Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Old 07-28-2017   #41
Swift1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelvandal View Post
This is one of my favorite photos that I have seen in the last 5 years or so. Such a great moment to capture. Thanks for sharing
Thank you, I'm glad you like it

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website

Old 07-28-2017   #42
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

In August 2008, I was getting married abroad. My friends traveled all the way from Greece to Poland to attend the wedding ceremony. They took the flight to Berlin and from there on the train to Poznan - I agreed to meet them at the train station.

I had with me an old Zenit 12XP, my mother-in-law found it on the basement of my brother-in-law's new house. Instead of throwing it away she gave it to me and I loaded it with the only black and white film that the little town nearby was selling - ilford XP2.

I had a couple of hours before the train with my friends arrived so i decided to roam around the train station and take some pictures. Got some snaps until i realized two nuns were walking towards me. I was standing next to the staircase that takes you other platforms. They were so deeply engrossed in their conversation that they did not notice me standing above them and take the picture whilst they were going down the stairs.

The lady on the left was so animated but not in an angry way. Spoke in a loud voice and made gestures with her hands. The other one kept quite, minded not to step on her tunic on her way down. Wondered what they were talking about...

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram

Old 07-28-2017   #43
Scrambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinWinter View Post
Scrambler, Love the photo, especially the irregular edges. I used to not crop my darkroom prints to get that kind of edge but cant get it scanning anymore. Is that a scan from the neg or from a print? I desperately want those edges back!
Thankyou. It's a flatbed scan of the negative. I came to do it under glass but can't recall if this was done that way or with the negative holders.

Old 07-28-2017   #44
gnuyork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift1 View Post
This is probably my all-time favorite photo that I have taken. I took this in early 2013, and I had been living with ALS for around 6 years by then. At that point I could still walk very short distances, but I couldn't lift a camera up to my eye. I had just loaded a test roll into a recently serviced Pentax KM, and needed to shoot it to make sure it was working correctly. My 5 year old daughter was playing in the back yard on her trampoline, so I walked out, set the camera to 1/500 f/8 (IIRC), preset the focus to around 12 feet (35mm lens), and just held the camera at my waist and shot. I shot 2 frames, this is the 2nd one and is pretty much as shot with no cropping or rotation.
This September, this photo will be in two galleries (one in London, UK. and one in Johnson City, Tennessee) as part of a Film Shooters Collective curated group show.

This photo is fantastic.

Old 07-28-2017   #45
Schuter

I'm enjoying this thread...Thank you, Lynn, for conceiving it.

This image is one of my favorites, if only for the memories it invokes. I was living and working in Madrid, Spain in the early '90s. I left work around 5:00 every evening and wandered the streets of downtown Madrid photographing everything. One of my favorite areas was Puerta Del Sol, a main plaza in the center of the city. This lady was there every day, feeding the pigeons, and had been doing that for years. She had names for dozens of them, and was even able to identify parent-offspring relationships among the pigeons. This pigeon was named Pirriquin.

Minolta X-700, Probably 135mm lens, Ilford XP1

Old 07-28-2017   #46
peterm1

I don't know that this is my "best" photo (not sure I have one - there are many I like) but it certainly IS one I like. Like many of my shots it demonstrates the benefits of carrying a camera at all times - I seldom know in advance what I intend shooting. On this occasion, I was in a small coffee shop in a nearby Adelaide Hills town having a coffee on my own. This was not a photographic expedition. I was sitting outside on an enclosed verandah and noticed the people around me and inside. This photo was pure serendipity - as are many that turn out well. While I liked the expression of the main subject, and this was a reason for making the shot, I had not really noticed how nice the window reflections, lighting and shadows were till I got the image onto my computer screen. That is about all that can be said - like they say: "have a camera and be there" is good advice for making good images. The camera by the way was an Olympus OM D EM5. The lens details and lens aperture are not recorded in EXIF so I probably was using a legacy lens with an adapter but do not recall. It was processed in Paintshop Pro.

