Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Cameras in the Movies / TV / Media

Cameras in the Movies / TV / Media If you are a photographer, it's difficult not to appreciate movies too. In this forum you can discuss movies, as well as the cameras used in them. What camera used in what film / TV show etc has long been a topic of discussion at RFF. Whether the Exakta and 400mm Kilfitt lens in Hitchcock's Rear Window or the Nikons in Eastwood's Bridges of Madison County, cameras are tools which reflect the time and technology of the film.

bride and groom shoot wedding photographer
Old 07-28-2010   #1
lynnb

bride and groom shoot wedding photographer

moral of the story - never suggest the bride and groom pose with a firearm without first checking that it's unloaded!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...t-wedding.html
Flickr

Old 07-28-2010   #2
Roger Hicks

Darwin...

Cheers,

R.

Old 07-28-2010   #3
RayPA
Ignore It (It'll go away)

fatal twist in camera/gun relationship!
I'm ~quinine~ on Flickr
blogged

Old 07-28-2010   #4
cmdrzed
wallflower

From the headline, one would think the photographer was already dead.

Quote:
Bride and groom accidentally shot dead photographer while posing with gun

Old 07-28-2010   #5
Nikkor AIS
Nikkor AIS

Bad headline, sad tale.

Old 07-28-2010   #6
oftheherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrzed View Post
From the headline, one would think the photographer was already dead.
My thought when I read it as well. Still, a tragedy. Omerta works in a lot of places in the world. Some times it is called a desire not to be involved and have to testify.

JSU has a point as well. When I was young, and where I grew up, that is what everyone was taught, from kids on up. There were few accidents with a gun.

Old 07-28-2010   #7
KenR

Isn't there a rule about not pointing guns at anything but the floor unless you're prepared to use it?

Old 07-28-2010   #8
charjohncarter

My mother said,'Never play with guns.'

Old 07-28-2010   #9
Nigel Meaby

Shotgun wedding? Seriously, though that's a real tragedy. 45yr old married with children.

Old 07-28-2010   #10
John Lawrence

What a tragedy.

John

Old 07-28-2010   #11
anu L ogy

I think its worth considering that the bride and groom were probably wrapped up in happiness over the fact that this was their wedding day. Find me a couple who has the presence of mind to check that a gun that is handed to them isn't loaded on their wedding day - I know I would have overlooked this. Tragic accident.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/anulogy/

Old 07-28-2010   #12
Nikon Bob
camera hunter & gatherer

Still mopping my coffee up. Appears common sense in handling firearms is not always so common. Still, a tragedy for the photogs family.

Bob

Old 07-28-2010   #13
anu L ogy

JSU - I see your point. I too wouldnt pose with a gun on my wedding day - the idea is just stupidity to me. Furthermore, I agree it was foolish to have your finger anywhere near the trigger. However, I think if someone handed me a gun during my wedding pics I may forget to check if its loaded, esoecially if the gun came from my parents who had a lot of experience handling guns. I do disagree with the statement about the knife. Throwing the knife at the photographer would have been intentional as knifes arent projectile weapons (normally), where a gun is a projectile weapon, and thus firing it at someone could be accidental.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/anulogy/

Old 07-28-2010   #14
Roger Hicks

Definitely Darwin. Definitely a tragedy too, but HE should have checked, never mind the couple. You never rely on anyone else if there's a choice. If someone is pointing a gun at me, I want to be SURE it's not loaded.

Cheers,

R.

Old 07-28-2010   #15
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

Another reason not to shoot weddings (with camera, that is).

Roger, I completely agree!

I write vintage gear reviews on www.johanniels.com |

flickr | instagram |

Old 07-28-2010   #16
tlitody

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu L ogy View Post
I think its worth considering that the bride and groom were probably wrapped up in happiness over the fact that this was their wedding day. Find me a couple who has the presence of mind to check that a gun that is handed to them isn't loaded on their wedding day - I know I would have overlooked this. Tragic accident.
Oh well that's all right then. They are absolved of all resposibility for pointing the gun at him and pulling the trigger because it's their wedding day. It's just his bad luck. I'll suggest the european parliament intoduces a law stating that everyone is absolved of all responsibility for killing on their wedding day providing they claim that they were in la la land due to the excitement. I guess its like being paralytic drunk and claiming diminished responsibility for what you do. Unfortunately that doesn't work because you made the choice to get drunk just like they made the choice to get married and made the choice to point the gun and made the choice to pull the trigger. Sure it would have been better if they had pointed it at the idiot who gave it to them but if you pick up a gun you are responsible regardless and everyone knows that.

