Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

I am going to take the plunge- help me choose
Old 07-14-2009   #1
aureliaaurita

I am going to take the plunge- help me choose

I have set myself a budget of 250 for a second hand dslr with kit lens,

hopefully to buy a nice 50mm fixed at a later date

want something quite small as I don;t think i would end up taking hefty kit anyway- used to have a d80, it rarely left the house until I sold it

what lens / body would you reccomend? I have no preference as to make whichever I can get a really lovely bit of glass for...also second had of course

my only other stipulation being I would rather simpler controls none of this 'sunset mode' rubbish...although I suppose I can put up with it fo ra price.

Old 07-14-2009   #2
f16sunshine

A pentax would be my suggestion.
The ability to mount all those lovely and affordable Pk lenses is fantastic.
Not to mention M42 as well. For your budget you should be able to find a k10d second hand.

Old 07-14-2009   #3
aureliaaurita

*trotting off to take a look*

Old 07-14-2009   #4
Dave Wilkinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliceelizabeth View Post
I have set myself a budget of 250 for a second hand dslr with kit lens,

hopefully to buy a nice 50mm fixed at a later date

want something quite small as I don;t think i would end up taking hefty kit anyway- used to have a d80, it rarely left the house until I sold it

what lens / body would you reccomend? I have no preference as to make whichever I can get a really lovely bit of glass for...also second had of course

my only other stipulation being I would rather simpler controls none of this 'sunset mode' rubbish...although I suppose I can put up with it fo ra price.
For that money - you can now get ( don't laugh! ) a shiny, brand spankin new Nikon D40!....yes - I know it's 'only' 6mp, but it's enough!, dead simple, small and works a treat with my old Nikkor lenses - albeit manually.
Dave.

Old 07-14-2009   #5
lorriman

I believe you can mount even more lenses on a canon, if you can find one for that price.

Old 07-14-2009   #6
aureliaaurita

I like the look of the pentax but am still for some reason drawn to olympus

mostly for the lenses I feel but then I don't know what pentax's reputation is in that department

Old 07-14-2009   #7
david.elliott

mount the old m42 takumar lenses on the pentax. awesome lenses.

Old 07-14-2009   #8
aureliaaurita

never heard of them david! educate me please I don't want to spend more than 500 absoloute tops on a lens.

Old 07-14-2009   #9
Dave Wilkinson

Quote:
never heard of them david! educate me please I don't want to spend more than 500 absoloute tops on a lens.
500!!.....you can have a fortnight in Teneriffe as well - for that!

Old 07-14-2009   #10
david.elliott

Well thats easy. Takumar lenses range from used (doubt you will ever find a new-old-stock one) from $30 to $250 typically. $250 would be for a rather rare lens in damn good condition. Most takumar lenses are under $100.

The 50/1.4 can be had for $30 to $100 depending upon which version you get.

They are manual focus only though. Just as a heads up.

Much much more info available at pentaxforums.com, including lens reviews, sample photos, etc.

Old 07-14-2009   #11
aureliaaurita

teehee dave- I mean reallllyy nice, and not know, with two months of saving.

Old 07-14-2009   #12
Benjamin
Registered Snoozer

The Olympus E-300 or E-330 is a good bet. You can buy a million adapters to mount a million lenses as well if you want, and a lot of people do.

Much better camera than the D40, which sucks in my opinion, and small and quiet/ish as well. The VF is also on the right, so it feels more natural to mount if you normally use a rangefinder.

Just my two pence.

Old 07-14-2009   #13
tedwhite

Check out the NEW, very small Olympus DSLR. Looks like an old Olympus Pen - that's how small it is. Believe it's call an EP1. B&H has an article about it.