Cafe Study 15 by Life in Shadows, on Flickr
Save
Save
Save

I also like this one very much. Its a "nothing" photo in the sense that there is no point or message to it - it is just one I like very much because of the mix of people and its light/shadows and reflections. It was shot at the same location and under near identical circumstances (me, coffee, a camera and time to kill) shot a few weeks later than the previous one but in this case looking in the opposite direction -towards the outside rather than the inside. The image was not shot directly - it is actually a photo of a reflection in the window a technique I particularly like for its added artistic interpretation and interest.

Cafe Study by Life in Shadows, on Flickr
Save
Save

Old 07-28-2017   #47
lynnb

Schuter, wonderful photo. And Colton, yours too.
And others too - this thread is exceeding my expectations!
Flickr

Old 07-28-2017   #48
x-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuter View Post
I'm enjoying this thread...Thank you, Lynn, for conceiving it.

This image is one of my favorites, if only for the memories it invokes. I was living and working in Madrid, Spain in the early '90s. I left work around 5:00 every evening and wandered the streets of downtown Madrid photographing everything. One of my favorite areas was Puerta Del Sol, a main plaza in the center of the city. This lady was there every day, feeding the pigeons, and had been doing that for years. She had names for dozens of them, and was even able to identify parent-offspring relationships among the pigeons. This pigeon was named Pirriquin.

Minolta X-700, Probably 135mm lens, Ilford XP1
Really nice image!

Old 07-28-2017   #49
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

I have so many that have personal feelings associated with them and happen to be good photographs too but the one that is probably the most important I took is this one following.
Sometime in mid-November, 2004, Fallujah, Iraq. My squad is on patrol on a side street just off MSR Michigan, maybe ten or so blocks from the Euphrates river. I'm right behind a squad-mate, Petty Officer Dickenson and I see a few photos up ahead of him on the ground. I catch up to him, compose, focus, compose, click, wind, click. This is the second photo. I took it with my Leica M4 and a DR Summicron. Film was decade expired Plus-X, developed in ID-11.

Phil Forrest

Old 07-28-2017   #50
Schuter

Lynn, X-Ray,
Thank you for your kind words...All of the images posted so far certainly stand on their own with no explanation necessary. That said, I am enjoying reading the backstory behind each one. Long live this thread.

Old 07-28-2017   #51
michaelwj
----------------

A bit intimidating with everything that's been before, starting with Lynn's excellent shot, but here goes...

This shot is one I have won some awards for, and is framed in my parents house. It's the photo that I've had the most positive feedback on, but despite that, I don't have it hanging in my house, and I don't have an emotional connection to it. However, it represents a pivotal moment for me in photography.

It is a shot of the South Curl Curl pool, on the northern beaches of Sydney at night, during a big southerly storm. My parents live just across the road from it, you can see the pool from there living room. I'd had the idea of getting this shot of the pool for quite a while, but whenever I'd shot it through the day or in colour it never worked. At one point I had an idea of what I wanted the phot to look like, I needed a big storm at night, and the surf flowing around the pool would give me the look I wanted during a long exposure. When the conditions were right, I ran down and shot a roll and the shot turned out how I had imagined.

This was the first time that I had pre visualised what I wanted the end result to look like and had managed to execute my vision as I had hoped. Interestingly it also marked a step away from shooting colour (I hadn't shot much before this shot) and a move away from shooting landscapes and more towards shooting people. It is essentially the last good "landscape" photo I took, and the first good black and white photo I took.

M6, CV 2.5/35, Tmax100, 30sec @ f/11.

Old 07-28-2017   #52
Richard G

Picked this in my Gallery picks a couple of weeks ago. Great story. A fitting tribute to Lynn's idea for this thread as he's taken a few here too.

Old 07-28-2017   #53
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G View Post
Picked this in my Gallery picks a couple of weeks ago. Great story. A fitting tribute to Lynn's idea for this thread as he's taken a few here too.
Thanks Richard, I saw that and was suitably chuffed. Lynn lives just around the corner as it turns out!

