Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Chris Crawford

Chris Crawford I am pleased to announced a long time member has agreed to help and mentor others in photographic technique. As he has long done so, perhaps this forum is a bit overdue. Christopher Crawford has been a professional artist and photographer for 20 years, most of that time spent documenting life in northern Indiana with his photographs and the stories that he writes to accompany them. In addition, Chris also creates tutorials where he teaches photography techniques, film processing, digital editing, film scanning, and printing. Ask Chris your technical questions, or to critique your photos. You can see more of his tutorials at http://crawfordphotoschool.com

Old 10-27-2017   #2001
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

A couple days ago, I came upon this scene in downtown Fort Wayne.

This inflatable tube man, or air dancer, looks like a monster or ghost. It was standing in the parking lot behind Stoner's Funstore, advertising the Halloween costumes sold by the store. When I made this photograph, the wind had blown it over for a few seconds, making it appear to be attacking the SUV parked next to it!

Stoner's was founded in 1949 by local magician Dick Stoner in downtown Fort Wayne, Indiana. They sell a huge variety of costumes as well as equipment for magicians.

Old 10-28-2017   #2002
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Here's a snapshot I did recently of Ariana Thompson, the young woman I have been helping to learn photography. I've known her since she was born; her father is one of my oldest friends. She's the same age as my son, 20.

This portrait was done at night with just the light from a nearby street light and the porch light on her house. I had to shoot it at ISO-6400!

You can see some of her work and read her story on the RFF thread that I started about her last month:

Ariana's Photos: Mentoring a Young Photographer

Old 10-30-2017   #2003
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

The graffiti of three dogs covering the side of this railcar caught my eye as I was driving down Taylor Street, between Broadway and Fairfield Avenue, in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

I am always amazed to see railroad cars that have such enormous pieces of graffiti art painted on them. To cover the entire side of one of these autorack cars must take a lot of time, as well as ladders, supplies, etc. How the Heck does someone pull this off without getting caught??

I used this photo for one of my Lightroom tutorial videos, showing how I processed it in Lightroom from beginning to end. You can watch it here:

https://youtu.be/ApC-5VzW-FM

Old 11-01-2017   #2004
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This is the original entrance to Elmhurst High School on Ardmore Avenue in Fort Wayne, Indiana. I photographed it on rainy morning back in September.

When the school opened in 1929, it was a much smaller building than it is today. It was expanded several times over the years into a modern large high school. You can see the different architectural styles of the different parts, since no effort was made to make the new additions match the look of the older parts.

This is the original part of the school. Fort Wayne originally had several schools built to this same design. All have been closed, and only one other one (Hillcrest School on Tillman Road) has escaped demolition.

In 2010, Fort Wayne Community Schools closed Elmhurst High School. In August of 2012, FWCS auctioned off the furniture and equipment in the building.

In August, 2017, FWCS announced that the school property had been sold to Hanson Aggregates, the limestone quarry located behind the school. Hanson intends to demolish the school. Soon after I made this photograph, a chain-link fence was built around the school to keep people away from the building.

I graduated from Elmhurst in 1994. My parents both graduated from Elmhurst in the late 1960s. It was Elmhurst's longtime art teacher, Don Goss (also an Elmhurst grad), who encouraged me to become a professional artist.

Old 11-03-2017   #2005
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Another photo of the sunflowers that grew next to my driveway this summer.

Old 11-03-2017   #2006
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

The Man Cave Barber Shop is on Jackson Street in the small town of Monroe, Indiana. Monroe is in Adams County, a few miles south of Decatur. I photographed it a couple weeks ago.

Like the "Main Streets" in many small Indiana towns, Jackson Street in Monroe is still lined with beautiful old commercial buildings like this one.

Old 11-04-2017   #2007
robert blu
quiet photographer

Beautiful this Barber Shop photo! I like the small plants in the window.
robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 11-04-2017   #2008
albertospa

Congratulations for your job. Your photographs make sense if you show them all together because they tell the story of a land.

website https://www.albertospa.com/

flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/albertospa/

Old 11-04-2017   #2009
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Thanks Robert and Alberto.

