Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M8 / M8.2 / Ricoh GXR

Leica M8 / M8.2 / Ricoh GXR Smaller than full frame digital Leica M mount cameras. The Ricoh is included as a less expensive and viable digital Leica M lens platform.

Can the M8 do HDR photography?
Old 07-21-2009   #1
mikemyers

Can the M8 do HDR photography?

One of the things I like to do with my cameras is take HDR photos. That's where you take 3, 5, or 7 shots of the same thing, bracketing the exposure. There is special software that puts the final image together, using the best parts of each of the images.

Does the M8 have bracketing? How many shots in a row can it take? Can I do this in "burst" mode?

There's no need to see the images on the LCD. Since I know I can't vary the aperture automatically, can it do this by varying the shutter speed?

If the M8 can not do it, I'll continue to use the D2h and D3 series cameras, that do this perfectly.

Old 07-21-2009   #2
Darkhorse
pointed and shot

Please don't do it.

Old 07-21-2009   #3
mikemyers

See: http://www.hdrsoft.com/ for examples...

Old 07-21-2009   #4
J. Borger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhorse View Post
Please don't do it.
Agree very much!!

M8 is not convenient for this.
If you want to do it with the m8 you have to change the EV settings yourself manual before each exposute. A real pita if you ask me!

Old 07-21-2009   #5
kid_a

I find it very hard to swallow, an M8 being used for HDR photography..

Anyway, who cares if it actually brackets? Take a shot, adjust exposure up, take a shot, adjust exposure down... etc.
ltd ed. "jack" white stripes holga with fisheye
and a giant pile of boring digital mess.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dylanlynch/

Old 07-21-2009   #6
mikemyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhorse View Post
Please don't do it.

Sorry, I've been doing it for a year, and intend to continue to do it. My question is whether the M8 can provide bracketing, as otherwise I need a tripod and to take each image separately.

Old 07-21-2009   #7
JNewell
Leica M Recidivist

I think what he meant was please don't do it with an M8 because it'll frustrate you because the bracketing function is frankly (but not surprisingly) pretty "manual" (I did not say "crude"). You will need a tripod, I think, but I am not very schooled in good HDR field technique.

Old 07-21-2009   #8
venchka

Interesting. I had very good luck with Tufuse and a single frame of 35mm film exposed before there was software.

HDR processing by itself isn't bad. It's what people do at the Tone Mapping stage that creates cartoon like photos. Tufuse doesn't have tone mapping. It's free too.
"Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing" Kimi Raikkonen
My Gallery
My Blog-Reborn
FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Old 07-21-2009   #9
Jamie123

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNewell View Post
I think what he meant was please don't do it with an M8 because it'll frustrate you because the bracketing function is frankly (but not surprisingly) pretty "manual" (I did not say "crude"). You will need a tripod, I think, but I am not very schooled in good HDR field technique.
No, I think what he meant was that hdr is an abomination and that the world doesn't need more of it.

May I add: Please, please, please, please don't do it!

Btw, I may be wrong but I suspect that once the number of hdr pictures in the world has reached a critical mass, it will create a black hole that will destroy the universe.

Old 07-21-2009   #10
user237428934
User deletion pending

No built in bracketing function. I am sure some would call the M8 a P/S camera if it had one ;-) But do you need different exposures? I read that many people do HDR with one raw file. Expose it in the raw converter with -1, 0, +1 and feed the results to the HDR-tool of your choice.
This is really the first time that I read about the combination of HDR and M8.

Old 07-21-2009   #11
bolohead
Joel Cosseboom

Don't buy the M8 for its HDR ability. It would be like using the fine china for a backyard barbeque. If you want a camera that processes HDR images, pick up a new Pentax K7, which can do in-camera HDR processing. Paper plates are better for burgers.

My Flickr
My RFF Gallery

Old 07-21-2009   #12
mikemyers

One of the people I do work for is the owner of a large hotel in Asia. He was shown some HDR photography, and fell in love with it. So, if I want to keep him happy, I get him what he wants.