Old 07-14-2009   #14
aureliaaurita

I've seen them ted but they want nigh on 700 for it! which is far too steep

Old 07-14-2009   #15
Merkin
For the Weekend

I would recommend staying away from the lower end canons, the ones that are labeled 'rebel' in the states. If I am not mistaken, they are called xxxD in the UK, instead of xD or xxD, where the x's are whatever generational model number, such as 350, 30, or 5. They tend to be made very cheaply.

I would recommend going with either a Pentax or a Nikon. With both, you have the advantage of being able to use old manual focus lenses. I would choose the Pentax over the Nikon if you tend to go out a lot in poor conditions, because the pentaxes have very good weather sealing. I would choose the Nikon over the pentax if you like to use flash as the D40 is one of the few dslrs that has a 1/500th flash sync. I would also choose Nikon if you think you may want to move up to a full frame DSLR at some point in the future, as it doesn't look like pentax has any plans to go full frame any time soon. Also, if you do some shopping around, you could probably get a brand new D40 with kit lens for pretty close to 250 pounds, they are under 500 dollars here in the states now.

As to the lenses, one word of warning about off-brand pentax lenses. A number of manufacturers (most notably ricoh) used the Pentax K mount for their cameras, and a number of these lenses are very good. Unfortunately, many of them either do not mount on pentax dslrs, or they need to be modified to mount. By the same token, some of the oldest manual focus lenses won't work on the D40 without having modifications made, and there are also some autofocus lenses that won't autofocus on the D40.

Old 07-14-2009   #16
aureliaaurita

thank you merkin, I do like my ricoh so working out a way of mounting them onto a pentax would have me sold

how do I find out which lenses will mount? I will need adaptors presumably...

Old 07-14-2009   #17
Merkin
For the Weekend

no, if you look at the mount on your ricoh lenses (do you have the 50mm f/1.7? that is the lens I learned photography with, on a pentax k1000, fantastic lens), you will see a pin sticking out, probably about a half centimeter long, from the base of the mount where it attaches to the lens body. You have to remove the mount and then remove that pin. Unfortunately, it means that the lens can no longer be used properly on a ricoh film slr. As far as I know, no one has come up with a method to allow ricoh lenses to be used on ricoh film slrs and pentax digital cameras simultaneously.

Old 07-14-2009   #18
Merkin
For the Weekend

http://www.robertstech.com/compat.htm

that goes in to a bit more detail about compatibility of ricoh lenses with pentax dslrs.

Old 07-14-2009   #19
Dave Wilkinson

[quote=Benjamin;1093908]

Much better camera than the D40, which sucks in my opinion, quote]......So does our Hoover - but it too does a fine job!....amazing how hanging around the forums teaches silly expressions!

Old 07-16-2009   #20
aureliaaurita

sigh still not biting, why are people so silly to buty things above retail on ebay? and why oh why do ricoh not make a dslr yet!!!

Old 07-16-2009   #21
kshapero
Starting to get it.

Isn't this a rangefinder forum? I would think your question would be better served at dpreview. Anyway good luck on your purchase.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 07-16-2009   #22
mfunnell
Shaken, so blurred

For what it's worth, from a user of Canon SLRs, I'd go with the earlier recommendation of one of the Pentax cameras. Pentax really seems to try for as much compatability as possible with all their "legacy" lenses, they produce an interesting range of made-for-digital primes (something other manufacturers seem less than fully interested in), they produce some nicely small DSLR bodies - and the 1.5x crop-factor for their APS-C sensor seems, to me, to make better use of old lenses than the 2x crop-factor the otherwise admirable Olympus range gives you. If it were me, I'd look closely at a 2nd-hand K100D or K100D Super.

...Mike

My flickr photostream has day-to-day stuff and I've given up most everywhere else through lack of time or perhaps interest.

Old 07-16-2009   #23
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

'Cuz Ricoh knows their place in the world. I was talking to a knowledgeable camera shopkeeper today, who said that Ricoh NEVER made an SLR -- they were all jobbed out to companies like Cosina. And I presume they never made too many (if any) lenses, either. They are a brand. They are clearly in the niche of point-and-shoot. Now they may actually make the GRD, etc., I don't know. But the point is, the market for DSLRs is crowded and cutthroat. So Ricoh wisely stays where it knows it can compete.