I've been documenting the place I live for over 20 years!

Old 11-04-2017   #2010
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This tiny brick building was once a bank. It is on the south side of County Road 142, just west of County Road 13, in Foraker, Indiana. I photographed it on a winter evening shortly before sunset.

Foraker isn't really a town; it is just a crossroads in rural Elkhart County with a few houses and a couple of agricultural businesses.

I don't know how old the bank building is, what the bank was called, or when it closed. It is hard to believe that the town could have ever supported a bank.

I have seen and photographed small former bank buildings in several other very small Indiana towns; in the past they must have been much larger and more prosperous places than they are today.

I made this photograph back in January.

Old 11-05-2017   #2011
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Nice building!

Old 11-06-2017   #2012
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Saturday evening was rainy and foggy in he part of Indiana where I live. I made this photograph near the entrance to Fox Island County Park, a nature preserve in rural southwest Allen County, Indiana.

Old 11-07-2017   #2013
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This chair with a frowny face painted on it sits in front of the Fort Wayne Fire Department's Station #10 at the corner of Anthony Boulevard and Crescent Avenue.

It has had an interesting history. I photographed it the first time back in 2010, when it had a happy face painted on it. One of the firemen who worked there at the time told me that one of the men had painted the face on the yellow chair.

In 2011, the chair was painted over with a dull flat brown paint, with no face. It stayed that way until fall of 2017, when it went back to yellow. This time with a frowning face wearing glasses!

I made this photograph yesterday afternoon.

Old 11-08-2017   #2014
robert blu
quiet photographer

It's not only the quality of your photography which always surprises me, but also your ability to pick up small and interesting stories around you. Great!
robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 11-08-2017   #2015
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert blu View Post
It's not only the quality of your photography which always surprises me, but also your ability to pick up small and interesting stories around you. Great!
robert

Thanks, Robert.

It comes from knowing my community and being observant. So many people don't notice this stuff because they go through life without actually looking at and thinking about what is happening around them.

I've shown my photos to people many times over the years where I'll have the person ask: "Where is that at?" I tell them and they say: "I have driven down that road for 20 years and never noticed that place!"

Old 11-09-2017   #2016
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This is the northeast corner of the old Elmhurst High School building in Fort Wayne, Indiana. This is part of one of the later additions to the school that was built in a utilitarian modernist style, unlike the neoclassical style of the older part of the building.

These round false windows are the only decorative elements on this part of the building.

I graduated from Elmhurst High in 1994. The school, which opened in 1929, was closed in 2010. It is going to be demolished very soon.

Old 11-09-2017   #2017
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This house in on Antwerp Drive (State Route 49) in the small town of Hicksville, Ohio. Hicksville is in northwest Ohio, just a couple miles east of the Indiana-Ohio state line.

The three windows on the front of the house and three more on the side of the house all have American flags serving as curtains. The old woman who lives there told me that she bought the flags at Dollar Tree, a retail chain that sells most of its products for one Dollar each.

Old 11-11-2017   #2018
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Old 11-11-2017   #2019
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Here's another photograph of the Unhappy Chair sitting in front of the fire station at the corner of North Anthony and Crescent Avenue in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

Old 11-13-2017   #2020
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Don Goss was my art teacher at Elmhurst High School in Fort Wayne, Indiana. I made this portrait of him in the school's main gym during a final tour of the school given to alumni in 2017.

The school, which opened in 1929, was closed by Fort Wayne Community Schools in 2010. In 2017, they sold the building and land to Hanson Aggregates, which owns the huge limestone quarry next to the school. They plan to demolish the school soon.

I graduated in 1994; when I was a student, Mr. Goss encouraged me to go to art school. I am one of many of his students who went on to become fulltime professional artists.

Mr. Goss is himself an Elmhurst graduate. After he graduated in 1949, he went to the army, then college. After finishing his education, he returned to Elmhurst as a teacher, and remained at the school for 56 years! He retired in 2010 when the school was closed.