Why the hell does anyone need to have a gun at their wedding day let alone photographing the bride and groom with one. I guess I just know nothing about Italian culture and frankly I'm not sure I want to either.

Last edited by tlitody : 07-28-2010 at 08:46.

Old 07-28-2010   #17
oftheherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
Definitely Darwin. Definitely a tragedy too, but HE should have checked, never mind the couple. You never rely on anyone else if there's a choice. If someone is pointing a gun at me, I want to be SURE it's not loaded.

Cheers,

R.
Kind of have to agree. I don't feel comfortable having guns pointed anywhere in my general direction, even if I know they aren't loaded. Accidents happen. People make mistakes. I don't want weapons pointed my way if an accident is going to happen. Of course I understand this was a culteral thing to have the rifle at the wedding. All the more reason to be careful IMHO.

Old 07-28-2010   #18
swoop

Apparently the photographer was asking for the image of them posing with the gun. They were probably loaded to be fired after the ceremony, he saw hem laying there and thought it would be a fun picture, and things went wrong. I know a lot of wedding photographers ask for ridiculous uncomfortable things out of their clients. And more often than not they're just stupid pictures. This one just happened to end in tragedy.

Last edited by swoop : 07-28-2010 at 09:01.

Old 07-28-2010   #19
Michael Da Re

Stupid and unfortunate tragedy, but who hunts wild boar with a .22?

Old 07-28-2010   #20
coelacanth
Ride, dive, shoot.

When I saw the thread title, I thought "the couple were good photographers and their photos of the photographer shooting the wedding came out better than the wedding photo" kind of thing. Oh no, no, sir! Don't know how the rifle went off, but no matter you think it's loaded or not, never aim at people or pull trigger unless you intend to kill the person.

b/w guy.

flickr | Instagram

yeah
Old 07-28-2010   #21
ampguy

yeah

something's fishy with this story, possibly the wedding/photo thing was a cover up ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Da Re View Post
Stupid and unfortunate tragedy, but who hunts wild boar with a .22?

sounds nice
Old 07-28-2010   #22
ampguy

sounds nice

sounds like a fine rule, maybe another one would be to avoid pulling the trigger unless you mean to do some damage ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenR View Post
Isn't there a rule about not pointing guns at anything but the floor unless you're prepared to use it?

Old 07-28-2010   #23
nikon_sam
Shooter of Film...

Anyone want to shoot an Italian wedding next weekend...you know they'll be looking for a new photographer soon...
pf

perhaps
Old 07-28-2010   #24
ampguy

perhaps

you should offer to have the prints made at Costco sp. this time, instead of some homebrewed inkjet contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon_sam View Post
Anyone want to shoot an Italian wedding next weekend...you know they'll be looking for a new photographer soon...

Old 07-28-2010   #25
Michael Da Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampguy View Post
something's fishy with this story, possibly the wedding/photo thing was a cover up ...
Agreed. There's much more to this than is being printed.

Old 07-28-2010   #26
semilog
curmudgeonly optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSU View Post
Darwin may still be a consideration as the photographer exercised questionable judgement at best and perhaps outright stupidity allowing anyone to point a firearm at him.
Do not. Blame. The victim.

Knowledge of firearms safety should not be a prerequisite for not getting shot by someone else. Culpability ultimately rests on one person, and one person only: the one who discharged the weapon.

semilog.smugmug.com | flickr.com/photos/semilog/

Last edited by semilog : 07-28-2010 at 10:14.

Old 07-28-2010   #27
paulfish4570

All guns are loaded, period, unless proven otherwise.
What a tragedy ...

Old 07-28-2010   #28
dmr
Registered Abuser

See, I told you I had good reasons to never, ever photograph a wedding!

(This sounds like it should be in the Weekly World News.) <semi grin>

Old 07-28-2010   #29
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by semilog View Post
Do not. Blame. The victim.

Knowledge of firearms safety should not be a prerequisite for not getting shot by someone else. Culpability ultimately rests on one person, and one person only: the one who discharged the weapon.
Blame. The victim. If. It was. His stupid idea.

Even if it wasn't, anyone who invites anyone to point a firearm at him wthout checking it HIMSELF is all but asking to get shot.

I've only ever had a firearm pointed at me once 'in anger'.That was in Bermuda in the 1960s - a US Marine on guard duty who'd not been back long from Vietnam, and who would probably go back on his next tour of duty. The gun may not have been loaded. I don't know now and I sure as hell didn't know then. I've been a bit nervous about looking down a gun barrel ever since.