Old 07-28-2017   #54
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

One of my best portraits (for me) which unfortunately turned bad. I was asked to take some photographs by the subject and made the trip to her area and found a suitable location with the light I was looking for, then took a series of shots on a Sunday morning. She initially liked them ... then decided she didn't and what followed was a very unpleasant experience ... verbal abuse on line etc and the whole process made me a little wary of photographing people who's backgrounds I was unfamiliar with.

I have no regrets but in hindsight there are times when one would better be advised photographing unicorns.

Old 07-29-2017   #55
BernardL

Between 2010 and 2013 I made several trips to the Very Large Telescope (VLT) of Europe's Southern Observatories (ESO) in the desertic Northern Chile. Sometimes, I would shift the return flight to France by a couple of days and use these on my own to explore the lost mines around Antofagasta or, further north, near Iquique, with a couple cameras and a supply of film. On the last trip, in Nov 2013, I planned no such margin for free time, but as a matter of principle took with me my GSW645 and a few rolls of Neopan400.

Having worked diligently and met no major problem, I finished the planned tasks one day early. And... a colleague had a reserved taxi to Antofagasta (2hr drive), early morning. So I went along, rented a car at the airport, and back into the desert. Discovered that place I had passed by previously: Chacabuco. One of the many abandoned nitrate mines, with a special history: used as a detention camp under the Pinochet dictatorship. The tourist buses had come and gone in the morning, and, that afternoon, I had the place all to myself, and an interesting chat with the keeper.

Anyway, in ~2 hours, I went through 3 rolls of Neopan400/120, then back to Antofagasta to catch the evening plane to Santiago. Once developed, I was pleased with the results. If I have to single out one of the images, it is the one below. The rest can be seen on http://www.ipernity.com/doc/1784150/album/825676 (some from previous trips, including at Humberstone and Santa Laura).

Old 07-29-2017   #56
gnuyork

This is probably my personal favorite of mine. I was still in college but home for a fall break and went to a farm market with my family (and girlfriend at the time if I recall) to select a pumpkin for Halloween. The photo was later published that year (along with another) in a calendar contest and it was the 2nd place photo.

I shot it with my dad's Minolta SRT 201 and a Rokkor 50 1.8 (which he gave to me recently) on Plus X (miss this film!) Developed in D76. Taken circa 1996 in Homer, NY.

This is a scan, obviously. I tried to mimic in Photoshop the steps I took to make the final print. I remember in college having only one sheet of paper left to make this print, and I took a long time and a lot of scraps to make test strips for where and how much I needed to dodge or burn. I made very detailed notes in a notebook that I still have somewhere of all of my test strip results, I sketched the scene of the photos an added +secs or -secs in specific areas so when it came time to make the print I would not mess it up. I had one chance! I still have the print stored somewhere. I should get it out, frame it and hang it up.

Old 07-30-2017   #57
Bob Michaels
nobody special

Vinales Cuba is a top tourist destination. 99.9% of the tourists spend a day or two viewing the incredible valleys, sheer rock faces, prehistoric painting, take a horseback ride through the tobacco fields and then leave. The closest they come to the people is buying some cigars from a local who rolls them at home from the world famous leaf they grow there.

About 6-7 years ago I was walking down the big hill from the local graveyard and spied an old man and woman under a tree in their backyard taking a break from rebuilding their house. I had to go visit and first met Manolo, a pig farmer. He had never met a foreigner before and believed that if he leaned close enough in my face and spoke loud enough that I could understand his Spanish. I always go visit and photograph them whenever I am in town. This photo was from a later visit when he ran down and caught a baby pig for my photo. I learned he was 97 years old then. I still stop and visit, bringing my sister and Cuban significant other to meet him last year. After I photographed Manolo and my sister she said the expression on her face was because he was feeling her ass as I was taking the photo. I have many photos of Manolo but this is one of my favorites.

camera geek ****: Shot with a Zeiss Ikon RF using either a Hexanon 28 f2.8 or a ZI 28mm f2.8 using either Neopan 400, HP5 or Tri-X. I am sure the experts can pick out which lens and which film.

