Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M9 / ME

Old 11-20-2018   #121
colker
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn View Post
The D700 has a CMOS sensor in it.

Shawn
I had a D200 before. And a D100. The D700 is way better.

Old 11-20-2018   #122
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
I feel better w/ a smaller camera. Smaller and lighter. It´s how I feel, it´s how it works for me and i am a gringo in Mexico.
That's important. I do understand the need to feel comfortable and Mexico, depending on where, could have different concerns than Santiago. Use what feels right. I use the f2 fuji primes so... I like small too.

Old 11-20-2018   #123
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
I hope in this mode they avoid viewing through f8-11 issues under low light.
Maybe it is not a problem with EVF/OVF.
Not sure what you mean? If you are using Fuji lenses the lens won't be at F8 or F11 until you actually take the picture and then it will stop down.

If you are talking about an adapted lens that is where the better performance of the sensor will help. Besides, the ERF mode is still mostly the optical view finder with just a small window on the side that is the focus point magnified and displayed on the side. That focus point can also be using focus peaking too. In fact a fun way to do it is set the camera to monochrome (shoot RAW for color images) and use red focus peaking. You don't even need to look directly at the box, when it displays red the focus point is in focus.

Very quick and easier to see than a rangefinder in low light.

Shawn

Old 11-20-2018   #124
colker
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
OK then... To me that self timer / vf switch between the two says it all. And in the hand? Come on...
I don´t own the x100. I tried it briefly and it didn´t attract me immediately but i would like to have one. Though it´s the xe3 that calls my name. I love tiny cameras.

Old 11-20-2018   #125
shawn

Quote:
I had a D1H and then a D700, it was way better. But after getting the XP2 I sold the D700 as it really didn't do anything the Fuji couldn't do and do better.

Shawn

Old 11-20-2018   #126
colker
-

Quote:
I had a D1H and then a D700, it was way better. But after getting the XP2 I sold the D700 as it really didn't do anything the Fuji couldn't do and do better.

Shawn
i have so much Nikon glass I won´t bother selling the D700. Also, prices are so low for the camera and lenses. I still have the d200 w/ my wife. I guess i will give her the d700 when i buy the Fuji.
I like shooting the D700; the heavy weight acts to stabilize the camera. I do like the xtrans sensor better though.

Old 11-21-2018   #127
willie_901

Quote:

Seeing outside of the frame?
This!

Of minor importance to me are no EVF lag, no EVF aliasing (flicker) from modulated light sources and avoiding grainy, noise filtered finder viewing in very low light. While the some of the newest cameras address all of these issues, none eliminate them.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 11-21-2018   #128
willie_901

Quote:
Now you know why.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 11-21-2018   #129
willie_901

Quote:

Shawn
I too sold my D700 bodies and all my Nikon lenses shortly after when the X-T1 came out. For my work, the X-T1's sensor performance was a bit better than the D700's. The X-T1's smaller size and weight made life much easier. I preferred the Fujinon lenses as well.

However, the D700 served me well from 2010 until 2014. I used those bodies heavily for gigs and hauled them all over St. Louis 3-6 days per week. I used them in rain and snow. I dropped them a couple of times. They just kept getting the job done. I would recommend a D700 to anyone who wants a value-priced DSLR.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 11-21-2018   #130
jsrockit

I'd say for a nikon that old, the d700 retains a pretty good resale price still. Think of it vs a Sony A7, nikon D610, or a Canon 6D...which all sell for about $600 or less used these days.

Old 11-21-2018   #131
shawn

Quote:
I'd say for a nikon that old, the d700 retains a pretty good resale price still. Think of it vs a Sony A7, nikon D610, or a Canon 6D...which all sell for about $600 or less used these days.
D700 are down around $400-$600 now. With ebays 15% coupon you could pick up a couple of high usage ones for around $350. A definite work horse of a camera, esp. at those prices.

Shawn

Old 11-21-2018   #132
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie_901 View Post
I too sold my D700 bodies and all my Nikon lenses shortly after when the X-T1 came out. For my work, the X-T1's sensor performance was a bit better than the D700's. The X-T1's smaller size and weight made life much easier. I preferred the Fujinon lenses as well.

However, the D700 served me well from 2010 until 2014. I used those bodies heavily for gigs and hauled them all over St. Louis 3-6 days per week. I used them in rain and snow. I dropped them a couple of times. They just kept getting the job done. I would recommend a D700 to anyone who wants a value-priced DSLR.
Yup, they were beasts. The Fuji lenses are great, and much lighter than the Nikon glass I carried around.

