Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Chris Crawford

Chris Crawford I am pleased to announced a long time member has agreed to help and mentor others in photographic technique. As he has long done so, perhaps this forum is a bit overdue. Christopher Crawford has been a professional artist and photographer for 20 years, most of that time spent documenting life in northern Indiana with his photographs and the stories that he writes to accompany them. In addition, Chris also creates tutorials where he teaches photography techniques, film processing, digital editing, film scanning, and printing. Ask Chris your technical questions, or to critique your photos. You can see more of his tutorials at http://crawfordphotoschool.com

Old 01-26-2013   #401
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Thanks, Helen. I'm scanning a lot of old stuff from my archives that I never got done in years past because of school and life getting in the way. Business has been slow so I'm using the time to catch up a little....some of these are over ten years old!

Old 01-26-2013   #402
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This unusual light hangs on the front of an abandoned bar behind the bridge in the small town of Corunna, Indiana.

Old 01-26-2013   #403
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This is from the trip I made to New Mexico back in August, 2011. This is the San Jon Motel on old Route 66 in San Jon, New Mexico. It was about the only business left in the town.

Old 01-28-2013   #404
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

My grandfather, John Westerfield, used to own a cottage on Goose Lake in Whitley County. This pier belonged to his neighbor, who kept this chair hanging from the posts of the pier to keep it from floating off when the lake would flood.

Old 01-28-2013   #405
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This barn sits behind an abandoned house on Washington Center Road, in northwest Allen County. The owners lived in a new house built next to the old one, which they simply abandoned.

Old 01-30-2013   #406
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This is the Pleasant Township #3 School on Smith Road, across the street from Fort Wayne International Airport, in rural Allen County. I discovered this place when I was in high school, and continued photographing it over the years until it was torn down in 2005. The old farmer who owned it took a look at my long hair and asked me if I was a boy or a girl when I asked him for permission to photograph it!

I was never satisfied with most of the photographs I made of this place, because it is set so close to the road. This is one of the last photographs I made of it. It had deteriorated considerably since the day I first found it a decade earlier. There used to be a limestone medallion above the door arch that had the name of the school, the date of construction (1898), and the name of the township trustee.

Old 01-31-2013   #407
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

I made this portrait of a friend from college back in 1995.

Old 02-01-2013   #408
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Nearly 20 years ago, in September 1993, Saint Mary's Catholic Church was struck by lightning and burned down. The 19th Century brick church in downtown Fort Wayne was completely destroyed, except for the outside walls.

The walls were preserved for a while because the church considered using them to rebuild the church, but in the end they were demolished and the ugliest most godawful building replaced the old church, once one of the most beautiful in the city. The sandbags in the window are weighing down a tarp on top of the brick walls.

I made this photo in early 1994.

Old 02-01-2013   #409
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Grandpa's evil little grey cat, Molly, stands on the old metal chairs looking for something to kill while the dog runs in the backyard. Shot in the late 1990s. Molly lived until 2010.

Old 02-02-2013   #410
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

A view from the pulpit, looking out at the empty pews in the old 1851 church in the Prairie rove Cemetery in the Waynedale area of Fort Wayne, Indiana. The rope hanging in the background was used to ring the church bell.

Old 02-02-2013   #411
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This is an early one. I photographed this amaryllis flower at the Foellinger-Freimann Botanical Conservatory in Fort Wayne when I was 15 years old! I entered it in a flower photography contest sponsored by the botanical conservatory that year, and won first place, which was a gift certificate to a local camera store. I used it to buy the Bogen (Manfrotto) tripod that I still use every day, 22 years later!

Old 02-02-2013   #412
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

When I was younger, grandpa and grandma had a lot of cats. As many as 25 at a time patrolled his 3 acre yard in rural southwest Allen County, Indiana. The one sitting upright was named George. One of the younger kids in the family named her without knowing that the cat was female. George, who was almost constantly pregnant, was the mother of most of the other cats. I shot this in 1994, when I was in high school.

Old 02-03-2013   #413
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This little white house is on Lafayette Street, just north of Pettit Avenue, in Fort Wayne, Indiana's inner city. There are a lot of houses in Fort Wayne that have big American flags hanging over the front doors. Most are small houses in older neighborhoods, like this one.

