Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Zeiss Contax

Zeiss Contax Forum for the classic Zeiss Contax I, II, III, IIa, IIIa , G series, and if you want to push it, the nice Contax point and shoots. Some spill over from the Kievs, the Soviet copy of the Contax II/III can also be expected. Plus the ONLY production camera ever made in classic Zeiss Contax Rangefinder mount WITH TTL metering ... the Voigtlander Bessa R2C.

classic lens on modern camera?
Old 09-15-2018   #1
vfrazz
vincent

classic lens on modern camera?

I've done some searching, but not finding. I'm interested in mounting a 1938 Contax lens (probably a 50mm) on any camera body with a meter. I do believe the Bessa R2C will do it, but I can't believe the price! Any others, please?

Old 09-15-2018   #2
shawn

The R2C is the only camera it will mount to directly with a built in meter.

Otherwise you are looking at adapters to convert the Contax mount to another camera mount. That could be Leica mount (film or digital).

If digital is OK you could adapt it to most mirrorless cameras with the appropriate adapter. I use my Contax on a Fuji mirrorless camera. The adapter was around $60. The field of view could vary depending upon the sensor size of the camera you are adapting to.

Shawn

Old 09-15-2018   #3
Ccoppola82

I use a 1934 Sonnar 50 1.5 with an amadeo adapter and use it on both my M6 and Xpro2. Pricy, but the lens is really fun.

Instagram
Coppola_Art

Old 09-15-2018   #4
peterm1

A contax to Leica adapter is available but is not cheap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Contax-Rang...gAAOxyzpdTjqBZ

Though you may not wish to use your on a Leica, Leica M mount is a bit more ubiquitous than Contax and may provide more options. If you are willing to go digital of course mirrorless cameras then become a very real and competitive option because Leica to mirrorless adapters are cheap and can be stacked with your Contax to Leica adapter.

If not and price is a real consideration why not use it on a Kiev (Russian copy of a Contax) with an accessory voigtlander VC meter mounted on the accessory shoe. The meter is not especially cheap either though but it does provide a few more options and effectively provides you with a metered camera (or sorts) mounting a contax lens.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Excellent-V...cAAOSw-UNbdJ3r

Old 09-15-2018   #5
Robert Lai

The original way is to use a Contax III or IIIa.
Cheaper alternatives include the Kiev III/IIIa, 4, 4M, 4AM.

All have selenium meters.
Henry Scherer puts new selenium meters into the Contax when he overhauls them. I don't know how much stock he has left though.
The later Kievs still have working meters.

Old 09-15-2018   #6
raid
Dad Photographer

So you want to use the 1938 Contax mount on a film camera or a digital camera?
I have a 1938 Zeiss lens in ltm mount (converted from Contax). It is a great lens overall.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 09-15-2018   #7
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Contax IIIa has a meter with modern enough speed scale to be usable.

Old 09-16-2018   #8
vfrazz
vincent

...thanks for the responses...appears to be a no-go for me...I've photographed with G's and Arias, and was hoping a "modern" body might accept the old classic lens, rather than the older Contax/Russian bodies, but...

message Raid: hoped to fit to a film camera...

Old 09-16-2018   #9
raid
Dad Photographer

If you had aimed at a modern digital camera, I would have suggested a cheap M 4/3 such as Olympus E-PL1 with a $15 adapter.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 09-16-2018   #10
Contarama

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrazz View Post
...thanks for the responses...appears to be a no-go for me...I've photographed with G's and Arias, and was hoping a "modern" body might accept the old classic lens, rather than the older Contax/Russian bodies, but...

Leitax.com ???

Old 09-16-2018   #11
splitimageview

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrazz View Post

It won’t work on an SLR, as it wouldn’t focus to infinity. only adapting option is an interchangeable lens RF, that reduces the choice to a body with a Leica M bayonet...there are quality adapters for this but they aren’t cheap. R2C may be the best option

Old 10-05-2018   #12
Elveri

Raid, I believe you once had both the 1.5 and 2.0 versions of the postwar Zeiss Jena Sonnars (you mentiones having bought the 1.5 after owning the f2. Did you get to compare the two? If yes, could you comment here on them (out of focus rendering, microcontrast, etc)?