Shawn

Old 11-21-2018   #133
shawn

Quote:
i have so much Nikon glass I won´t bother selling the D700. Also, prices are so low for the camera and lenses. I still have the d200 w/ my wife. I guess i will give her the d700 when i buy the Fuji.
I like shooting the D700; the heavy weight acts to stabilize the camera. I do like the xtrans sensor better though.
When I sold the D700 I sold some of my Nikon glass but held onto a few pieces. I use them on the Fuji with a speedbooster or can them on the m240 as well.

Shawn

Old 11-21-2018   #134
jsrockit

Quote:
D700 are down around $400-$600 now.
Exactly...that`s pretty good vs. cameras priced very well that are only a few years old and are 20-24mp.

Old 11-21-2018   #135
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Back to M9 family. Leica increased sensor change to 1500+ Euro.
Most redilculos is the date of increase. 1st of next month.
Basically American owners have one week to make it to under old price.
Shizer happens, indeed.

Old 11-21-2018   #136
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Back to M9 family. Leica increased sensor change to 1500+ Euro. Most redilculos is the date of increase. 1st of next month. Basically American owners have one week to make it to under old price. Shizer happens, indeed.
So up from less than $1000 last year to $1500 this year. With a $2500 used priced for an M9 with a replaced sensor, the used price for one without a replaced sensor falls to under $1000. Plus the wait to have the service done. Pretty must a disaster.

Old 11-21-2018   #137
jsrockit

Quote:
Shizer happens, indeed.
I wouldn't touch a used M9 these days... shocked that they go for $2500 with this issue looming. However, those who already have one would be best to haggle with Leica NJ. In the past, I never payed the quoted full price for any repair because to me the repairs were not normal (even if out of warranty). Things like a completely ripped (metal shutter) and coffee stained LCD. The shutter was replaced at half the quoted price and the stain for free after I said hell no to the quoted price.

Old 11-21-2018   #138
colker
-

I seriously thought about buying an M9. I like digital cameras. A full frame digital Leica w/ its simple operation and straight compatibility w/ photoshop.. sounds perfect. I even tried a ccd lover attitude in front of the mirror... but the wait for the sensor to fail is unacceptable. Leica should PAY every photographer that needs a replacement instead of charging... just to try to save face.

It´s just like buying a Rolex that fails to set time but other than that is a great watch.

Old 11-21-2018   #139
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

??? What is wrong in buying one with a sensor that has been replaced with a new type one? Plenty of those on the market. Or buy a corroded one el cheapo and invest 1500 EU to refurbish it.

jaapvphotography

Old 11-21-2018   #140
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Quote:
Shizer happens, indeed.
I doubt that there are more than a few M9s out there that need a sensor replacement, if any.
And why specifically American owners? Most of the rest of the world runs to the same calendar.

jaapvphotography

Old 11-21-2018   #141
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
I doubt that there are more than a few M9s out there that need a sensor replacement, if any.
And why specifically American owners? Most of the rest of the world runs to the same calendar.
Are you saying only Canadians have Thanksgiving on different from Americans week?
Happy Thanksgiving then! How is your Blackout Wednesday went?

Old 11-21-2018   #142
colker
-

Quote:
Based on...?

Old 11-22-2018   #143
jsrockit

Quote:
??? What is wrong in buying one with a sensor that has been replaced with a new type one? Plenty of those on the market. Or buy a corroded one el cheapo and invest 1500 EU to refurbish it.
I thought it could happen again... and every person who has owned a M9 or MM, that I know, have had to have the sensor replaced. I know you are a self-appointed spokesperson, and I even like Leica, but the M9/MM situation hasn`t been handled well.

Old 11-22-2018   #144
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Without some Leica person telling how many sensors were replaced by now and how many cameras with this sensor was sold, here is nobody else to tell the facts and to be taken seriously.

From what I have seen here and at LUF it is very common problem. But how many from total nobody knows, but Leica only.

And Happy Thanksgiving to Jaap.

Old 11-22-2018   #145
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Quote:
I thought it could happen again... and every person who has owned a M9 or MM, that I know, have had to have the sensor replaced. I know you are a self-appointed spokesperson, and I even like Leica, but the M9/MM situation hasn`t been handled well.
It can't happen again. The replacement sensors from the last years are corrosion-proof.

jaapvphotography

Old 11-22-2018   #146
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Quote:
Based on...?
Based on the forums telling us that all have had to be replaced...

jaapvphotography

Old 11-22-2018   #147
jsrockit

Quote:
It can't happen again. The replacement sensors from the last years are corrosion-proof.
I hope this is true... but I could have sworn there have been a few that have went in twice for replacement. I may be wrong.

Old 11-22-2018   #148
colker
-

Quote:

Ebay tells me there is a lot of cameras out there which did not get replacements.

