Cold weather and an M6?
Old 03-05-2019   #1
kchoquette

Cold weather and an M6?

So I've been taking my M6 out with me basically every day this winter and probably after the first twenty minutes of shooting, the battery gets too cold for the meter to perform.

Of course I have extra meters, but I'm wondering if there's any way to prevent this from happening? Thanks!

Old 03-05-2019   #2
FrozenInTime

Avoid alkaline batteries ; use instead silver oxide or better still lithium.
It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it.

Old 03-05-2019   #3
kchoquette

Turns out I actually do have a lithium battery in there. Maybe I just have to purchase a new one.

Old 03-05-2019   #4
presspass
filmshooter

I shot a fire company mud sale this past Saturday with an M6. Out in below freezing temperatures for nearly two hours and the meter continued to work. Try a cr1/3n battery and see if that makes a difference.

Old 03-05-2019   #5
kchoquette

@presspass

That's exactly what I've got in mine, I think I'll just wind up grabbing another.

Thanks!

Old 03-05-2019   #6
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchoquette View Post
So I've been taking my M6 out with me basically every day this winter and probably after the first twenty minutes of shooting, the battery gets too cold for the meter to perform.

Of course I have extra meters, but I'm wondering if there's any way to prevent this from happening? Thanks!
After 20 minutes of shooting in the cold, I prevent M6 meter failure by slipping into a Starbucks for 40 minutes. Works every time!

Old 03-05-2019   #7
shimokita
白黒

In my experience shooting in the cold with the Nikon F3P, same batteries as my film MP... if the battery is near the end of it's life cycle the cold pushes it over the edge.

Old 03-06-2019   #8
kchoquette

@Rob-F
Hahaha, I wish I could! But I usually find myself trekking pretty far into fire lines in a state forest to be able to take a nice deserved break like that.

@shimokita
I guess that settles it, in that case!

Old 03-06-2019   #9
Timmyjoe

I've got an S2 that gives up the ghost when it's out in 25F weather for more than twenty minutes. I compensate by putting the neck strap around my neck (something I rarely do) and keeping the camera hanging under my coat, against my chest, until I see something I want to capture. As long as I'm not changing lenses, it won't usually fog up.

Best,
-Tim

Old 03-06-2019   #10
Chuck Albertson

In really cold weather (the Cascade mountains in winter), I carry a spare batt and swap them out frequently. Lithium batts are supposed to work better in the cold, but I've always had better results with a pair of silver oxide batts (even though they're fiddly to change while wearing gloves). Nikon used to sell an accessory for the FM2 that ran a power cord from the battery compartment on the bottom of the camera to a battery holder that you could wear inside your jacket.