He is 86 years old. I made this portrait last Saturday. November 10, 2017.

Old 11-13-2017   #2021
Paulbe

Chris--an excellent, powerful and touching photo--
Thanks for posting...
Paul

Old 11-13-2017   #2022
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbe View Post
Chris--an excellent, powerful and touching photo--
Thanks for posting...
Paul

Thanks, Paul.

Here's what Mr. Goss looked like back in 1994 right before I graduated from high school.

His classroom was awesome. The walls covered in art, some by Mr. Goss, some by his current and former students. It was a huge room full of art and creative kids. Launching place for so many of us.

Old 11-15-2017   #2023
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

All of the lockers at Elmhurst were painted red or gray; the school's colors. The door on one of these was unlatched, so I opened it to see if anything was inside. There was a McDonald's coffee cup and a plastic drink bottle, probably left behind by the last kid who used the locker.

This is one of the photos I made of the inside of my old high school, Elmhurst High School in Fort Wayne, when it was open for alumni to tour last week. As I noted in earlier posts, the school is going to be demolished soon. It opened in 1929 and closed in 2010.

Old 11-15-2017   #2024
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This is one of the trophy cases in the hall outside the doors to the main gymnasium at Elmhurst High.

The trophies won by Elmhurst's sports teams over the decades were all removed when the school closed. The photos, newspaper articles, and other memorabilia on display were loaned by Elmhurst alumni for the farewell tour.

This is one of the photos I made of the inside of my old high school, Elmhurst High School in Fort Wayne, when it was open for alumni to tour last week. As I noted in earlier posts, the school is going to be demolished soon. It opened in 1929 and closed in 2010.

Old 11-18-2017   #2025
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This is a clock in the English Department hall at Elmhurst High School in Fort Wayne, Indiana. I photographed it during a final tour of the school given to alumni in 2017.

The clock, like every clock in the school, was stopped at 2:49. The time when all of the clocks were shut off on the last day of classes when the school closed in 2010.

Old 11-18-2017   #2026
tbhv55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post

This is a clock in the English Department hall at Elmhurst High School in Fort Wayne, Indiana. I photographed it during a final tour of the school given to alumni in 2017.

The clock, like every clock in the school, was stopped at 2:49. The time when all of the clocks were shut off on the last day of classes when the school closed in 2010.
There's something rather poignant about all the clocks being stopped at the same time - even though it's perfectly obvious that they would stop when the power was cut.

Is it possible to rescue the clock in the picture, and find a use for it somewhere? It seems a pity to see it scrapped.

Old 11-18-2017   #2027
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbhv55 View Post
There's something rather poignant about all the clocks being stopped at the same time - even though it's perfectly obvious that they would stop when the power was cut.

Is it possible to rescue the clock in the picture, and find a use for it somewhere? It seems a pity to see it scrapped.

Stuff like that in the school is going to be sold before demolition but i won't buy anything, i am barely surviving now and have no money. Even if they only charged me $5 for it, I couldn't even do that. I suspect it will be sold for far more.

Old 11-18-2017   #2028
tbhv55

Quote:
Stuff like that in the school is going to be sold before demolition but i won't buy anything, i am barely surviving now and have no money. Even if they only charged me $5 for it, I couldn't even do that. I suspect it will be sold for far more.
Sorry that you're not in a position to buy any of it, but at least it's good to hear that some of it will be used and enjoyed by someone.

Old 11-18-2017   #2029
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

A drinking fountain at Elmhurst High School. Most of the school's halls have one, and most of them were full of dirt or garbage.

Old 11-19-2017   #2030
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

More photos from my old high school, which is going to be demolished soon.

The Band Room, where music classes were held. I was in the school band, playing alto Sax, all four years of high school.

The hallway outside the Band Room. All band members had their lockers in this hall.

Old 11-20-2017   #2031
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This three-car pile-up was in the front yard of a house on State Route 2, southwest of Hicksville, in rural Defiance County, Ohio. The drivers of the wracked cars are all skeletons!