And yes, I own firearms; am comfortable around them (when they are handled properly); and have handled them myself since about 1964. If I am around people who DON'T handle them properly, it is my responsibility to make sure they do. Paul has it. You presume all guns to be loaded until YOU know they aren't.

Cheers,

R.

Old 07-28-2010   #30
BillBingham2

Strange day in deed. I agree with Roger and Double Negative.

I bet the courts will agree that it's the person who pulled the trigger but I hope they have some sort of accidental homicide over there. I have not seen a lot of the Italian justice system but from what I have they seem pretty hard.

Very sad on so many levels.

B2 (;-<

Old 07-28-2010   #31
BillBingham2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
.....You presume all guns to be loaded until YOU know they aren't.

Cheers,

R.
Basic gun rule #1.

Rule #2 is never point a gun at something you would not shoot.

B2 (;-<

Old 07-28-2010   #32
Brian Sweeney

Don't go to weddings in Sicily.

From reading some of the accounts, injuries from guns and fireworks are not uncommon.

If you suggest that someone pose with a gun, for a photograph that you are taking, bring your own props. I suggest squirt gun bought from a reliable vendor like Toys R Us.

Old 07-28-2010   #33
nikon_sam
Shooter of Film...

I've never had a gun pointed at me and would never want one...but I did have a rear tire shot out while drive home late one night...it pierced the rear tire and blew a chunk out of the aluminum wheel...the cop said it looked like a .44 or .45
Now, that wasn't too cool...maybe I did have a gun pointed at me...
pf

Old 07-28-2010   #34
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon_sam View Post
I've never had a gun pointed at me and would never want one...but I did have a rear tire shot out while drive home late one night...it pierced the rear tire and blew a chunk out of the aluminum wheel...the cop said it looked like a .44 or .45
Now, that wasn't too cool...maybe I did have a gun pointed at me...
In the realms of Pointless Firearms Knowledge, a .44 magnum is far likelier than a .45.How do I know...?

Well, I was talking to a cop (a fellow motorcyclist) once about a Harley-Davidson sales drive in the UK. He had been assigned to test it. He said he felt a complete prat riding the thing, but that what really annoyed him was that they were claiming 'bulletproof tyres that couldn't be shot out'.

As well as being a motorcycle cop he was firearms qualified and had been taught that trying to shoot out a tyre with any normal handgun at any normal range was a waste of time. You need a VERY powerful pistol; or VERY close range; or a rifle.

Cheers,

R.

Old 07-28-2010   #35
Fujitsu
-

Quote:
... Right...

Old 07-28-2010   #36
Brian Sweeney

It will be an interesting postscript to see how this plays out. As it was the photographer's idea for the photograph, and he is dead, it will be fairly easy to call this an unfortunate accident. I doubt the bride will spend time in jail over it. If the groom pulled the trigger for the fatal shot, maybe less so of a chance of going off without a token sentence.

But all of this is idle speculation based on a short newspaper account in a British paper over an event that happened in Sicily. About all one can really do is learn from it.

Old 07-28-2010   #37
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Dear Ken,

Or, apparently, the ceiling. At Heathrow Airport you get (or got) armed cops and armed soldiers, both carrying submachine guns. One lot pointed their guns up; the other, down. I forget which was which. I asked one of them (a cop, I think) why they had different ports. He shrugged and said something to the effect that it was a question of training.

Cheers,

R.

Old 07-28-2010   #38
Brian Sweeney

My Father taught me to aim a loaded gun at the ground, safety ON, and uncocked. If it discharges into the air, it has to come down somewhere. Might be on someone. Fire at the ground, it can ricochet- but he felt more comfortable with that. He taught me this when I was 8, going out hunting with him.

Old 07-28-2010   #39
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Negative View Post
I prefer a .50 cal to the engine block. You can still drive around on a flat.
It's a bugger to get in your pocket, though. And half a dozen rounds are quite bulky and heavy.

You can still drive with a perforated cooling jacket (and that's all the damage it's likely to do). Just not very far. Probably far enough, though. You're not going to be all that worried about seizing the engine, are you?

Cheers,

R.

Old 07-28-2010   #40
ampguy

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli" ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Sweeney View Post
It will be an interesting postscript to see how this plays out. As it was the photographer's idea for the photograph, and he is dead, it will be fairly easy to call this an unfortunate accident. I doubt the bride will spend time in jail over it. If the groom pulled the trigger for the fatal shot, maybe less so of a chance of going off without a token sentence.

But all of this is idle speculation based on a short newspaper account in a British paper over an event that happened in Sicily. About all one can really do is learn from it.