Old 07-30-2017   #58
peterm1

This is one of my more conventional photos that I really like. Near Adelaide South Australia in the Adelaide Hills, some wonderful scenery can be found especially in Spring and Winter when all is green. The problem is capturing it because of its sweeping, panoramic nature - rolling hills and distant scenery interspersed with trees and vines. This shot was taken on a hilltop above the village of Lenswood from a location beside a lovely restaurant (named after its associated winery - Pike and Joyce) which I had the good fortune to attend with friends for a leisurely lunch on this day. To get the full effect, I took a series of I think 4 shots and then used Microsoft's I.C.E. panoramic software (available free on the web). It would have to be one of my favourite landscapes. Click to bring up a larger image for the full effect.

Vines and sky by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

Old 07-30-2017   #59
giganova

Wonderful thread -- keep it coming!

Old 07-31-2017   #60
jazzwave

One of my fav
I love the framing, smoke, etc..
Sadly...This beautiful place destroyed by earthquake one month after I shoot this picture.

~ron~

Old 07-31-2017   #61
x-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Michaels View Post
Vinales Cuba is a top tourist destination. 99.9% of the tourists spend a day or two viewing the incredible valleys, sheer rock faces, prehistoric painting, take a horseback ride through the tobacco fields and then leave. The closest they come to the people is buying some cigars from a local who rolls them at home from the world famous leaf they grow there.

About 6-7 years ago I was walking down the big hill from the local graveyard and spied an old man and woman under a tree in their backyard taking a break from rebuilding their house. I had to go visit and first met Manolo, a pig farmer. He had never met a foreigner before and believed that if he leaned close enough in my face and spoke loud enough that I could understand his Spanish. I always go visit and photograph them whenever I am in town. This photo was from a later visit when he ran down and caught a baby pig for my photo. I learned he was 97 years old then. I still stop and visit, bringing my sister and Cuban significant other to meet him last year. After I photographed Manolo and my sister she said the expression on her face was because he was feeling her ass as I was taking the photo. I have many photos of Manolo but this is one of my favorites.

camera geek ****: Shot with a Zeiss Ikon RF using either a Hexanon 28 f2.8 or a ZI 28mm f2.8 using either Neopan 400, HP5 or Tri-X. I am sure the experts can pick out which lens and which film.

Great shot and story!

Old 07-31-2017   #62
lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzwave View Post
One of my fav
I love the framing, smoke, etc..
Sadly...This beautiful place destroyed by earthquake one month after I shoot this picture.

~ron~
It's a great shot, Ron, but what 'beautiful place' was it taken in?

Old 07-31-2017   #63
jazzwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
It's a great shot, Ron, but what 'beautiful place' was it taken in?
Bhaktapur , Nepal

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...rthquakes.html

Old 07-31-2017   #64
lawrence

Thanks. It's hard not to respond with a cliche but hopefully the people and place are recovering...

Old 07-31-2017   #65
Bob Michaels
nobody special

I shot this photo of James Jenkins sitting in front of the closed Big C restaurant in Shelby Mississippi in 2007.

I returned 10 months later with a print to share. I found only a vacant lot. Big C had been released from prison for selling drugs from his restaurant but the health department had the building condemned and torn down. Mr. Jenkins has gotten drunk and passed out in the middle of HW 61 and been run over by a semi truck. There was no one to give the print to.

Camera geek ****: Zeiss Ikon RF. Either a ZI 35mm f2.0 or a CV 28m f3.5 using either Neopan 400 or HP5. I am sure the tech wizards can tell which.

Old 07-31-2017   #66
x-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Michaels View Post
I shot this photo of James Jenkins sitting in front of the closed Big C restaurant in Shelby Mississippi in 2007.

