Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M -- Leica CL / Minolta CLE

Leica M -- Leica CL / Minolta CLE This forum is about all things Leica CL and Minolta CLE, remarkable compact M cameras

Little Pouch to Carry Lenses?
Old 1 Week Ago   #1
the.ronin

Little Pouch to Carry Lenses?

What do you guys use to carry around lenses and extra film? This camera is so small using my usual Domke camera case just seems way overkill. But stuffing a 90mm and 40mm in my pockets along with a couple extra rolls is pushing it for me. What do you guys use to carry your gear if your only bringing out the CL?

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
back alley
IMAGES

domke 5xa is a good small bag.

xe3...xt20...xe2...xe1
16/23/23/27/35/50/56/60/55-200

Old 1 Week Ago   #3
oftheherd

Go to your local thrift store. Look in their bag section. You should find a variety small bags, some with movable pockets. I have done that for a Mamiya Six and a Weltini, as well as a Luna Pro SBC and some filters. May not look sexy, but it works and doesn't advertise 'CAMERA!' like some bags.

Old 1 Week Ago   #4
DanskDynamit

my pockets.

Old 1 Week Ago   #5
David Hughes

Leica sold a very nice case for the CL with both lenses and space exactly right for two boxes of 35mm film. Officially it's a "CombinationCase for CL" and is code 14 825. It's very useful, I've had one for decades.

Talking of CL bits has anyone ever seen a CL's short wrist strap or 14 197?

You often see cases on ebay here but never the wrist straps...

Regards, David

Last edited by David Hughes : 1 Week Ago at 12:09. Reason: Second thoughts.

Old 1 Week Ago   #6
presspass
filmshooter

Domke also made, and maybe still makes, a belt pouch that would hold those two lenses and a couple of rolls of film. There is no provision, however, for an over-the-shoulder strap. Any of the cheap leather belly packs would also work. Or wear an old field jacket and just put them in the pockets.

Old 1 Week Ago   #7
wjlapier

Some scoff at leather lens pouches. I like the Contax G lens pouches for Leica lenses myself. Another option I tried was the rear cap that you can attach two lenses back to back.

Old 1 Week Ago   #8
jbharrill1

I use a very cheap manfrotto messenger style bag that holds my cl with attached canon 50mm 1.8, Minolta himatic 7sii, 4/5 rolls of film and occasionally a Olympus stylus epic if it isn't in my pocket. In the future I plan on purchasing an m4-2 which will take the spot of the himatic in the bag and fill out the bag quite perfectly. There is also a space on the side for at least one more lens.

So all in all 2 rangefinders with lenses attached, one extra lens, 4-5 rolls of film, point and shoot, batteries and a few other tiny pieces here and there. The bag was 40 bucks and doesn't scream Leica inside but still does exactly what I need it to.

Old 1 Week Ago   #9
brennanphotoguy

I'm about to pick up a Peak Design Field Pouch to hold film/lenses for events. Otherwise, lenses go in my pockets. Use hoods and/or filters, your lenses won't get scratched.

Old 1 Week Ago   #10
dourbalistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennanphotoguy View Post
I'm about to pick up a Peak Design Field Pouch to hold film/lenses for events. Otherwise, lenses go in my pockets. Use hoods and/or filters, your lenses won't get scratched.
Peak Design also makes a smaller Range Pouch, available in 3 different sizes.

Old 1 Week Ago   #11
brennanphotoguy

Saw those too. I'd rather carry one pouch on my belt rather than a few different ones.

Old 1 Week Ago   #12
zuiko85

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheherd View Post
Go to your local thrift store. Look in their bag section. You should find a variety small bags, some with movable pockets. I have done that for a Mamiya Six and a Weltini, as well as a Luna Pro SBC and some filters. May not look sexy, but it works and doesn't advertise 'CAMERA!' like some bags.
Yep, same here. I drop by a local Value Village on Tuesday's (senior discount day) and have picked up quite useable bags in all sizes. Never paid more than $6 for the largest, most are under $2 and that is before the discount for us grumpy old guys.

Old 1 Week Ago   #13
Robert Lai

Op tech lens hood hats:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...op+Nav-Search=

You can use them to cover the lens hood, in order to cap a lens quickly. If they are large enough, they can hold your entire lens. I use them to prevent the lenses from knocking against themselves in my camera bag.
Op Tech does make "Lens sleeves" (see farther down the page on the link above), which are to hold the lens body while the hood hat goes over the hood.

Old 1 Week Ago   #14
De_Corday
Eternal Student

I have a domke f5xa that usually totes my M6 when I go out with a full kit (M6 + 3 lenses) but lately, now that the weather is cooler, the whole shebang fits in the patch pockets on my jacket. M6 with a 40mm fits in one pocket, lenses and film in the other. With a CL you should have even more leeway?