The Nikon D2x is perfect at this - put it in bracketing mode, turn on high-speed shooting, press the button, and your pre-selected number of photos (3, 5, 7, 9) are taken automatically.

It doesn't matter if I like HDR or not, or you guys like it, or whether it's leading to the end of the world, if I don't get him his HDR images he'll just get them from the person that first showed them to him.

Old 07-21-2009   #13
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolohead View Post
Don't buy the M8 for its HDR ability. It would be like using the fine china for a backyard barbeque.
A BBQ is too sophisticated as a comparison with HDR.

I'd say it's like using the fine china for serving nachos.

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.
Together we can combat bandwidth waste (and image scrolling).

My Flickr | (one of) My Portfolio

Old 07-21-2009   #14
Ronald_H
Don't call me Ron

I like doing HDR. Not for the cartoon effect, but to get what a single frame can't capture, dynamic range wise. Museum photos froma tripod for example

The 'Oh God no, it's an abominaton' attitude is to be expected from people who still live in the fifties, a.k.a Leica purists. Small wonder most of them still refuse to shoot in color.

Anyway, I don't own a M8, I use a D200 for HDR. But putting film in the M2 is pretty HDR too

My Flickr

My regular website: www.lookupinwonder.nl

Old 07-21-2009   #15
dfoo

What is this "color" you speak of?

Some of my work - http://silverprint.posterous.com/

Old 07-21-2009   #16
Jamie123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald_H View Post
I like doing HDR. Not for the cartoon effect, but to get what a single frame can't capture, dynamic range wise. Museum photos froma tripod for example

The 'Oh God no, it's an abominaton' attitude is to be expected from people who still live in the fifties, a.k.a Leica purists. Small wonder most of them still refuse to shoot in color.

Anyway, I don't own a M8, I use a D200 for HDR. But putting film in the M2 is pretty HDR too

I actually much prefer color to bw, love photoshop and don't own a Leica. But I did get a 5D II yesterday (so much for the "purist" in me). Nevertheless, HDR makes my eyes vomit.

I read the "HDR done right" argument all the time. But the thing is that people who use this technique with the required subtlety in order to cope with a wide dynamic range in a scene usually don't refer to it as HDR unless they're trying to make an argument.

Old 07-22-2009   #17
tritiated

Why not just use what works for you already?

Old 07-22-2009   #18
Ronald_H
Don't call me Ron

As I said. not for the effect, but to capture the scene better:

My Flickr

My regular website: www.lookupinwonder.nl

Old 07-22-2009   #19
Thardy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie123 View Post
But the thing is that people who use this technique with the required subtlety in order to cope with a wide dynamic range in a scene usually don't refer to it as HDR unless they're trying to make an argument.

That's true. On Pnet a thread was started about the cartoonish look of HDR and people came out of the woodwork showing many, many great looking shots that had subtle HDR treatment. The shots above are just what I'm talking about.

But , I think there are some people who are going for that surreal look. To each his own.

Flickr

Tumblr

Last edited by Thardy : 07-22-2009 at 02:49.

Old 07-22-2009   #20
gdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemyers View Post
See: http://www.hdrsoft.com/ for examples...
I wonder what a Draganized HDR image would look like....

Old 07-22-2009   #21
dmr
Registered Abuser

Don't laugh, but I've been playing around with HDR using bracketed Kodachrome exposures.

About the only down-side I know of to Kodachrome is the high contrast and limited dynamic range.

I don't have any "ready for prime-time" images yet, but I have been playing around with it using shots of a scene I took a few weeks back.

Before anyone throws up, I do agree that HDR is misused more than it is used effectively, and that many so-called HDR images look unrealistic, even cartoonish. That's not my intent here.

Old 07-22-2009   #22
uhligfd

Ok, someone clue me in: how to do multiple exposures (of exactly the same pic) hand-held?

I am silly, but do we not have to have the same scene, angles, ... from shot to shot for HDR to work?

And once you put your leica, beica or meica - or any camera - on a tripod for a static scene, changing shutter speeds in predetermined over- underexposure settings should be a cinch in manual.