I shot it yesterday afternoon.

Old 02-08-2013   #414
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

An old man's house on the Whitley County side of County Line Road in Dunfee, Indiana. This man's yard was filled with statues of the Virgin Mary and Saint Joseph. A stained glass image of Mary hangs in the window. The owner said he'd lived there for more than 50 years.

I shot this back in 2003 with one of the most interesting cameras in my
little collection, a Seagull DF-1. A lot of people are familiar with the
Seagull TLRs, because they began to be imported into the USA around 2000,
but this is not one of the well-known TLRs. The DF-1 is a 35mm SLR, based on
an old Minolta, the meterless SR-2. The Seagull also lacks a meter, and is
primitive in its construction. It feels like it will fall apart when you use
it, but it has worked perfectly the 10 years that I have owned it. The 50mm
f2 lens that came with it is an excellent lens. The exterior cosmetics look
like a clone of a Pentax M-Series K-mount lens, but I do not know what the
optics are based on. The mount is Minolta, not Pentax, despite the
appearance of the lens!

Old 02-10-2013   #415
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

A forgotten baby stroller in the snow next to one of the old barns behind an abandoned farmhouse on Washington Center Road in rural Allen County, Indiana. The barn has since partially collapsed. I shot the photo in 2001, and finally finished editing the scan tonight.

Old 02-11-2013   #416
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

The pews on the north side of the Prairie Grove Chapel in 2001. The church was abandoned when this photograph was made. This part of the building was damaged by arson in early 2008.

Old 02-13-2013   #417
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

These wires were stapled to the side of my grandpa's house many years ago, when he got cable TV installed. I photographed them in 1998.

Old 02-13-2013   #418
robklurfield
eclipse

This one and the Sandy Can Stop the Drought are especially nice,.

This one would be great even if we had no idea who the subject was; but that it was your grandpa just makes it all that much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post

My grandpa, Charles Crawford, showing off the baseball cap and coffee cup that he got from Coney Island, a hot dog restaurant downtown. It is the oldest restaurant in Fort Wayne, having been open in the same building since 1914. Grandpa said his dad used to take him there to eat when he was a young boy, and grandpa took me there often as well.

I shot this in 2001, and finally got the film scanned yesterday. Grandpa died in 2010.

blog: http://hemi-sphericalaberration.blogspot.com/

google +: gplus.to/robklurfield

"I'm sure it wouldn't interest anybody
outside of a small circle of friends." - Phil Ochs

"His photos are saturated with obviousness, mental inertia, clichés and bad jokes." -http://www.500letters.org/form_15.php

I point. I shoot. sometimes, I focus first.

Old 02-14-2013   #419
dabick42
-

@ Chris C ...

I for one am very glad that you're making headway in scanning what must be an impressive backlog of old photographs, Chris !

Your input to RFF is definately a major highlight.

Many thanks for the visual pleasure you give us...

Old 02-14-2013   #420
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabick42 View Post
@ Chris C ...

I for one am very glad that you're making headway in scanning what must be an impressive backlog of old photographs, Chris !

Your input to RFF is definately a major highlight.

Many thanks for the visual pleasure you give us...
Thanks. I've been doing photography all of my life, since I was about 8 years old...it is my life.

Old 02-14-2013   #421
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This abandoned storefront on West Main Street in Fort Wayne has been been boarded up like this as long as I can remember. I wonder what kind of store operated here a century ago? The building was painted a depressing gray while I was in Santa Fe. I like it better in white. I made this photo in 2001.

Old 02-14-2013   #422
--s
-

you´re bringing together local and personal history and photography in a super interesting way. love your thread!

Old 02-14-2013   #423
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightmp View Post
you´re bringing together local and personal history and photography in a super interesting way. love your thread!
Thanks.

Old 02-17-2013   #424
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Another from my archives. I made this photograph of the old 1851 church in the Prairie Grove Cemetery in the Waynedale area of Fort Wayne back in 2001. The chimney was a later addition, and it was removed when the building was restored to its original 1851 condition a few years ago.

Old 02-19-2013   #425
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

The abandoned Sears store at Southtown Mall in Fort Wayne, Indiana. Photographed in August, 2003, a year before Southtown was demolished in 2004. A Walmart store and a Menard's home improvement store now occupy the old Southtown Mall site.

