Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Zeiss Contax

Zeiss Contax Forum for the classic Zeiss Contax I, II, III, IIa, IIIa , G series, and if you want to push it, the nice Contax point and shoots. Some spill over from the Kievs, the Soviet copy of the Contax II/III can also be expected. Plus the ONLY production camera ever made in classic Zeiss Contax Rangefinder mount WITH TTL metering ... the Voigtlander Bessa R2C.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

A curious "Contax-II" in auction
Old 03-08-2018   #1
Elmar Lang

A curious "Contax-II" in auction

Hello,

on the coming Saturday, Westlicht (Vienna), will take its usual, beautiful auction of vintage and historical cameras.

Looking at the pages with the RF Contax cameras, I've noticed lot no. 309, titled as "Contax II special", with the following description:

"Unengraved body, no serial number on shoe or inside, in very good condition, late winding knob, sync post on front, with uncoated Sonnar 2/5cm no.2273209, possibly made for field testing purposes without revealing the brand name".

Where "unengraved" means no "Contax" logo, or serial number on the accessory-shoe.

The position of the flash synch, made me more curious, so I've better checked the fine pictures completing the description: the removable back, immediately reveals that it's the one of a Kiev-4/4A.
More, the rewind-knob, although being a Contax-type one, is fixed with a screw not consistent with those used on a Contax; the focusing-wheel, is of Kiev-type and the leather cover, is typical of the Kievs made in the late 60s.

Here: http://www.auction2000.se/auk/w.Mega...inO=309&inSO=1 the pictures can be seen.

In other words, I think that this camera is a "No-Name Kiev", possibly "upgraded" with an unnumbered, Contax accessory shoe, a Contax, rewind knob and an uncoated, collapsible Zeiss Jena Sonnar 50/2; all easy to cannibalize from a unrepairable Contax-II.

I am surprised, because Westlicht's descriptions are usually very well, and accurately done.

This is why I'd be glad to read the opinion of the Contax-experts in this room.

Best wishes,

E.L.