I've had a hankering for the smaller Peak Design bags lately.

Old 1 Week Ago   #15
the.ronin

Hey thanks everyone these are all really good recommendations. I like the domke pouch. I got curious and found a UK ebay listing of that combinationcase ... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-L...591?nav=SEARCH

Old 1 Week Ago   #16
Godfrey
somewhat colored

The new Peak Design "Everyday Sling 5L" model looks like it will be my next bag.

https://www.peakdesign.com/product/b...ryday-sling-5/

That's the size I've been looking for to use when riding my motorcycle or bicycle if I want to carry the Leica M-D + two-three lenses. I have other bags of similar size, but they're not ideal for carrying when riding a two wheeler because they move around too much, and the Everyday Sling 10L bag is a bit too large for what I'm after.

G

Old 1 Week Ago   #17
ACullen

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennanphotoguy View Post
I tried the Field Pouch this summer. I tried a number of configurations but it worked best holding a couple of ZM Zeiss lens, film and Sekonic meter, whilst having my M2 around my neck. On the same trip it held either my XA or X100, plus film. This was a good combo for city trips. My CL plus a CV40 fits in fine.

Old 1 Week Ago   #18
JoeLopez

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.ronin View Post
What do you guys use to carry around lenses and extra film? This camera is so small using my usual Domke camera case just seems way overkill. But stuffing a 90mm and 40mm in my pockets along with a couple extra rolls is pushing it for me. What do you guys use to carry your gear if your only bringing out the CL?
I recently picked up the Domke F-34M 15-Inch Protective Wrap to protect my X100T while in my daily carry backpack. These pouches are well built and do a great job. They have different sizes, one may be helpful to you.

Other gear: Nikon FE2, F3/T & D7100, Fuji X100T
Nikkor 50mm f1.8, 28mm f2.8 E, Voigtlander 40mm f/2.0 Ultron SL

My Flickr | My ebay | Instagram

Old 1 Week Ago   #19
brennanphotoguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
The new Peak Design "Everyday Sling 5L" model looks like it will be my next bag.

That's the size I've been looking for to use when riding my motorcycle or bicycle if I want to carry the Leica M-D + two-three lenses. I have other bags of similar size, but they're not ideal for carrying when riding a two wheeler because they move around too much, and the Everyday Sling 10L bag is a bit too large for what I'm after.

G
Same. I felt literally the exact same way. I'm going to order one tomorrow morning (payday) in black. I absolutely hated the other two color ways. Gonna see if I can get someone to get me the black 20L backpack for Christmas to carry around larger kits.

Old 1 Week Ago   #20
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

I use a nice soft leather belly bag that will hold 3 lenses and a couple batteries and some business cards. Hides nicely under my dunlap.

Old 1 Week Ago   #21
BillBingham2

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
Leica sold a very nice case for the CL with both lenses and space exactly right for two boxes of 35mm film. Officially it's a "CombinationCase for CL" and is code 14 825. It's very useful, I've had one for decades. ......
+1

I got my years back put a M4-P with a 35/3.5 mounted on it and a 90/4 down below. In addition to a couple of rolls of film I put my Sekonic 318 in there too. I had a thin nylon neck strap (Nikon FM/E era) on the body and a wrist strap on the meter.

If you really want a single lens bag to put on your belt look in the climbing gear area at REI for a talcum power bag, they work well for this purpose (I'm not a climber).

B2 (;->

Old 1 Week Ago   #22
Fraser

Have a look at thinktank, domke or newswear.

Old 1 Week Ago   #23
:: Mark

I am using a Tenba BYOB 7 with packlite shell at the moment. It can hold an M7, spare lens and a couple of rolls of film in addition to odds and ends (like a cell phone). Normally I leave the camera out of the bag (it is on me...) and carry instead a block of five films and odds and ends such as spare glasses and/or an ereader.

Old 6 Days Ago   #24
JoeLopez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post

G
That is a very nice bag.

Other gear: Nikon FE2, F3/T & D7100, Fuji X100T
Nikkor 50mm f1.8, 28mm f2.8 E, Voigtlander 40mm f/2.0 Ultron SL

My Flickr | My ebay | Instagram

Old 6 Days Ago   #25
brennanphotoguy

I ordered the Peak Design 5L Sling and the Field Pouch. It'll be here Monday. I'll post some pics when it comes in.

Old 6 Days Ago   #26
Ronald M

Leica made a compartmented case for cl + 40 + 90. I can squeeze in a film M instead.