I returned 10 months later with a print to share. I found only a vacant lot. Big C had been released from prison for selling drugs from his restaurant but the health department had the building condemned and torn down. Mr. Jenkins has gotten drunk and passed out in the middle of HW 61 and been run over by a semi truck. There was no one to give the print to.

Camera geek ****: Zeiss Ikon RF. Either a ZI 35mm f2.0 or a CV 28m f3.5 using either Neopan 400 or HP5. I am sure the tech wizards can tell which
On again a very nice image but a sad story. Proof again we need to photograph these things when we see them. Too often when I've returned I fond I'd missed my opportunity.

Old 07-31-2017   #67
froyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterm1 View Post
Peter, I'm not one for landscapes myself, but I would strongly recommend others follow your advice to see the larger version of this image. I'm glad I did!

Old 08-02-2017   #68
Bob Michaels
nobody special

This photo shot outside the Boot Hill Saloon in Daytona Beach during Bike Week in 1973 is all that remains of my photographic efforts from the early 70's to mid 80's. I paused to make a critical analysis of what I was doing and concluded it was only taking and printing photos while not accomplishing or saying anything meaningful. I sold all my cameras and lenses as well as a nice darkroom. A year later I threw away all prints and 15 years worth of negatives and contact sheets. Today, I still think that was a good decision for me at that time. This enabled me to start fresh around 2000.

This is a scan of a print that my sister still has hanging on her wall.

Old 08-02-2017   #69
robert blu
quiet photographer

Love your photos and the related stories Bob.
robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 08-02-2017   #70
raid
Dad Photographer

You have good stuff, Bob. Thank you for sharing it here.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 08-02-2017   #71
MikeWebb

Not much of a story but we were being taken to our room in a somewhat magnificent hotel in Rhajastan and I saw this. I had my X100 to hand and got one shot off. Quite apart from the content it does ask the question - why the trousers? They are part of the staff uniform so why would they be on the door?

Hanging-B3-DSCF0319

Mike

Old 08-03-2017   #72
lynnb

Back in the 1970s I was a surf lifesaver at my local Sydney beach. Surf clubs were also the social hub of the beach-side communities. On Saturday afternoons most male club members would congregate at the local pub for drinks and to share a yarn or two about the week's activities. Our club used to go to the Dee Why Hotel, a working class pub on Sydney's northern beaches shown in this picture.

Wives and girlfriends were welcome as long as they stayed in the beer garden or ladies' lounge. The public bar, seen in this photograph was a men's only domain, regarded as too rough for ladies to enter. Men could swear, talk about wives, girlfriends and mistresses and be themselves in the public bar without having to worry about being overheard by the missus. It was usually a very noisy place due to the beer consumption and the need to make oneself heard over the horse races on the TV.

Saturday afternoon at the local, 1970s #967 by lynnb's snaps, on Flickr

I always carried my OM1 and Zuiko 28mm loaded with Tri-X. I took this while buying a round of drinks for my group back in the beer garden. The large guy in the No Jog, No Grog shirt was the club captain and quite a few of the people in the bar were club members.

A few years ago I was contacted by a literary magazine who wanted to use this image editorially. They told me there were no pictures of 1970s male pub life anywhere they could find - not all that surprising as it was not the sort of place one would normally take a camera.
Flickr

Old 08-03-2017   #73
Shab

Great thread, great stories, great photos... great idea lynnb and thankyou everybody for sharing!

Old 08-03-2017   #74
Bob Michaels
nobody special

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnb View Post
............ I always carried my OM1 and Zuiko 28mm loaded with Tri-X. I took this while ............. not the sort of place one would normally take a camera.
Inspired by lynnb's message that the important things are 1) be there 2) have a camera and 3) use it.

I got into one of those horse drawn wagons that serve as mass transit in Sancti Spiritus Cuba about 5-6 years ago because I was going cross town. This girl was already sitting there with her rooster. I had my camera in my hand or around my neck. I shot two frames. I liked this one best.

camera geek ****: Zeiss Ikon RF, either a CV 28mm f3.5 or Hexanon 28mm f2.8, either Neopan 400 or HP5. One of the experts should be able to tell you which.

