Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Repair / Camera Care

Repair / Camera Care This is a good place to discuss the care and repair of your photo gear. You can share Do-It-Yourself repair and maintenance, as well as your recommendations for pro repairs. This new forum was created 4/1/07. PLEASE title your thread wisely, so others searching for a certain make of camera or repair person can find your thread easily!

cameraworks-uk.com experience / recommendations?
Old 01-10-2018   #1
SimonPJ

cameraworks-uk.com experience / recommendations?

I've just come across cameraworks-uk.com via a recent posting here about a restored IIIf.

In the past I have only used Malcolm Taylor and CRR Luton for repairs, and turn around times with both can be rather long.

Interested in your experiences with cameraworks-uk.com

Thanks,

Simon

Old 01-10-2018   #2
splitimageview

Alan and James have painted and serviced several Ms and Barnacks for me, lead times have never been a priority for me as they offer services that no one else can do. That said, they’ve done complete restorations with full paint work faster than other techs have returned regular CLAs. Highly recommended.

Old 01-10-2018   #3
SimonPJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitimageview View Post
Alan and James have painted and serviced several Ms and Barnacks for me, lead times have never been a priority for me as they offer services that no one else can do. That said, they’ve done complete restorations with full paint work faster than other techs have returned regular CLAs. Highly recommended.
That's great to know. Thanks.

Old 01-10-2018   #4
Mr_Flibble

Last year they've painted and rebuilt a Leica IIIc-sync conversion for me, including the installation of new red curtains.

It was in their work backlog for a while, but once work commenced it was done fairly quickly and I received updates with photos on important steps in the process.

Highly recommended +1

Latest Toys: Darkroom supplies

Old 01-10-2018   #5
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

Had Alan and James do a CLA on my black Leica II to IIIa-syn conversion and they even took the time to make the 1/1000th speed spot-on.

The Leica II has a 1/500th top speed and with the factory upgrade to a IIIa comes a 1/1000th shutter speed button that actually is still 1/500th. But they took a minute amount of metal off the shutter latches (!) so that the whole shutter could be fine tuned to actually give 1/1000th at the selected speed.

Like Rick says, it took a little while to get going from the work backlog but it went quick once it started and I was informed on all work being done in a very complete and timely manner.

The camera wasn't repainted but I've seen their repainting work online and it's marvellous. They showed an M3 with 50mm Summicron repainted to black and it looked factory new and original, a real stunner.

Wholeheartedly recommend them, I will be sending them my early-production Leica II soon, somewhere next month I reckon. This just has a 500th top speed, should be less troublesome for them

I write vintage gear reviews on www.johanniels.com |

flickr | instagram |

Old 01-10-2018   #6
Greyscale

Alan did a wonderful restoration of a Nagel Pupille for me, and he doesn’t even work on Nagels. I will be sending him my Leica II in the spring.

My RFF Gallery

Old 01-10-2018   #7
sepiareverb
genius and moron

They seem pretty swamped of late. They’ve had a lens of mine in for a CLA and paint for several months, and heard back over the weekend that they can’t get it open to do the paint. Fixed the ding in the threads and replaced my cap for free, waiting on the post now.

Old 01-10-2018   #8
splitimageview

Email communication is good, too, in my experience.

They also have new frameline masks for M2 and M3; my M2 received one. They can even install titanium shutter curtains...

They are currently finishing up this IIIf that the OP mentioned.

IIIf red dial self timer, SBOOI, Canon 50/1.5

Work in progress, will have a hugostudio.com covering soon.

Old 01-10-2018   #9
Mr_Flibble

That matching black trim lens is gorgeous. Wonderful set.

This is what Alan did to my IIIc

Latest Toys: Darkroom supplies

Old 01-10-2018   #10
splitimageview

Very nice!

Alan restored the red curtains in my IIIc also.

Old 01-10-2018   #11
megido

"They also have new frameline masks for M2 and M3; my M2 received one"

Interesting, was there a marked improvement over the original? If so, in what respect?

Old 01-10-2018   #12
splitimageview

more on that in this thread, and here

Old 01-10-2018   #13
megido

Quote:
more on that in this thread, and here
Thank you!

