Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

What is this gizmo?
Old 06-07-2018   #1
Steve M.

What is this gizmo?

In a box-o-stuff my friend gave me was this do-dad. It has two cold shoes. When you tighten the thing down everything locks into place, and it also locks what must be the chrome tripod mount as well. I haven't a clue as to what t is.

https://i.imgur.com/4xM4XUV.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/LkUIFkq.jpg

Old 06-07-2018   #2
Robert Lai

I think this is to mount 1 or two extra flash units on a light stand or tripod. Back in the days of bulb flashes, there are unpowered units called "extension flashes". You use an extension cord from your main unit to the extension flash. The extension flash is mounted off camera, to illuminate the background, or to act as a main light, hair light, etc.

The extension flashes that I own have 1/4" x 20 tpi sockets in the bottom. However, it's easy enough to buy tripod screw to cold shoe adapters, screw these onto the bottom of the flash, and slide the flash shoe into the cold shoe of this unit.

With the device that you have, you can also use electronic flash in the cold shoes, AS LONG AS THE FLASH UNIT DOES NOT HAVE A HOT SHOE! If it has a hot shoe, the metal of the cold shoe will create an ongoing short circuit. This also applies to bulb flash units such as the Nikon BC-7, which incorporates a hot shoe.

Old 06-07-2018   #3
Steve M.

Thanks Robert. I can count the number of times I've used a flash on one hand, so anything related to that is a complete unknown to me. It's built very nicely, and I enjoy twiddling the little black knob :]