Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex

TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex another alternative to the dreaded SLR way of seeing, this forum for all format TLR cameras

My Franken-Mat 124-G is alive!
Old 03-02-2017   #1
taemo

My Franken-Mat 124-G is alive!

I always wanted to use a prism-finder on a TLR, so finally the past couple of weeks I finally decided to do it.
Went online and bought all the required pieces:
-Hasselblad NC-2 finder
-Extra focus hood (to use as base part)

My plan was to use the Maxwell focusing screen on a stock hood but I forgot how dark the original focus screen is so I ended up using the Maxwell one on this project.
Down the road I may buy another 124-G and another Maxwell screen.

Can't wait to run a test roll this weekend.

Yashica 124-G with prism finder by Earl Dieta, on Flickr

Old 03-02-2017   #2
charjohncarter

I like it, I hope with Japanese copying it will somehow work. Please lets us know and show some photos.

Old 03-02-2017   #3
taemo

thanks! ill bring it to work tomorrow, hopefully i can get some shots during my lunch break

Old 03-02-2017   #4
miragem5

Yashica-Mat 66+ Rollei Prism by steveod2007, on Flickr
My 1969 Mat 66 with a Rollei unit ,worked very well with the standard screen

Old 03-02-2017   #5
Cab-Helmet

I sometimes miss a prism finder on my TLRs...but man...they are ugly! ;-)

Old 03-02-2017   #6
BillBingham2

But they are ugly in such a unique way.......some might say beautiful due to price and function.

B2 (;->

Old 03-03-2017   #7
mich rassena

The prism looks pretty good on the camera, and from the front anyway, low-profile. Neat project. Makes we want to fool with my Argoflex and do a similar modification. I have a Pentax 67 prism lying around. Maybe that'll be a good weekend project.

I already have prisms for my Mamiya C series camera which I find make the camera more enjoyable to use. One is the standard Mamiya prism, the other, obtained from KEH for very little (maybe $10) is one adapted from a Rollei, but a different style than yours (probably much older). It's quite a bit lighter and smaller than the Mamiya prism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taemo View Post
I always wanted to use a prism-finder on a TLR, so finally the past couple of weeks I finally decided to do it.
Went online and bought all the required pieces:
-Hasselblad NC-2 finder
-Extra focus hood (to use as base part)

My plan was to use the Maxwell focusing screen on a stock hood but I forgot how dark the original focus screen is so I ended up using the Maxwell one on this project.
Down the road I may buy another 124-G and another Maxwell screen.

Can't wait to run a test roll this weekend.

Old 03-03-2017   #8
taemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by miragem5 View Post
My 1969 Mat 66 with a Rollei unit ,worked very well with the standard screen
that's awesome, any sample shots taken with that kit?
what makes the 124-G trickier is that the light meter on the top front protrudes inward close to the screen so the finder has to sit on top of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich rassena View Post
The prism looks pretty good on the camera, and from the front anyway, low-profile. Neat project. Makes we want to fool with my Argoflex and do a similar modification. I have a Pentax 67 prism lying around. Maybe that'll be a good weekend project.

I already have prisms for my Mamiya C series camera which I find make the camera more enjoyable to use. One is the standard Mamiya prism, the other, obtained from KEH for very little (maybe $10) is one adapted from a Rollei, but a different style than yours (probably much older). It's quite a bit lighter and smaller than the Mamiya prism.
saw this on Ebay last week as well, I don't know what prism finder they used for this
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/262874049806

Old 03-03-2017   #9
Fixcinater
Never enough smoky peat

That looks like a Kiev 6 meter prism with the meter bits removed.

Old 03-04-2017   #10
Dan Daniel

Looks familiar! In 2010 I used this for a while.

Then I did he same thing with a Minolta Autocord- what a great street shooter. The camera rested in my left hand and my left index finger focused with the Autocord's lower lever. Right hand holding main body and firing shutter with middle finger. Prism resting against my cheekbone.Very stable and very quick.