Old 07-19-2018   #14
brbo

Anyone have experience with Cameraworks-UK paint jobs and can share some thoughts?

I have sent my M2 for a repaint a couple of months ago and while waiting I have to decide which type of black paint (not DuraCoat) I want. They have a more glossy type of paint (type 1) and the version that has a more satin sheen (type 2).

Type 2 being more durable seems to be an obvious choice. The only black paint Leicas I've held so far are modern M 8.2 and MP and if type 2 repaint is close to them in looks and feel I guess I would be really happy with it.

Anyone that can share some experience with the repaints and which type of paint they chose (and why)? Thanks!

Old 10-02-2018   #15
Jake06

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbo View Post
I have sent my M2 for a repaint a couple of months ago and while waiting I have to decide which type of black paint (not DuraCoat) I want. They have a more glossy type of paint (type 1) and the version that has a more satin sheen (type 2).
Did you decide yet? I'm looking to send a lens in for repairs and debating whether to ask for a repaint at the same time.

Old 10-02-2018   #16
brbo

I've decided on glossy black paint.

But it's been 4 months now and not a word from them yet. So I guess my M2 in not anywhere near the point where they need my input...

Old 10-02-2018   #17
Ricoh

I decided to send my M6 for a CLA in July based on recommendations received, but as alluded earlier CameraWorks-UK seem to be somewhat swamped by the number of cameras being sent to them from around the word. Currently the quoted turn-around is 3 months, so hopefuuly the wait for my CLA'd M6 won't be much longer.

Old 10-05-2018   #18
Jake06

Hmm I sent them an email about my lens a couple of days ago and I haven't heard back from them yet... looks like this might be a slow process.

Old 10-05-2018   #19
Ricoh

I remember reading on their web page that they would rather spend their time fixing cameras (and lenses) than answer emails.
I'm sure they do a great job, so worth the wait I guess.

Old 10-05-2018   #20
DanskDynamit

They are good but I think they lack of attention to details. I had to return my camera to their hands to finish the job.

Old 10-05-2018   #21
Ricoh

Oh dear, and was the rectification an equally long wait?

Old 10-05-2018   #22
splitimageview

No one is perfect, but Alan and James come close to it. They even include a transferrable warranty. It's no wonder their lead times are longer now.

Old 10-05-2018   #23
zeitoun

Alan took care of my CL which was sent to him from Quebec. He kept in touch with me by email, practically in real time, informing me of his progress as he went along. It was amazing. The problem was fixed in a couple of days and the CL sent back to me within a week. Extremely nice communication all the way through. The camera is so nice now that my M2 is spending much more time in the closet... Magnificent service. Could not recommend highly enough. Thanks Alan!
Paul

Old 10-05-2018   #24
DanskDynamit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Oh dear, and was the rectification an equally long wait?
no, it was quick but they were a bit upset for having to honor the guaranty they provide.

Old 10-05-2018   #25
Ricoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanskDynamit View Post
no, it was quick but they were a bit upset for having to honor the guaranty they provide.
They offer a 12 month transferable guarantee but I have no intention (yet!) of selling on once my M6 returns. Fingers crossed, and toes for that matter, I don't suffer the same outcome. My glass is half full, generally.

Old 10-05-2018   #26
splitimageview

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanskDynamit View Post
After sending them 7 or 8 cameras, I got to know them pretty well. My guess is they were simply frustrated at their error, as opposed to having to honor a warranty.

Old 10-05-2018   #27
DanskDynamit

Quote:
After sending them 7 or 8 cameras, I got to know them pretty well. My guess is they were simply frustrated at their error, as opposed to having to honor a warranty.
good guess but it was not the case
Anyways my camera is working fine ever since then, nothing hard to achieve to any technician working on a M body from the 60s.

Old 10-05-2018   #28
splitimageview

That doesn't describe the Starkies that I know, but whatever. They honored the warranty, and I know first-hand they have honored warranties on their services in other cases, too.

It's good business, and happy customers is why their lead times are long.

Old 10-05-2018   #29
pgk

I've just had two M lenses serviced by them - took time but I think that's because they are taking up the slack from other people who are reducing their workload or retiring. Great job on the lenses - they look and work better than anticipated.

