Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Zeiss Contax

Zeiss Contax Forum for the classic Zeiss Contax I, II, III, IIa, IIIa , G series, and if you want to push it, the nice Contax point and shoots. Some spill over from the Kievs, the Soviet copy of the Contax II/III can also be expected. Plus the ONLY production camera ever made in classic Zeiss Contax Rangefinder mount WITH TTL metering ... the Voigtlander Bessa R2C.

Contax IIa 'Zeiss Ikon'
Old 12-23-2009   #1
MISH

Contax IIa 'Zeiss Ikon'

I have seen threads on here before about the Contax IIA's with Zeiss Ikon stamped on the front of the camera body, which was done to commemerate some anniversary of the Zeiss Co. but i have never seen one for sale untill this listing at the Leica Shop in Germany
https://www.leicashop.com/vintage/co...39-p-3657.html

is it possible that they are that rare and worth that much money, or is there something else about that camera that makes it rare.
If not we can move the count to eleven as I own one. who else has one?
(not really a digital person but maybe when my son is home for Christmas I will be able to post a picture of it)

Old 12-23-2009   #2
monochromejrnl

If this is true then mine is no. 12. I have a Contax IIA with 50/1.5 Opton T* with the Zeiss Ikon stamped in the leather on the back door (but no stamp on the front leather on the shutter side)
here is the dilemma and the strength of photography... it is the easiest medium in which to be competent, but it is the hardest medium in which to have a personal vision that is readily identifiable... Chuck Close

we search for truth, sometimes we find beauty - Lisette Model

Old 12-23-2009   #3
MISH

just to make clear, i think every IIA camera has the logo on the back, the rare part would be the logo on the front

Old 01-13-2010   #4
ernesto

this is the first time I see the ZI logo on the front of a IIa IIIa II or III

Old 01-13-2010   #5
furcafe

I have 1, purchased from a former RFF member, but had no idea how rare they were (I have the English version of Kuc's book, but don't recall this particular camera being mentioned). IIRC, they were made for the 25th anniversary of the founding of the Zeiss Ikon conglomerate, but aside from the front insignia are functionally identical to regular "black dial" IIas. The gold leaf on mine had already completely worn off, though you can still make out the embossed logo.

Even if they are rare, the market will obviously determine whether the LeicaShop's price is reasonable, so we'll have to see if they manage to sell theirs. I certainly did not pay anything close to 1200 Euros & wouldn't if I were looking for 1 today.

FYI, the current link is:

https://www.leicashop.com/vintage/co...39-p-3527.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISH View Post
I have seen threads on here before about the Contax IIA's with Zeiss Ikon stamped on the front of the camera body, which was done to commemerate some anniversary of the Zeiss Co. but i have never seen one for sale untill this listing at the Leica Shop in Germany
https://www.leicashop.com/vintage/co...39-p-3657.html

is it possible that they are that rare and worth that much money, or is there something else about that camera that makes it rare.
If not we can move the count to eleven as I own one. who else has one?
(not really a digital person but maybe when my son is home for Christmas I will be able to post a picture of it)
Five a Second. Chicago's Bell & Howell Co. (cameras) announced that it would put on sale this fall the world's most expensive still camera. Its "Foton" will take five 35-mm. pictures a second, sell for $700. Bell & Howell, which has found that "families of both low and high incomes now spend over $550" for movie equipment, hopes to sell 20,000 Fotons a year.
--Facts And Figures, Time magazine, Monday, October 4, 1948
My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

My Instagram

Old 01-13-2010   #6
rgpadron
Trekker

According to Charles M. Barringer on the Zeiss Compendium, some Contax IIa and IIIa models were produced as commemorative models, showing the Zeiss Ikon logo over the self timer, released in 1951 to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the founding of Zeiss Ikon.
Greetings

Old 01-14-2010   #7
MISH

I can not belive there was so few of these made. I told my wife that if someone would pay 1200 EUR I would sell it in a heartbeat. She got so mad
I had to quickly change the subject. (when i am able to post some pictures I will have to tell the story about how I aquired My contax collection and my wife) Not at home right now but will post the serial # to see if the number is close to the one FURCAFE owns (I do remember it startes with a U)
anyway been waiting for two years on the list to send it to Henry Scherer for him to work his magic on it ......looks like I might have to wait 2 more
one note : I do know one of my IIA's was purchased from Montgomery Wards but not sure if it was this one

Last edited by MISH : 01-14-2010 at 13:48.

Old 01-15-2010   #8
burninfilm

While they may be rare, this seems to me like the type of camera people wouldn't notice, and therefore never get reported. I'm willing to bet there are a few more out there than a dozen examples.

Old 05-24-2017   #9
hilltime

Even though this post is very dated, I'm wondering if there has been any more recent information about this Zeiss Ikon stamped logo. The reason is I just recently acquired a IIA, Serial # U24XX, which seems to be in the range of #'s for these cameras. I'm sure no one will ever know the exact quantities ever produced of the IIA and IIIA models with this embossed gold logo, but is there anyone else who may have found one recently? Also it has been said they were produced in a limited amount to commemorate the 25th Anniversary of Zeiss, which I assume is 1936-1951.
Looking at the serial# range of these bodies from the sticky thread, the U# Contax IIA bodies appear to start in the beginning of 1952, if this is correct.