Old 11-22-2018   #149
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
I hope this is true... but I could have sworn there have been a few that have went in twice for replacement. I may be wrong.
You are right (one one thing) and wrong (on the other thing).
I had two M9 sensor replacement. This is correct.
The first sensor was replaced with the same corrosion prone sensor type.
The second sensor was replaced with the new type sensor.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 11-22-2018   #150
ptpdprinter

Quote:
I'll go out on a limb and wager that not all Leica owners follow forums, and that there are some M9 owners out there who know nothing about the corrosion issue or that their cameras might be affected. Perhaps ignorance is bliss.

Old 11-22-2018   #151
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Quote:
There were a few reports, but all of them turned out to be simply dirty.

However, the early replacements were with the old type of sensor, of those a number went in twice.

If you buy an M9 with the new type sensor, there is no problem.

jaapvphotography

Old 11-22-2018   #152
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
I'll go out on a limb and wager that not all Leica owners follow forums, and that there are some M9 owners out there who know nothing about the corrosion issue or that their cameras might be affected. Perhaps ignorance is bliss.
I even know a few who knowingly didn't replace their sensor and rely on Photoshop.

As it is, my M9 and Monochrom1 (with new sensors ) are never-sell cameras. The M240 came and went, the M10 holds no interest for me. As far as I am concerned the M9 is the optimum digital M. It sits next to my M6 classic.

jaapvphotography

Old 11-22-2018   #153
colker
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
You are right (one one thing) and wrong (on the other thing).
I had two M9 sensor replacement. This is correct.
The first sensor was replaced with the same corrosion prone sensor type.
The second sensor was replaced with the new type sensor.
That´s why buying a used one "w/ sensor replaced" is not reassuring.

Old 11-22-2018   #154
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
I even know a few who knowingly didn't replace their sensor and rely on Photoshop.

As it is, my M9 and Monochrom1 (with new sensors ) are never-sell cameras. The M240 came and went, the M10 holds no interest for me. As far as I am concerned the M9 is the optimum digital M. It sits next to my M6 classic.
My M9 sits side by side with my M3. I had a M240 as a loaner camera for many months, and while it worked flawlessly, it felt too bulky in my hands. The M9 is a classic, in my opinion. I miss having a Monochrom. I can't have them all.
Today, I have the Summicron 35/2 v1 on the M8 while my M9 has the Luy 35/1.4 on it. The M3 has on it the Hologon 16/8. Life is good.

Old 11-22-2018   #155
shawn

Quote:
That´s why buying a used one "w/ sensor replaced" is not reassuring .
You can tell the new sensor apart from the old sensor by going into the factory menu. But just buying based on 'sensor replaced' isn't enough.

Shawn

Old 11-22-2018   #156
shawn

Quote:
Ebay tells me there is a lot of cameras out there which did not get replacements.
So does KEH and other used dealers.

Shawn

Old 11-22-2018   #157
colker
-

Quote:
My M9 sits side by side with my M3. I had a M240 as a loaner camera for many months, and while it worked flawlessly, it felt too bulky in my hands. The M9 is a classic, in my opinion. I miss having a Monochrom. I can't have them all.
Today, I have the Summicron 35/2 v1 on the M8 while my M9 has the Luy 35/1.4 on it. The M3 has on it the Hologon 16/8. Life is good.
What about the image of the M9 x M240? They have very different sensors. I get used to bulk. I shot Pentax 67 for a decade. I shot movies w/a Pallard Bolex.

I want the image and a camera i can depend on.. not something that needs to go back and forth to the factory. I have left more than one camera at repair shops and never went back for them cause they wasted my work.

Old 11-22-2018   #158
raid
Dad Photographer

I prefer much more the images from the M9 over the images from the M240. I use mostly ISO 160 for subtle beach colors that the M9 best captures with its sensor. The M240 seems to be a reliable workhorse with a large battery that runs forever (it seems). The M9 can slow me down, but in the end, it works. It is not good for quick back to back photos or for very low light scenes.

Old 11-22-2018   #159
colker
-

Quote:
I prefer much more the images from the M9 over the images from the M240. I use mostly ISO 160 for subtle beach colors that the M9 best captures with its sensor. The M240 seems to be a reliable workhorse with a large battery that runs forever (it seems). The M9 can slow me down, but in the end, it works. It is not good for quick back to back photos or for very low light scenes.
There is a blog around where a guy who is into Leica and works w/ digital image... he tweaks files of the m240 to be exactly like the m9. He shoots w/ both cameras at many situations, same lens and dares us to find which camera shot each file.

Old 11-22-2018   #160
raid
Dad Photographer

That would require me to work on each image file each time. I do not have the time or patience for such image tweaks.