Even if the camera does not have bracketing automation. Setting up the tripod will easily be more cumbersome than over- and underexposing a couple of times.

Old 07-22-2009   #23
dmr
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhligfd View Post
I am silly, but do we not have to have the same scene, angles, ... from shot to shot for HDR to work?
Uh-huh, you sure do.

There's also a problem with "ghosting" where something moves from frame to frame. Some of the cookie-cutter HDR programs supposedly correct for this.

Quote:
And once you put your leica, beica or meica - or any camera - on a tripod for a static scene, changing shutter speeds in predetermined over- underexposure settings should be a cinch in manual.
Yes, it's actually quite simple in theory, take 4-5 shots each at a different shutter speed. I took all at the same F stop so that the DOF and such would be consistent from frame to frame.

Quote:
Even if the camera does not have bracketing automation. Setting up the tripod will easily be more cumbersome than over- and underexposing a couple of times.
Tripods are a pain! My Kodachrome HDR thing will probably be a one-time only project. I probably stood out there (park, buildings in the background, lagoon in the foreground with reflections) for 1/2 hour from start to finish. I used a hand-held light meter and did over and under exposures accordingly.

Old 07-22-2009   #24
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald_H View Post
I must've been born when my parents were in 2nd grade in school

I also didn't know that living in the fifties meant being a Leica purist. Is it fair to say that the "Oh God no, it's a Leica purist" attitude is to be expected from people who live in a Thomas Kinkade print a.k.a. Nikon refinists?

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.
Together we can combat bandwidth waste (and image scrolling).

My Flickr | (one of) My Portfolio

Old 07-22-2009   #25
Michael Da Re

If your just interested in seeing what a photo would look like in HDR. I recommend a program called Dynamic Photo HDR. It allows you to create a pseudo hdr image from a single .jpg.

Both of these photos were made from a single image. Believe it or not I took them with my cellphone.
hdr1.jpg

hdr2.jpg

Michael

Old 07-23-2009   #26
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Quote:
No, I think what he meant was that hdr is an abomination and that the world doesn't need more of it.

Btw, I may be wrong but I suspect that once the number of hdr pictures in the world has reached a critical mass, it will create a black hole that will destroy the universe.

A strange attitude to something that is basically an extension of the basic darkroom technique of burning and dodging. Why don't you want to burn all gradient filters too? The dodge/burn tool of CS3 is so lame that one often has to resort to HDR techniques. I hardly ever get any comment on it in images I post. Fortunately CS4 is a lot better, because it is time consuming.

jaapvphotography

Last edited by jaapv : 07-23-2009 at 00:23.

Old 07-23-2009   #27
JNewell
Leica M Recidivist

Quote:

I guess we're going to have to take away your PC and software, as well as your enlarger, dodging/burning tools, etc.??? I don't see the issue here.

Jus kidd'n
Old 07-23-2009   #28
skibeerr

Jus kidd'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNewell View Post
I don't see the issue here.
What, you do not see the fruit of their loins?

Old 07-23-2009   #29
MinorTones

http://www.lonelywolf.pl/

These all look very natural and they are done with HDR software.

They are not mine.

My Blogspot

My Flickr

Old 07-24-2009   #30
ruslan

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemyers View Post
One of the things I like to do with my cameras is take HDR photos. That's where you take 3, 5, or 7 shots of the same thing, bracketing the exposure. There is special software that puts the final image together, using the best parts of each of the images.

Does the M8 have bracketing? How many shots in a row can it take? Can I do this in "burst" mode?

There's no need to see the images on the LCD. Since I know I can't vary the aperture automatically, can it do this by varying the shutter speed?

If the M8 can not do it, I'll continue to use the D2h and D3 series cameras, that do this perfectly.
Any camera with manual control can do HDR, D3 is a better camera. Many people don't know how to use HDR, even how to use tripod

Old 07-24-2009   #31
Ronald M

HDR looks bad only if you make it look like a cartoon. It does not have to be done that way even if you resort to the programs for help.

If you have a tripod hole and can turn the shutter speed dial, you can do HDR. Just no more cartoons please.