "we talked about this already, don't you ever listen to me?!" and then stomp away. If I were your husband I would just cut my losses at that point and never mention it again.

flickr

Why a Leica?
Old 03-31-2009   #34
KM-25

Why a Leica?

Why a Leica one might ask?

I scoffed for years at the price, easy to do when you are a broke newspaper shooter. But then in 2006, I decided I had better try one in light of the Kodachrome Project. So I found a guy who was selling a classic M6 ( non-TTL) and 2nd version 35 Summicron for $1,700 and I went for it.

The very first thing I noticed is that I had my life back again. And what I mean by that is that I too got to witness the moment I was capturing due to no mirror black out. All those years of getting the shot meant that the only memory I had of it was the before and after and the shot it self, I personally, missed the moment.

With any rangefinder, you see in spatial relationships as the area outside the frame is also seen in the finder. This makes the R/F an exceptional tool for the "Decisive Moment" or people photography in general. If you are one to heavily quiet down "Noisy edges" with objects protruding into the frame, then at first, the R/F might annoy you with it's lack of framing precision.

But after awhile, it grows on you and you start to shoot more loosely, less contrived and controlled and you leave more up to chance than control. You just see more with a R/F camera. Needless to say, the Leica is not the best tool for architecual or landscape photography if precise framing is paramount.

I now own and use 4 Leica M cameras and 6 lenses. One M6, MP3 and two M3's. Lenses are a 15 CV, 28 F/2, 35 1.4, 50 F/2, 50 1.4 and 90 2.8. I use the 35 and the 50 1.4 the most. I will use them for life and plan to phase digital use out of my life as much as I can...I have been shooting digital for 15 years, I can live with out it for a lot of things..

So in short, the Leica M is the camera that simply but precisely gets the heck out of the way of making great photographs.

Last edited by KM-25 : 03-31-2009 at 21:48.

Old 03-31-2009   #35
Bingley

Good for you.

Good for him.

Now take lots of pictures.

FS: Zeiss-ZM Planar 50 plus hood, Pentax MX, Voigtlander Ultron 40/2.0 SLII in Pentax K-mount, Takumar 100/2.8 and 35/3.5 lenses: See my ads in Classifieds

M3, M2, R2A, IIIc, IVSB2, & T, and assorted LTM & M lenses
Minolta XD11, Pentax ME Super, and assorted MD Rokkor and Takumar lenses, Rolleicord III, Rolleicord Vb, Rolleiflex Automat MX-EVS

My Flickr
My Gallery

Old 03-31-2009   #36
Bingley

I looked at your website: very nice work. As Earl said, you're worth it!

FS: Zeiss-ZM Planar 50 plus hood, Pentax MX, Voigtlander Ultron 40/2.0 SLII in Pentax K-mount, Takumar 100/2.8 and 35/3.5 lenses: See my ads in Classifieds

M3, M2, R2A, IIIc, IVSB2, & T, and assorted LTM & M lenses
Minolta XD11, Pentax ME Super, and assorted MD Rokkor and Takumar lenses, Rolleicord III, Rolleicord Vb, Rolleiflex Automat MX-EVS

My Flickr
My Gallery

Old 03-31-2009   #37
reagan
hey, they're only Zorkis

Quote:
He said, "I can't stay mad at you for very long".
There ya go. You did good. Women folk always know just the right approach to minimze the damage.

If the tables were turned and I had tried that same approach on my SweetThang, I'd be sleepin' on the couch for a month while recovering from having the laptop surgically removed from my ..... nose.

This has been fun. Thanks for lettin' us play along and give our best regards to the LuckyMan at your house.

Old 03-31-2009   #38
tung

Moving thread with a happy ending. We and our relationships are more fragile than cameras (classic), alas.

Old 04-01-2009   #39
Thardy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingley View Post
I looked at your website: very nice work. As Earl said, you're worth it!
Is there a link to a website?

Flickr

Tumblr

Old 04-01-2009   #40
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

Your credit card taken away? That sounds ugly. Are you sure?

EDIT: Enjoy the camera! Now, the best money-saving tip: learn to develop your own. It's a small investment for a lot of fun. And the savings from doing it will help you with the payments!
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide

Last edited by SolaresLarrave : 04-01-2009 at 08:01.