If it were not for my affinity to Olympus and owning a bit of Zuiko glass, I would probably go Pentax for DSLR. The ability to mount K and M42 glass is pretty attractive.

Happiness is APX100 and Rodinal 1:100

A bunch o cameras. Does it really matter?
And NOW ... Fuji X-Pro1 w/ 18-55, 18/2 & adapted Zuikos and Hexanons
http://zuikoholic.tumblr.com
https://www.instagram.com/e.r.dunbar/
http://weedram.blogspot.com

Olympus e-420, or even e-520
Old 07-16-2009   #24
kuzano

Olympus e-420, or even e-520

With the sudden rash of new Olympus camera bodies, I just bought a low count e-420 for $300US. I've had e300 (2), e510 (2) and an e500. I also have an E-1 and a Panasonic L-1.

I was amazed at how small the e420 body is, and it's current technology. In fact, I was not put off by lack of IS, because I am using the Leica Elmarit 14-50 with IS. The Leica lens dwarfs the 420 body.

My reason for using Olympus is that I have a number of OM Zuiko prime and zoom lenses and am using them on Olympus 4/3 bodies. I have a near mint 50 1.4 that is perfect on the 420, along with a Zuiko 24, which gives me 50 and 100 focal length.

Compared to all the previous Oly bodies I've had, the 420 is fantastic. I was going to jump to micro 4/3, but the 420 is so diminutive, I'll stop there for the time being.

This 420 has a Katzeye split image screen for assisting with manual focus on the legacy lenses and was about $50 more than the going price for other 420's, because of the Katzeye focus screen advantage.

The e420 (low count shutters) seem to be selling at $250 to $300 US for the body, with the 520 (IS in body) seems to be about $100 more.

Kit lenses (14-42 and 40-150) seem to be selling at $90 to $120 US.

That sounds to be in your budget, is very current, and should hold those values for a bit. Oly's 4/3 sensor is matching most of the ASP-c sensors I have compared it to. For instance, I ran one of my Oly 510's with Kit lens, against a Rebel XSi (12mp) with the canon kit lens. Shot a number of duplicate, tripod mounted pictures matching shots. The Oly matched the Canon images throughout the shots. Granted there are other factors to consider, but Olympus is ahead on physical size, and matching enough for my standards on IQ.

My current 4/3 inventory is The E-1, the Panasonic L1, and the 420. The 420 is the camera going out the door with me more every day. I will probably sell the E-1 and hang on to the L1 because of it's unique analog style controls, but the e420 is the preferred camera right now, for size, and IQ advantages.

Some of the best prices you will find on Olympus equipment will be on the classified section of the forum at

www.fourthirdsphoto.com

Take a look. Always a lot of items rolling through and at respectable prices.

Last edited by kuzano : 07-16-2009 at 21:22.

Old 07-19-2009   #25
aureliaaurita

this is a rangefinder forum yes, but people here know their stuff

besides which- I cannot afford a 'digital' rangefinder, given that the cheapest come in at 2000 be inclusive, I contribute elsewhere on this forum...don't see why this i such an obtuse question to be asking with so many responses.

I am still hovering around the olympus 410 / 420s

pentax appeals but the manner in which you mount the ricohs sounds barbaric- I'm a little afraid of such things, it took all my metal to ductape a holga

thank you for teh help all, it has not gone unheeded.....stalking some internet auctions as we speak.

Old 07-19-2009   #26
Dave Wilkinson

Quote:
this is a rangefinder forum yes, but people here know their stuff

besides which- I cannot afford a 'digital' rangefinder, given that the cheapest come in at 2000 be inclusive, I contribute elsewhere on this forum...don't see why this i such an obtuse question to be asking with so many responses.