This was a Halloween decoration; one of the few interesting Halloween displays that I saw in 2017. There didn't seem to be very many people decorating for Halloween this year.

Old 11-20-2017   #2032
css9450

Quote:
More photos from my old high school, which is going to be demolished soon.
Demolition might be preferable to the alternative, which in this picture is a school which has sat abandoned since it closed in 2009. Its been ravaged by vandals and scrappers. A beautiful brick 20s-era building too, such a waste and very sad to see. Actor Karl Malden graduated from this school. Imagine coming back as an alum and seeing this!

[/end thread hijack]

Old 11-20-2017   #2033
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
Demolition might be preferable to the alternative, which in this picture is a school which has sat abandoned since it closed in 2009. Its been ravaged by vandals and scrappers. A beautiful brick 20s-era building too, such a waste and very sad to see. Actor Karl Malden graduated from this school. Imagine coming back as an alum and seeing this!

[/end thread hijack]

That's true, but Elmhurst should never have been closed. The school district had spent millions adding on to it and renovating it just a few years before it closed. A disgusting waste of taxpayer dollars.

The worthless superintendent of Fort Wayne Community Schools is paid three times what the mayor of Fort Wayne is paid, and nearly four times what the governor of Indiana is paid. If they needed to cut the budget, that would be the first place to go in my not so humble opinion as a former teacher in that deeply corrupt school system.

Old 11-21-2017   #2034
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Here's one from my backlog of work I am working through.

Two kids slide down the Fun Slide, a giant three-lane slide at the 2017 Three Rivers Festival. One of the boys had turned around on the way down and ended up on his stomach by the time he got to the bottom!

The Three Rivers Festival takes place for 10 days in July at Headwaters Park in downtown Fort Wayne, Indiana.

I always loved sliding down these giant slides when I was a kid.

Old 11-21-2017   #2035
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

More photos from my old high school, which will be demolished soon.

The Gym. It was full of tables and chairs so that people could socialize during the farewell tour for alumni earlier this month. Mr. Goss, who taught art and photography for 56 years at Elmhurst High School, held court at one of the tables both days the school was open.

This is the classroom where I took English and US History from John Houser in 11th grade. When I became a teacher myself, at South Side High School, Mr. Houser was the assistant Principal at South Side. He is now the principal at Wayne High School in Fort Wayne.

Old 11-23-2017   #2036
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Hope everyone is having a great Thanksgiving. Here's a patriotic house that I photographed in Fort Wayne a couple weeks ago.

This house in on Rivermet Avenue in the historic Lakeside neighborhood in Fort Wayne, Indiana. This is one of the oldest neighborhoods in the city, and is filled with beautiful old houses like this one.

This one has a giant American flag covering most of the house's second story front facade. I photographed it on a rainy fall afternoon during a short lull in the rain.

Old 11-23-2017   #2037
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:

This chair with a frowny face painted on it sits in front of the Fort Wayne Fire Department's Station #10 at the corner of Anthony Boulevard and Crescent Avenue.

It has had an interesting history. I photographed it the first time back in 2010, when it had a happy face painted on it. One of the firemen who worked there at the time told me that one of the men had painted the face on the yellow chair.

In 2011, the chair was painted over with a dull flat brown paint, with no face. It stayed that way until fall of 2017, when it went back to yellow. This time with a frowning face wearing glasses!

I made this photograph yesterday afternoon.
Nice photo!

Old 11-23-2017   #2038
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Nice photo!

Thanks. I am going to go back soon and photograph it again. I drive by there a couple days ago and the face has changed again! The weather was bad then so I didn't stop to shoot it, but I will be back as soon as we get a good day.

Old 11-24-2017   #2039
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This is the first of two photographs of Elmhurst High School that I made on a foggy morning in October, soon after the fence went up around the building, which is going to be demolished soon.

I graduated from Elmhurst in 1994.

Old 11-25-2017   #2040
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Last night, I photographed the sunset over the field on the south side of Yohne Road, across the road from the entrance to Fox Island County Park, in rural southwest Allen County, Indiana.