Old 02-26-2013   #426
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Finally shot something new, been pretty busy the last couple weeks. This is the same farmer's drive that I shot last fall in a heavy fog. I shot this one Saturday.

Here's the fog photo from last fall:

Old 02-27-2013   #427
jsrockit

Fog photo is beautiful Chris.

Old 02-28-2013   #428
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This was the old Maloley's Grocery Store building at the corner of Lower Huntington Road and Old Trail Road in the Waynedale area of Fort Wayne. Maloley's went out of business when I was a child, and this location later became a Walgreen's drug store, as did the former Maloley's stores on Creighton Avenue and Sherman Boulevard.

In the 1990s, Walgreen's moved the Waynedale store to a new building down the street. The old building briefly housed a flea market called Shopper's World. After it closed, part of the building was demolished as part of a renovation of the property.

This door was originally inside the building, but it was on the side after the room it led to was demolished. What was left of the building was remodeled into a modern office and retail building, and it is now home to an Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles office.

I photographed it back in 2003, and finally added it to my website today.

Old 03-02-2013   #429
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

I found this torn up, moldy, old telephone book on the front steps of an abandoned house in Dunfee, Indiana. It was on the Whitley County side of West County Line Road (CR 800E), next to Grover Schinbeckler's house. It has since been demolished. I shot it in August, 2003.

Old 03-10-2013   #430
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This tire swing hangs fron a lone tree behind Custom Truck, Inc. on Indianapolis Road in southwest Allen County, Indiana. The business's owners live in a house next to the shop.

This place is right across the street from the farm with the long tree-lined drive that I photographed in the fog several months ago. I made this photograph last Wednesday.

Old 03-10-2013   #431
helenhill
Chasing Shadows & Light

Great to see 'the Farmers Drive'
both versions are Splendid...Atmospheric !

Old 03-10-2013   #432
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
Great to see 'the Farmers Drive'
both versions are Splendid...Atmospheric !
Thanks Helen. I love going back to the same places over and over through the years and in different seasons to see how they change.

Old 03-11-2013   #433
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post
Another great one Chris.

Old 03-11-2013   #434
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Here's another one of the tire swing.

Old 03-13-2013   #435
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This tank trailer sits at the foot of the gigantic mountain of overburden from the Hanson Limestone Quarry on Ardmore Avenue in the Waynedale area of Fort Wayne. Several years ago, The Waynedale News christened the pile of dirt and stone "Mount Waynedale."

I photographed it last weekend.

Old 03-18-2013   #436
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Saturday afternoon, I drive down to Muncie, Indiana, and bought a used Mamiya 6MF with 75mm lens from Jack's Camera. I've wanted one of these since I was a teenager, and finally had the money to get one. The lens is INCREDIBLY sharp, better than the 80mm CF-Planar on my Hasselblad, and I can handhold this camera. I'm actually thinking of selling my Hassy kit and buying the other two Mamiya 6 lenses.

Here's my first photo from it.

This beautiful wicker swing hangs from a tree in front of the barn at the Horney Robinson farm on Lower Huntington Road, west of Coverdale Road, in rural Allen County, Indiana. The barn was built in 1845, according to the woman who now owns it.

Old 03-18-2013   #437
Kenj8246

Wonderful shot, Chris. I've been wanting a Mamiya 6 myself but the prices are daunting, to say the very least. Oh well...

Kenny

Old 03-19-2013   #438
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenj8246 View Post
Wonderful shot, Chris. I've been wanting a Mamiya 6 myself but the prices are daunting, to say the very least. Oh well...

Kenny
Compared to a Leica M6, the Mamiya 6 was cheap. It cost about the same as a nice Hasselblad with 80mm lens and one back, but Mamiya's other lenses are A LOT less than Hasselblad lenses are.

Old 03-19-2013   #439
v_roma

Lots of great photos since I last checked in, Chris!

Old 03-20-2013   #440
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This tire swing hangs fron a lone tree behind Custom Truck, Inc. on Indianapolis Road in southwest Allen County, Indiana. The business's owners live in a house next to the shop.

I photographed it the first time after a heavy snowfall about a week before I made this one. The snow was gone this time, but the day was very foggy with a drizzle of rain.

I made this photo a couple days ago.