Best image
Old 08-16-2017   #75
panerai

Best image

My niece was holding my niece in law's daughter on her lap and took a picture of her legs against her black pants with my Panasonic LX3 (which I still use).

Have gotten many good reviews on the image, but my nephew wasn't impressed

DON

Irish Kid
Old 08-19-2017   #76
RobinWinter

Irish Kid

Pretty intimidating to post in this thread with all the other amazing images, especially since I haven't posted any images onto the forum before (I hope I do this right!), but here goes. Last year I took a trip to Ireland. This photo was shot on my second to last day in Dublin before heading back to the US. I was walking around in the Smithfield neighborhood and this kid saw me taking pictures and started yelling at me to wait while he ran over. He then took the pose in the photo. Luckily I had my XA4 se t for pretty close focus and I caught what I think was the perfect moment. The kid immediately asked to see the photo and I tried to explain to him that it was film. His response: oh, you're making a video?! No concept of analogue photography at all, made me feel old, haha.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ireland84.jpg (32.2 KB, 40 views)

Old 08-20-2017   #77
Bob Michaels
nobody special

Ten years ago, I shot this photo of then 15 year old Omar Gordon playing at the Ground Zero Blues Club in Clarksdale Mississippi. I learned his name from inquiries of other musicians in that area as I was never able to speak to him. This photo has been in a number of exhibits over the years and I have always followed up on his progress for the photo captions. I got reports from his fellow musicians that his life has been quite up and down from playing with BB King to being an involuntary guest in government facilities. Yet, I never managed to be where he was so we could actually meet.

Last year, nine years after I made the photo, I received a telephone call from him out of the blue. He had tracked me down just to thank me for the gracious way I had portrayed his life's ups and downs. Just another reminder that it's a small world and we should be kind to everyone, if not just for basic humanitarian reasons, but that you never know when your paths may cross again.

camera geek ****: Contax G1, 45mm Planar, either Neopan 400 or HP5+ exposure determined to ensure shadows dropped to zero and highlights did not blow out while still insuring tonality in his face. Processed normally in HC-110

Old 08-29-2017   #78
johnnyrod
More cameras than shots

Some great pictures and stories here, a couple I have heard before. Keith - I remember the other images from that set, really good. Daveleo - fantastic, like a person and their shadow, or the public mask and the inner feelings.

Old 08-29-2017   #79
JChrome
Street Worker

Some excellent work here and great stories.

I think my favorite shot was taken in Komodo, Indonesia. I stayed aboard a little skiff there captained by a salty old Brit for about a week in 2011. Above water, the landscape is like a Dr. Seuss book. Long, oddly shaped trees with little puffs of leaves at the top like pom-poms. Luscious green islands the size of a barge dot the landscape. And the water is perfectly flat. Not a wave in sight. Which is just incredible considering its... the ocean.

And under the water is even more of a wonderland. Biodiversity just exploded there. On one dive, all I could see was pastel pinks and oranges of the corals during a sunset. Fish, manta rays, sharks... all of it... just magnificent.

My favorite shot is of a sea whip goby I took resting on it's orange whip.

Voyeristic roadside vendor
Old 08-30-2017   #80
Bob Michaels
nobody special

Voyeristic roadside vendor

This started off as a still life of green peppers and red tomatoes at a roadside stand. Then the vendor stepped into the background of the photo. When she stepped even closer, I asked if it was OK that I removed the green peppers and rearranged the tomatoes. Then I asked her to step even closer. Even closer. Then she leaned over the table while rotating her shoulders forward and calmly said "like this?".

She never gave any external indication that she knew the scene she was providing but there is no doubt in my mind she understood. Especially since I was very close shooting with a 17mm lens.

I stopped by two weeks later to give her a print as I was really curious about her reaction. But she had moved her stand and I have not seen her since.

Camera geek ****: Nikon D-70 w/ Tokina 17mm lens