Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > DIYS Modifications

DIYS Modifications DIYS aka Do It Yourself Projects - mostly gear modifications

Calibrating a close-focus Contameter?
Old 08-15-2015   #1
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

Calibrating a close-focus Contameter?

I scored one of the late, very West-German Voigtlander Contameters, the ones that go all the way to infinity from 8". Unfortunately, following the advice of an incorrect picture description of the adjustment screws (nice to know that I am not the only idiot on the web), I managed to turn the linearity adjuster instead of the infinity adjuster. So now things are not so much fun.

For these close-up rangefinders, does anyone know the correct protocol for close-focus adjustment? Most references for RFs going to 0.7m identify 1m as the correct close-focus adjustment point. Is there a different one for these RFs that focus much closer?

And is there any recognized protocol? I am using this to focus a 180mm f/5.6 Fujinon at 1m, so in the worst case, I could ground-glass focus the lens with a +1 diopter (showing ∞ but really being optically focused at 1m) and adjust the Centimeter so that its scale matches 1m/∞ (that's where the scale on the unit crosses over from no diopter to 1 diopter - so it says 1m on the no-diopter scene and ∞ on the 1 diopter scale). Or I guess I could match the reading to the RF reading on a Fuji lens that actually focuses to 1m.

Ideas?

Dante