Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex

TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex another alternative to the dreaded SLR way of seeing, this forum for all format TLR cameras

Mamiyaflex C2 WLF replacement?
Old 09-11-2018   #1
Jerevan
Recycled User

Mamiyaflex C2 WLF replacement?

The mailman came with a Mamiyaflex C2 today. I've had a few Mamiya TLRs before, so I am looking forward to check out in the field soon.

The camera needs some cleaning but looks okay this far. The only thing that bothers me a bit is the waist level finder - it is a bit out of shape - the construction is less sturdy than on the later models.

I am not sure I will be able to repair it, so ...

Does anyone know if the later waist level finders would fit the C2 (with perhaps some modifications?)

Old 09-11-2018   #2
Bill Clark

I have several. Haven’t tried your question on finders.

Google “C2 wlf replacement.”

Here is some info compiled that covers a lot of Mamiya TLR history:

http://grahamp.dotinthelandscape.org/mfaq/m_faq.pdf

Old 09-11-2018   #3
Jerevan
Recycled User

Well, well ... I found someone over on the site formerly known as APUG that apparently tried putting the C3 viewfinder on a C2 and it should work. That's at least a start.

Thanks Bill for reminding me to try some other word combo when searching.

Old 09-11-2018   #4
Nokton48

If I were you I would try to put a Mamiya TLR Stovepipe finder on it. Should be do-able and that is a great finder.

I have owned a C2 and it was absolutely my favorite knock-around TLR. I Miss it.... primitive but somehow quite lovable.

like this one :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mamiya-3-5x...cAAOSw52tbYmqe

Old 09-11-2018   #5
Robert Lai

I have a C2 that I bought here on RFF. It came with the chrome 105mm f/3.5 lens, mirror finder as well as standard WLF, and handgrip. Everything came in the original boxes. The camera was in unbelievably near mint condition mechanically. The only thing wrong was that the old vinyl covering had cracked. The price for this gem with all the accessories was $110. I had Frank Marshman overhaul it, and put brand new leatherette on the sides. Now it really is gorgeous. Even with Frank's overhaul, the kit was $230.
I also have a C220F, from RFF. That one is nice also.

In spite of the more "primitive" appearance of the C2, I love it. It just has such an earnest look to it.

To the point: any of the later finders fit and work perfectly on the C2. This includes the magnifying chimney finder, the metered finders, and the prisms.

Old 09-12-2018   #6
Jerevan
Recycled User

Thanks for the assurance that a newer WLF works - I have ordered one. In the meantime, rubberband is the thing.

This far, I think I am going to enjoy this one, once I get a few other smaller things in order.

Old 09-12-2018   #7
Nokton48

Here's some replacement leather for C2:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mamiyaflex-...sAAOSwL7VWnreF

I made my own replacement, using sheet leather, and Elmer's Glue to hold it on the Mamiyaflex. I made a paper pattern first.

Old 09-13-2018   #8
Jerevan
Recycled User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
Here's some replacement leather for C2:

/ .../

I made my own replacement, using sheet leather, and Elmer's Glue to hold it on the Mamiyaflex. I made a paper pattern first.
Hugostudio is my first choice for new camera clothes, I am going to get something from them. I guess the leather should be a bit thinner than usual, considering how the original leather looks like on the C2.

Old 09-16-2018   #9
Jerevan
Recycled User

Hmm ... really need to get this one off to the doctor - it seems that it is slipping the gears very slightly when I focus. The vagaries of old stuff from the 'Bay ...

Old 09-17-2018   #10
Jerevan
Recycled User

To end this story, I got the WLF today - it looks a bit odd with the different cover, but it works really well.