And then there was this hybrid, with the Compur shutter and a Zeiss uncoated lens. Nice thing about the Autocord body is that the wind mechanism will work even without most of the original shutter parts. You still needed tocock the shutter manually.

Old 03-04-2017   #11
taemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Daniel View Post

Then I did he same thing with a Minolta Autocord- what a great street shooter. The camera rested in my left hand and my left index finger focused with the Autocord's lower lever. Right hand holding main body and firing shutter with middle finger. Prism resting against my cheekbone.Very stable and very quick.

And then there was this hybrid, with the Compur shutter and a Zeiss uncoated lens. Nice thing about the Autocord body is that the wind mechanism will work even without most of the original shutter parts. You still needed tocock the shutter manually.
your original franken-mat was the inspiration to finally do it on my 124G.
here's a scan of a photo I took with it yesterday.
Yashica 124-G with Prism finder by Earl Dieta, on Flickr

Old 03-06-2017   #12
mich rassena

Quote:
Originally Posted by taemo View Post
saw this on Ebay last week as well, I don't know what prism finder they used for this
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/262874049806
That's kind of terrible looking with the post sticking out of the top.

Old 03-06-2017   #13
mich rassena

I like what you've done with the Autocord. How does it shoot?

I really like the idea of a TLR platform camera where I can add my own selection of lenses. It's a shame Autocords are a bit expensive, and I wouldn't want to disassemble a working one.

Quote:

Old 03-06-2017   #14
taemo

just ordered a Rick Oleson 6603 screen for my 124-G prism finder.
that way I can dedicate my Maxwell screen for the OEM focus hood.

Old 03-06-2017   #15
Dan Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich rassena View Post
I like what you've done with the Autocord. How does it shoot?

I really like the idea of a TLR platform camera where I can add my own selection of lenses. It's a shame Autocords are a bit expensive, and I wouldn't want to disassemble a working one.
The lens shoots well. Pre-WWII uncoated Tessar from a folder. 75mm folder. I used the Compur shutter, which ended up having some problems. Some samples:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/180672...57627171406904

The main issue is that you are limited to 75mm lenses. And you need to be prepared for focus issues.Both the physical location of the lens may need to be adjusted- shims- and the match between the new lens and the original taking lens may be off. Actual focal lengths varied.

I was able to use the shutter release on the shutter- it was long enough to be activated by the Autocord lever and traveled in the right direction. I did need to drill a new index hole to locate the shutter release in the proper position. I also need to make a new aperture scale because the original was unviewable.

An Autocord with a bad lens or bad shutter is usually cheaper. That's the donor body for this- broken shutter and scratched lens. A YashicaMat also uses the same lens mounting threads. Most likely could install the Tessar elements on a stock Autocord with stock shutter, also.

Old 03-20-2017   #16
mich rassena

Quote:
The lens shoots well. Pre-WWII uncoated Tessar from a folder. 75mm folder. I used the Compur shutter, which ended up having some problems. Some samples:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/180672...57627171406904

The main issue is that you are limited to 75mm lenses. And you need to be prepared for focus issues.Both the physical location of the lens may need to be adjusted- shims- and the match between the new lens and the original taking lens may be off. Actual focal lengths varied.

I was able to use the shutter release on the shutter- it was long enough to be activated by the Autocord lever and traveled in the right direction. I did need to drill a new index hole to locate the shutter release in the proper position. I also need to make a new aperture scale because the original was unviewable.

An Autocord with a bad lens or bad shutter is usually cheaper. That's the donor body for this- broken shutter and scratched lens. A YashicaMat also uses the same lens mounting threads. Most likely could install the Tessar elements on a stock Autocord with stock shutter, also.
Your images look very good. All quite sharp.

Thanks for the information on the build. That seems like a great way to revive an old camera with a bad lens but otherwise working.

Old 03-20-2017   #17
Kent
Finally at home...

The really ugly thing at it is the Canon strap.
Main Lenses: Leica, Nikkor, Voigtländer, 7artisans, Meyer, Sigma, Pentax, Tamron, Rokkor etc.
Click me...