I am still hovering around the olympus 410 / 420s

pentax appeals but the manner in which you mount the ricohs sounds barbaric- I'm a little afraid of such things, it took all my metal to ductape a holga

thank you for teh help all, it has not gone unheeded.....stalking some internet auctions as we speak.
Don't heed these 'purists' - yes it is a rangefinder forum, but I would bet that most of the use here nowadays (and a lot of the pictures posted) are from DSLR or digital compact!
Dave.

Old 07-19-2009   #27
tedwhite

Regarding Pentax. I've been using them for decades. Dead simple, wonderfully reliable, small bodies, great lenses. Currently using both film (Spotmatics) and digital (K20D) Pentax cameras. My first Pentax DSLR was the *istDS (silly name). Only 6 megapixels but that seemed to be enough, made some quite nice 11X14's. So all my old M42 Super Takumar screw-mount lenses - I have seven - go right on ($25 adapter). As others have stated, these lenses can be had cheaply and they're very good. You set the camera on manual and aperture preferred, focuse wide open, then stop down, and the camera does the rest. Really very easy. Of course, their made-for-DSLR lenses are all AF.

IMHO, it's the least expensive way to get into DSLR photography.

Old 07-19-2009   #28
35mmdelux
#Represent

Wit them kind of shillings Id get a PS digicam. Maybe a Canon 880 PowerShot thingy and have money left over for a nice memory chip. 14mp, take anywhere.

Old 07-19-2009   #29
jamiewakeham
Long time lurker

Huge point in favour of a Pentax - in-the-body image stabilisation! As long as the subject's not moving too fast, you can easily get away with handholding a 50mm at 1/15th and a 35mm at 1/10th; maybe even less. A K10D with a fast prime is a wonderful low-light tool.

On the negative side, if you're a fan of flash then steer clear. Flash metering is nowhere near as good as Canon's.

Cheers
Jamie

Old 07-19-2009   #30
aureliaaurita

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35mmdelux View Post
Wit them kind of shillings Id get a PS digicam. Maybe a Canon 880 PowerShot thingy and have money left over for a nice memory chip. 14mp, take anywhere.
if I were sticking with compact I would stick with my ricoh

don't forget it's 250 sterling, translates to about $400

I've spotted quite a few going for less so far

lots of votes for a pentax, haven't really done my research on that front as I have spent the afternoon entering competitions for the new olympus pen

Old 07-19-2009   #31
aizan

you can get a used olympus e-420 and the consumer kit zoom for a little bit over your budget. if you can live without image stabilization, that would be my recommendation. add the 25mm pancake later on for a really small package.

Old 07-19-2009   #32
kuvvy

For that dosh I've got a mint Oly e420 for sale if you're interested aliceelizabeth. Barely used really, working perfectly of course, in fact used it yesterday to shoot at my daughters wedding and I'll include a Zuiko 50mm 1.8 and OM/4thirds adaptor. M me.

Ipernity Gallery

Flickr gallery

Old 07-19-2009   #33
aureliaaurita

hello kuvvy I'm being dippy and cannot find your message button! message me and I will endeavour to reply

Old 07-21-2009   #34
fuji645

Thumbs up

Quote:
I like the look of the pentax but am still for some reason drawn to olympus

mostly for the lenses I feel but then I don't know what pentax's reputation is in that department
Just bought a Pentax K2000 with a 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 kit lens, 10.2M. Great camera, sharp lens. Viewfinder is excellent with 85% lifesize view. I've used Pentax Takumar lenses in the past (had a great 105 mm 2.5 screw mount years ago). Give Pentax a try--you won't be disappointed.

Old 07-21-2009   #35
Chris101
summicronia

Quote:
hello kuvvy I'm being dippy and cannot find your message button! message me and I will endeavour to reply
Don't be dippy AE! Click on his name and a menu will appear. One of the choices is send a message.