Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Travel camera advice
Old 02-10-2019   #1
bjolester

Travel camera advice

I am going to travel to the USA later this spring and am planning what camera(s) to bring along for the trip. On my last travels abroad I have brought along only a Pentax MX with a Voigtländer Ultron 40/2, and my iPhone 8 Plus. (I like to travel light). Film for quality shots and iPhone for snapshots. Although I enjoy shooting film, I find travelling with film to be a bit of a hassle (airport security/scanning). I own several Pentax DSLRs, but I find their size makes them unsuitable as travel cameras. If I had had the money, I would have loved to check out a mirrorless camera like the Fujifilm X-E3, which seems like a perfect combination of image quality and compactness. But for the time being I guess I will have to bring along what I already have. My travel camera options are:

- Pentax MX with the Voigtländer Ultron 40/2 (or 28mm + 50mm)
- Pentax Espio 24EW
- Sigma DP1s
- iPhone 8 Plus

I have also been looking at "vintage" second hand digital compact cameras like the Lumix GF1, LX3 or LX5, Fujifilm X10 and Olympus MFT 12mp cameras, which can be had for little money, but I am not sure how much of an improvement this would be.

Maybe I should just go for the Pentax MX + iPhone combination? What do you think?

I am grateful for any advice about travel cameras!