Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Repair / Camera Care

Repair / Camera Care This is a good place to discuss the care and repair of your photo gear. You can share Do-It-Yourself repair and maintenance, as well as your recommendations for pro repairs. This new forum was created 4/1/07. PLEASE title your thread wisely, so others searching for a certain make of camera or repair person can find your thread easily!

Problem with Leica MP.. Please help!
Old 06-14-2018   #1
Nugard
Elvis lives!..

Question Problem with Leica MP.. Please help!

Dear friends, please help!

Recently my beloved Leica MP started to act bad: it doesn't take a picture, when I press shutter release button. So I have to press a couple of times for it to snap a frame...

Can someone please tell me if such an issue could be fixed by me, or it's a case to send it to a master for CLA or repairs (I have it for 10 years already, so maybe it's time)?..

Olympus OM-1n and heap of lenses
Leica MP and 50 'Cron (tabbed)

flickr

Old 06-14-2018   #2
a.noctilux

I think it's a spring/metallic rod under the shutter button or something else that to tell you time for a CLA.

Once every ten years, not bad.
After that you would go for another ten years or more.

Old 06-14-2018   #3
Mute-on

Sounds like CLA time. Meanwhile, stop pressing the shutter release button. Can’t be helping.

Love my MP!

Old 06-14-2018   #4
mooge

Sounds like the flat spring for the shutter release to me. Basically if it's too far one way the shutter button doesn't travel far enough to release the shutter.

Give this a try and see if that helps. You only need to take the cover off with the film loading diagram.

Old 06-14-2018   #5
x-ray

You shouldn't need a CLA unless you've been playing in the dirt with it or using it under extreme conditions. In fifty years of using Leica M's professionally I've only had a couple that required a CLA or repairs. I have 4 M's and my MP is the same age as yours and I've shot thousands of rolls through it and there's no indication of a CLA needed. Actually my M2 that ice owned almost 25 years needed a CLA ten years ago. It still had the Leica seal on it and I was the second owner and know it had never been tampered with. It had been sitting unused for most of its life because the original owner passed away not long after he bought it.

My mid 60's M3 finally needed a CLA three years ago so that's the extent of CLA's for the more than a dozen M's I've owned. Currently I have 4 that function perfectly.

Most likely it's just a simple adjustment.

Old 06-14-2018   #6
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

A small chip of film in the wrong place can make it seem as if something big is broken. Don't start out by doing something drastic, look for a little thing first.

Old 06-14-2018   #7
icebear

How many films have you put through that body in the past 6 month?
Possibly just under used and got sticky... or indeed a small particle got stuck where it doesn't belong. Maybe a check-up is in order to find the fault and prevent lasting damage, no reason for a full CLA on a 10 year old ...it's basically just out of kindergarden

my gallery:http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...d=6650&showall

Old 06-14-2018   #8
Nugard
Elvis lives!..

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnewtonguitars View Post
A small chip of film in the wrong place can make it seem as if something big is broken. Don't start out by doing something drastic, look for a little thing first.
Interesting you have mention film... in winter I had film rip in the camera (on the last frame, Ilford hp5)... But i got film out and thought it's ok now... maybe there is something left after all... can you specify where it could have stuck to cause such a trouble?

In last half a year I shot something like 30-40 rolls of film, so I don't think it's a lack of use...

flickr

Old 06-26-2018   #9
Nugard
Elvis lives!..

Any other suggestions what may be the issue and how to fix it?..

flickr

Old 06-26-2018   #10
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ray View Post
You shouldn't need a CLA unless you've been playing in the dirt with it or using it under extreme conditions. In fifty years of using Leica M's professionally I've only had a couple that required a CLA or repairs. I have 4 M's and my MP is the same age as yours and I've shot thousands of rolls through it and there's no indication of a CLA needed. Actually my M2 that ice owned almost 25 years needed a CLA ten years ago. It still had the Leica seal on it and I was the second owner and know it had never been tampered with. It had been sitting unused for most of its life because the original owner passed away not long after he bought it.

My mid 60's M3 finally needed a CLA three years ago so that's the extent of CLA's for the more than a dozen M's I've owned. Currently I have 4 that function perfectly.

Most likely it's just a simple adjustment.
Well, sort of. I've needed three repairs of film Leicas in about 49 years (and need two more at the moment, MP meter and M2 strap lug pulled out), but here's a story of five Leicas that belonged to a friend. ALL need repair. But as you say, lack of use is a great cause of problems.

A decent mechanic will clean, lubricate and adjust the camera as needed in the course of a repair. A complete Leica-standard strip, clean and overhaul, restoring the camera to as new condition, cannot cost less than $600-700, and $1000-1200 is entirely possible. A bad "CLA merchant" will charge a few hundred for a skimped job which may actually accelerate wear and tear.

Cheers,

R.

Old 06-26-2018   #11
richardHaw
junk scavenger

the climate at where it was stored or used also contributes to it

don't want to sound negative but you should send it to somebody who knows whats going on. DIY by somebody who doesnt have the right tools or experience will only compound the problem or create new ones
http://www.richardhaw.com

Old 06-26-2018   #12
Huss

It sounds like the camera has a bent/warped shutter release shaft.
This can happen from using 'softies' or an unintended impact.