Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Nikon Historical Society

Nikon Historical Society Jason Schneider is perhaps the world's most famous expert on camera collecting.  Over the course of his long career he has been a photojournalist, a commercial photographer, and a camera test lab manager.  For 18 years he wrote his incredibly influential Camera Collector monthly column at the still deeply missed MODERN PHOTOGRAPHY magazine where Jason was also Editorial Director. Modern was followed by his 16 year stint as Editor-Chief of Popular Photography, then the world's largest imaging magazine. Along the way many of his Modern Camera collecting articles were republished in the wonderful 3 volume set JASON SCHNEIDER ON CAMERA COLLECTING.

Focusing on a wide range of interests, Jason has been an avid photography enthusiast, writer, and lecturer amazingly enough since his early teens.  He graduated Magna Cum Laude from Washington Square College of New York University, where he majored in English Literature, minored in Classics, and was inducted into Phi Beta Kappa. Schneiderís poetry and critical essays on poetry have been published in the NYU college literary magazine and in various collections.  He's currently working on a book on Emily Dickinson's poetry "Understanding Emily Dickinson. A Reader's Guide To The Enlightened Master."

Jason is an expert on most things photography:  no only camera collecting and analog photography, but also digital photography, the history of camera design and technology, the business of photography, what it is to be a photographer, and as he once proved to me, the best place to buy bratworst at Photokina in Cologne. If all of that was not enough, Jason is genuinely one of the nicest, most knowledgeable and interesting human beings you will ever likely have the good fortune to meet on the net.

Nikon F2 with ISO hot shoe.
Old 03-28-2011   #1
angelodal

Nikon F2 with ISO hot shoe.

This morning, I started wondering why Nikon didn't make prisms for the F and F2 with ISO hot shoes ( I mean, they were able to make it for the F3P, why not for the rest?) after running into this.

de-1.jpg

I thought it was just an accessory shoe until when I opened it and found out it was actually wired.

de-1b.jpg

I know it ain't authentic but it actually is more practical than looking for a dedicated flash. What do you guys think? Anyone else have seen this modification?

Cheers,
Angel

Old 03-28-2011   #2
Brian Sweeney

The camera body would also have to be modified. I guess you could rewire the flash contacts of the camera to the electrodes used for battery power to the Photomic head, if you were to use only with non-metered prisms.

Old 03-28-2011   #3
angelodal

I think that's how it was done here, the wire leads to a post connecting to a contact on the body. I have yet to try this one, tho.

Old 03-28-2011   #4
angelodal

It came with a beat up F2 body, does that mean that body has modifications for this set up to work? The body's really beat up and the lever doesn't go past 60 deg, so I can't get the shutter to fire.

Old 03-28-2011   #5
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Unless it merely is a cold shoe with ready light (the ready light contact is on the prism itself and could be internally wired to the shoe), there must have been some body modification - the most obvious modification would be to run a connecting wire from the power terminal for the metering prisms to some place where the flash contact is accessible (hot shoe base, hot plug or shutter flash contact).

Old 03-28-2011   #6
BillBingham2

I always worried about this sort of design (hot shoe on top of a removeable prism) leading to miss allignment of the head or worse. People tend to put such heavy flashes on them.

While it's the wrong forum has anyone ever ripped a head off an F1 with a flash?

B2

Old 03-28-2011   #7
angelodal

Sevo

I doubt that it still has the ready light function because there seems to be no led where the ready light is.. Hmm. While inspecting the body, I found it had batteries loaded, I'm not sure if they're needed for the hot shoe or someone just forgot to remove them.

B2

Other than the body it came with, I have no other F2 to test it with (just sold my F2A two days ago) so I really don't know how effective it is. Maybe it's a sign that I should get another... Or maybe that's just GAS. Haha

I've seen F1's (I assume you're talking about Canon F1's) with dented prisms
as if it landed on top right where the hot shoe is.

Angel

Old 03-28-2011   #8
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

There would be no LED, the F2 used a miniature neon flash ready lamp above the eyepiece, just like contemporary flashes (the neon lamp itself acting as the voltage threshold detecting device).

Last edited by sevo : 03-28-2011 at 04:04.

Old 03-28-2011   #9
angelodal

That I didn't know. HAHA I got the body to fire (after forcing the lever) and it actually works as a hot shoe with a flash set to manual.

Old 04-01-2011   #10
rbsinto

Location: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada Thornhill is a suburb of Toronto
Great idea and very Sover Wongish!
I always considered the hotshoe on the rewind crank base on the F, F2 and F3 to be one of Nikons greatest design mistakes, and so I toyed with the idea of adding either a coldshoe or a shoe with a short cord and hotshoe connector to my DP-12 so my F2 would have become essentially an F2P.
However, the possible strain on the finder's attachment points to the body is what stopped me from making the modification.
Instead I just use a flash bracket on those rare occasions when I need flash, which works just as well.

Old 04-07-2011   #11
angelodal

Got around shooting with the camera and a Nik-O 35/2. It's refreshing, finally being able to shoot with flash around at night (I don't have an AS-1). The finder seems strong enough to handle placing and replacing of flash units, it's still keeping its shape.

Just wondering, anyone knows what prism (the glass/mirror part) would fit inside a DE-1? There is now a line in the middle of the prism and is quite distracting.

Thanks

Angel