At one time, I did own a Contax IIA BD body Serial # U304, and it did not have this embossed front logo.

Any comments?

Gary Hill

Old 05-24-2017   #10
steveyork

I had one pass through the house years ago. An ebay find. Black dial as I recall. I don't think they're so rare.

Old 05-24-2017   #11
MISH

here is a picture of what we were talking about. I still have the camera and after a very long wait Mr Scherer did overhaul it for me. a very pretty design and a joy to use. The serial # on mine is U2149
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4811 (375x500).jpg (119.1 KB, 78 views)

Old 05-25-2017   #12
hilltime

All three or four I have seen reference to seem to be in that U2000- U2500 range. I'm wondering if they made a run of 500 or so. I have very casually been looking for one for about 20yrs, after seeing the photo in The Zeiss Compendium/ Baringer-Small and just recently found this one. Same Black Dial body, but I still think rather cool. Mine came with a 50/2 Zeiss Opton.

Gary Hill

Old 05-25-2017   #13
Elmar Lang

I've seen this thread only now and I would like to add that I have one of those IIa with Zeiss Ikon logo embossed above the self-timer lever. It was bought at a dealer in Milan, back in 2011. It sports a Zeiss Opton Sonnar 50/2 and if I'm not wrong, it's of the "U" series.

It can be possible, that due to the laws of market, the same camera, could be counted twice or more, because of their passage from a collector/photographer to another. A list of serial nos. would be useful, then.

I'm abroad now, but on my return back home in Italy, I will check the camera and communicate its number (I'm in Lausanne, Switzerland, with an Alpa outfit...).

Best,

Enzo (E.L.)

Old 05-29-2017   #14
Highway 61
Revisited

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyork View Post
I had one pass through the house years ago. An ebay find. Black dial as I recall. I don't think they're so rare.
The very same story here. Mine was the U2119. Arrived extremely rusty and not working in 2006. Went out as a clean working camera one year later. I hope it's still put at good use now.

Old 06-04-2017   #15
Elmar Lang

Being finally back home, I can update with the serial no. of my front-embossed-logo "Zeiss Ikon" Contax IIa: U 2088 with Zeiss Opton 1:2 Sonnar 50mm. s/n 686757.

E.L.

Old 06-08-2017   #16
hilltime

Kind of confirms my thoughts of a "Limited " release of 500.
Yours, U2088 and mine of U249x. Haven't heard of anything before or after.

Wonder about the IIIA? Haven't seen any #'s for them.

Gary Hill

Old 02-25-2018   #17
Jacques M.

Mine is U 1157... So, ?
Just to know: it will be for sale on eBay...

Amitiés. Jacques.

Old 02-25-2018   #18
shawn

U1169 (beat up) is on eBay with the logo mostly worn away.

Shawn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (96.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg (148.5 KB, 33 views)

Old 09-18-2018   #19
hilltime

Just discovered an update on this thread, as there is now a Zeiss Ikon Contax IIA on Ebay right now with serial # U836. This kinda blows the theory that they made a limited run of 500 or so of these as it seems now the range is from here to the one I have which is U24XX, unless they were interspersed throughout the early U serial # range.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Contax IIA (2).jpg (26.4 KB, 19 views)

That logo...
Old 09-19-2018   #20
David Hughes
David Hughes

That logo...

Hi,

I've the 1930's books; meaning catalogues, manuals etc, etc and all of them show the logo on a model II but I've never seen a model II for sale with the logo. I guess that the prototype or a pre-production one was used but the logo was dropped once production started.

Regards, David

Old 09-19-2018   #21
hilltime

They must have realized before production the gold embossing would not
wear well, as most of these "Commemorative" model IIA's show today. I do feel very lucky I found one after seeing the photo in the Zeiss Compendium,
and thinking I'd never come across one of these in my lifetime.
I will have to say the Contax IIA was my first "collectible" I ever purchased after doing a lot of research and looking at that time period. I wanted a camera that was as old as I was (Nov 1951) and it appeared to me to be a better choice than the Leica IIIF, notwithstanding the 50mm/F1.5 Sonnar which most thought to be one of the best lenses of all time.

Old 09-21-2018   #22
Elmar Lang

My "Zeiss Ikon" logo Contax-IIa has the focus impressed in feet: is the same with the other ones in this discussion?

If so, they could belong to a batch sent to the US...

Old 09-22-2018   #23
David Hughes
David Hughes

I've just noticed that in the May 1938 catalogue the Contax II shown and the III have no logo on the front. FWIW, I date these from the printer's code and this has 538, which I make May 1938, and mentions cameras becoming availbl in June 1938 and at the end of May 1938. So for once I feel safe dating the catalogue.

FWIW, the Contax II and f/2 Sonnar are priced at GBP 50 and 10 shilling (£50.50 in decimal format) or US $ 252 at pre-war exchange rates...

Regards, David

Old 12-21-2018   #24
hilltime

Just got another of these "Zeiss Ikon" front gold embossed Contax IIA BD.
I don't know why I'm drawn to these as it is no different than any of the other BD's except this front treatment. It is Ser.# U19XX which is confirming my thought these, supposed 500 commemorative models are interspersed throughout the U serial # range at least for the IIA series. Have never seen a IIIA model for sale and hopefully never do!