Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > FSU Former Soviet Union RF

FSU Former Soviet Union RF This forum is for the Former Soviet Union rangefinder cameras, especially the many and various Fed, Zorki, and Kiev.

Kiev 4AM test results
Old 06-21-2019   #1
Huss

Kiev 4AM test results

My black painted (not stock) Kiev 4AM. Beautiful beast but goofy to use. Fantastic lens. A light leak every 3rd pic.
Results below shot in Fuji Superia 400

100% crop from above:

Old 06-21-2019   #2
CharlesDAMorgan

Lovely, sharp and excellent colours. Shame about the light leak.

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3, Hasselblad PME51 metered prism, Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 534/16 & Ensign 820 Special - all gone.

Old 06-24-2019   #3
Glen851

Nice looking camera and great photos. I shoot a lot of images similar to the third photo. Love geometric shapes with organic contrasting elements. Hope you find/cure the light leak.
I'm hoping to get my repaired 4a back soon!
Kiev 4a
Zorki 1-1950
Zorki 4-1958
Voigtlander Vito B
Konica Auto S2
Zeiss 521/16
Kodak Duo 620
Nikon Ftn
Olympus Om1
Fujica ST801
Fuji X-Pro 1 (2)
Leica D-Lux 109
Panasonic LF-1

Change the way you look at things, and the things you look at Change!

Old 06-24-2019   #4
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen851 View Post
Nice looking camera and great photos. I shoot a lot of images similar to the third photo. Love geometric shapes with organic contrasting elements. Hope you find/cure the light leak.
I'm hoping to get my repaired 4a back soon!
Thanks!
Well the light leak is from a missing seal above the sprocket gear. It seems when they took the kamera apart to paint it they mis-placed it.
But my regular affordable excellent camera repair guy didn't want to touch it. My other dood charges Leica prices...
It happens every 3rd pic and if I really want to I could just frame for a square image so that it wouldn't matter! But it happens.
The lens is surprisingly good on this thing - at least as good as the 50 1.4 on my Nikon S2 - so this would be a great base set up or user for someone else.

Old 06-24-2019   #5
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Thanks!
Well the light leak is from a missing seal above the sprocket gear. It seems when they took the kamera apart to paint it they mis-placed it.

Something internal, ouch. I was going to say, I fixed the light leaks in my Zorki by taping all around the back door. Different camera architecture entirely though, but it helped that it was something simple. Hopefully you can get yours sorted out.