Old 10-05-2018   #30
brbo

How long was your wait time?

Old 10-05-2018   #31
pgk

Shipped to them in late May, back a couple of weeks ago (two lenses). I rang about a month ago and they instantly described the packaging I'd used as the lenses had just moved up the line onto the work bench when I rang. Just sounded as though they were very busy. I got updates on a Saturday by email - even quite late on so they were obviously hard at work then too.

Old 05-06-2019   #32
trianbampol
brian tampol

Quote:
I've decided on glossy black paint.

But it's been 4 months now and not a word from them yet. So I guess my M2 in not anywhere near the point where they need my input...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
I decided to send my M6 for a CLA in July based on recommendations received, but as alluded earlier CameraWorks-UK seem to be somewhat swamped by the number of cameras being sent to them from around the word. Currently the quoted turn-around is 3 months, so hopefuuly the wait for my CLA'd M6 won't be much longer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake06 View Post
Hmm I sent them an email about my lens a couple of days ago and I haven't heard back from them yet... looks like this might be a slow process.
Bump

Have any of you got your gear back from service yet? I had an M3, and two M lenses checked in last September, and that was the last I heard from them with 4 unanswered e-mails along the way. I was curious to see how long you guys had to wait.

www.trianbampol.com

Old 05-06-2019   #33
richardHaw
junk scavenger

i highly recommend the Starkies
http://www.richardhaw.com

Old 05-06-2019   #34
brbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by trianbampol View Post
Bump

Have any of you got your gear back from service yet? I had an M3, and two M lenses checked in last September, and that was the last I heard from them with 4 unanswered e-mails along the way. I was curious to see how long you guys had to wait.
My camera was done in February (sent the M2 for repaint and other stuff in June, 2018). It had to be sent back for a few things that they missed, but that was fast (a couple of weeks maybe).

edit: About emails, they don't like to waste time on writing emails so the emails come only when they have something new to say, but when they do write an email they are a great read with lots of interesting info and a lot of technical explanation.

Old 05-07-2019   #35
sepiareverb
genius and moron

I’ve had three lenses painted by them now. They are slow, but the work has been impeccable. I believe I sent the last two lenses in October, got them back in March.

Old 05-07-2019   #36
zeitoun

I have dealt with Alan once for a repair on my CL. Incredibly nice experience. Super fast turnaround time, with near real-time email contact to let me know of the progress being made. Experiences such as this makes using Leica gear worthwhile! Highly, highly recommended.
Paul

Old 05-07-2019   #37
trianbampol
brian tampol

Quote:
My camera was done in February (sent the M2 for repaint and other stuff in June, 2018). It had to be sent back for a few things that they missed, but that was fast (a couple of weeks maybe).

edit: About emails, they don't like to waste time on writing emails so the emails come only when they have something new to say, but when they do write an email they are a great read with lots of interesting info and a lot of technical explanation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepiareverb View Post
I’ve had three lenses painted by them now. They are slow, but the work has been impeccable. I believe I sent the last two lenses in October, got them back in March.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeitoun View Post
I have dealt with Alan once for a repair on my CL. Incredibly nice experience. Super fast turnaround time, with near real-time email contact to let me know of the progress being made. Experiences such as this makes using Leica gear worthwhile! Highly, highly recommended.
Paul
Thanks, and I appreciate the feedback guys, based on your timelines I'm hoping my gear will be done around the 9 or 10 month mark in June/July.

Cheers

www.trianbampol.com

Old 05-07-2019   #38
sepiareverb
genius and moron

If you are on Facebook they do respond to messages there better than email in my dealings with them.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #39
truando

Been waiting for 9 months and status is still „awaiting repair“. Mails are not answered. I understand the concept: we rather work on cameras than answering mails, but if I would stop answering mails in order to work, I would be out of business in no time. Freelancer here, so I know how this works.

Old 6 Days Ago   #40
padam

After well over 6 months I've gotten only two false promises. At this point I would just rather have it back, but now they don't respond at all anywhere.
They were more responsive before they've taken in the gear but I really don't know if they care and I am not able to do much about it, which is worrying.