Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film

Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film Discuss Image processing -- traditional darkoom or digital lightroom here. Notice there are subcategories to narrow down subject matter. .

New Book: Darkroom to Digital
Old 06-08-2005   #1
GeneW

New Book: Darkroom to Digital

I received a back-ordered book from Amazon today and found it so interesting I read through it in one go. Now I'll go back and read it more carefully.

Darkroom to Digital by Eddie Ephraums

The long subtitle is: Black and White Photography with Photoshop -- The Art of Transition.

It's not a how-to book. I'd call it more of a 'why?' book. It documents the philosophical thinking Ephraums encounters while transitioning from a wet darkroom to a digital darkroom. His end goal is still a beautiful B&W print and he still prefers using B&W film, though he also likes to shoot digital cameras for some things.

He's earnest and serious: his scanner is an Imacon. I found it a good read, though you'd be disappointed with it if you expect a lot of tips and how-to's. What I find refreshing is how he's kept his Photoshop work very simple, using tools already familiar to him from his darkroom years and expanding the tool set just a little to take advantage of things that are simpler to do in Photoshop.

Good book with excellent photos to illustrate his points. I give it a 4 out of 5 rating.

Gene

Last edited by GeneW : 06-08-2005 at 13:10.

Old 06-08-2005   #2
back alley
IMAGES

someone at photo.net posted about this book also.
my local chapters bookstore had 2 copies ($44 cdn) but i was too cheap to buy it.

maybe i'll have a second look.
joe